2019 Women's Swimming Recruiting

221,859 Views | 411 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by UrsusArctosCalifornicus
bearz012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UrsusArctosCalifornicus said:

Kelly Pash (#6 Nat, #1 IN), Ella Collins (#59 Nat, #5 TX), Lindsay Looney (#17 Nat, #2 TX), Emma Wheal (#51 Nat, #4 TX), Cora Dupre (#35 Nat, #1 OH), Ella Nelson (#13 Nat, #1 TN)
Some times and how each of these swimmers could fit in if they were to come to Cal:

Kelly Pash: Boasts excellent free (22.9/48.5/1:45.2), 200 fly (1:57.9), and IM (1:58.0/4:10.9) times. Could easily slid into our 400 and 800 free relays, and would contribute a solid 400 IM. Swims for Carmel (Amy, Veronica & Sammie Burchill - UGA, Claire Adams - Horns, Drew Kibler - Horns).

Ella Collins: Another freestyler (23.2/49.9/1:47.2). Would need to drop some time to contribute to relays, but would be a valuable recruit nevertheless. Swims for ASC (Dakota Luther - UGA, Kendall Shields - Horns, Matt Willenbring - Horns, Coach Brendan Hansen - Horns, Diana Dunn - Louisville)

Lindsay Looney: Butterflyer (54.4/1:57.8) with decent free sprinting abilities (23.3/50.8) and IM times (2:01.7/4:16.9) I'd see her as a 100 fly, 200 fly, and 400 IM kind of swimmer.

Emma Wheal: Sprint freestyler (22.6/49.8); has a solid 100 back/fly (56.7/55.3) More sprinters are great, as they would fill the gap left by Amy.

Cora Dupre: Basically the same as Emma Wheal but w/ slightly faster times (22.5/49.5/1:48.6); 100 back/fly (54.8/55.9) Swims for Mason Manta Rays (Ashley Volpenhein - LSJU, Hannah Foster - Vols, Jake & Carson Foster)

Ella Nelson: IM (1:58.7/4:11.1) and 200 breast (2:08.9) Second behind Zoe Bartel @ the 200 breast @ World Juniors last summer. Swims for Nashville Aquatic Club (Meaghan Raab - UGA, Allie Raab - LSJU, Tatum Wade - USC, Alex & Gretchen Walsh)
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
bearz012 said:

Back:

Caitlin Brooks (#11 Nat, #3 FL) - Gator Swim Club
- really soared up in rankings (she was #20 at the end of Nov.)
- really just a backstroker, but her improvement curve has been very high

UPDATE => Has now been reported on SwimSwam:

HIGH SCHOOL JUNIOR CAITLIN BROOKS VERBALLY COMMITS TO KENTUCKY

bearz012
bearz012 said:

Caitlin Brooks is following UGA, Michigan (+ coaches), UVA (+ coaches), UofA, Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky, Wisconsin, OSU, Vanderbilt, Duke, Harvard, GTech, ASU (+coaches), NC State (+ coaches), FSU, and Cal (+ Coach Dunleavy!)

Caitlin: "I'm super excited and blessed to announce that I have committed to continue my academics and swimming at the University of Kentucky! Thank you so much to my family, coaches, and teammates that have supported me. Go Cats!! #backstrokeU"

HIGH SCHOOL JUNIOR CAITLIN BROOKS VERBALLY COMMITS TO KENTUCKY

CS ranking as of verbal: #12 Nat, #3 FL

Somewhat of a surprise, but at least it's not LSJU! Interesting how she says BackstrokeU - Kentucky on the up and up.
bearz012
bearz012 said:

TOP TIMES OF THE CLASS OF 2019:
1000 free: Maddie Donohoe (#10 Nat, #1 VA): 9:41.46
1650 free: Maddie Donohoe (#10 Nat, #1 VA): 16:08.71

*times and rankings are as of Dec. 17, 2017*
https://instagr.am/p/BTKvMAljLZR
Looks like the premier distance recruit took a visit to Charlottesville back in April...

-----

Madelyn Donohoe making waves
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Miranda was hanging out at Uytengsu Aquatics Ctr today (Trojans pool)

Looks like Miranda Heckman's currently making her rounds of unofficial trips ... spotted @ Spieker yesterday, I'm sure she received a very warm welcome from all our Bears!
zeldazcat
Spotted Isabel Ivey and Chloe Clark there too!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
bearz012 said:

Chloe Clark (#17 Nat, #3 CA) - Sierra Marlins Swim Team
- great IMs, great 100 back and free, 1:02 breast; only "weakness" is fly (55 sec 100 fly)

Miranda Heckman (#12 Nat, #2 CA) - Pleasanton Seahawks
- great 200 and 500, her 1650 is solid

Ayla Spitz (#23 Nat, #5 CA) - Irvine NovaAquatics
- solid backstroke (53/1:57), sub 2 minute 200 IM, solid 100/200 frees
swimmer19 said:

Chloe- She is the type of versatile swimmer that Teri is aiming for. She comes from Sierra Marlins, which is where 2017 frosh Bryce on the men's side is from. She's also friends/club teammates with Jennifer Lathrop, a current UCLA freshman swimmer. Overall, she looks to be mostly a backstroker with PBs of 53.23/1:56.79, respectively, not to underestimate her breast/IM/sprint free capabilities.

