BYU softball takes down Cal 8-7 (8)...

1,273 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bear8995
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BYU 8, California 7 Box Score (PDF) - University of California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

The Bears (4-3) have offense this season but the pitching staff is holding the team back...The two freshmen
starting pitchers, Haylei Archer & Sona Halajian, could not hold down the Cougar's offense this afternoon at Stanford, allowing 8 earned runs. Each struck out only one BYU batter while allowing 8 free passes (walks/HBP) between them. I did not see the game but the defense seems to be improving with no errors today.

BYU was 0-7 against the Pac Nine this season before squeezing out their first victory vs Cal. This is not a good omen for conference play. The Cougars next face Stanford twice over the weekend. GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
Super bummed about this loss. On the bright side, Sparcino is the early hero of the season. Walk-off against St. Mary's, 3 run homer with 2 outs in the 7th to tie the game... keep it up!
CalFanatic
Zobac hits a grand slam to break open a 3-3 game! 7-3 vs UCSB in the 6th.
Schroeder71
Grand Slam Gives Bears 7-5 Win Over UCSB - University of California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

Kacey "at the bat" comes through for the Mudville nine, today! Chloe Romero pitched a complete game (140 pitches) and yielded five unearned runs (three errors and a PB). I withdraw my compliment for Cal's defensive improvement from yesterday.

It's only an observation but Chelsea Spencer still seems as if she hasn't settled on her best lineup, yet. The new HC is juggling a ton of position players (17). Over eight games, she has *started* three shortstops, three third basemen, two second sackers and two first basemen. A couple of players have played more than one position so the totals won't add up. I believe that Chelsea has started two catchers and at least three players at each of the three outfield positions. The only position players that have not received a start are three players from the 2020 recruit class [CF Diamond Holland, C Alexis Bishop & bullpen C Amanda Kondo] and a soph transfer shortstop, Hope Alley.

https://calbears.com/sports/softball/stats/2021/pdf

The Bears face my alma-mater, UCSB (1-6), again tomorrow in Berkeley. Go Gauchos! GO BEARS!
Schroeder71
Cal lucks out again against my alma-mater, UCSB, 1-0. Cal's two frosh pitchers combined for a shutout but where did the offense go vs a pitching staff in excess of 5 runs per game. The Gauchos out hit the Bears 7-6 but neither team demonstrated any power. Mostly singles and approximately half of 'em never left the infield. I'm glad this game was not live streamed.
Softball vs UC Santa Barbara on 3/6/2021 - Box Score - University of California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

Tomorrow Cal faces a team with a winning record in Nevada

Bear8995
Just curious, how did we "luck out?"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.