Cal-Stanford Softball Series Canceled

3,222 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 59bear
SanseiBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
due to COVID-19 issues within our program. Did Cal AD announce this? https://gostanford.com/news/2021/4/15/softball-cal-series-canceled.aspx
Schroeder71
This series cancellation due to COVID-19 is generated by the Cal softball team. Too bad-the Bears had an opportunity to be competitive against the Cardinal. The UCLA four game series in Berkeley was already cancelled. I believe that 40% of the conference games to date have not been played by Cal.
SFCALBear72
SanseiBear said:

due to COVID-19 issues within our program. Did Cal AD announce this? https://gostanford.com/news/2021/4/15/softball-cal-series-canceled.aspx

Nothing about the cancelled series on Calbears.com this evening. A story published yesterday talks about rekindling the rivalry and looking forward to facing them this weekend.

Hmmmm.
calbears4ever
On their schedule, it says it is canceled
CalFanatic
The second covid related issue this season while most teams haven't had any. I am slightly confused.
BearinOC
So for the second time this season, we have had covid related issues? Luckily the vaccines are available now to everyone.
calbearsfan
Maybe they caught it from the Men's Tennis team who hasn't had a match in 3 months
calbears4ever
It's best to not assume the source
OBear073akaSMFan
BearinOC said:

So for the second time this season, we have had covid related issues? Luckily the vaccines are available now to everyone.
by the time they get their 2nd shot the season might be over!!
BearinOC
Then let's hope for the JNJ to be readministered.
Schroeder71
Cal softball cancelled a mid-week contest vs San Jose State and the four game series this weekend scheduled for Berkeley vs Arizona State. I believe that makes it 50/50 in conference with 3 series cancelled and 3 played.
Softball | Pac-12 (pac-12.com)
GO BEARS!
SpartanBear20
Speaking of San Jose State, former Cal assistant Tammy Lohmann is off to a rough start. She inherited a team that went 21-5 until "The Event" of March 2020. Since then, the best pitcher and two of the best hitters left, and San Jose State is now 5-18. Unbelievably, six conference games were forfeit losses due to what SJSU said was "a review of non-COVID-19 related student conduct."

I had high hopes for Lohmann, but they've been quickly dashed.
BearinOC
SpartanBear20 said:

Speaking of San Jose State, former Cal assistant Tammy Lohmann is off to a rough start. She inherited a team that went 21-5 until "The Event" of March 2020. Since then, the best pitcher and two of the best hitters left, and San Jose State is now 5-18. Unbelievably, six conference games were forfeit losses due to what SJSU said was "a review of non-COVID-19 related student conduct."

The softball is about pitching and hitting. With them gone, Fugit abou-tit.
dimitrig
BearinOC said:

SpartanBear20 said:

Why did they leave?
SpartanBear20
dimitrig said:

BearinOC said:

SpartanBear20 said:

Why did they leave?

They left because SJSU didn't renew the contract of the previous coach Peter Turner, who routinely had SJSU in the top third of the Mountain West Conference standings including the 2017 conference championship. Two of the players left after Lohmann's hire in September.
BearinOC
Surprised it's not about his son and players.dimitrig said:

BearinOC said:

SpartanBear20 said:

Why did they leave?

https://247sports.com/college/san-jose-state/LongFormArticle/Commentary-Thankless-dismissal-Peter-Turner-San-Jose-State-Spartans-softball-coach-149072496/#149072496_1
SpartanBear20
Turner, in fact, recently sued SJSU for wrongful termination:
Quote:

Turner, 63, alleges in Santa Clara County Superior Court that Tuite orchestrated a scheme to oust him after she became the athletic director in 2017.

"Turner has never been officially written up or reprimanded while at SJSU and his performance reviews are inconsistent with the decision to terminate him," the 25-page complaint said. "However, much like Tuite has done to others, Turner suffered the ultimate retaliation. Tuite and her tight-knit group of allies at SJSU have worked to eradicate numerous employees over the past three years."

The suit alleges Turner, a member of the National Softball Hall of Fame, was the target of two Title IX investigations initiated by Tuite. Turner and his son, former assistant coach Chase Turner, were subjects of investigations from mid-2018 to January 2019. Chase Turner was accused of sexual harassment in the investigation and put on administrative leave, according to media reports. Peter Turner was alleged to favor certain athletes for playing time, the reports said.

