New Softball Pitching Coach

1,773 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by CalFanatic
SFCALBear72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Played her college softball at ASU. Welcome Amber Freeman!!

Freeman Joins Softball Staff - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)
Intuit
So what does Kristina Thorson's future look like?
Intuit
Amber Freeman - An impressive resume

Coaching empohasis seems to be Hitting and Fielding - Not sure what palace intrique got her to Cal as Pitching Coach

about Amber Freeman Softball (amberfreemansb.com)
OBear073akaSMFan
..but she wasn't even a pitcher at ASU! At least per the linknahe only showed her hitting prowess. Weird that she is the next pitching coach at CAL. Is she correct that ahe is the potching and not the hitting coach.
CalFanatic
Freeman was probably the best catcher in the country for 2 of her 4 years… and a dangerous bat. So she's a welcome addition. A truly phenomenal player with a solid, young coaching career.

Just confused what that means regarding Thor.
CalFanatic
If she's the one calling games I get that. Look at some
of the arms she's caught for. But confused on some
Other obvious items.
SFCALBear72
I trust Coach Spencer to make the right decisions. No point second-guessing her.
CalFanatic
Second. I fully trust her and the program she's building. Welcome AF! Again, one of the best catchers during her time and a pleasure to watch during her time at ASU.
BearinOC
My daughter wen to her for a couple of catching lessons.

I am thoroughly confused here about the mentions above.

I also know a couple of girls that played for her at Vanguard.

I am not as enthused as some of the others here. Hoping for the best.
Schroeder71
It does seem to encompass palace intrigue. The recruiting dimension has not been mentioned about Amber Freeman. I am baffled how she could be named the Cal pitching coach with no actual pitching experience. She could certainly assist with the catchers, hitting , etc but then that would be stepping on other coach's toes.
I hope that this works out but it would seem that one assistant coach would have to depart. Thoughts?
GO BEARS!
SFCALBear72
Schroeder71 said:

It does seem to encompass palace intrigue. The recruiting dimension has not been mentioned about Amber Freeman. I am baffled how she could be named the Cal pitching coach with no actual pitching experience. She could certainly assist with the catchers, hitting , etc but then that would be stepping on other coach's toes.
I hope that this works out but it would seem that one assistant coach would have to depart. Thoughts?
GO BEARS!

This is a quote from Coach Spencer in the story about Coach Freeman's hiring:

"She was an All-American, Pac-12 Player of the Year and Team USA standout as a player, while handling and calling games for some of the most respected pitchers in the country."

Why wouldn't that experience qualify her to be a pitching coach??

I think it does.
CalFanatic
SFCALBear72 said:

Schroeder71 said:

GO BEARS!

"She was an All-American, Pac-12 Player of the Year and Team USA standout as a player, while handling and calling games for some of the most respected pitchers in the country."

Freeman caught/called one of the most successful pitchers in ASU history in Escobedo. I'm not mad at it.
BearinOC
SFCALBear72 said:

Schroeder71 said:

GO BEARS!

I think it does.
Because calling pitches does not make one an expert on subtle and intricate mechanics of pitching. If you think this, you know nothing of softball pitching.

A pitcher does not make a good hitting coach because one pitched to all time hitters. (not the same but you get the point)
SFCALBear72
BearinOC said:

SFCALBear72 said:

Schroeder71 said:

GO BEARS!

I think it does.
Because calling pitches does not make one an expert on subtle and intricate mechanics of pitching. If you think this, you know nothing of softball pitching.

A pitcher does not make a good hitting coach because one pitched to all time hitters. (not the same but you get the point)
I was quoting Coach Spencer from the hiring story linked above. Did you even read it?

So, you are, in effect, saying she knows nothing about softball pitching. Take it up with her.
My money is on her.
Schroeder71
CF-I'm not angry about the hire. I am unclear how the coaching staff will function and how many coaches will be on the staff. I thought that a limit exists for assistants. Someone should do an interview with HC Chelsea Spencer to obtain the answers...
Intuit
Where's Waldo (Thorson)
59bear
Does seem to be a bit of a puzzler given that most pitching coaches have pitched in their playing gays. That said, I have vague recollections of pitching coaches at the MLB level who had been catchers (admittedly, can't recall names) but may be confusing that with bullpen coaches. As for Thor, I was surprised by her low profile in the games I saw on TV. IIRC, Caley Cuico or Chelsea made the in-game trips to the circle and it wasn't obvious who was calling pitches as Thor was often deep in the dugout and not conspicuously signaling pitches. It is axiomatic that great players often don't translate as coaches and it may be that Thor is further proof. I hope this works because I believe better pitching is our greatest single need by a long way if we are to improve as a team.
BearinOC
SFCALBear72 said:

BearinOC said:

SFCALBear72 said:

Schroeder71 said:

GO BEARS!

I think it does.

I was quoting Coach Spencer from the hiring story linked above. Did you even read it?

So, you are, in effect, saying she knows nothing about softball pitching. Take it up with her.
My money is on her.
Bruh, let call a spade a spade, shall we?!

You stated "why wouldn't that experience qualify her as a pitching coach?"

Above is why I take issue. As a 18U softball coach, NFHS and PGF softball umpire, I am letting you know, calling pitches and catching pitches does not qualify one a pitching coach.

Do you think because I see pitches and judge strikes and balls, I am qualified to be pitching coach or a pitcher? Hell no.
OBear073akaSMFan
59bear said:

Does seem to be a bit of a puzzler given that most pitching coaches have pitched in their playing gays. That said, I have vague recollections of pitching coaches at the MLB level who had been catchers (admittedly, can't recall names) but may be confusing that with bullpen coaches. As for Thor, I was surprised by her low profile in the games I saw on TV. IIRC, Caley Cuico or Chelsea made the in-game trips to the circle and it wasn't obvious who was calling pitches as Thor was often deep in the dugout and not conspicuously signaling pitches. It is axiomatic that great players often don't translate as coaches and it may be that Thor is further proof. I hope this works because I believe better pitching is our greatest single need by a long way if we are to improve as a team.

Thorson is no longer listed on the directory but Amber is now!
https://calbears.com/staff-directory
CalFanatic
Apparently Thorson is stepping down but will be available to the program
CalFanatic
Would note that Thor was a part of the Cal camp this week.

So if she really is still around her+freeman could be a deadly former Pitcher and Player of the Year combo for our young staff. To have access to both an elite catcher and pitcher....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.