Coach Teri..allegations.. (long article)

23,735 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Oski87
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DiabloWags said:

College Athletes being used up, abused, and treated like commodities in an Olympic sport with absolutely no regard for their welfare by an egotistical coach who only cares about their own glory is one of the most disgusting acts I can think of.

The Chancellor needs to CLEAN HOUSE.
Not the AD.

I hope they take McKeever's pension away.

The AD needs to go. His career as an Army officer and brief work at two military academies simply did not prepare him to be AD at Cal in 2022.

He defended abuse as "tough coaching" (maybe thinking of his hockey coach at West Point 40 years ago?). His complete dismissal of parents concerned about the welfare of their daughters should be fireable. It shouldn't even have come to that. There should be safeguards in place. This should not have had to come out from investigative reporting. But once serious allegations are presented to him the only acceptable response is sympathy and an immediate investigation including meeting with all the student athletes individually. The health and well being of the student athletes must be the primary mission of the Cal Athletic Department. That the guy makes $900,000 a year and just got an 8 year contract extension is galling.
DiabloWags
calumnus said:

DiabloWags said:

College Athletes being used up, abused, and treated like commodities in an Olympic sport with absolutely no regard for their welfare by an egotistical coach who only cares about their own glory is one of the most disgusting acts I can think of.

The Chancellor needs to CLEAN HOUSE.
Not the AD.

I hope they take McKeever's pension away.

The AD needs to go. His career as an Army officer and brief work at two military academies simply did not prepare him to be AD at Cal in 2022.

He defended abuse as "tough coaching" (maybe thinking of his hockey coach at West Point 40 years ago?). His complete dismissal of parents concerned about the welfare of their daughters should be fireable. It shouldn't even have come to that. There should be safeguards in place. This should not have had to come out from investigative reporting. But once serious allegations are presented to him the only acceptable response is sympathy and an immediate investigation including meeting with all the student athletes individually. The health and well being of the student athletes must be the primary mission of the Cal Athletic Department. That the guy makes $900,000 a year and just got an 8 year contract extension is galling.

I couldnt agree with you more.

Knowlton seems to be so out of touch in a leadership position, it's scary.

He's never out in front of an issue. He seems to be repeatedly reacting to what has already happened.

It's downright shocking to me that he was extended out to 2029.

Based on what exactly? Rumors of him leaving for Northwestern?

The Covid situation with our Football Team was equally disappointing. I found Coach Wilcox's emotional plea of "Who's advocating for us?" during a parent meeting with assistant vice chancellor, Guy Nicolette who overseas University Health Services to be very telling.

Wilcox didnt mention Knowlton by name, but I think his plea showed the frustration and exasperation of a head coach that was tired of dealing with amateurs that were pushing papers across their desk and forwarding emails.

Embarrassing!

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
DiabloWags
UC Berkeley AD: Teri McKeever investigation could take 6 months East Bay Times

Jim Knowlton says, "Go Bears!"

Parents pissed.

OBear073akaSMFan
First fallout where Maggie McNeil has switch to LSU . There is an article in swimswam from former bear Catherine Breed who came out positive about Coach Teri and also a couple of Bears also approved her comments. It was just her experience with the coach and not attacking the swimmers who came out .

https://swimswam.com/former-cal-swimmer-catherine-breed-speaks-out-for-teri-mckeever/
DiabloWags
Yes, people could see this coming when Maggie deleted her social media post (recently) that announced her coming to Cal as a grad student.

Its time to buy out McKeever's contractcand move on, but Knowlton doesnt strike me as being that smart. He wants to conduct a standard 6 MONTH HR investigation.
Alkiadt
I believe it will be an independent investigation, no?
If so he's not conducting it.

DiabloWags
It will be a mega-expensive Los Angeles law firm by the name of Munger, Tolles, & Tolles conducting an external investigation. The cost of this investigation will most likely cost more than the nominal "buy-out" of McKeever's contract. A contract in which she can be terminated without cause.

Knowlton stated that it will take 6 months.

Cal Junkie
I'm a club level track coach with a smattering of top runners elsewhere and I am thoroughly disgusted on several levels. One - there are apologists including a coach of some sort on this very thread, who liken it to tough, old school coaching or whatever, and that's reprehensible. If you can't coach without abusing your athletes or letting that kind of thing slide, please go find another gig and leave it to the professionals. Otherwise go take a few Safe Sport courses and get your mind right.