Miranda- Proficient distance swimmer extending in the ranges of 200-the mile. She was a 2017 World Junior Team member, so that could very well impact her decision. Swimming with the Pleasanton Seahawks, she's teammates with 2018 commit Chris Jhong, and current Florida Gator Maxime Rooney. She holds times of 1:46.79/4:41.53/9:50.10/16:28.51 amongst her range of freestyle. Her backstroke (55.61/1:59.79) and 100 fly (55.88) are more than sufficient for a distance swimmer, and her 400 IM (4:15.91) is also very solid.

Ayla- Looks to be an excellent sprint freestyler who can potentially cover relay slots in the future with more development (23.19/49.29/1:46.64 50-200 free). She comes from Irvine Novaquatics, which is where Courtney Mykkanen came from. However, she's club teammates with Isabelle Odgers (2018 Trojan commit), Owen Kao (2018 Trojan commit), and Andrew Koustik (2018 Horns commit). Not to mention, current Lady Longhorn swimmer Rebecca Millard is also from Nova so that may be taken into consideration. Her backstroke times are also similar to that of Chloe's, and maintains a solid 100 fly/200 IM.
bearz012 said:

Actually, for Chloe, I see her more of an Emma Muzzy (NC State commit)-like swimmer, with a good 200 IM (I'm pretty sure Emma had around the same time too) with backstroke being her strongest stroke. Think her lineup would be similar to Keaton's and Thleen's (if she were to come here haha), with 100/200 back, 200 IM.

For Miranda, I can't decide whether she'd swim 200/500/1650 or 500/1650/400 IM. Probably wouldn't be a relay player, and her times seem to be pretty much equal w/ Chenoa's.
(Miranda: 1:46.7/4:41.5/16:28.5/4:15.9 400 IM; Chenoa: 1:48.3/4:41.1/16:04.3/4:13.5)
I don't see Teri recruiting someone with the same times as Chenoa, but if she could drop more time (esp. in 200 free), it might add a lot more value to her.

Ayla has pretty much the same times as Chloe in backstroke (actually, they both go 53.46 in 100 back), just a bit slower in 200 back. Both have times similar to current frosh Sophie K-Z. As I was looking through her best times, I noticed that they were all done pretty recently, indicating a high improvement curve (similar to baby bear Ema Rajic's improvement curve in breast) which could be pretty promising.

zeldazcat said:

Spotted Isabel Ivey and Chloe Clark there too!

So Izzy, Miranda + Chloe apparently taking unofficial trips here this weekend (Cal Junior Day on Senior Day?? ) is a really encouraging sign! (zeldazcat- cheers for the heads up on Chloe & Izzie )

Ayla Spitz may be another promising prospect to keep an eye on - see her strengths as listed in the quoted comments above.

Thinking slightly ahead, let's add her clubmate Ella Ristic to the 2020 list whilst we are about it (Alex Walsh & Regan Smith already automatically penciled in as the top targets ) ...

Ella has received several mentions already on the 2018 recruits thread, and according to swimmer19, "Made the World Junior Team in the 800 FRR, and is fairly versatile in all distances freestyle."
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Have already started focussing on / been distracted by 2020 in the form of massively versatile Alex & Regan (ummm, latter may be a furd lean ~gulp~)...

OTOH, Regan may not be completely lost to the Dark Side quite yet...there's still hope lol - see here:

Quote:

20 Question Tuesday: Kathleen Baker

11. Regan Smith said she really liked meeting you, what was it like to see someone who maybe is a bit like yourself, even similar in height and that upbeat personality?

Kathleen: Regan is such a sweet girl and so much fun to be on the team with. It's nice in the 200 back to have someone with you that you can talk to, and I could talk to her if she's nervous -- it's just so great for her career that she's already made a team. She's grown so much, from World Trials, that to see her get into a final in the 200 back is super impressive. And it's so great that she's such a sweet girl and nice to be around.

C'mon Thleen, keep working your charm & magic on winning over the #3 recruit from the 2020 class (CS ranking, as of 23 Jan 2018) - we all know that Backstroke U's tailor-made for Regan Smith!

