Missy - Outstanding Achievement of the Year (2013)

78,436 Views | 191 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by UrsusArctosCalifornicus
OBear073akaSMFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Nailed it ....

Missy Franklin Will Train Under Dave Durden at Cal

Is Dana Vollmer the only post-grad still training with the women's team?

[Edited:] BTW, this would be Missy's third coaching change in three years. Not saying if it's right or wrong, but it's a lot of change. Maybe we should also add: Who are the post-grads still training with the men's team (Adrian, Pebley, Prenot, Shields? Coughlin through the November meet in Tahiti?) Fall semester sees a lot of intensive training by the college team and travel by the pros. Are Chuck Katis and Sean Mahoney (now of Bodbox fame) still training or pursing the entrepreneurial venture?

Is Leverenz retired? I know during Olympics Camille Cheng was here and my guess Farida will be here next year too.

Link to article: Nailed it ....https://swimswam.com/missy-franklin-will-train-dave-durden-cal/
beaverbear
OBear073akaSMFan;842736105 said:

Is Leverenz retired? I know during Olympics Camille Cheng was here and my guess Farida will be here next year too.

Link to article: Nailed it ....https://swimswam.com/missy-franklin-will-train-dave-durden-cal/

I am not sure. I remember one of the Teri interviews on the Cal Athletics Youtube (or Facebook) during Trials season. A reporter asked her what she thought of Caitlin not making the team. Teri mentioned that it would be hard to not see Caitlin at the pool every day. That makes me think that she might not have officially retired, but would probably transition to something else soon. It's been tricky for her to get a lot of pro endorsements; she may have lost Arena as a suit sponsor after 2014, and had to survive on USA Swimming money, Picky Bars, and Milk as sponsors. Pro swimming is cutthroat and no joke.

I forgot to mention that in 2015-2016, the pros on the women's side were: Camille Cheng, Melanie Klaren, Caitlin Leverenz, and Dana Vollmer. Melanie is now at Duke, as mentioned. Not sure about Camille. For Camille, she's probably not a U.S. citizen, so she'd have to either apply for a visa to stay (so she'd have to pursue graduate school at Cal or find a local employer to sponsor her) or start the green card process. (Can someone more familiar with immigration policies comment on this?) Farida is a U.S. citizen (born in Ohio?), so she can stay if she wants to.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-------

Brian Hart: Book by Olympian @missyfranklin & @dfrank4252 coming out 12/6! Book signing at Frame de Art, more details to follow! Buy on Amazon! @TeamUSA

-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-------

[COLOR="#003366"][SIZE=5]Missy Franklin, SafeSplash Brands and USA Swimming Foundation Launch Ripples to Waves Scholarship Program [/SIZE][/COLOR]

Five-time Olympic gold medalist and world record holder Missy Franklin, SafeSplash Brands, the largest franchisor of premium, warm water learn-to-swim schools throughout North America, and the USA Swimming Foundation announced the launch of Ripples to Waves, a program designed to help more than 2,500 kids of all ages from across the country learn to swim each year regardless of their ability to pay for lessons.

Families of Ripples to Waves sponsored children will never see a bill for the cost of their lessons at SafeSplash or Swimtastic swim schools. To do this, Ripples to Waves has created a model that combines the support from USA Swimming Foundation and SafeSplash Brands, its franchise owners, donations from thousands of its existing customers and donations from corporate partners.

"I'm extremely passionate about the Ripples to Waves program and creating more opportunities for children to learn to swim and feel confident and happy in the water," shared Franklin. "This passion is what sparked my partnership with SafeSplash at the start. The good that will be done by the Ripples to Waves program and the USA Swimming Foundation will be long-lasting and is a great example of why I'm proud to be part of this team."

Franklin also serves as a USA Swimming Foundation Ambassador, working to share the USA Swimming Foundation's Make a Splash initiative which provides the opportunity for every child in America to learn to swim regardless of race, gender or financial circumstances. It is the nation's pre-eminent learn to swim initiative, with more than 800 local partners nationwide that provide swim lessons and educate children and their families on the importance of learning how to swim.