The men were exonerated, according to the lawsuit.

"Tuite works in tandem with other departments in the university to avoid proper protocols and violate confidentiality so they can reach the predetermined conclusions to dismiss or eradicate anyone who does not agree with them," the complaint alleges.

The suit says Turner was let go on July 10, the day after he filed a grievance through the CSU system alleging discrimination, harassment, retaliation by athletic administrators.
Although non-renewal of a contract doesn't exactly equal "firing" - the case is basically built around allegations of a hostile work environment and vendetta by the athletic director.
Schroeder71
Cal travels to Arizona for two games on Saturday night (May 1st) and Sunday afternoon, May 2nd. The Bears have not played since April 11th and missed 12 games. There has been zero communication with the fans about the three week Covid-19 absence.
https://calbears.com/news/2021/4/28/softball-cal-returns-to-action-at-no-9-arizona-this-week.aspx
I don't know if I'll watch the game on-line or not. The Giants-Padres game is televised at 6pm tonight, too.
GO BEARS!
Schroeder71
Arizona has seven RS senior & RS 5th year players on their 22 member roster. Five are position starters and the other two are 2 of their 3 pitcher staff. I don't want to accuse UofA of corruption but I don't know that I've seen a stacked deck ever like this. Cal has zero seniors. Two of the Wildcats other key players are RS juniors.

2021 Softball Roster - University of Arizona Athletics (arizonawildcats.com)

I watched three innings until the score was 3-0. The Cal infield has to be able to make routine defensive plays when the pitcher executes and get ground balls. Arizona had four infield hits. The only two hits they had in the first inning were hit directly to Cal's SS Tatum Anzaldo and she could not get the ball to first base "in-time" for outs. Two other balls went to Cal's 3B Sophie Medellion for infield singles. The lead-off hitter for UofA, frosh LF Meono went 3-3 without getting the ball out of the infield. No wonder that she possesse a .496% batting average.

I would think that our new HC Chelsea Spencer would put extreme emphasis on this part of the game since she was a shortstop on a national championship Cal team.

I liked the new Cal lineup that only struckout a single time. It appears that Kacey Zobac is the odd man out.
GO BEARS!
Schroeder71
Evidently, frosh pitcher Haylei Archer is sick or injured because she is unavailable in this series. Chloe Romero started the 2nd game and lasted 1 1/3 innings, yielding 8 runs on 8 hits. Her rise ball was lifted for a pair of HRs early. Haylei Archer is a sinker ball pitcher that generates a majority of ground balls. Anyone know why she is not participating after a dozen game lay-off?

https://calbears.com/documents/2021/5/2/41CAL.pdf

Thankfully this was not a four game series without one of our two decent pitchers. My goodness. Cal is a long way from the upper division of this softball conference.

BTW, I noticed that Alex Perez is no longer listed on the roster. I would expect multiple transfers out of the program by disgruntled players that could start elsewhere and are not seeing enough PT under Chelsea Spencer. Cal now has 25 players and will bring in four more recruits in the fall of 2021. Two of the incoming recruits are pitchers which would bring the staff number up to six. Alex Perez was also a LHP so she could see the handwriting on the wall.
59bear
Schroeder71 said:

Evidently, frosh pitcher Haylei Archer is sick or injured because she is unavailable in this series. Chloe Romero started the 2nd game and lasted 1 1/3 innings, yielding 8 runs on 8 hits. Her rise ball was lifted for a pair of HRs early. Haylei Archer is a sinker ball pitcher that generates a majority of ground balls. Anyone know why she is not participating after a dozen game lay-off?

https://calbears.com/documents/2021/5/2/41CAL.pdf

Thankfully this was not a four game series without one of our two decent pitchers. My goodness. Cal is a long way from the upper division of this softball conference.

BTW, I noticed that Alex Perez is no longer listed on the roster. I would expect multiple transfers out of the program by disgruntled players that could start elsewhere and are not seeing enough PT under Chelsea Spencer. Cal now has 25 players and will bring in four more recruits in the fall of 2021. Two of the incoming recruits are pitchers which would bring the staff number up to six. Alex Perez was also a LHP so she could see the handwriting on the wall.
This has been an interesting year with this very young roster. The offense shows more aggressiveness than we've seen in recent years and I'm hopeful we'll see continued growth. Clearly, the pitching and fielding need to improve if we are to gain ground on the leaders so there is a long way to go.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.