Coach Teri..allegations.. (long article)

24,011 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Oski87
OBear073akaSMFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Was posted on the Bear insiders but belongs on the Olympic message board too. Doesn't look good.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/05/24/cal-swimmers-allege-coach-teri-mckeever-bullied-and-verbally-abused-them-for-years/
Intuit
The article makes the Cal Athletic Department Leadership looks completely incompetent.

Knowlton should be sacked if his department has knowingly tolerated this long-standing behavior.

Immediate action from the chancellor is necessary.
coachdeke
The swimmers complaining were not her top swimmers. Her transfer rate has been very low. Training to be the best is only for the few and the article didn't only gave one side. Neil McGuire faced the same type of attack; he's still at Cal and nobody transferred as far as I know.
It might be time for her to retire, anyway, but there seems to be a rush to judgement. I see many swimming alums at their meets. There's always more than one side to a story.
DiabloWags
coachdeke said:

The swimmers complaining were not her top swimmers. Her transfer rate has been very low. Training to be the best is only for the few and the article didn't only gave one side. Neil McGuire faced the same type of attack; he's still at Cal and nobody transferred as far as I know.
It might be time for her to retire, anyway, but there seems to be a rush to judgement. I see many swimming alums at their meets. There's always more than one side to a story.

From the article:

• Of the 61 swimmers who joined the Cal team as freshmen between the 2013-2014 and 2020-21 seasons, 26 (42.6 percent) left the program before completing their NCAA eligibility. Four swimmers on the 2021-22 roster have either transferred or placed themselves in the NCAA's transfer portal since the season's end.
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
bearchamp
The 42% is meaningless. In swimming, very little incentive to go on if not one of the top performers. Half the team can't qualify for the NCAAs. Why bother?
DiabloWags
bearchamp said:

The 42% is meaningless. In swimming, very little incentive to go on if not one of the top performers. Half the team can't qualify for the NCAAs. Why bother?

Yet, that doesnt apply to Chloe Devine.
One of the top 3 distance swimmers in Cal history.
She was an NCAA qualifier in 3 individual events as a Freshman.
She quit before completing her final two years of eligibility.
bearz012
coachdeke said:

Cindy Tran, a six-time NCAA champion who swam for Cal from the 2010-11 to 2013-14 seasons, said McKeever's alleged bullying also helped push them to the brink of taking them own life in 2014.
OBear073akaSMFan
coachdeke said:

Cindy Tran won the NCAA 100 back title twice so probably the most notable however there were a couple of unidentified swimmers too. However you do get kind of concern (I did) when recruiting seem to significantly slowed down after the fab 4 & despite our winning the NCAA 'ship too. Also a couple of our top swimmers chose to swim with coach Durden instead of stay with the Teri after graduating from Cal. I think the signs are there that a change is needed.
Polodad
Both of the swimming magazines, Swimming World and SwimSwam, are carrying the story. Any competitive swimmer in the world will know of these allegations by the end of the day. T. McKeever's renowned reputation will not recover.
DiabloWags
Polodad said:

Both of the swimming magazines, Swimming World and SwimSwam, are carrying the story. Any competitive swimmer in the world will know of these allegations by the end of the day. T. McKeever's renowned reputation will not recover.

Yup.
And I have a feeling that Chancellor Christ is gonna get involved.

If this article is painting an accurate picture of what transpired not just with McKeever, but with senior administrator's inside the Cal Athletic Department that are in positions of authority for athletes seeking remedy then there appears to be a total systemic breakdown involved here.

Missy Franklin came back to CAL in 2016, but she chose to swim for the Men's Head coach, Dave Durden. She declined to be interviewed for this article. I can imagine that there will be "others" who wont be afraid to step forward now and speak up.
juarezbear
DiabloWags said:

Polodad said:

Yup.
And I have a feeling that Chancellor Christ is gonna get involved.

If this article is painting an accurate picture of what transpired not just with McKeever, but with senior administrator's inside the Cal Athletic Department that are in positions of authority for athletes seeking remedy then there appears to be a total systemic breakdown involved here.

Missy Franklin came back to CAL in 2016, but she chose to swim for the Men's Head coach, Dave Durden. She declined to be interviewed for this article. I can imagine that there will be "others" who wont be afraid to step forward now and speak up
Given this has allegedly been an issue for several years, I'm actually surprised this hasn't surfaced sooner.
coachdeke
DiabloWags said:

coachdeke said:

From the article:

• Of the 61 swimmers who joined the Cal team as freshmen between the 2013-2014 and 2020-21 seasons, 26 (42.6 percent) left the program before completing their NCAA eligibility. Four swimmers on the 2021-22 roster have either transferred or placed themselves in the NCAA's transfer portal since the season's end.