[U]FULL TEXT[/U] here: http://www.usaswimming.org/ViewNewsArticle.aspx?TabId=0&itemid=16054&mid=14491

-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-------

[COLOR="#0033cc"][SIZE=5]Missy Franklin says struggles in Rio Olympics were "100 percent emotional and mental," not physical[/SIZE][/COLOR]

"The major thing that I've pinpointed is the lack of balance I had in my life for that year," Franklin said Monday in an appearance to promote "Ripples to Waves," a scholarship program at SafeSplash Swim Schools across the country that will provide free lessons to children whose parents can't afford them. "My whole life, my parents helped me feel well-rounded and so much more than just a swimmer. I've always had school, I've always had friends, I've always had family."

"But in retrospect I took away school, I took away teammates that were all going towards the same goal, I took away friends," Franklin said. "All of the amazing friendships I had made were back in California. I was here, alone, living in my parents' basement, and I was just Missy the swimmer for a year. I don't think that was good for me personally, I don't think that was good for me emotionally or mentally, and I really struggled with a lot of that. That came through in my swimming performance."

"I knew I wanted to be back at Cal," Franklin said. "I have such a passion for that school, for that campus and for everything they've done for me. There's so many benefits to swimming with people that have the same kind of obligations that you do outside of the pool, that have the same motivations, the same drives inside the pool, and people who are really going to understand your situation and what you're going through."

[U]FULL TEXT[/U] here: http://www.denverpost.com/2016/10/17/missy-franklin-struggles-rio-olympics-100-percent-emotional-mental-physical/

-------
tedbear
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842746331 said:

-------

[COLOR="#0033cc"][SIZE=5]Missy Franklin says struggles in Rio Olympics were "100 percent emotional and mental," not physical[/SIZE][/COLOR]

"The major thing that I've pinpointed is the lack of balance I had in my life for that year," Franklin said Monday in an appearance to promote "Ripples to Waves," a scholarship program at SafeSplash Swim Schools across the country that will provide free lessons to children whose parents can't afford them. "My whole life, my parents helped me feel well-rounded and so much more than just a swimmer. I've always had school, I've always had friends, I've always had family."

"But in retrospect I took away school, I took away teammates that were all going towards the same goal, I took away friends," Franklin said. "All of the amazing friendships I had made were back in California. I was here, alone, living in my parents' basement, and I was just Missy the swimmer for a year. I don't think that was good for me personally, I don't think that was good for me emotionally or mentally, and I really struggled with a lot of that. That came through in my swimming performance."

"I knew I wanted to be back at Cal," Franklin said. "I have such a passion for that school, for that campus and for everything they've done for me. There's so many benefits to swimming with people that have the same kind of obligations that you do outside of the pool, that have the same motivations, the same drives inside the pool, and people who are really going to understand your situation and what you're going through."

[U]FULL TEXT[/U] here: http://www.denverpost.com/2016/10/17/missy-franklin-struggles-rio-olympics-100-percent-emotional-mental-physical/

-------

Amen sister!!!
PalyBear
[SIZE=3]"I knew I wanted to be back at Cal," Franklin said. "I have such a passion for that school, for that campus and for everything they've done for me.[/SIZE] :woohoo

UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842746331 said:

-------

-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-------

Missy: The most inspirational women you'll ever meet. Can't believe I even get to be in the same room as them! So excited to be apart of @glamourmag's live summit! #GlamourWOTY

https://instagr.am/p/BMzGiEtDwDD

-------

Daniel Paisner: first copy arrives in today's mail - a message of hope and intention for these uncertain times
#relentlessspirit @missyfranklin @DuttonBooks

-------

Speedo USA: Channel your inner mermaid and own the pool in swimsuits designed by @MissyFranklin
Comfort? Check. Cool patterns? Check. Designed by @MissyFranklin? We wouldn't have it any other way. Pre-order now:

