Cal-Washington softball series (link)

1,470 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by SFCALBear72
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
2024 University of Washington Softball (PDF) - University of Washington Athletics (gohuskies.com)

Washington is ranked #9 and Cal is #20 when they meet in Berkeley this afternoon. The Huskies outscore their opposition by an average of 3.44 rpg as compared to the Bear's typical margin of 2.03 runs. UDub has only 17 players on their roster compared to Cal's 24-member roster.

Both teams have explosive offenses with lots of power (homer runs & doubles). Washington returns their top two starters from last season in Ruby Meylan (1.96 ERA) and Lindsay Lopez (2.94 ERA). Also, back is reliever Brooke Nelson (1.87 ERA).

I believe that pitching will be the difference like it was last year in Seattle. The Huskies swept the series by the following scores: 6-4, 16-5 (5) & 10-4. The Bears were able to score at least 4 runs per game but could not hold down the purple 'n gold. Washington graduated four of their best hitters but has re-loaded with transfers and recruits. Cal graduated its two best hitters in Kacey Zobac and Makena Smith.

I hope that I'm incorrect and Cal can pull off a series upset over Washington in Strawberry Canyon like they did two seasons ago. GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
Surprise starter today in Ryann Orange. She has 4 k's through 2 innings. Go Bears!
CalFanatic
5-3 Washington heading into the 6th. Our offense looks pretty good against Meylan! Our pitching is just not there. It's a bummer…
Shocky1
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/110786/replies/2325552
Schroeder71
I was unable to watch the game today but yesterday was an 8-3 loss and today was a 10-4 drubbing. Huskies hammered Bear's pitching for four HRs. I believe three were against Randi Roelling. Washington is beating Cal like a drum.

Cal has only won a single conference series (Arizona) this season. The two remaining opponents are the two other weakest teams, Oregon State (home) & ASU (away). The way the team is playing right now does not give me confidence. I thought that the new pitching coach would elevate the performance of the pitching staff but it is on a steady decline. Only senior Haylei Archer has shown improvement this season. The team hitting has really cooled off, too. I thought that the offense could carry the day but it's not by a long shot.
Schroeder71
In the top of the 1st on Sunday, Washington homered once and almost had another 2-run shot.

I'll watch this for a while to see if Cal shows any signs of fight. Tianna Bell connected for her 10th round-tripper off of a change-up to tie the game up 1-1. Bears have 61 HRs as compared to the Huskies 57. Acacia Anders was called out on strikes, again.

Cal receives a leadoff single by Elon Butler in the 2nd but Alyssa Herrera pops up a bunt to 3B. How much longer is the HC going to give up outs like this. I'm sick of her conservative play. Washington's defense is stellar with two great catches of line drives to rob Cal of hits in the initial two innings.
CalFanatic
Ugh. That mental lapse kills me. UW ties it up 3-3 in the 6th.

6 outs for us. 3 for UW. Let's fight!
Schroeder71
T6th, Washington steals home for the second time in this series to deadlock the game 3-3. Runners were on the corners and Cal throws through to second base, allowing the runner from third base to score (steal home). It seems to me that the Bears are unraveling as a team with number of bonehead errors that they continue to make.

IMO-Chelsea Spencer and her new coaching staff are not properly preparing this team with right way to play the game.
CalFanatic
Yeah, you aren't going to beat a top 10 team by handing them a run. Walking pinch hitters, errant throws. Just an absolutely horrible decision to make that throw on the steal. But hey, there's still game left. Go Bears!
Schroeder71
Cal wins in walk-off fashion in the B7th, 4-3. The only two Bears that are hitting right now are Anzaldo & Bell. Tatum gets a double (2 hit) and Tianna singles to RF for the game winning RBI. Tianna's third hit of the day. Tatum should have had three base hits, too. She was robbed of a double to the LCF gap on a spectacular leaping catch by the Husky SS early in the game. Haylei Archer fights like no other pitcher that Cal has right now. She holds UDub to three runs over 7 innings. The defense gave up the 3rd run. Great win! GO BEARS!
Shocky1
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/110786/replies/2326207
CalFanatic
Walk off!!! Go Bears!
Ccajon2
Furds got swept by UCLA. Canady lost two 1-0 games on the weekend.
CalFanatic
Cal gets to end conference play against the two weakest Pac 12 opponents. Could potentially be a big boost going into NCAA play.
Ccajon2
Well, if we win out, then an 11-11 conference record will give us a better seed, including the conference tournament. It's a shame the pitchings been a disappointment. I've been thinking that even with another top pitching recruit coming in, we are losing Hailey Archer. Maybe there will be a few SEC, ACC veteran pitchers that will be looking for a bit of NIL $ and a change of scenery via the portal. Spencer has picked up a couple decent transfers (Orange, Pond, Kern.)
CalFanatic
Ccajon2 said:

Well, if we win out, then an 11-11 conference record will give us a better seed, including the conference tournament. It's a shame the pitchings been a disappointment. I've been thinking that even with another top pitching recruit coming in, we are losing Hailey Archer. Maybe there will be a few SEC, ACC veteran pitchers that will be looking for a bit of NIL $ and a change of scenery via the portal. Spencer has picked up a couple decent transfers (Orange, Pond, Kern.)
Kern ended up at Stanford, but you're right-Coach Spencer has had portal success!

