softball transfer portal

12,389 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by CalFanatic
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sona halijan in transfer portal, randi roelling era begins in berkeley & good sign that kacey zobac not in portal
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/110786/0

spinning out about things that haven't happened (breathing in & out)#
Schroeder71
Sophie Medellin is also not in the transfer portal. Kennedy Thomas is, however.
CalFanatic
Bummed to see Sona in the portal. I hope she changes her mind.
Ccajon2
I don't want to lose even one of the 4 listed transfers. All contributed greatly, even Medelinn, bashed 8 homers. I think she would show great improvement next year. I suspect a reduction in PT is the result of them wanting to transfer, what with Pond and a huge frosh class coming in.
CalFanatic
Something has to give with 7 or 8 players coming in. You can't have a roster at 30 people.
Shocky1
cc, there are 5 bears (sophie is not one of them) in the portal
CalFanatic
Also I remember hearing someone was grad transferring to Fresno State. I think that was Sophie? Maybe there is someone one this board who knows more than I!

These things are common. Morgan, Cam, and Lauren all grad transferred the last 2 years.
Intuit
Now that we know the 5 that are leaving by way of the transfer portal how many from last year's roster will leave the team due to "out of eligibility", "graduation", injury or other "personal" reason?

Do you have a perspective on how many incoming transfers CS will add to the team in addition to the new recruit class?
Schroeder71
Lauren Espalin, Olivia Silvestre & Amani Bradley actually transferred. I thought that Morgan Zamora and Cam Kondo actually ran out of eligibility
eastcoastcal
Just realized that in the entirety of postseason play, only Clemson scored more runs on Oklahoma in a game than we did. We put up 3, and Clemson lost 7-8 once. Otherwise, here's how many runs every team has scored, from the Big 12 tournament til now, in each game:

Iowa State: 0
Texas: 1
Hofstra: 0
Mizzou: 0
Cal: 3
Clemson: 2
Clemson: 7
Stanford: 0
Tennessee: 0
Stanford: 2
Florida State: 0

Go bears!!
Shocky1
HoopDreams
Sona and Kennedy are big losses, but as others have said the other transfers are disappointing too
Schroeder71
eastcoastcal-Acacia Anders was robbed off a homerun by Oklahoma's All-American CF. I cannot remember if Cal had a runner on base but that would have added one or two more runs to the actual total of three runs scored. GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
Shocky1 said:

Guess i'll be rooting for Fresno, when they aren't playing Cal!

Like I said, something has to give. The roster size has to dwindle... so I expected some players to transfer. Sona would be the biggest of losses. She was stellar last year when healthy.
HoopDreams
CalFanatic said:

Shocky1 said:

Guess i'll be rooting for Fresno, when they aren't playing Cal!

Like I said, something has to give. The roster size has to dwindle... so I expected some players to transfer. Sona would be the biggest of losses. She was stellar last year when healthy.
I wonder if Aleia also goes to Fresno State (from Mililani, Oahu like Saiki) and they become Cal South[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8zXh3dyGbE][/url]

How good is Fresno State?
OBear073akaSMFan
Surprised about kennedy's transfer since she was getting lots of play. Was she going to lose her starter position?
CalFanatic
Congrats, Kennedy!

Schroeder71
At least KT did not sign with a Pac Nine competitor. I wonder if Cal attempts to recruit from the portal?
HoopDreams
I looked at the last 10 years of the softball rankings. In most years Cal finished in the top 20-30 range (mostly 26-30)

In this decade Houston and Fresno State rarely appeared in the top 30 (Fresno State more than Houston). Not sure of either program further back.

Most of the players are from California with two from Hawaii, so 'going home' doesn't appear to be a factor

Objectively both programs are solid, but below Cal

Not sure why these players transferred as they were experienced players that had significant roles, although perhaps they would have bigger roles at their new teams

https://nfca.org/component/com_nfca/list,1/top25,1/year,2023/

Shocky1

cal softball scholly roster math:

last season the roster wuz at 25 players, the only player given the covid extra year who is out of eligibility is the heart & soul of the team makena smith...sounds like she's gonna continue her studies in berkeley & play goalie for the women's soccer team for which she still got eligibility, she will be a plus for the program still attending games with her non stop voice of determination

and the following golden bears have entered the transfer portal with berkeley degrees:

sona halajian (.228 batting average with 6 homers): tbd
kennedy thomas (.269 batting average): houston
sophie medellin (.231 batting average with 8 homers): fresno state
d'asha saiki (.258 batting average): fresno state
candace yingling (dnp): tbd
aleia agbayani (dnp): tbd

so 6 in the portal plus makena smith out of eligiblity=18 current players

7 incoming recruits=25 players on 2024 roster

and of course there could still be more roster movement...

but make no mistake about it, the kacey zobac decision on whether or not to play another season will be the key to a deep potential ncca run next season if randi roelling is a generational talent on the mound

CalFanatic
I will never claim to be a complete source of truth but based on a conversation I had at the Oregon series, I think Kacey is graduating and moving on to her next chapter in life. I hope I am wrong or that has changed!

If Alexis gets healthy (she has incredible power), we are fine. People forget Tianna and DJ both spent significant portions of this season injured. These are top 15 recruits…

For fun (because who the heck knows), this could totally be a lineup next year that would lead us deep into the tournament.