[INDENT]http://www.speedousa.com/missy-franklin-signature-series[/INDENT]

-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842761537 said:

Missy: The most inspirational women you'll ever meet. Can't believe I even get to be in the same room as them! So excited to be apart of @glamourmag's live summit! #GlamourWOTY

-----

[COLOR="#003366"][SIZE=5]In Pictures: Glamour's 2016 Women of the Year Awards[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Glamour's 2016 Women of the Year Awards kicked off on Monday night (Nov 14) at NeueHouse Hollywood in California. Stars at the red carpet included Gwen Stefani, Leonia Lewis, Anna Wintour, and Bono, who was accompanied by his wife Ali Hewson, and their daughters Eve and Jordan. For the first time in its history, the US magazine is honouring U2 frontman, Bono, with a Man of the Year award, for his constant campaigning for women's rights and fight for gender equality.

Olympic swimmer Missy Franklin attends Glamour Women Of The Year 2016 at NeueHouse Hollywood on Nov 14, 2016 in Los Angeles, California. [COLOR="#696969"]PHOTO: AFP[/COLOR]

Olympic swimmer Dana Vollmer attends Glamour Women Of The Year 2016 at NeueHouse Hollywood on Nov 14, 2016 in Los Angeles, California. [COLOR="#696969"]PHOTO: AFP[/COLOR]

Olympic swimmers Rebecca Soni (L) and Dana Vollmer attend Glamour Women Of The Year 2016 at NeueHouse Hollywood on November 14, 2016 in Los Angeles, California. [COLOR="#696969"](Photo by Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images)[/COLOR]

http://www.straitstimes.com/multimedia/photos/in-pictures-glamours-2016-women-of-the-year-awards

-----
Wags
The Bear Does Not Quit.
The Bear Does Not Die.
OBear073akaSMFan
Looks like she is currently taking on-line classes and will be back on campus for the spring semester. Things seem to working out well under coach Durden.

Enjoy http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2016/11/23/missy-franklin-cal-dave-durden/94340952/
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-----

[COLOR="#008080"][SIZE=5]Missy Franklin's Quest to Recapture the Joy of Swimming[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="#808080"][SIZE=3]After disappointment in Rio, the five-time Olympic gold medalist reflects on her life in the water[/SIZE] [/COLOR]

[COLOR="#808080"]Missy Franklin in a portrait taken in December in Manhattan.[/COLOR] [COLOR="#696969"]Photo: Allison Michael Orenstein for The Wall Street Journal.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="#696969"]Jan. 17, 2017 12:03 p.m. ET[/COLOR]

Missy Franklin, 21, is a competitive swimmer and five-time Olympic gold medalist. She is the author of "Relentless Spirit" (Dutton). She spoke with Marc Myers.

My parents are my closest friends. I know that sounds corny, but with me it's not a line. Throughout my life, my parents never tried to force me to be someone I wasn't, and they've always supported me with unconditional love.

I'm an only child, and I arrived in an unconventional way. My mom found out at a young age that she wasn't able to have children, so when my parents decided in their 40s to start a family, they explored surrogacy and adoption options.

[COLOR="#808080"]Dick and D.A. Franklin with Missy.[/COLOR] [COLOR="#696969"]Photo: Franklin family.[/COLOR]

As for the 2016 Olympics in Rio, well, things didn't quite turn out as planned. I failed to make the finals in my individual events, and when I returned home, I felt empty, despite winning a team-relay gold.

I had to come to grips with failure, and it wasn't an easy time. I had to find a way to deal with the disappointment. What's worse, the failure had occurred in front of billions of people.

It's not something I'm trying to "get past" now but instead I'm using the setback to make me a better person and a better athlete. I want the experience with me to use as motivation.