I wasn't aware of that number, but I don't remember any top swimmers transferring out, except the distance freestyler, Cierra Runge, who transferred several times. I know several transferred in. There's always been an attrition rate due to retirement and those who aren't going to be NCAA scorers.
By t
Boot
Seriously? If it was maybe one or two swimmers that would be the case. She's gotta go.
DiabloWags
Boot said:

Seriously? If it was maybe one or two swimmers that would be the case. She's gotta go.

I would probably include Jennifer Simon-O'Neill as well if her alleged remarks to a Cal swimmer are found accurate.

Jennifer Simon-O'Neill - Executive Senior Associate Athletics Director, Chief of Staff & Senior Woman Administrator - Staff Directory - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)
Bearfan7
@coachdeke - You appear to be very focused on her "top swimmers" (as if being not one of the "top swimmers" should subject one to the abuse). Way too many swimmers came forward with issues with Teri's coaching style. If you are in fact a coach...I hope you don't coach this way (doesn't work in this day and age).
DiabloWags
coachdeke said:

DiabloWags said:

coachdeke said:

From the article:

I wasn't aware of that number, but I don't remember any top swimmers transferring out

So you only care about the TOP swimmers???

Dont you find it odd that not a single CAL swimmer has come out to defend McKeever?

Natalie and Missy have been posting on social media since this story broke. Not a word about their former coach.
Bobodeluxe
Twenty seven, or whatever, years, and the story comes out.

Are we talking $700,000,000.00 UCLA gynecologist type payout?

Better raise those ticket prices, and redirect that massive NIL fund.
HoopDreams
absolutely devastating and abhorrent

high-level college athletes are already under unimaginable pressure, stress, and expectations that are impossible to meet (plus the pressure and stress of academics). Adding on top of that, to be abused by the head coach is just unforgivable and beyond unacceptable

Baller4
Bearfan7 said:

@coachdeke - You appear to be very focused on her "top swimmers" (as if being not one of the "top swimmers" should subject one to the abuse). Way too many swimmers came forward with issues with Teri's coaching style. If you are in fact a coach...I hope you don't coach this way (doesn't work in this day and age).
As long as the "Top Swimmers" are winning, what's the problem?!!

I guess the Deke here is that he is a coach. First it was Mike Teti, and even though those allegation came from the Olympic Rowing team. Coaching style is coaching style and I am sure some Cal rowers received a taste of his style.

Just because no one came forward before, does not mean that it is no big deal.

The problem for a student-athlete, if they come forward, will they lose any scholarship money. Or do they lose their place on the team, no matter if they are not a top athlete or not! If a coach is this way just coaching, how do you think a coach is going to be towards an athlete
Also, I am sure everyone has heard the Jim Jordan story and how he turned his back on Ohio State wrestlers who did come forward.

Maybe athletic departments need to put more of a 0 tolerance clause in a coaches contract about putting programs in jeopardy with allegations of this nature. Yes, you will have athletes who think they are getting screwed over and will complain. That type of complaint is at a different level than what was in this article. Coaches want athletes to be accountable for their practice and play and make adjustments when needed. Well coaches need to be accountable for their style and treatment of their players, and make adjustments when needed and not just deny! Athletes emotional make ups are different today than in the past. Does not mean the athlete is soft, just means that a coach needs to make adjustments to get the best out of their athletes. Athletes do not make it to this level by being soft. There is a breaking point for everybody, athlete or not.
DiabloWags
From the article:

"Clark said she met with Simon-O'Neill, the Cal athletic department's senior women's administrator, to complain about body-shaming issues and that McKeever violated federal privacy laws by revealing her Crohn's disease to the rest of the team without her permission. Simon-O'Neill apologized for the privacy breach and said she would talk McKeever about privacy issues, Clark said.

But Simon-O'Neill added, according to Clark, "'Teri is producing Olympians, she's an Olympic coach. There's really nothing more I can do for you.'

"She was so biased. I was trying to bring up real issues.
She totally had Teri's back. She did not have the athlete's back."
juarezbear
DiabloWags said:

From the article:

"Clark said she met with Simon-O'Neill, the Cal athletic department's senior women's administrator, to complain about body-shaming issues and that McKeever violated federal privacy laws by revealing her Crohn's disease to the rest of the team without her permission. Simon-O'Neill apologized for the privacy breach and said she would talk McKeever about privacy issues, Clark said.

But Simon-O'Neill added, according to Clark, "'Teri is producing Olympians, she's an Olympic coach. There's really nothing more I can do for you.'

If true, Simon-O'Neill is in deep doo-doo. This is also a teachable moment for these kids for later in life that HR or P&O or whatever euphemistic departmental title is used, that these departments are theoretically set up to protect the employee when in fact they exist to protect the employer or admin. That's been my experience working at two different Forbes 500 companies. They're set up to support and defend whoever is one's superior and their superiors.
Bobodeluxe
juarezbear said:

DiabloWags said:

From the article:

If true, Simon-O'Neill is in deep doo-doo. This is also a teachable moment for these kids for later in life that HR or P&O or whatever euphemistic departmental title is used, that these departments are theoretically set up to protect the employee when in fact they exist to protect the employer or admin. That's been my experience working at two different Forbes 500 companies. They're set up to support and defend whoever is one's superior and their superiors.
Why do you hate America?
DiabloWags
juarezbear said:

DiabloWags said:

From the article:

Agreed 100%

HR is the 800 lb gorilla in much of Corporate America that does nothing but try and protect management.
My brother works at Federal Express and has had first-hand knowledge of this.

