Cal at LSU Softball Regional

22,648 Views | 181 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by BearinOC
CalFanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It should also be an easy sell for any top portal pitcher to come to Cal...

We return 70+ home runs, 8 offensive starters and have a 2 time first team all state selection from the #1 team in the state coming in next year.
BearinOC
SFCALBear72 said:

It's true.

She posted an announcement about her decision on Instagram yesterday.

I wonder why she's leaving.
This hurts.
Schroeder71
This is one of the biggest losses that Cal softball has experienced under Chelsea Spencer. Wow! Bears are now without their top two pitchers, Haylei Archer & Randi Roelling, heading to the ACC. The freshman really had an up and down season.
Ccajon2
Since when is Softball transfer privileged info. The SB sites say the transfer info isn't available to the public unless you pay $$. That is bs. Basketball and football are free. None of you actually pay $ to access flo.softball, do you?
Schroeder71
I believe that I have paid for it in the past. I am not aware of softball transfer portal data since Cal has not really played that game much. GO BEARS!
Ccajon2
Shocky1
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/110786/replies/2336932
CalFanatic
Wow. There's some real Pac 12 firepower already entered in the portal.

Fielder, Holtorf, Dayton... Roelling is a huge loss but if we can keep it to one key person, i'll be happy.
CalFanatic
Maybe this is just the new era of college sports. TBH, I hate it.
SFCALBear72
Well, a UW assistant coach, Victoria Hayward, has been named the new head coach at Nevada.
Perhaps these players intend to follow her there.
Schroeder71
Victoria Hayward played as a prep in the CCS in Santa Clara County.
CalFanatic
SFCALBear72 said:

Well, a UW assistant coach, Victoria Hayward, has been named the new head coach at Nevada.
Perhaps these players intend to follow her there.
Meylan now in the portal too. Woof, Washington is getting hit hard! Pun intended.
OBear073akaSMFan
+1000
Ccajon2
Is CS interested in any udub pitcher? Though only a.
9-10, W-L record, Ruby Meylan had 139Ks in 123 innings, opponents hitting only .235 against her.
Schroeder71
Chelsea Spencer needs to contact Meylan to fill Cal's pitching void. I don't know about the reception but the Bears need a bonafide #1 starting pitcher that can eat up a lot of innings next season. GO BEARS!
CalFanatic

Go Bears!
59bear
Ccajon2 said:

Is CS interested in any udub pitcher? Though only a.
9-10, W-L record, Ruby Meylan had 139Ks in 123 innings, opponents hitting only .235 against her.

There will be a lot of interest in Meylan, record notwithstanding. She's a quality arm with a lot of experience. Roelling leaves a huge hole in our rotation.
CalFanatic
Stewart now gone too for Washington. What on earth is happening in Seattle?

We have so much offensive fire power that we don't NEED any non-pitchers. But...
59bear
CalFanatic said:

We have so much offensive fire power that we don't NEED any non-pitchers. But...
Interestingly, there has been almost no coverage of this exodus in the Seattle Times. Until very recently, Heather Tarr has fared very well in the transfer portal even considering the loss of Lynch to LSU and Allchin to UCLA last year. Maybe the Huskies are spending too much of their NIL budget on football.
CalFanatic
59bear said:

CalFanatic said:

Interestingly, there has been almost no coverage of this exodus in the Seattle Times. Until very recently, Heather Tarr has fared very well in the transfer portal even considering the loss of Lynch to LSU and Allchin to UCLA last year. Maybe the Huskies are spending too much of their NIL budget on football.
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-huskies/why-did-six-top-uw-softball-players-enter-the-transfer-portal-no-one-is-saying/

Today ^
CalFanatic
...and now the 8th UW starter in the portal. When it rains, it pours!
Schroeder71
Stewart is from Saint Francis HS in Mountain View. Saint Francis is ranked #1 in the nation and is undefeated (27-0). Cal has failed to land any of the top players from this elite program. Stewart is tall and is a catcher but could easily play first base or the outfield. She's an excellent athlete.
HoopDreams
Is NIL becoming a bigger factor in softball?
CalFanatic
Schroeder71 said:

Stewart is from Saint Francis HS in Mountain View. Saint Francis is ranked #1 in the nation and is undefeated (27-0). Cal has failed to land any of the top players from this elite program. Stewart is tall and is a catcher but could easily play first base or the outfield. She's an excellent athlete.
Cal's 2024 signee Phillips defeated this program twice last year, leading her team to the #1 ranking in the state.

