Olympic Trials TRACK & FIELD

5,745 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DiabloWags
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
To watch the Olympic Track & Field Trials is to behold super humans. FANTASTIC! Brings back memories of all those Kennedy Games I went to at Edwards.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Cal Junkie
These are absolutely phenomenal athletes. I coach a guy who ran the equivalent of a sub-3:58 mile and he did not even qualify for these U.S. Olympic Trials. Everyone has really stepped up the overall competition a notch, especially the women. Women have had access to the sport for about a half century less than men, and they are shredding records and deepening competition levels across the board.
bearister
Do you want to know a stat that I find hard to believe: In 52 years all they have been able to improve on Lee Evans 400m PB is .83 seconds.

coachdeke
"Bay Area Sriders " bring back great memories.
OBear073akaSMFan
San jose was the hot bed of track with lee evan, carlos, and tommie Smith! Also at the same time the women's equivalent was the San Jose Cindergals with frances Laurieu (sp) one of their young track stars.
Schroeder71
Cal Track: Inika McPherson 2nd in High Jump at U.S. Trials - Olympic Status Uncertain - Sports Illustrated Cal Bears News, Analysis and More

Inika McPherson from the state of Texas and UC Berkeley finished second in the Olympic Trials high jump. Has her status been clarified? GO BEARS!
OBear073akaSMFan
Schroeder71 said:

Cal Track: Inika McPherson 2nd in High Jump at U.S. Trials - Olympic Status Uncertain - Sports Illustrated Cal Bears News, Analysis and More

Inika McPherson from the state of Texas and UC Berkeley finished second in the Olympic Trials high jump. Has her status been clarified? GO BEARS!
Still haven't heard anything but Inika McPherson only 5-5 & at 34 years old jumping 6-4 is still amazing & missing the standard of 6-5 by a single inch is disappointing. I guess she still waiting to see how many more people have reached the standard.
Cal Junkie
Yeah it's kind of a waiting game now. The time window has passed for her to go chase an Olympic Games automatic qualifying height.
joe amos yaks
OBear073akaSMFan said:

San jose was the hot bed of track with lee evan, carlos, and tommie Smith! Also at the same time the women's equivalent was the San Jose Cindergals with frances Laurieu (sp) one of their young track stars.
Why do fans continue to overlook the 4th member of Coach Winter's Spartan sprints group and relay teams?

The great Wayne Herman was a force and was good enough to run 100 time of a 9.4 seconds. Not bad when your sprint group's "slowest" was a 9.4.

He ran the 440 and mile relays, and the 100 / 220 / 400 yard sprints.
OBear073akaSMFan
Wasn't there a person on the team name Shackerford too?
bearister
bearister said:

Do you want to know a stat that I find hard to believe: In 52 years all they have been able to improve on Lee Evans 400m PB is .83 seconds.

Over that same 52 year period only .64 seconds has been shaved off Tommie Smith's PB 200M time.

bearister
Prandini is a baller.

Jenna Prandini, Allyson Felix advance past U.S. Trials semifinals in 200m | NBC Sports

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/jenna-prandini-allyson-felix-advance-past-us-trials-semifinals-200m
BearoutEast67
Where are all the Cal track runners? I keep seeing other PAC-12 schools, even WSU, but no Bears.
Does anyone know if we are keeping Edwards Stadium on campus? If USC can field great teams in an urban setting, why can't the Bears?
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
coachdeke
BearoutEast67 said:

Where are all the Cal track runners? I keep seeing other PAC-12 schools, even WSU, but no Bears.
Does anyone know if we are keeping Edwards Stadium on campus? If USC can field great teams in an urban setting, why can't the Bears?

Cal isn't competitive due to number of scholarships and resources. They couldn't even keep their sweatsuits as of 8-10 years ago. I don't know if things have changed.
Cal Junkie
coachdeke said:

BearoutEast67 said:

Cal isn't competitive due to number of scholarships and resources. They couldn't even keep their sweatsuits as of 8-10 years ago. I don't know if things have changed.
I think Cal can compete with anyone in the country, resources or not. We have a lot of very good athletes who would like to come here, and the key would be to organize their focus into a common goal. Pick your targets, get dialed, train hard and smart, stay in balance, and beat people you shouldn't beat on paper. My athletes do it all the time and we get nothing.
bearister
bearister said:

Prandini is a baller.

