Volleyball

4,633 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Chabbear
HateRed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
New volleyball coach??? The current interim got shafted???
SanseiBear
HateRed said:

New volleyball coach??? The current interim got shafted???
I hope the new coach was told to keep this year's coaches on her staff. I'm curious who was on the selection committee besides the AD.
Schroeder71
Jen Malcom Named Cal Volleyball Head Coach - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

I follow volleyball from a distance. It really seemed that the interim coach, Crissy Jones Schoonderwoerd, had built some momentum for the program and turned recruiting around...

I hope that the key players from last season remain with the program as well as the recruits. Evidently, the new coach, Jen Malcom, age 38, was an associate head coach at UCLA. This move will likely work out over the long haul but I'm concerned about the current fragile state of affairs here in the short run.

Jen Malcom - Women's Volleyball Coach - UCLA (uclabruins.com)
ncbears
I'm not excited by this hire. I will hope for the best.

Found this from 2022 where a columnist included her as someone to be considered at Mizzou. Some other interesting names in the article. Mizzou did hire one name on the list - Dawn Phillips from UNLV. https://www.columbiatribune.com/story/sports/college/tiger-extra/2022/12/03/10-possible-candidates-for-mizzou-volleyball-coaching-vacancy/69694527007/

This article from 2017 comments on Malcolm as a recruiter then. https://iowastatedaily.com/49052/sports/ten-years-later-jen-malcom-has-returned-home/
coachdeke
Maybe "the Blind Squirrel" aka Jimmy Knowlton found another nut.

harebear
I definitely thought that Jones Schoonderwoerd would have gotten this job, if she wanted it. I would assume the players were very happy with her because team morale seemed good. I wonder if players had any input in this process.
HoopDreams
ncbears said:

Found this from 2022 where a columnist included her as someone to be considered at Mizzou. Some other interesting names in the article. Mizzou did hire one name on the list - Dawn Phillips from UNLV. https://www.columbiatribune.com/story/sports/college/tiger-extra/2022/12/03/10-possible-candidates-for-mizzou-volleyball-coaching-vacancy/69694527007/

This article from 2017 comments on Malcolm as a recruiter then. https://iowastatedaily.com/49052/sports/ten-years-later-jen-malcom-has-returned-home/
besides not being Crissy Jones Schoonderwoerd, why are you not high on this coach?
Gobears21
Schroeder71 said:

Jen Malcom Named Cal Volleyball Head Coach - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

I follow volleyball from a distance. It really seemed that the interim coach, Crissy Jones Schoonderwoerd, had built some momentum for the program and turned recruiting around...

I hope that the key players from last season remain with the program as well as the recruits. Evidently, the new coach, Jen Malcom, age 38, was an associate head coach at UCLA. This move will likely work out over the long haul but I'm concerned about the current fragile state of affairs here in the short run.

While I agree Crissy did an admirable job filling in at the last minute, and definitely built some momentum for the program. Saying she turned recruiting around is not an accurate statement. She was hired in Feb of this year. Recruiting for this season (and most of next years class) had already been done. Not a knock on Crissy, just providing an accurate recruiting timeline.
LodeBear
Disappointed !! tell me in one year how the new coach does and then I will consider supporting her. if she does better and does not lose players to the portal, then i will.
ncbears
HoopDreams said:

ncbears said:

besides not being Crissy Jones Schoonderwoerd, why are you not high on this coach?
Because I'm going to type Malcolm - instead of Malcom - too many times and some one will correct me each and every time.
harebear
I'm still disappointed that it's not CJS. I don't know if she applied and I felt that the statement that the Athletic Department released should have done more to acknowledge her accomplishments this season. We went from 0 conference wins to beating Arizona (x2), USC (!), Oregon State, and UCLA (at Pauley)!

And CJS had an excellent overall game as evidenced by her tremendous success both indoor as well as in beach. In one of the articles linked above it seems that JM is primarily known for blocking / teaching blocking.

Also, she has been on the west coast only briefly and AFAIK has never lived in the Bay Area. I hope she is a good fit and will "get Cal". Also in this video she says she likes to "kinda trash talk to the girls" and I don't know what she means by that exactly but IMO it's important to make sure the players feel that she is supportive of them and that they don't take that the wrong way.

Bruins' associate head coach Jen Malcom (@jmalc14)! #GoBruins | Instagram
OBear073akaSMFan
Hope fans & current players are ok with the change in hc & possibly assist too. Don't want them ro look elsewhere especially Maggie Lee. Wonder if ahe was told of the change before the news broke.
3Cats4CAL
Gobears21 said:

Schroeder71 said:

While I agree Crissy did an admirable job filling in at the last minute, and definitely built some momentum for the program. Saying she turned recruiting around is not an accurate statement. She was hired in Feb of this year. Recruiting for this season (and most of next years class) had already been done. Not a knock on Crissy, just providing an accurate recruiting timeline.

