Coach Teri..allegations.. (long article)

23,968 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Oski87
Polodad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Cal Aquatics Fund has been raising $ since the 1980s. I believe there is a considerable corpus at this point, and no doubt an active pool of donors to protect the 4 aquatics programs. That's where my donations have been going.
swimmer19
"Cal men's coach Dave Durden confirmed that swimmers at Cal are currently training together, but he said there are no plans at the moment for permanent changes."

Cal Women's and Men's Teams Training Together Right Now; School Has Decisions to Make

Wonder what gives, considering word was that there would be an announcement made after world champs and parents have called for Durden to take over both programs (combined teams). Curious to see what happens, if anything, when the NCAA season rolls around.
DiabloWags
Polodad said:

The Cal Aquatics Fund has been raising $ since the 1980s. I believe there is a considerable corpus at this point, and no doubt an active pool of donors to protect the 4 aquatics programs. That's where my donations have been going.

Let's get Pablo back to the Bay Area!

https://huskers.com/sports/womens-swimming-and-diving/roster/coaches/pablo-morales/8219
Schroeder71
Pablo Morales would be perfect for the women's swim program, depending upon the outcome of the McKeever
investigation. GO BEARS!
swimmer19
Kind of tangential to thread topic, but here's some transfer portal news... former Cal 5th year commit Nina Kucheran has recommitted to the Gators, and quite the surprise today:

OLYMPIC SILVER MEDALIST EMMA WEYANT ENTERS TRANSFER PORTAL

A comment hinted at combined team with David Marsh being involved in some form. Durden confirmed the combined team situation was just for the summer. Wondering if anyone here might have inside knowledge as to what's going on?
coachdeke
Schroeder71 said:

Pablo Morales would be perfect for the women's swim program, depending upon the outcome of the McKeever
investigation. GO BEARS!

When Pablo Morales was being recruited out of high school, Cal had Joe Kapp try to help recruit him-common heritage I guess. Well, it didn't go so well from what I have heard.
SoCalie
Pablo was pro-Stanford ever since he was little. He grew up on that side of the Bay, his club coaches had very close ties to Stanford swimming, and his parents (who worked their butts off, but were from very humble beginnings) were thrilled with him being able to go to Stanford on a full ride..

As much as I love our alma mater, Cal just wasn't truly in the equation. However, I will say that I believe it WOULD have been, if his parents had known more about the university when he was in high school.

Whatever. I just want him to come to Cal NOW!! That'll mean even more!
coachdeke
SoCalie said:

Pablo was pro-Stanford ever since he was little. He grew up on that side of the Bay, his club coaches had very close ties to Stanford swimming, and his parents (who worked their butts off, but were from very humble beginnings) were thrilled with him being able to go to Stanford on a full ride..

As much as I love our alma mater, Cal just wasn't truly in the equation. However, I will say that I believe it WOULD have been, if his parents had known more about the university when he was in high school.

Whatever. I just want him to come to Cal NOW!! That'll mean even more!

Stanford's program was better in the mid eighties than ours. We didn't win many recruiting battles with Stanfurd for domestic swimmers back then.
SoCalie
It WAS better in the mid 1980s...and guess why?

Pablo started being recruited in 1981 and 1982. Cal men had just won back-to-back NCAA titles in 1979 and 1980.

In 1981, Texas won, with UCLA coming in second. Cal got 5th, and Stanford 9th.

In 1992, UCLA won, with Texas second. Stanford was third and Cal was 4th. (20 points behind Stanford)

Stanford became more of the powerhouse in the mid 1980's because of a couple of swimmers, one of which was Pablo.