Jenna Prandini, Allyson Felix advance past U.S. Trials semifinals in 200m | NBC Sports

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/jenna-prandini-allyson-felix-advance-past-us-trials-semifinals-200m

coachdeke
Cal Junkie said:

coachdeke said:

BearoutEast67 said:

I think Cal can compete with anyone in the country, resources or not. We have a lot of very good athletes who would like to come here, and the key would be to organize their focus into a common goal. Pick your targets, get dialed, train hard and smart, stay in balance, and beat people you shouldn't beat on paper. My athletes do it all the time and we get nothing.

Cal has not been a factor, nationally, for 50 years. College track is not what it used to be with so many young athletes turning pro. I see no evidence that we could be a factor without millions of dollars of new money. I think it's in the department's best interest to drop men's track and cross country. This way they could, at least, more fully scholarship the team and add out of state recruits on the women's side. The Cal athletic department is just too big.
bearister
LSU and Oregon have some ballers on the track.
Cal Junkie
coachdeke said:

Cal Junkie said:

coachdeke said:

BearoutEast67 said:

Cal has not been a factor, nationally, for 50 years. College track is not what it used to be with so many young athletes turning pro. I see no evidence that we could be a factor without millions of dollars of new money. I think it's in the department's best interest to drop men's track and cross country. This way they could, at least, more fully scholarship the team and add out of state recruits on the women's side. The Cal athletic department is just too big.
Let me take a crack at it, you'll see.
bearister
bearister
Prandini in the Olympic 100m now.

https://abc7news.com/sports/shacarri-richardson-will-miss-olympic-100-after-marijuana-test/10853409/
OBear073akaSMFan
Think she with her 4th place finish she will be on the 400 relay only & not the 100 meters race though she is in the 200 individual race.
bearister
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Think she with her 4th place finish she will be on the 400 relay only & not the 100 meters race though she is in the 200 individual race.

With Sha'Carri Richardson out doesn't 4th become 3rd and now in?
If I were Philosopher King I, would not deem weed a PED (although they say it helps with anxiety and relaxing muscles). During Ms. Richardson's post race interviews, I commented to my wife that she seemed high. I wonder if she fired up a fatty in the Hayward Field parking lot pre race?
OBear073akaSMFan
I'm embarrassed. You're of vourse right!
MarylandBear
Cal Junkie said:

coachdeke said:

Cal Junkie said:

coachdeke said:

BearoutEast67 said:

I haven't posted here in a million years but I get frustrated when Cal people say that Cal can not compete in XC and track and field. Cal could absolutely be a factor with the right coach in place. Look at Northern Arizona University and what they've done recently in the distance events with their fantastic coach. While NAU has some built in advantages for distance runners (namely altitude), I seriously doubt there's a whole lot of money behind that program. Cal may not be at altitude but it obviously has its own built-in advantages - great academic reputation, vibrant campus and area, good athletic facilities (if they keep Edwards), perfect running weather year round.

A Cal coach should be able to attend the CIF State Meet and grab a whole bunch of top recruits with nothing more than perhaps a few preferred admission slots. Heck, even without admissions assistance, I bet the right coach could encourage academically oriented top runners to apply and get athletes that way.

There's no reason why Cal should finish in the bottom tier of the Pac in XC especially. I for one am for giving Cal Junkie a shot. Cal is going to have a hard time attracting a coach from outside the Bay Area given the high cost of living. If you can get a top coach with a Cal affiliation, passion for the school and the program, and who is already lving here, it's a win-win.
Cal Junkie
MarylandBear said:

Cal Junkie said:

coachdeke said:

Cal Junkie said:

coachdeke said:

BearoutEast67 said:

I haven't posted here in a million years but I get frustrated when Cal people say that Cal can not compete in XC and track and field. Cal could absolutely be a factor with the right coach in place. Look at Northern Arizona University and what they've done recently in the distance events with their fantastic coach. While NAU has some built in advantages for distance runners (namely altitude), I seriously doubt there's a whole lot of money behind that program. Cal may not be at altitude but it obviously has its own built-in advantages - great academic reputation, vibrant campus and area, good athletic facilities (if they keep Edwards), perfect running weather year round.

