Softball: Fall Ball

2,501 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Schroeder71
CalFanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Starting lineup today is:

P Randi Roelling

1. 3B Tatum A.
2. SS Acacia A.
3. 2B Elon B.
4 1B Tianna B.
5 DH Alexis B.
6 C Lagi Q.
7 LF Hope A.
8 CF Diamond H.
9 RF Holly M.
CalFanatic
Cal was up 8-0 when I left (in the 7th). We had 8 hits vs CSM's 2.

Bell and Quiroga both homered. The ball sounds different when it comes off Bishop's bat. She's going to hit quite a few home runs this year. Roelling looked great. 3 innings, no hits, no walks and 5k's. She's got a nasty riseball and can really paint the corners with her screw/curve.

We are an aggressive program. Big swings, stealing bases whenever the opportunity presents itself. All was true today. The only knock was the defense. We gave up 3 errors and of the only 2 hits we gave up, 1 was a mental error. Will be looking for improvement over the fall ball season.

Sam and Ashanti saw action as well in the circle.

Go Bears!
Schroeder71
Cal Fanatic, thank you for your special report. Three of the seven member recruit class were in the lineup today. I was impressed with Lagi Quiroga's home run. Holly Medina was batting 9th in RF. LHP Randi Roelling stepped right in and did her job. DH was Alexis Bishop.

I was not too jazzed about Hope Alley starting in LF. I was hoping to see Kaylee Pond, Ryann Orange, Mika Lee, D'Auna Johnson and/or Nailyn Marshall receive some PT. They would seem to provide more offensive upside
potential plus power. GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
Hope was inches away from hitting the third homer of the day. Some of us thought the ball just snuck into that LF pole. She looked good swinging the bat!

Johnson did get some time in RF. She also stole a few bases as a pinch runner. It appeared that Pond and Lee are injured. I think everyone else was suited up.
Schroeder71
Hope Alley hits for average. She is probably the best bunter on the team. I hope that Kaylee Pond has healed from last season's injury. Thanks for your feedback.
CalFanatic
Welcome! Good crowd today. Hope other people come and catch a game or two during the fall. Go Bears!
OBear073akaSMFan
Schroeder71 said:

I was not too jazzed about Hope Alley starting in LF.
You know this is first game of the year..and it is a practice game! Who knows what the lineup will be when the REAL season start!
BearinOC
CalFanatic said:

Cal was up 8-0 when I left (in the 7th). We had 8 hits vs CSM's 2.

Bell and Quiroga both homered. The ball sounds different when it comes off Bishop's bat. She's going to hit quite a few home runs this year. Roelling looked great. 3 innings, no hits, no walks and 5k's. She's got a nasty riseball and can really paint the corners with her screw/curve.

We are an aggressive program. Big swings, stealing bases whenever the opportunity presents itself. All was true today. The only knock was the defense. We gave up 3 errors and of the only 2 hits we gave up, 1 was a mental error. Will be looking for improvement over the fall ball season.

Sam and Ashanti saw action as well in the circle.

Go Bears!
I met her dad as he is a travel ball softball coach. I told him Bishop's bat is pissed. Her swing is violent.
CalFanatic
Cal held a mini tournament yesterday to conclude the fall ball season.

Highlights:

Lagi Quiroga showcased her powerful arm by throwing out a runner from center field. Who knew she could play the outfield too!

At one point, our defense appeared shaky against St. Mary's. Three infield miscues loaded the bases with no outs. Roelling decided to take matters into her own hands and recorded the next six outs by strikeout. Yeah, she's that good!

There isn't much else to report. We were as aggressive as always on the base paths, displayed our power, and so on. Oh, Kyndal Todd was batting third yesterday. One of the parents told me she's had a great fall season, with home runs, triples, and more. I haven't attended all the games, so that was great to hear. From what I saw, she can certainly turn on an inside pitch. I'm throwing her outside if i'm an opposing pitcher.
OBear073akaSMFan
Thanks as always for the updates!
CalFanatic
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Thanks as always for the updates!
Welcome! Go Bears!
Schroeder71
What position does Kyndall Todd play or is she the DH? Was the infield last season's starters (at SS Anders & 2B Butler) or was the coaching staff experimenting with different combinations? GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
Schroeder71 said:

What position does Kyndall Todd play or is she the DH? Was the infield last season's starters (at SS Anders & 2B Butler) or was the coaching staff experimenting with different combinations? GO BEARS!
I should've written this down...my old brain is having trouble remembering. I think it was:

C Quiroga
3B Anzaldo
RF Todd
SS Anders
1B Bell
2B Butler
OF Orange
(DH?) Johnson
OF Medina

Cal put up 6 runs in one inning against St. Mary's. I remember the sequence being Orange single, Johnson double (she nearly homered), Medina single, Quiroga sac fly, Anzaldo and Todd walked...and I blank after that. I think Anders had one of the big rbi hits.

Anzaldo's been at 3B every game i've seen her. Quiroga homered both games I saw prior to yesterday. Makes sense to give her time at leadoff.
Schroeder71
Thank you for the specifics, CF. Four returning players will probably start as the infield [Anzaldo, Anders, Butler & Bell]. The makeup of the outfield and DH is still up for grabs although Medina has been in the lineup both times that you have listed it. Quiroga will likely be the opening catcher. Southpaw Roelling will be on the mound as often as possible.

Newbies that might see PT will be Quiroga, Todd, Medina & Roelling (4 of 7 from the 2023 recruit class) plus transfer, Orange. GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
Schroeder71 said:

Thank you for the specifics, CF. Four returning players will probably start as the infield [Anzaldo, Anders, Butler & Bell]. The makeup of the outfield and DH is still up for grabs although Medina has been in the lineup both times that you have listed it. Quiroga will likely be the opening catcher. Southpaw Roelling will be on the mound as often as possible.

Newbies that might see PT will be Quiroga, Todd, Medina & Roelling (4 of 7 from the 2023 recruit class) plus transfer, Orange. GO BEARS!
I agree on those Frosh seeing significant playing time. Really strong and impressive class. Welcome, Go Bears!
Schroeder71
I wish Kaylee Pond was healthy to compete for the third base spot that she played for Iowa State. Then, Tatum Anzaldo could play first base like she did AMAZINGLY in the postseason last spring. Tianna Bell could be the DH or play RF.

Please let me know if you see or hear anything regarding her health for the 2024 season. GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
I'm pretty sure I saw her in uniform yesterday. She was not in uniform the first week. Progress?

ACL injuries (let alone multiple) are so tough to come back from. I feel for any athlete going through the rehab process.
Schroeder71
Hope springs eternal! Thanks for sharing. GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
In the three games I saw it was clear Lagi Quiroga was going to be an All-Conference type player.

I had no idea she was a clear All-American...

I guess I missed two homeruns... Coach Spencer can RECRUIT
CalFanatic
Lagi's defense is frankly the best i've ever seen from any Cal catcher in my 20 years of being a fan...so this offensive power....
Schroeder71
Lagi Quiroga's four HRs covered RCF, CF & LCF. I thought that she was a left-handed hitter until I witnessed these highlites. I think that this new recruit will help me get over the departure of catcher Kacey Zobac. GO BEARS!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.