SB: Pac-12 Opener and NCAA Official RPI

1,583 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by CalFanatic
CalFanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1/ncaa-womens-softball-rpi

Cal comes in at #33 in the first RPI of the season. Who comes in at #1? Our first Pac-12 opponent next weekend, UCLA.

Unlike a Washington, Arizona or Stanford...I don't really see any weaknesses in the staff or lineup. Going be to one hell of a test to start conference play!
Schroeder71
Cal ranked 5th in conference which is the highest that I can recall in recent years. I believe that only UCLA & Stanford maybe unbeatable for Cal this season. Bears beat Oregon one game last year in Eugene but get the Ducks in Berkeley this year. Upset the Huskies 2 out of 3 in Berkeley last season but travel to Seattle in 2023.

I think that the Bears should be competitive against Arizona, Oregon State, Utah & ASU and should win games in each series. Is Pac 9 down or is Cal up? I think that it is a combination of the two. GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
Didn't realize we have an atmospheric river hitting the Bay Area. I'd be shocked if we get all 3 UCLA games in.
Schroeder71
UC Davis jumps out to a 1-0 lead in the B1st vs Sona Halajian. They got three singles. UCD is 10-5 and 8-2 at home. The Aggies are throwing their ace, Kennedy Brown, w/ an 1.38 ERA. Bears edged the Aggies down in Long Beach, 3-1, earlier this season.

The game is televised on ESPN +.
CalFanatic
Sona is looking settled. Love the offspeed strike 3 on Dethlefson.

Brown is going off speed every single at bat. Sometimes multiple in the at bat. Sit back and wait for the change. Literally take until you get one!
CalFanatic
2 outs, 2 strikes and Sona helps her own cause. Beautiful piece of hitting! 2-1 Bears!
Schroeder71
All of Cal's strikeouts have been on the change-up. I believe that Anzaldo got the Bear's first hit off it. The Bears have always been vulnerable to a good off-speed pitch. Actually, Kennedy Brown registered 8 Ks with 7 coming on the change-up.
CalFanatic
Saiki busts it open with a home run. 5-1 Cal
Schroeder71
Two run HR to off field by D'Asha Saiki opens up the game to 5-1. The camera person did not catch the HR so I didn't see it. Darn!
CalFanatic
What on god's green earth just happened in the 7th.

You pinch hit for your best hitter with 1st and 2nd no outs... you aren't up 10. You are up 3.

You steal (Caught) yourself out of a run.

3-0 to a final strikeout for out 3.

We will pretend that never happened. Sometimes you just need a short memory.
CalFanatic
...and now Davis has the winning run at the plate in the 7th. Come on, Bears.
CalFanatic
Davis ties it up in the 7th. Off to extras but La Rue doesn't have lights. This likely gets called as a tie?

These are the games that make me pause and think, will Cal actually make the tournament? Losing to UL-Monroe, a collapse against Villanova, can't put away Davis because of severely poor decisions in the 7th.

Sighs.
Schroeder71
D'Asha Saiki just dropped a perfect relay throw from CF Mike Lee allowing the tying run to score from first base with two outs in the B7th. Teperson gave up a line drive single but the runner had stopped at third base until Cal's second baseman made a costly error. Now the game will head to extra innings.

Cal has three run lead in B8th but it is almost dark and the game could be suspended. Teperson walks the leadoff hitter and gives up an infield single with one out. Teperson is done. Haylei Archer has entered the game to try to save the game before its dark.
SFCALBear72
Don't give up yet!!
CalFanatic
Wow. Cal sneaks in a run on an Anders double. 6-5 in the 8th. Game should be called soon?
CalFanatic
SFCALBear72 said:

Don't give up yet!!
Never give up. And why would you, with this offense? But these 6 and 7th inning lapses due to pitching and defense are a theme that definitely needs fixing.

8-5 Cal. 3 outs left
CalFanatic
Sneaks in the win in the dark, literally. Shocked the ump did not call the game but we'll take it!
Schroeder71
Haylei Archer throws strikes and gets two quick outs to end it. She struck out the final batter. This season she has been the ace of the Cal pitching staff. Cal opens conference play with a 17-4 record! GO BEARS!
SFCALBear72
I've got a ticket to Friday's game against Ucla.
Weather doesn't look good that day.
CalFanatic
I'll see you all there Saturday. I don't think we are getting in a game Friday.
HoopDreams
do we have enough pitching this year?

CalFanatic
HoopDreams said:

do we have enough pitching this year?

This year, no. Next year with a healthy Ashanti and Randi Roelling coming in, absolutely.

We sure have enough offense! A big reversal from some of the Cal teams of the last 20 years. Coach Reeves had Cal looking like Pitcher U... while we struggled to put up runs (minus the 2012 team).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.