Yeah wasn't Maggie etc al recruited by Crosson's team?
ncbears
3Cats4CAL said:

Gobears21 said:

Schroeder71 said:

Yeah wasn't Maggie etc al recruited by Crosson's team?
As I recall, Li was recruited by Crosson et al and committed a year ago (December 2022) but there was no public announcement. The current staff had two signees in November - neither from California - rather Texas and Georgia.
DiabloWags
Texas' Maddie Skinner is UNREAL.

18 kills
6 aces!

Texas vs Wisco

Semi-final on ESPN

NCAA Championship on SUNDAY.

Texas vs Nebraska!

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
CalFanatic
It was fun seeing former Cal Bear Bergmark on the tv screen yesterday. Good luck winning a NC!
DiabloWags
TEXAS VS NEBRASKA for all the MARBLES!

ABC
12 NOON PST
SBGold
DiabloWags said:

TEXAS VS NEBRASKA for all the MARBLES!

ABC
12 NOON PST

This one was a surprise, one I was happy with
DiabloWags

SFCALBear72
Complete domination by the Longhorns. Nebraska has no seniors, so they are likely to be back in next year's finals.

Sidebar: I'm wondering when Cal Coach Jen Malcom will name/hire her assistant coaches.
ncbears
Rennie was just announced (4 January) as assistant coach at Mississippi.
Rennie to Ole Miss

Chabbear
She is one of the toughest Bears and she will be missed.
smh
ncbears said:

Rennie was just announced (4 January) as assistant coach at Mississippi.
Rennie to Ole Miss
thanks for the link, glad to catch up on her accomplishments..
> In her final two years of collegiate competition, she played for the Marquette Golden Eagles while earning a master's degree in corporate communications. At Marquette, Rennie garnered two All-Big East honors (2020, 2021) and a 2020 All-Region nod from the AVCA. She was also named to the 2020 All-Big East Championship Team and the 2021 All-Big East Preseason Team.
Baygbear
I am very frustrated that Rennie will not be apart of the coaching staff. She and Jones Schoonderwoerd seemed to be sharing coaching responsibilities.

I know she wanted to come back to Cal and coach and now that was here I thought she would stay for a while. I have no insight into the program but I am curious if the new head coach didn't extend an offer for Rennie to stay on the staff which would be very disappointing.
Chabbear
No assistants have been named yet. In fact, our new head coach is not listed yet on the roster although she has gotten an article on her:

https://calbears.com/sports/womens-volleyball/roster#sidearm-roster-coaches

https://calbears.com/sports/womens-volleyball

SFCALBear72
Coach Malcom posted on her Twitter (X) account that January 3 was her first day in her office. So, maybe now we'll see some assistant coaches added.

I'm guessing she needed time to move to the Bay Area.
ncbears
First named assistant. Andrew Sato. With Rennie gone, it does not look like CJS is coming back as I would have assumed that announcement would have come before this Sato announcement. I hope Cal keeps the two hs commits https://calbears.com/news/2024/1/11/andrew-sato-hired-as-volleyball-assistant-coach.aspx
Schroeder71
Sato appears to be a top quality volleyball assistant coach. His resume should help recruiting in the future.
GO BEARS!
ncbears
Schroeder71 said:

Sato appears to be a top quality volleyball assistant coach. His resume should help recruiting in the future.
GO BEARS!
Agreed that on paper he seems like a good hire. I hope CJS finds a good spot - her performance last year, in my opinion, justifies it.
CalFanatic
It's a good sign when your former players rave about you. Cal's announcement is filled with comments from his former players. He seems to be very well liked.
DiabloWags
As many of you know, he was a volunteer assistant coach at CAL for the 2017 season.
Fullerton, UTSA, and Nebraska.

His Dad has been an assistant coach at USC for the Men's program for 9 years.
Was an assistant on the US Men's National Team, 1984 to 1988, in 1992, and from 2009 - 2012.
Gold in '88 and Bronze in '92.

A native of Calabasas, Sato graduated from Long Beach State with a degree in sport psychology. His father, Gary, is currently an assistant coach for USC men's volleyball and has been on the staff of four U.S. Men's Olympic teams, including two medal-winning squads that also included Sato's uncle, Eric, as a player (1988, 1992). His aunt, Liane, also played on two Olympic volleyball teams, earning a bronze medal in 1992.
SanseiBear
Does this mean Sam Taumoepeau is coming back?

Sam

She's already listed on the 2024 Spring Roster

I was hoping Tara DeSa would be returning as well, but good luck to her. 808 is proud of you!
Schroeder71
It appears to be the case. Thirteen of last year's sixteen are listed. MIA are Tara DeSa, Kendall Jensen & Sarah Schrag.
OBear073akaSMFan
SanseiBear said:

She's already listed on the 2024 Spring Roster

SB,

What is the purpose of the spring roster?. The NCAA finished last year. Will there be intramural games & will be competing against other schools?. I know in the past, some of high school recruits can graduate early from HS & elect to join the Spring team.
SanseiBear
The team started practice yesterday according to this Facebook post. I have no idea if they'll scrimmage other teams or not.

Cal WVB
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.