SB: Big RPI Jump, OSU next week

3,001 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by CalFanatic
CalFanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Softball leapfrogged 10 spots to #23 in RPI and #28 in the Massey ratings. Even with that, Massey has us finishing just 29-24. That's how insane the Pac-12 is this year!

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1/ncaa-womens-softball-rpi
https://masseyratings.com/csoft/ncaa-d1/ratings

Big week for us. This is our best opportunity for a sweep. OSU's offense is struggling, their two star pitchers (including olympian Stepto) have been rocked, as of late. Have to take advantage of these slates.

https://osubeavers.com/sports/softball/stats/2023
Schroeder71
Their offense is abysmal, averaging 3.19 runs per game. Their pitching is ok (3.79 ERA). For some reason, Oregon State's pitching has had Cal's number over the last few years. This is why I won't be overconfident playing the Beavers in Corvallis. It will probably be raining, etc. However-I basically concluded the same thing that you did about this series. The Bears have to take (win) it to move up in the standings in the conference. GO BEARS!
Ccajon2
You both know that the odds of Cal softball sweeping the Beavs is next to nothing, but I've decided that "this is the year," despite the numerous injuries and virtually no production from McDade, Pond, and a few others all of us we're counting on in earlier posts.
CalFanatic
Reimers in the circle against Fresno State. Go Bears!
CalFanatic
Cal up 3-0 in the 6th.. McDade is getting her first action of the season. Welcome back from injury!
Schroeder71
I think that might have been Cal's best defensive game of the season. Although the offense didn't produce much, the pitching & defense combined to lock down Fresno State, 3-0. The Bear's hardest hit ball was off of the bat of pinch hitter frosh D'Auna Johnson. She ripped a line shot headed toward CF but the Bulldog shortstop leaped and caught the ball in the tip of her glove. She turned the play into a double-play, too.

Ashanti McDade out of Denton, Texas, made her Cal freshman debut this afternoon in flawless fashion, pitching two innings of shutout ball. Her only problem was her control. McDade allowed a walk (1st batter) and a HBP to reach base. However, she allowed no hits and struck out one.
CalFanatic
I agree. The defense was very, very good today. Anders had a hell of a game at SS. Anna and Ashanti looked good in the circle. 19-6!

FYI- We are receiving votes in both major polls this week...
BearinOC
McDade being back from her injury brings a little sunshine today. I didnt realize we had a game yesterday. This is a pleasant surprise. Her control issue is on her first collegiate game. I think this is to be expected with the nerves. Go Bears! Was the game streamed?
CalFanatic
BearinOC said:

McDade being back from her injury brings a little sunshine today. I didnt realize we had a game yesterday. This is a pleasant surprise. Her control issue is on her first collegiate game. I think this is to be expected with the nerves. Go Bears! Was the game streamed?
Yep, game was streamed. McDade struggled the first batter. Her first three pitches missed badly (as you said it makes sense... nerves). She looked great though afterwords. GO BEARS
BearinOC
I am going to have to seek the recording of it. I am very excited for her and us. She is suppose to be the type of pitcher that will put us back on the nation stage again.
CalFanatic
If you can't find the recording at least you can see the first strikeout!

CalFanatic
Zobac single down the 1b line gives Cal an early 1-0 lead. Stepto is tough. She's an olympian! Great way to start the game.
Schroeder71
Haylei Archer yielded three hits in the 1st. Misplay by Tatum Anzaldo in RF didn't help much. Cal failed to score in the second inning. The coach made D'Auna Johnson sacrifice bunt which is too conservative against a good pitcher like Stepto. Bear batters have all hit the ball off of the Aussie which is an encouraging sign.

I guess D'Auna is getting a shot at DH because Elon Butler is not hitting and leads the team in strikeouts. I am surprised that Sona Halajian is not in the lineup. Cal has a dozen good hitters this season and it's hard to fit 'em all in the lineup. Both big-name freshmen are not playing either (Elon Butler & Tianna Bell). Hitters had better not get into a prolonged batting slump or they'll probably end up on the bench.

It appears that both pitchers have settled down in the second inning.
CalFanatic
1-1 heading into the 5th. Archer gets out of a small jam.