[COLOR="#808080"]U.S. Olympians at the 2012 Olympic Games in London. Ms. Franklin is on the far right.[/COLOR] [COLOR="#696969"]Photo: Getty Images.[/COLOR]

Today, I'm back at the University of California, Berkeley. I'm living in a small apartment near campus with my best friend, who's also on the women's swim team.

I'm a total girly-girl when I'm away from the pool. We've turned our apartment into a place that is silly, frilly and comfortable. I especially like hanging out in the kitchen, cooking Mediterranean and Greek food. Cooking helps me mentally detach. It allows me to be creative and teaches me to let go of any attempt to be perfect. I love trying new dishes without knowing how they're going to turn out.

Swimming is still one of the focal points of my life. My roommate and I are passionate about the sport, but we make time for ourselves and for our friends.

Right now my goal in the pool is to fall in love with the sport again. I want to know that I'm jumping in the pool every day for me and for no one else. I want swimming to become the bright light and source of love and joy it once was.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/missy-franklins-quest-to-recapture-the-joy-of-swimming-1484672627

-----

[COLOR="#000080"][SIZE=5]MISSY FRANKLIN OPENS UP ABOUT RIO DISAPPOINTMENT, SURROGATE MOTHER[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="#808080"]"I had to come to grips with failure, and it wasn't an easy time. I had to find a way to deal with the disappointment. What's worse, the failure had occurred in front of billions of people."[/COLOR] [COLOR="#696969"]Archive Photo via Mike Lewis/Ola Vista Photography[/COLOR]

https://swimswam.com/missy-franklin-opens-rio-surrogate-mother/

-----

[COLOR="#000066"][SIZE=5]Olympic swimmer Missy Franklin dishes on her new training team - a group of Cal Berkeley guys[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="#DAA520"][SIZE=3]VIDEO =>[/SIZE][/COLOR] https://videos.vidible.tv/prod/2016-12/07/58486fad76a605758ef70355_853x480_v1.mp4?XQmtTt2RaNmys_mPJ4Icrana1E_dTIfAuS5wEaH8AuURiOAP7lV0wKWQsatBEN-6

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/02/15/olympic-swimmer-missy-franklin-dishes-on-her-new-training-team/21714218/

-----
OBear073akaSMFan
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842795589 said:

-----

Today, I'm back at the University of California, Berkeley. I'm living in a small apartment near campus with my best friend, who's also on the women's swim team.

I'm a total girly-girl when I'm away from the pool. We've turned our apartment into a place that is silly, frilly and comfortable. I especially like hanging out in the kitchen, cooking Mediterranean and Greek food. Cooking helps me mentally detach. It allows me to be creative and teaches me to let go of any attempt to be perfect. I love trying new dishes without knowing how they're going to turn out.

Swimming is still one of the focal points of my life. My roommate and I are passionate about the sport, but we make time for ourselves and for our friends.

Right now my goal in the pool is to fall in love with the sport again. I want to know that I'm jumping in the pool every day for me and for no one else. I want swimming to become the bright light and source of love and joy it once was.
-----

Good to see her still hanging out with her former teammates! Remember running into her and KV at Safeways a couple of years ago.
Wags
OBear073akaSMFan;842795984 said:

Good to see her still hanging out with her former teammates!

I read this article over the weekend in the WSJ and loved to hear that Missy was back in Berkeley.
Admittedly, moving back to Colorado and training without her friends was the worst move that she could have possibly made prior to Rio.... but it sounds as though she has learned from the process and is ready for yet another journey at the next level.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-----

[COLOR="#000080"]Missy: This essentially says it all... but I would really like to reiterate how this is what's best for me to come back stronger than ever. I'm so far from being done with this sport, and so far from being done fighting to be the best I can be. I've had the best support system while going through this (my Bear Bros and phenomenal coaches get a special shoutout �������� and my fans mean everything to me. I love you all so so much and can't thank you enough for being a part of this journey with me ��[/COLOR]

https://instagr.am/p/BSOxGl8hPgK

-----

[COLOR="#000066"][SIZE=5]MISSY FRANKLIN BACK IN THE POOL AFTER DOUBLE SHOULDER SURGERY[/SIZE][/COLOR]

https://swimswam.com/missy-franklin-back-pool-double-shoulder-surgery/

-----

[COLOR="#336699"][SIZE=5]Missy Franklin Had Double Shoulder Surgery; Out of Competition Indefinitely[/SIZE][/COLOR]