She'll undoubtedly be a 1st Team All State selection this year. Heck, she might be Anzaldo's replacement in the lineup.

https://www.maxpreps.com/ca/hollister/hollister-haybalers/athletes/mia-phillips/softball/stats/?careerid=e87mno9u9em99
Schroeder71
The top three softball programs in the CCS are Saint Francis, Archbishop Mitty & Hollister. I was simply pointing out that Cal doesn't seem to have a pipeline to the Lancers. Bears have recruited several Mitty softball players over the years and now is in at Hollister.

I was not trying to be critical of Chelsea Spencer or Cal. I agree that Mia Phillips has a good chance to start on the infield next season.

Sophia Everett appears to be the best hitter in the class of 2025 (unless Jade Diaz is). She has good power and has stolen quite a few bases. She's not a good infielder, however. Everett will probably have to play the outfield or DH.

Sophia Everett's High School Softball Stats (maxpreps.com)

GO BEARS!
SFCALBear72
Schroeder71 said:

The top three softball programs in the CCS are Saint Francis, Archbishop Mitty & Hollister. I was simply pointing out that Cal doesn't seem to have a pipeline to the Lancers. Bears have recruited several Mitty softball players over the years and now is in at Hollister.

I was not trying to be critical of Chelsea Spencer or Cal. I agree that Mia Phillips has a good chance to start on the infield next season.

Sophia Everett appears to be the best hitter in the class of 2025 (unless Jade Diaz is). She has good power and has stolen quite a few bases. She's not a good infielder, however. Everett will probably have to play the outfield or DH.

GO BEARS!
It's the "tone" of your comment(s) that come across as critical/negative.

"Cal has failed to land any of the top players from this elite program."

Sounds to me like a knock-on Coach Spencer and the coaches before her.
Schroeder71
Yes-I guess that sentence does sound critical. I simply wanted Cal to farm the best softball programs that are in Northern California. Oh well. Sorry, guys!
BearinOC
Are you rooting for Sec-Texas or Acc-Stanford tonight? I'm rooting for the Furds to beat Tejas.
Ccajon2
Canady only got one hit in support lost 1-0. She gets no fielding support either, this is the ,3rd game this week she lost due to unearned run. Pitched every inning too. Wonder if she would consider a change? Not likely.
CalFanatic
Schroeder71 said:

GO BEARS!
I didn't read it as critical, simply thought the connection was interesting. All 3 programs you mentioned are phenomenal.

Awaiting any portal news for Cal...
CalFanatic
BearinOC said:

Are you rooting for Sec-Texas or Acc-Stanford tonight? I'm rooting for the Furds to beat Tejas.
I'm team anybody but Oklahoma =)
Ccajon2
Schroeder71 said:

Yes-I guess that sentence does sound critical. I simply wanted Cal to farm the best softball programs that are in Northern California. Oh well. Sorry, guys!

We've hit Mitty pretty hard. Don't forget Sheldon in Sac. Hollister now. We seem to get a lot of players from the east of LA. Norco region.
CalFanatic
Speaking of top teams... the team of the year is Pacifica! Our 2024 signee Kayli Counts is mentioned in the article.

Scroll down and you'll see another Bear we've talked about on this thread. The future is bright!

https://www.calhisports.com/2024/06/03/pacifica-state-softball-team-of-year/
CalFanatic
Former Cal commit (before Coach Spencer) and Alhambra Bulldog Isabela Emerling is in the portal.

She hit 14 homeruns for UNC this year. A potential target?

https://goheels.com/sports/softball/roster/isabela-emerling/24495
SFCALBear72
CalFanatic said:

Former Cal commit (before Coach Spencer) and Alhambra Bulldog Isabela Emerling is in the portal.

She hit 14 homeruns for UNC this year. A potential target?

https://goheels.com/sports/softball/roster/isabela-emerling/24495
Well, Kaylee Pond came back home and was very pleased with her decision. Could Isabela Emerling be next?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.