Roelling is experiencing some growing pains, but I'm 100% confident in her long-term capabilities. Hoping Reimers can stay healthy next year, and we can get some good innings out of California's top-winning pitcher for this HS season (De Nava). I don't know if it's necessary to bring in another arm; we have three in the next two signing classes.
Schroeder71
Most every Pac 9 team has pitching transfers in their respective rotations. I would not count Ryann Orange as one of our top 2-3 pitchers. Basically, Cal has a ton of pitching recruits. None have been top level (to date). GO BEARS!
BearinOC
CalFanatic said:

Ccajon2 said:

Kern ended up at Stanford, but you're right-Coach Spencer has had portal success!

Roelling is experiencing some growing pains, but I'm 100% confident in her long-term capabilities. Hoping Reimers can stay healthy next year, and we can get some good innings out of California's top-winning pitcher for this HS season (De Nava). I don't know if it's necessary to bring in another arm; we have three in the next two signing classes.
I am confident RR will be an elite pitcher. I think we overused her as a freshman.

She needed time to develpe to D1 hitting and it was the upperclass pitchers job to give her room and time to grow.

Having seen Haley finally develope in her senior year, I am thankful of our new pitching coach. Haley had the physical attributes, just needed the accuracy.
OBear073akaSMFan
BearinOC said:

Having seen Haley finally develope in her senior year, I am thankful of our new pitching coach. Haley had the physical attributes, just needed the accuracy.

Thank goodness we had Haley this year and didn't transfer out like Sona. I can't imagine where we would be without her. Btw looks like Sona not pitching much for UCF but is hitting well with 3 hr but only 44 at bats.
CalFanatic
BearinOC said:

CalFanatic said:

Ccajon2 said:

I am confident RR will be an elite pitcher. I think we overused her as a freshman.

She needed time to develpe to D1 hitting and it was the upperclass pitchers job to give her room and time to grow.

I agree about the new pitching coach. I've also been thinking about Orange. I know she's been injured... I believe someone even mentioned needing surgery (perhaps it was you?). Hoping she has enough time to fully heal and develop under O'Toole.

It was nice seeing Ninemire this weekend cheering on the Cal team. I bet she takes immense pride in Chelsea coaching the program.
CalFanatic
Interesting. The only teams in the Pac 12 with more top 25 wins than Cal is... Stanford and UCLA.

I really don't want to get ahead of myself. However, with an RPI of 21 and SOS of 11, finishing 6-1 could sneak us into a seed. Would put us at a 37-15 record.

TEAM: California
RPI: 21
SOS: 11
Top25 Wins: 6- (4) Georgia, (15) Louisiana, (19) Virginia Tech, (24) Arizona x2, (25) Washington

Top50 Wins: 9- ADD: (30) Oregon, (42) McNeese, (45) Utah

Top100 Wins: 20- ADD: (56) Fresno State, (66) Grand Canyon, (69) Boise State x2, (73) Loyola Marymount x2, (77) Cal State Fullerton, (86) Chattanooga x2, (94) Illinois, (97) Sacramento State

Worst Loss: Loyola Marymount (73)
OBear073akaSMFan
Sorry CF but what is a "SOS"? Thanks
CalFanatic
strength of schedule
OBear073akaSMFan
CalFanatic said:

strength of schedule
Thanks (again)!

6-1 last 7 games would be great but would be happy with 5-2. Even though ASU in last place in the Pac-9, their record at home is 16-12 so it will be tough for us.
SFCALBear72
CalFanatic said:

Interesting. The only teams in the Pac 12 with more top 25 wins than Cal is... Stanford and UCLA.

I really don't want to get ahead of myself. However, with an RPI of 21 and SOS of 11, finishing 6-1 could sneak us into a seed. Would put us at a 37-15 record.

TEAM: California
RPI: 21
SOS: 11
Top25 Wins: 6- (4) Georgia, (15) Louisiana, (19) Virginia Tech, (24) Arizona x2, (25) Washington

Top50 Wins: 9- ADD: (30) Oregon, (42) McNeese, (45) Utah

Top100 Wins: 20- ADD: (56) Fresno State, (66) Grand Canyon, (69) Boise State x2, (73) Loyola Marymount x2, (77) Cal State Fullerton, (86) Chattanooga x2, (94) Illinois, (97) Sacramento State

Worst Loss: Loyola Marymount (73)

Yes, but LMU has wins over Oregon and Northwestern and a close loss (0-1) to OK State.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.