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/missy-franklin-had-double-shoulder-surgery-out-of-competition-indefinitely/

-----

Missy: I will never get tired of making new memories with you (especially when we get to make them in Hawaii��☀️���� Speaking of which, I'm really really sorry I punched you in your sleep last night when I thought the fire alarm that was going off at 3am was just you screaming while having a bad dream�� #mybad #honestmistake #wecaniceittoday

https://instagr.am/p/BSRXPvxhuXH

-----

Missy: Spring break was amazing but now I'm headed off to Raleigh and Greensboro, N.C., w/@SpeedoUSA! I can't wait to see everyone! ��: @GoPro

https://instagr.am/p/BST7U8oh8OM

-----
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-----

[COLOR="#000066"][SIZE=5]Swimming: Franklin works at own pace as she prioritizes her life[/SIZE][/COLOR]

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-swimming-franklin-idUSKBN18V0YT

-----

[COLOR="#000066"][SIZE=5]NO SET DATE TO RETURN TO COMPETITION FOR MISSY FRANKLIN[/SIZE][/COLOR]

https://swimswam.com/no-set-date-return-competition-missy-franklin/

-----

[COLOR="#336699"][SIZE=5]Missy Franklin: Back, Better and Happier Than Ever[/SIZE][/COLOR]

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/missy-franklin-back-better-happier-than-ever/

-----

[COLOR="#000066"][SIZE=5]MISSY FRANKLIN WON'T SWIM US NATIONALS AFTER DOUBLE SHOULDER SURGERY[/SIZE][/COLOR]

https://swimswam.com/missy-franklin-wont-swim-us-nationals-double-shoulder-surgery/

-----

[COLOR="#336699"][SIZE=5]Exclusive: The Heart, Mind and Talent of Missy Franklin[/SIZE][/COLOR]

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/exclusive-the-heart-mind-and-talent-of-missy-franklin/

-----

[COLOR="#0000CD"][SIZE=5]Franklin not trying to be a better Missy, but a happy Missy[/SIZE][/COLOR]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/franklin-not-trying-to-be-a-better-missy-but-a-happy-missy/2017/06/27/b47b7f02-5b00-11e7-aa69-3964a7d55207_story.html

-----
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

-----

20 Question Tuesday: Missy Franklin Part 1

https://www.usaswimming.org/news-landing-page/2017/08/01/20-question-tuesday-missy-franklin-part-1

-----

20 Question Tuesday: Missy Franklin Part 2

https://www.usaswimming.org/news-landing-page/2017/08/08/20-question-tuesday-missy-franklin-part-2

-----

20 Question Tuesday: Missy Franklin Part 3

https://www.usaswimming.org/news-landing-page/2017/08/10/20-question-extra-missy-franklin-part-3

-----

OLYMPIANS GIVE PRAISE TO INAUGURAL LEAD SPORTS SUMMIT

https://swimswam.com/olympians-give-praise-inaugural-lead-sports-summit-video-feature/

-----

-----

http://www.floswimming.com/video/1252533-outside-smoke-life-with-missy-franklin-ep-no-20

-----

https://instagr.am/p/BaXQfr9AYHP

-----

UrsusArctosCalifornicus

-----

https://instagr.am/p/Brk6IRvnWIm

-----

11-TIME WORLD CHAMP MISSY FRANKLIN RETIRES

-----

https://instagr.am/p/BrloiX3FxBW

https://instagr.am/p/Brltbq9gLyb

https://instagr.am/p/BrnPG5wF1aD

-----

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.