Think it would be a good idea to get a different arm for this third time around the lineup...
CalFanatic
Lee!!! A cannon of a throw to get the runner trying to score from home. Defensive play of the year!! 1-1 going into the 6th
Schroeder71
Great throw to home plate by Mika Lee doubles up Oregon State runner and keeps the game tied at 1-1 after five innings. Beavers have outhit Bears, 7-3.
Schroeder71
Medellin misses a one hop grounder to her backhand side to allow the go-ahead run to score (2-1). Anna Reimers departs for Anabel Teperson . Oregon State has made defensive backhand plays like that tonight. The home team has also mustered 10 hits to the visitors 3 singles. Where did the Bears power disappear to against Fresno State and Oregon State?

Both OSU scoring plays could have errors associated with them but since Live Stats is not working again tonight

Oregon State appears to still have Cal's number in softball. Tomorrow is another day. GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
Frustrating loss. Onto the next one!
CalFanatic
There we go. Sona bomb gives us a 3-0 lead. 2nd inning
CalFanatic
Zobac bomb. 5-0. Finally the bats are back!
CalFanatic
8-6 Cal in the 4th... has turned into a home run fest. Unfortunately, OSU is matching us bomb for bomb.
Schroeder71
Sona Halajian is not effective if she keeps getting her pitches up in the zone. She has yielded 10 home runs in 35 innings so far this season..

Bears have hitting this season but pitching is absolutely a question mark. Oregon State is a weak hitting team and the Beavers KO'd Halajian.

I wonder if our pitching can keep OSU from scoring ten runs? Cal leads 10-6. Medellin hit her 7th HR!
CalFanatic
Teperson looks good in relief. First 1-2-3 inning. 9-6 going into the 6th
Schroeder71
D'Auna Johnson picked off of 1st base for a double-play. Freshman miscue.
CalFanatic
Schroeder71 said:

D'Auna Johnson picked off of 1st base for a double-play. Freshman miscue.
She has a hell of a powerful swing, though. Mistakes happen. You can't teach that type of power. 2 big hits from her today.

Cal 10-6 going into the 7th.
CalFanatic
Zobac does it again. That thing was crushed! second home run makes it 13-6.
Schroeder71
Cal has 15 runs on 18 hits (12 extra base hits). I believe that the pitching staff should be able to protect a nine run lead with three outs to go.

Actually-Anabel Teperson shutdown Oregon State w/ four shutout innings. It was Sona Halajian that got hammered.

Kacey Zobac is my nominee for the hitter of the game. She homered to RF and LCF. She was robbed on a diving catch by the Beaver CF but got credit for a sacrifice fly and lined out to shortstop. She also walked to keep her OB% tops on the team. GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
Teperson looked great in relief. Shoot, i'd throw her again tomorrow. Or give Ashanti the ball.
Schroeder71
I disagree with forcing arguably the best hitter on your team to sacrifice bunt a leadoff double over to third. Tatum Anzaldo is one of the fastest players on the team. Acacia Anders rolled softly to first base and they threw the Cal base runner out at home plate. Bears end up scoreless. Ridiculous. Ninemire nightmares are coming back to me.

Frankie Hammoude homers off of Anabel Teperson and Beavers jump out in front of the Bears, 1-0. Cal fans know that we do not have shutout pitchers currently on the roster. Team ERA is approximately 3 runs per game.

This is a super important conference series to win but playing too conservatively with our lethal offense could cost us. C'mon Chelsea!
Schroeder71
Bears lead Beavers, 4-1. First a two-single by Acacia Anders followed by a two-run blast by Kacey Zobac. I believe that Zobac is "on fire"! Oregon State gets one run back in the B3rd for a 4-2 score.
Schroeder71
Haylei Archer enters in the B4th w/ no outs after KO of Teperson. Teperson yielded 5 hits and three runs over 3 innings. Once, again, Cal's pitching should be able to handle this team's hitting. Haylei appears to be on her game as she elicits three ground balls to retire the side. After four frames, Bears 4, Beavers 3.
Schroeder71
Another sac bunt by Makena Smith to move over Tatum Anzaldo to second. MVP Zobac doubles into the left field corner to plate a run. Medellin roped a line drive to LF for the final out. Cal leads 5-3 heading into B5th.
CalFanatic
Memo to OSU. STOP pitching to Kacey Zobac!! Player of the week type weekend.
Schroeder71
Archer is having control problems in the 5th inning, hitting Higa and wild pitching her to second base. It is drizzling but this is an ongoing problem. In the sixth, she hit another batter and wild pitched a run in. After six innings, Cal holding onto a precarious one run lead as the game heads to the 7th.
Schroeder71
Stepto has struck out four consecutive Bear batters. Cal hitters are not swinging their bats. The Aussie finished with a complete game w/9 strikeouts!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.