Pablo was Stanford all the way since he began high school. He grew up nearby, and his parents would be able to go to more of his meets if he swam at Stanford. His parents loved the idea of him going to a private university, and were really excited by the idea that Pablo would be able to get a 'however expensive Stanford was back then' - that many $$ education for free. And, perhaps most importantly, his club coaches (at SCSC) were very close to the Stanford coaches - both men and women.
coachdeke
I'm not sure whether your trying to argue or not. Yea, Cal won in 79 and 80 with what Sports Illustrated called "the foreign legion." A lot of Swedish swimmers and Peter Rocca led Cal. The fact is furd pretty much dominated Cal for the next 30 years. Under Nort Thornton Cal relied on great foreign swimmers mixed in with a lot of domestic guys who couldn't get into furd. The only domestic swimmer we beat furd on that I know of was Scott Jaffe, who transferred from Harvard. UCLA dropping swimming certainly has helped. Dave Durden has changed the recruiting dynamic for sure.
SoCalie
Not trying to argue. Just stating additional information on the topic.

Stanford men were great in the mid-1980s, winning 3 titles in a row. I'm just saying that, at the time that Pablo was being recruited, Cal was a "better"/higher ranked team. In fact, so were Texas and Ucla. But, it was known that Pablo was going to Stanford by the time he entered high school - no matter what their ranking was. (For all of the reasons stated before) And, as you stated, Stanford won 3 NCAA championships in a row with Pablo on that team.

Cal beat Stanford for several different recruits in the 80s and 90s. Matt Biondi, Ron Karnaugh, Sean Killion, Mark Henderson, Roque Santos, etc.
coachdeke
When Pablo Morales signed his letter of intent during his senior year at Bellarmine in the 82-83 school year,Stanfird had overtaken Cal in the swimming rankings. Furd was ranked #3 and Cal #4 after the regular season.
The only swimmer you might be correct about in choosing Cal over Stanford is Ron Katnaugh. Mark Henderson desperately wanted to go to Stanford, but wasn't admitted. Matt Biondi's SAT scores weren't even in the ballpark for admission and damn near went to UCLA. I know this because they told me.
SoCalie
Pablo wanted to go to Stanford since he was a freshman in high school. (Cal won NCAAs that year, and had won it the year before.) And, the Stanford coaches were well aware of him at that time, given his dominance in swimming, and the close relationships between the SCSC coaches and the Stanford coaches. This is something that was well known to his SCSC coaches and teammates of which I was one. Universities began 'recruiting' Pablo when he was a sophomore in h.s., and his junior year was when he was most heavily recruited, even though he had alreadymade it known that he wanted to go to Stanford. (Cal had beaten Stanford both of those years, as well.) The fact that Stanford finished one place above Cal at NCAAs Pablo's senior year (two months before he graduated), was immaterial. He'd told the Stanford coaches (family, friends, coaches, etc.,) that he was going there his junior year. (Besides, Stanford beating Cal by one place that year after Cal had dominated them for years, would not have made a bit of a difference to most recruits that were interested in going to Cal.) I have known Pablo and his family for 40 years, and ALMOST coached with him at SJSU, (but couldn't afford it due to grad school bills.)

Similarly, I swam at Cal with all of the guys I mentioned (Biondi had graduated, but still trained with the Cal team), knew them well, and was told this information by them, and others on the team. Swimming is a very small world, especially when it comes to recruiting between the CA universities. And, the Cal men's and women's team were extremely tight. I went to Mark and Summer's wedding. My teammates dated Scott and Roque; and, after graduation, I swam on a master's team with Roque and his wife for a couple years, (etc.) So, I don't know what you were told. But, I know what I was told by the individuals themselves, other Cal teammates, swimming friends that chose to swim at Stanford, what was written in articles about my teammates, in addition to what I witnessed on my own recruiting trips. So, I guess my point is that we can stand by our own knowledge/experiences, and I'm happy to agree to disagree on this. Namaste

The great news is that the men's team is incredibly strong, and only seems to be getting better with each passing year. Now we just need to get a great coach for the women's team, and I think they'll be back to top 5 in a year or two. (Here's to hoping!)

GO BEARS!