1 Tatum Anzaldo OF
2 Holly Medina OF
3 Acacia Anders SS
4 Elon Butler 2B
5 Alexis Bishop 1B
6 DJ Johnson DH
7 Tianna Bell 3B
8 Lagi Quiroga C
9 Mika Lee OF

That's 7 players with 6-10 homerun potential. And those top two at the lineup would be incredibly frustrating with their speed and aggressive base running.
Schroeder71
My batting order would be:
------------------------------------
Tatum Anzaldo RF SR
Kaylee Pond 1B R-SO
Acacia Anders SS JR
Elon Butler 2B SO
Tianna Bell 3B SO
Alexis Bishop DH R-JR
Lagi Quiroga C FR
Holly Medina LF FR
Diamond Holland CF SR

ulitilty players: 3

CalFanatic
I'd say that is a very strong lineup, S71! Coach Spencer has a plethora of options... not a bad position to be in.
Shocky1
lotta highly recruited/ranked newcomers in both of these line ups

reality is that the strength of this year's team wuz the downtown long ball, if zobac is departing then 4 of the top 5 home run hitters need to be replaced (45 of the 74 homers)

the bears gotta legit opportunity to significantly improve the team batting average next season with more speed (and base running coaching decisions) along with much better pitching with greater control/more strikeouts & stronger infield defense but power could be a problem
Intuit
Unless Taryn Kern the Indiana Power Hitting 2nd Baseman would decide to transfer to Cal
CalFanatic
Shocky1 said:

lotta highly recruited/ranked newcomers in both of these line ups

reality is that the strength of this year's team wuz the downtown long ball, if zobac is departing then 4 of the top 5 home run hitters need to be replaced (45 of the 74 homers)

the bears gotta legit opportunity to significantly improve the team batting average next season with more speed (and base running coaching decisions) along with much better pitching with greater control/more strikeouts & stronger infield defense but power could be a problem
Agreed. However, offenses change (and that is okay!). Based on the recruits coming in next year, we really improve on speed despite maybe losing a smidge of power.

I am very excited to see Holly Medina play at Cal. Firecrackers-Rico has produced some of the top slappers to ever play- I can rattle of at least a dozen slapper All-Americans who've played at U of A, UCLA, Tennessee...and Cal! The Reid sisters were a product of the same org.

If you see any clip online (there are several), you see a pure slapper who causes headaches simply by putting the ball in play. In a way, Cal has missed that over the last few years. 57 stolen bases over the last 2 seasons for HM.

"Holly, was also a late find for us and wraps up the 2023 class with the speed we lacked. She is a true triple threat at the plate which is the hardest hitter to defend. Her ability to use all of her tools could make her one of the most dangerous players in college softball. Her speed paired with her offensive IQ makes her an elite baserunner that earned her second in the state of California for stolen bases in high school. She is a really tough out and was player of the year in the Mojave River League. Welcome to Berkeley! Roll on Holly!"- Coach Spencer

HoopDreams
I'm a cal SB fan but don't know a lot about softball

can someone explain slappers?

why does this wotk in SB and what is the basic strategy?
Shocky1
to echo hoop dreams, can someone explain how 3rd baseman defense works?...it seems like the team's most fearless & +1 athletic player gotta be playing 3rd with the potential for pulled line drives to a creeping defender only paces away from the batter

makena smith seemed perfect for this kinda goalie position, is tianna bell of that skillset?
CalFanatic
HoopDreams said:

The simplest thought process is if you are extremely fast- and you are batting from the left side/closest to first base- you can get on base simply by putting the ball in play.

An elite slapper can get from home to first in 2.6 seconds. Home to first in softball is 60 feet vs 90 in baseball. If you are on the defensive end, it leaves very little room for error.

HoopDreams
thanks calfanatic for explanation and great video
Schroeder71
Shocky1-Pond started 52 of 55 games for Iowa State as a freshman at 3B. I placed her at 1B because she stands 5-9. Bell is 5-5 and has also been a career 3B so I acquiesced to CF's recommendation. I am not certain that Tianna is fast enough to cover bunts. The bunt game is a major part of softball so I'm concerned but will wait for Chelsea to make the decision. I also have yet to see Pond play since she missed last season. GO BEARS!
59bear
CalFanatic said:

HoopDreams said:

The simplest thought process is if you are extremely fast- and you are batting from the left side/closest to first base- you can get on base simply by putting the ball in play.

An elite slapper can get from home to first in 2.6 seconds. Home to first in softball is 60 feet vs 90 in baseball. If you are on the defensive end, it leaves very little room for error.

The rule change on being out of the box has had an effect on slap hitters. You now see hits (under the old rule) become outs (new rule) with some regularity. Still a potent weapon, just a bit more of a challenge to succeed.
CalFanatic
WOW. Bahl to Nebraska!
OBear073akaSMFan
CalFanatic said:

WOW. Bahl to Nebraska!
Surprise she left OK after 2 Natty but going back home.
SFCALBear72
From ESPN.com

"Bahl grew up in Papillion, Nebraska, which is less than an hour's drive from the Nebraska campus. She originally committed to the Cornhuskers as a high school freshman before reopening her recruitment and signing with Oklahoma."
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.