Cal-Utah Softball Series.

1,002 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by OBear073akaSMFan
Ccajon2
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Anndd...already down 0-1, Utes win 7-4 first game of the DH. RR pitched terribly in relief, walking 5 in 3 innings striking out none. Wonder who starts the second game.
CalFanatic
I have to wonder if Coach O'Toole being out is having a negative impact. Some things are bigger than softball, and i'm happy for her and her expanded family. The staff has been off though as of late.
SFCALBear72
"Caught stealing" seems to be a problem lately. Running themselves out of rallies.
WhatABonanza
I'm frustrated by the overly aggressive base-running -- we've had several players thrown out trying to score or gain an extra base when the chances seemed quite low.

As for stolen base attempts... When you lead the conference in home runs by a long shot (51 homers for Cal, with AZ second at 38), why on Earth would you also lead the conference in caught stealing? Let your hitters hit with runners on base. Stop giving away outs!

As of right now, Cal and Utah are tied for the league lead in caught stealing.
CalFanatic
100 percent agreed. Sometimes we don't need to try and take the extra base. We've run ourselves out of key rally's against Oregon, Stanford and now Utah. I still think we win the Oregon series if we made better baserunning choices in game 2.
CalFanatic
Archer buckles down and puts up a 0 after giving up the lead off triple. Way to battle!

1-0 Cal in the 5th
Ccajon2
*** happened it was 2-0. I'm
CalFanatic
Cardiac bears...Utah runner on 3rd with 2 outs. Let's go, Bears! Close this out!
CalFanatic
Cal wins! Great response, Archer.
Ccajon2
LoL we got the CS that counted.
Shocky1
haylei archer is a BO$$#
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/110786/replies/2319264
BearinOC
Creating havoc by aggressive running is what keeps defenses on their toes. Perhaps we need to have track and field coaches to get our baserunners a little bit more faster. Conservative running is not the answer.
SFCALBear72
Surprisingly, no Cal home runs thus far in this series.
We're due!
CalFanatic
BearinOC said:

Creating havoc by aggressive running is what keeps defenses on their toes. Perhaps we need to have track and field coaches to get our baserunners a little bit more faster. Conservative running is not the answer.

I feel there has to be a happy medium between the conservative approach by DN and the head scratching aggression. I'm still thinking about the decision to send Todd home against Stanford. The catcher had time to call her family before applying the tag.

Proud of Randi for responding with a 1-2-3 inning after a shaky 1st. 1-1 in the 3rd
CalFanatic
Our defense has let down Randi. Bummer. Utah now up 3-2 in the 6th.
Shocky1
just really bad roster decisions by chelsea in taking out .381 hitter alyssa herrera early in both game 1 & 3 low scoring affairs when every at bat mattered
OBear073akaSMFan
Shocky1 said:

just really bad roster decisions by chelsea in taking out .381 hitter alyssa herrera early in both game 1 & 3 low scoring affairs when every at bat mattered

Thought the same. Alyssa has been clutched in the past!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.