P.S. RE: test scores to get into Stanford, I also have multiple very good friends that had EXTREMELY test low scores and just slightly better than 3.0 gpa's, and chose to swim at Stanford at the very same time as the rest of us were at Cal. (one of which was Prop 48 low, and she had to retake the SAT twice to get a score above the Prop 48 threshold.) Being a world record holder, or being ranked in the top 10 in the world in multiple events has its advantages, and having low test scores/grades did not hinder their admission to swim at Stanford.
coachdeke
Stanford places more emphasis on the verbal portion of the SAT/ACT than math. It's up to each coaching staff to sell admissions on prospective student athletes. They don't take "prop 48l" level test scores but have taken kids with sub 3.0 students with decent test scores. The relationship of the coaching staff to admissions is really important, I've been told Tara Vandeveer is the master of getting kids through admissions.
juarezbear
coachdeke said:

Stanford places more emphasis on the verbal portion of the SAT/ACT than math. It's up to each coaching staff to sell admissions on prospective student athletes. They don't take "prop 48l" level test scores but have taken kids with sub 3.0 students with decent test scores. The relationship of the coaching staff to admissions is really important, I've been told Tara Vandeveer is the master of getting kids through admissions.
I'm sure Tara has a great mix of kids with super high academics and those with much lower scores and GPAs. This reminds me of when Russell White was recruited to Cal. I don't recall who the Cal faculty advisor was at the time, but his position was they were going to hold the line on recruits' academic profiles, but would find a spot for a superior talent like White. I'm sure the same applies for Tara...and let's face it, when somebody accumulates a record like hers I'm sure she's given all the leeway in the world. The perverse irony about Furd v Cal is that once you're in at Furd, you'd have to really try hard to flunk out. My brother started his academic career at Northwestern and transferred to Furd after his sophomore year. NW was super tough and he absolutely couldn't believe how easy Furd was by comparison. The point of all of this is that, as someone else stated, being an elite athlete with decent grades and SATs will get you into Stanford. The difference I think is that they only bend on admissions for super highly ranked recruits. Don't forget, that if they have something like 750 D1 athletes enrolled at any given time, that's something like 15% of the student body - a very high percentage....
senorbeta
juarezbear said:

coachdeke said:

I'm sure Tara has a great mix of kids with super high academics and those with much lower scores and GPAs. This reminds me of when Russell White was recruited to Cal. I don't recall who the Cal faculty advisor was at the time, but his position was they were going to hold the line on recruits' academic profiles, but would find a spot for a superior talent like White. I'm sure the same applies for Tara...and let's face it, when somebody accumulates a record like hers I'm sure she's given all the leeway in the world. The perverse irony about Furd v Cal is that once you're in at Furd, you'd have to really try hard to flunk out. My brother started his academic career at Northwestern and transferred to Furd after his sophomore year. NW was super tough and he absolutely couldn't believe how easy Furd was by comparison. The point of all of this is that, as someone else stated, being an elite athlete with decent grades and SATs will get you into Stanford. The difference I think is that they only bend on admissions for super highly ranked recruits. Don't forget, that if they have something like 750 D1 athletes enrolled at any given time, that's something like 15% of the student body - a very high percentage....
Furd has 7645 undergrads and Cal had a lot of latitude with athletes until Tedford brought in the lowest graduation rate of Power 5 schools. There really was no "holding the line."
DiabloWags
Cal continued to give Teri McKeever pay raises despite bullying complaints (mercurynews.com)

McKeever saw her annual base salary increase 77% since 2010.
AD Knowlton gave her a 5-year contract extension on Jan. 7th, 2020

calumnus
Don't know if this was posted. Needs a subscription.

https://www.ocregister.com/2022/09/08/investigators-interview-teri-mckeever-as-part-of-bullying-probe/amp/
eastcoastcal
Any idea when the investigation will close? Was supposed to be 6 months tops and the swimmers were given an end date that passed one or two weeks ago. Are we close to having findings published?
Oski87
My understanding is that if there is no negative finding, then they will not post anything. Not even sure if they will post anything if there is a positive finding, although there may be some firings. It truly is a byzantine process. Teri will get her day in court is the end result, and at that point there may be some readout of the findings. In the meantime, we have a new coach and movement forward.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.