New conference for beach volleyball

794 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by socaliganbear
MoragaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
This is likely the way a lot of non-revenue sports will navigate the dissolution of the Pac-12.

Cal To Join MPSF In 2025
Beach Volleyball Finds New Home

BERKELEY- The California beach volleyball program will join the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF) in 2025, as announced by the conference Tuesday morning.

Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, and Grand Canyon will join the Golden Bears for their first season in the MPSF.

"We are excited to have our beach volleyball program join the MPSF," Cal Director of Athletics Jim Knowlton said. "It was important for our student-athletes to continue to compete at the highest level, and the MPSF will certainly allow us to do that. I'm looking forward to watching our team play against some of the best teams in the nation in the MPSF."

Cal is no stranger to the MPSF with its men's and women's water polo and men's gymnastics teams already members of the conference.

The inaugural MPSF Beach Volleyball Championship Tournament is scheduled for April 2025, with the specific dates and location yet to be determined.

The Bears will compete in their final Pac-12 season beginning this February.

91Cal
Seems like a very good thing for saving on travel. I have no familiarity with the sport, which conferences participate, etc. so hoping someone with more knowledge can chime in...

What does this mean for TV exposure (not that the P12 Network had much/any)?

What does this mean for recruiting?
Chabbear
I wonder where Arizona, ASU and Utah are going? The Big 12 doesn't list beach volleyball as a conference sport.
SFCALBear72
Chabbear said:

I wonder where Arizona, ASU and Utah are going? The Big 12 doesn't list beach volleyball as a conference sport.
The Big12 is adding beach volleyball in 2024-25. I wondered the same thing and found the announcement on the conference's website.
socaliganbear
91Cal said:

Seems like a very good thing for saving on travel. I have no familiarity with the sport, which conferences participate, etc. so hoping someone with more knowledge can chime in...

What does this mean for TV exposure (not that the P12 Network had much/any)?

What does this mean for recruiting?

Probably no impact to recruiting. We did and will continue to play against the best competition.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.