A Cal coach should be able to attend the CIF State Meet and grab a whole bunch of top recruits with nothing more than perhaps a few preferred admission slots. Heck, even without admissions assistance, I bet the right coach could encourage academically oriented top runners to apply and get athletes that way.

There's no reason why Cal should finish in the bottom tier of the Pac in XC especially. I for one am for giving Cal Junkie a shot. Cal is going to have a hard time attracting a coach from outside the Bay Area given the high cost of living. If you can get a top coach with a Cal affiliation, passion for the school and the program, and who is already lving here, it's a win-win.

Thank you for the encouraging words of support, MarylandBear. I agree that Cal should be able to recruit top tier distance runners in-state. I'm not cowed by the challenging prospect of going after Stanford, Oregon and Colorado within the PAC 12 conference. (They've dominated the conference and NCAA podiums in cross country and in the distance events). I want to go after them and knock them off of their high horse.

Cal IS preserving Edwards Track Stadium, and I wrote a proposal and sent it to Chancellor Christ a few years ago. Based on our email exchanges it helped shape the decision-making process, however I also sent it to Athletic Director James Knowlton, who was appreciative but admittedly, I sensed he was more detached in his response.

Some points I made:

1. Edwards Stadium was built in 1932 as a stand-alone facility that was dedicated solely to track & field, the first of its kind in the United States.

2. It is designated as a National Historic Landmark.

3. It was named after a U.S. military officer.

4. Cal track and field is the most diverse team on campus.

5. Cal cross country consistently has the highest aggregate GPA of any sports team at Cal.

6. Edwards Stadium is the university's designated gathering place in the event of a major disaster.

7. The track facility has become essential to the university as it serves a wide swath of the student body, its other sports teams (for conditioning purposes), as well as the broader community.

8. Take out one half of the seating (west or east stands) and utilize it for student housing or merchants (submitted with diagrams).

I made many other points but you get the gist. Thanks again for your kudos. I would not let you down and GO Bears!
OBear073akaSMFan
Schroeder71 said:

Even though Inika came in 2nd in the HJ (6-4) she was passed over and did not make the team. Her 6-4 was only made the provisional mark and not quite the Olympic's automatic qualifying mark. The criteria then is based on the world ranking.

https://www.panews.com/2021/07/08/inika-mcpherson-looking-for-answers-after-being-left-off-olympic-team/
BayAreaClubCoach
The going rate for a Mike Smith caliber coach these days is about $150k for XC head/assistant track coach$250k for head/director. It appears Coach Johnson has made the tough decision to focus on throws and sprintswhich I get considering the funding level/success of the throws/outside aid available for the demographic most often successful in the sprints. All the more reason they have nothing to lose by giving Coach Rose a shot.
OBear073akaSMFan
Looks like Cal has hire Kayla Ferron as their new assistance XC and track coach. She graduated from UoA in 2018 so she is a rather newbie as a coach so they obviously not putting much into their distance program. Her previous position was a volunteer assistant coach in cross country and distance at Grand Canyon University. XC season starts soon..and have they even signed a distance recruit for this current year? Expecting many walk-ons.
joe amos yaks
Yes.

400 Meter Relay (non-record):
1966 -- Wayne Herman / Tim Knowles / John Bambury / Tommie Smith: time 39.7c

1600 Meter Relay Record:
1967 -- Ken Shackelford / Bob Talmadge / Lee Evans / Tommie Smith: time -- 3:02.4

All time San Jose State track and field records.
BayAreaClubCoach
https://sjsuspartans.com/sports/mens-track-and-field

Hope all those sprint studs he signed don't follow him.
DiabloWags
MarylandBear said:

There's no reason why Cal should finish in the bottom tier of the Pac in XC especially. I for one am for giving Cal Junkie a shot. Cal is going to have a hard time attracting a coach from outside the Bay Area given the high cost of living. If you can get a top coach with a Cal affiliation, passion for the school and the program, and who is already living here, it's a win-win.