Secondly, the flip response of Jim Knowlton is unacceptable on so many levels, all of which have been illustrated in technicolor. Though not as egregious, the "look the other way" approach & response by Jenny Simon-O'Neill and others doesn't sit too well with me either. It might have been self-preservation on her part to some degree, but still, it's a gutless and irresponsible handling of an awful situation. She is an adult and should know better. Lastly, Chancellor Christ had ZERO knowledge of this - and it's been going on for years if not decades? No one approached her at all? I find that hard as hell to believe.

Everyone at Cal needs to pull their heads out of their a** and make things right.

DiabloWags

Agreed 100%

You should check out the McKeever thread over in the Football Growls Forum.

You'd be shocked how many posters believe that author Scott Reid is biased and McKeever was just being a "tough" coach and should have her day in "court" with due process. Never mind that a federal privacy act was violated when McKeever "outed" a swimmer's medical condition (Crohn's Disease) during a team meeting that the swimmer in question wasnt invited to, or that one of the Cal swimmers was a "5150" and underwent involuntary psych hold/evalutation.

Cal Junkie
I'm staying true and square to my moral compass. Eff those blowhards who try to cover it up. That's ridiculous.
Polodad
The latest...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/06/10/mckeevers-bullying-led-to-lifelong-issues-more-former-uc-berkeley-swimmers-allege/
SanseiBear
Cal Junkie said:

I'm staying true and square to my moral compass. Eff those blowhards who try to cover it up. That's ridiculous.
Totally agree! Since Teri's outbursts happened in front of other swimmers, I'm terribly disappointed that more fellow swimmers haven't supported their former teammates. I can understand the reluctancy of those still active in swimming to come forward, but the others must step up. They easily could have been the ones Teri chose as targets.

OBear073akaSMFan
Polodad said:

The latest...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/06/10/mckeevers-bullying-led-to-lifelong-issues-more-former-uc-berkeley-swimmers-allege/

Was wondering why Sophia Batchelor transferred out so fast. Wow the meeting with her & Simon-O'Neill & then the stupidity of bringing Teri into the meeting. What do you think was going to be the result of the meeting. I hold all of Athletic Directors & the associates ie Simon-Oneill totally responsible for not addressing the issues back in the earlier years. This is like a small snowball rolling down hill and getting bigger & bigger each day. For the sake of program something needs to be done now and not 6 months from now. Teri is damage goods either way.
Polodad
It is hard to imagine there could be any professional recovery for McKeever at this point. Each week brings a greater number of witnesses to the behaviors. My guess is this is now all about gathering evidence to protect the University against large scale damages form the inevitable litigation to follow.
juarezbear
Polodad said:

The latest...

Behind paywall. Can't read.
Polodad
The essence:

More swimmers have come forward. Behaviors were observed and reported as early as 2004. Two more U employees/former employees (now 4 in total) have confirmed behaviors. Jenny Simon-O'Neil looks even worse than earlier reports.
DiabloWags
Polodad said:

The essence:

More swimmers have come forward. Behaviors were observed and reported as early as 2004. Two more U employees/former employees (now 4 in total) have confirmed behaviors. Jenny Simon-O'Neil looks even worse than earlier reports.

And dont forget the addition of Cal Assistant AD for Student Services...... Mohamed Muqtar.
The clown that Cal terminated in May 2018 and who Cal alum and WNBA star Layesha Clarendon sued.
Polodad
Good catch. Teri allegedly sent swimmers she verbally abused to Mo, in charge of swimmer services. We already know the outcome for Mo.
DiabloWags
Polodad said:

Good catch. Teri allegedly sent swimmers she verbally abused to Mo, in charge of swimmer services. We already know the outcome for Mo.

If I'm Chancellor Christ, I'm getting more and more concerned about a charge of "systematic" abuse.
Lack of institutional controls, etc.

OBear073akaSMFan
I thought so too but there is one choice where you enter your email address and you're allow to read that article only.
coachdeke
DiabloWags said:

Polodad said:

The essence:

And dont forget the addition of Cal Assistant AD for Student Services...... Mohamed Muqtar.
The clown that Cal terminated in May 2018 and who Cal alum and WNBA star Layesha Clarendon sued.

I don't think "clown" is either accurate or appropriate.
DiabloWags
coachdeke said:

Please feel free to tell us what would be a more appropriate characterization when it comes to Mohamed Muqtar.

Bear8995
DiabloWags said:

coachdeke said:

Please feel free to tell us what would be a more appropriate characterization when it comes to Mohamed Muqtar.