I think that Simon-O'Neill is about to lose her $200,000 a year job.
There's gonna be a lot of heat (from our Chancellor) on Knowlton to make some "changes".

DiabloWags
Bobodeluxe said:

juarezbear said:

Why do you hate America?

Your conflation is absurd.
You dont have to "hate America" while pointing out the power of HR in Corporate America.

I take it that you've never had any personal experience with the Cal Intercollegiate Athletic Administration, let alone the Associate AD's who oversee each one of the 28 sports and their compliance with NCAA and University of California rules. Think the Cal Athletic Department isnt one big bureaucratic machine that falls prey to protecting it's best interests while ignoring those of the student-athlete on occasion?

Think again.

Case in point: Simon-O'Neill's remark about McKeever to a Cal swimmer suffering from Crohn's disease is pretty much all you need to know. - - - Never mind that McKeever is a Godmother to her eldest daughter.. No confict of interest there, right?

socaliganbear
Teri, Jennifer, and Jim need to go.
Bobodeluxe
DiabloWags said:

Bobodeluxe said:

juarezbear said:

Why do you hate America?

Your conflation is absurd.
You dont have to "hate America" while pointing out the power of HR in Corporate America.

I take it that you've never had any personal experience with the Cal Intercollegiate Athletic Administration, let alone the Associate AD's who oversee each one of the 28 sports and their compliance with NCAA and University of California rules. Think the Cal Athletic Department isnt one big bureaucratic machine that falls prey to protecting it's best interests while ignoring those of the student-athlete on occasion?

Think again.

Case in point: Simon-O'Neill's remark about McKeever to a Cal swimmer suffering from Crohn's disease is pretty much all you need to know. - - - Never mind that McKeever is a Godmother to her eldest daughter.. No confict of interest there, right?

Awfully serious about this laundry stuff?
Microbear85
What an awful story. My kid swam D3. There was enough pressure and body-shaming in that world. I can only imagine how much the pressure ramps up in a championship level D1 program. I hope the Cal leadership/administration has the courage to do what is necessary to make amends.
DiabloWags
Bobodeluxe said:

Awfully serious about this laundry stuff?

You were most likely not a student-athlete at Cal.

And you clearly dont have a problem with the student-athletes being treated like commodities.

Given the inane remarks that you've made on this thread, I could give you a "pass" for never having been an intercollegiate athlete. But that would absolve you from being a clown with your laundry remarks.

Youre terribly out of touch with reality.
DiabloWags
Microbear85 said:

What an awful story. My kid swam D3. There was enough pressure and body-shaming in that world. I can only imagine how much the pressure ramps up in a championship level D1 program. I hope the Cal leadership/administration has the courage to do what is necessary to make amends.

It genuinely appears that McKeever only cared about her image and her record in the swim world.
Let's be honest, she treated these swimmer's as though they were commodities.

Like some of the older folks here, I donate to Cal Athletics.
I have the opportunity to increase my donation dramatically before I pass.
But it's situations like this that really give me some pause.

What an incredibly toxic environment to try and perform at your highest level.
It was tough enough just being a student at Cal, let alone a D-1 athlete.

Boot
The whole team walked out of practice today.
DiabloWags
Boot said:

The whole team walked out of practice today.
UC Berkeley swimmers walk out on coach Teri McKeever after reports of abuse, bullying Orange County Register (ocregister.com)

Yup, and it sounds like assistant coach Jesse Moore was "in over his head" today and put in a bad position.
The Administration has now placed McKeever on administrative leave.

US Center for SafeSport is reportedly involved now.

Additionally, a letter, obtained by SCNG, shows that Cal chancellor Robert Joseph Birgeneau was made aware in 2010 of verbal abuse and harassment allegations against McKeever dating back to 2001. Another former Cal swimmer has confirmed to SCNG that McKeever allegedly bullied and verbally abused swimmers as early as 2000.

DiabloWags
Boot
Good and decent coaches no matter what the sport have one thing in common
respect for and the well being of their competitors not an overriding dictatorial mind set.
Steve Kerr and my masters coaches come to mind.
HoopDreams
SJMN front page today. This isn't going away, nor should it.

DiabloWags
College Athletes being used up, abused, and treated like commodities in an Olympic sport with absolutely no regard for their welfare by an egotistical coach who only cares about their own glory is one of the most disgusting acts I can think of.

The Chancellor needs to CLEAN HOUSE.
Not the AD.

I hope they take McKeever's pension away.

Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.