I was a Cal T&F volunteer for roughly 6 years.
Let me try and add some insight and context to what CAL is dealing with.

1.) Cal coaches attend the CIF State Meet every year. Their biggest single challenge is trying to recruit an athlete that meets CAL's academic requirements. The last thing you want to do is recruit the best sprinter or jumper in the State, only to have them drop "out" after one year and transfer. After the APR went down the tubes with Jeff Tedford, the Cal Athletic Department was forced to increase academic requirements even further for recruited athletes. This makes recruiting tough.

2.) Strategically speaking, its highly unlikely that CAL can run and maintain a "balanced" program with scholarship athletes across ALL events. First off, they are underfunded from a scholarship basis. It's been this way for decades and there has never been much of a "connection" with alums to bring in money into the program. Former coach Ed Miller did try in the past. But former head Coach Tony Sandoval just wasnt interested in fund-raising because it meant (a) more work for him and (b) he didnt want any donors to have any leverage with him. - - - I think that it's safe to say that after the AD's threat under Sandy Barbour to cut Baseball back in 2011, coaching staff's have to get involved in fund-raising. It's mandatory if you want to be able to compete. Jack Clark (Rugby) and Dave Durden (Swimming) have done an excellent job at this!

Moreover, CAL is at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to recruiting "out of state" athletes. Why?

Because the Arizona and Washington schools have allowed their Athletic Departments to charge "out of state" recruits only "in-state" tuition. This clearly gives 4 schools in the Conference an advantage; especially over an underfunded program like CAL. - - - Until the UC Regents and State Legislature changes their position on this, it is what it is.

FWIW: The last time I saw a "balanced" program actually work at CAL in recent history was under former Head Coach Chris Huffins on the Women's side. I believe it was 2007 and the NCAA Championships were held up the road in Sacramento at Hornet Stadium. The "planets" were all in alignment and the Women's Team finished an amazing 8th in the Nation on the backs of Inika McPherson (6th, HJ), Kelechi Anyanwu (#1 Discus), Carrie Johnson (#6, Hammer), and Alysia Johnson (#1, 800m).

3.) The only way for an underfunded program like Cal to make "noise" in the Pac-12 is to run a program that is weighted to just a couple of events. Spend your scholarship dollars on the weight events (like they are currently doing under highly respected Coach Moe Saatara) and the jumps under head coach Robyne Johnson. Obviously, you've got to be "right" when it comes to your recruiting. Both on academics and athletics. But I believe that this is the only REALISTIC route to go. It's the only way that you're gonna be able to generate points in the Pac-12. - - - Coach Saatara is in his 8th season and he's already enjoyed numerous successes in the hammer, shot, and discus. Most notable, was obviously Canadian Camryn Rogers with her 5th place finish at the Tokyo Olympics.

I love my alma-mater.
But going forward one needs to be realistic and most strategic if you want to have an impact in the Pac-12.

OBear073akaSMFan
Thank you for your input Wags. Haven't heard from you in ...a long time.
Cal Junkie
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Looks like Cal has hire Kayla Ferron as their new assistance XC and track coach. She graduated from UoA in 2018 so she is a rather newbie as a coach so they obviously not putting much into their distance program. Her previous position was a volunteer assistant coach in cross country and distance at Grand Canyon University. XC season starts soon..and have they even signed a distance recruit for this current year? Expecting many walk-ons.

I support this hiring for a few reasons. Cal needed a female coach to relate to the distance women, the word was they were feeling a little neglected with all-male distance coaches. Kayla Ferron was a volunteer at Grand Canyon State University, which might not sound too impressive, but the head distance coach is Sara Slattery. She was a superstar at Colorado under Mark Wetmore, who coached me for a few years. Sara would be an excellent mentor for a fledgling young female coach and if Kayla was paying attention, she picked up a lot of wisdom along the way. For now she is going to be assisting Bobby Lockhart with the distance program, but I'd wager that she is pretty competent for a new and young coach, based on her exposure to the Colorado angle.
OBear073akaSMFan
Thanks. My apologies for short changing her background. Her limited experience in recruiting is a sign though, perhaps as wags, suggested T&F
de-emphasizing certain events!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.