Alleged Rapist?
OBear073akaSMFan
Probably the 2 top returning swimmers, Isabelle Stadden and Ayla Spitz have entered NCAA Transfer Portal. Kind of expected ..but something needs to be done to stop the bleeding......

https://swimswam.com/cal-all-americans-isabelle-stadden-and-ayla-spitz-enter-ncaa-transfer-portal/

DiabloWags
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Probably the 2 top returning swimmers, Isabelle Stadden and Ayla Spitz have entered NCAA Transfer Portal. Kind of expected ..but something needs to be done to stop the bleeding......

https://swimswam.com/cal-all-americans-isabelle-stadden-and-ayla-spitz-enter-ncaa-transfer-portal/

Hi OBear.
I saw that too.

I'm afraid that the damage has been done and we wont be seeing a Cal Swim program return to any kind of prominence for quite some time. Recall that it took Stanford roughly 8 years to rebound after they pulled the plug on Men's Swim Coach Skip Kenney and his 33-year dynasty.

Kenney had admitted to removing entries for records set by 5 Stanford swimmers that he had disagreements with from the Stanford media guide.

OBear073akaSMFan
DiabloWags said:

OBear073akaSMFan said:

Hi OBear.
I saw that too.

I'm afraid that the damage has been done and we wont be seeing a Cal Swim program return to any kind of prominence for quite some time. Recall that it took Stanford roughly 8 years to rebound after they pulled the plug on Men's Swim Coach Skip Kenney and his 33-year dynasty.

Kenney had admitted to removing entries for records set by 5 Stanford swimmers that he had disagreements with from the Stanford media guide.

Think their softball team recovered faster after their coach was let go after the parents complained. They made the NCAA 'ship this year.
OBear073akaSMFan
DiabloWags said:

OBear073akaSMFan said:

Hi OBear.
I saw that too.

Looks like Stadden and Spitz were the 4 & 5 women swimmers to jump off the sinking ship. Previously Emma Davidson, Emily Gantriis, and Lara Phipps have unbeknownst to me gone into the transfer Portal too. Just announced the 1st guy, Forrest Frazier has gone into the transfer portal. Wonder if the women will have enough swimmers to field a team in 2023?

https://swimswam.com/two-time-cal-pac-12-finalist-forrest-frazier-enters-transfer-portal/

coachdeke
Bear8995 said:

DiabloWags said:

coachdeke said:

Alleged Rapist?

Getting warmer
Bear8995
coachdeke said:

Bear8995 said:

DiabloWags said:

coachdeke said:

Alleged Rapist?

Getting warmer
hmmm. please educate me.
OBear073akaSMFan
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05/17/claims-of-sexual-abuse-from-former-cal-student-athletes-substantiated/
DiabloWags

Too bad the lawsuit was thrown out by the Alameda County Superior Court because of a statute of limitations (2) years.

That clown Muqtar escaped justice.
OBear073akaSMFan
OBear073akaSMFan said:

DiabloWags said:

OBear073akaSMFan said:

Hi OBear.
I saw that too.

Looks like Stadden and Spitz were the 4 & 5 women swimmers to jump off the sinking ship. Previously Emma Davidson, Emily Gantriis, and Lara Phipps have unbeknownst to me gone into the transfer Portal too. Just announced the 1st guy, Forrest Frazier has gone into the transfer portal. Wonder if the women will have enough swimmers to field a team in 2023?

https://swimswam.com/two-time-cal-pac-12-finalist-forrest-frazier-enters-transfer-portal/

Sniff.sniff. Knew it was a matter of time but Isabel Ivey probably our best returning swimmer has officially entered the Transfer Portal. Who will be left?

https://swimswam.com/2022-ncaa-runner-up-isabel-ivey-of-cal-enters-transfer-portal/
dimitrig
OBear073akaSMFan said:

OBear073akaSMFan said:

DiabloWags said:

OBear073akaSMFan said:

Hi OBear.
I saw that too.

Sniff.sniff. Knew it was a matter of time but Isabel Ivey probably our best returning swimmer has officially entered the Transfer Portal. Who will be left?

https://swimswam.com/2022-ncaa-runner-up-isabel-ivey-of-cal-enters-transfer-portal/

Why would anyone stay? There is so much uncertainty around the program, not to mention distractions.

Cal needs to terminate McKeever and move on ASAP.

DiabloWags
McKeever's attorney plays the gender bias "victim" card.

https://www.ocregister.com/2022/06/25/attorney-alleges-uc-berkeley-coach-teri-mckeever-is-the-victim-of-gender-bias

Polodad
The strategies are getting more clear. The U is trying to minimize the cost to extricate and Teri is trying to maximize the cost to the U to end her tenure.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.