Regan & Baby Bear Alex

A bit of a pipe dream perhaps lol, but just imagine Bears fielding a medley relay team of Regan (back), Alex W (breast), Cassidy (fly) & Izzy (free) @ 2021 NCAAs...
swimmer19

Miranda was hanging out at Uytengsu Aquatics Ctr today (Trojans pool)

Looks like Miranda Heckman's currently making her rounds of unofficial trips ... spotted @ Spieker yesterday, I'm sure she received a very warm welcome from all our Bears!

Miranda roomed with 2018 UGA commit Maddie Homovich at Junior Worlds this past summer in Indy. Wonder if any of those influences are rubbing off on her yet?
swimmer19

Have already started focussing on / been distracted by 2020 in the form of massively versatile Alex & Regan (ummm, latter may be a furd lean ~gulp~)...
Regan and 2018 Texas commit Grace Ariola have also been getting along pretty well. Could put horns into the recruiting pic, but who else she's putting onto her list would be hard to see (literally).
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-----------

USA Swimming: There are 39 girls who are 17 or younger (at the time of the swim) who have swum a time this year that would have been invited to last year's NCAA D-1 championships. This is a fast group of swimmers!

-----------

99% probability that my idle speculation's way off course here lol

...but the eternal optimist & hopeless dreamer in me would like to wildly imagine that "Future of @CalWSwim is looking mighty bright #noughsaid" is referring to an unofficial commitment from Izzie + several other promising prospects for 2019... :p

...or perhaps a forthcoming key addition to our 2018 Baby Bears roster, in the form of Sarah Grinalds, or an international stud like MSH (CAN), Delfina Pigatiello (ARG), Mona Sharry (IRL), Caroline Erichsen(DEN)...

-----------
swimmer19

Welcome to Bear Territory, Chloe!

CIF STATE CHAMP CHLOE CLARK GIVES VERBAL TO CAL BEARS FOR 2019-20
bearz012
bearz012 said:

2019 recruits - a breakdown
All-Around:

Chloe Clark (#17 Nat, #3 CA) - Sierra Marlins Swim Team
- great IMs, great 100 back and free, 1:02 breast; only "weakness" is fly (55 sec 100 fly)
bearz012 said:

For my third recruit, I struggled on whether I'd prefer a local or a swimmer that we have a connection with (Carmel Swim Club), but ultimately, for my third recruit, it'd be Chloe Clark (#17 Nat, #3 CA). You might be wondering as to why I chose such a "lower-ranked" recruit, it's because of her versatility. I tried to find the most versatile recruits, and I think that a lot of the distance swimmers (Donohoe, Heckman, Sims) are ranked too high, especially when they can only swim 500/1000/1650 free (I'm a fan of distance freestylers, don't get me wrong.) However, Chloe is pretty versatile, with her weakest stroke being butterfly, in which she still has a solid time of 55.15, though her best event is IM.

So Izzy, Miranda + Chloe apparently taking unofficial trips here this weekend (Cal Junior Day on Senior Day?? ) is a really encouraging sign! (zeldazcat- cheers for the heads up on Chloe & Izzie )

Hmmm, I believe that Chloe does have more than a passing interest in Bears, so yet another talented 2019 recruit to keep an eye on...will leave it to swimmer19 to post any corroborating evidence of this

CS ranking as of verbal: #20 Nat, #4 CA

yes yes yes! welcome to the Bear family, Chloe! (guess I was right haha) A great start to the recruiting year!

Apparently she also has junior nationals cuts in all the events from the 50 free to 400 IM. Truly versatile & impressive!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
swimmer19 said:

(June 2017)
As a sidenote, a trio of talented locals in the 2019 class to keep an eye on for the future...kudos to BearDevil for the tip! :beer:
  • Zoie Hartman (#1 CA, #8 Nat) - Danville | Crow Canyon Sharks

Chloe Clark (#2 CA, #11 Nat) - Granite Bay | Sierra Marlins (...well, I'm considering the Greater Sac area as local here, relative to SoCal :p)

Miranda Heckman (#4 CA, #16 Nat) - Livermore | Pleasanton Seahawks

Yay yay, a bear-y warm welcome to our first 2019 commit!!!

Cheers for the heads up, swimmer19, and also bearz012 + BearDevil for the early scouting ... hopefully more exciting news to follow??
OBear073akaSMFan
swimmer19 said:

Phew! Glad we have the first and hopefully many more to come. Thanks to everyone for all of the updates and analysis of these 2019 recruits.
BearDevil
Congrats to Chloe! All the best in the pool, classroom, and community. Roll on you Bears.

Get that yearly comparisons are flimsy, but top 5 in Cal/late teens nationally is roughly where Maddie Murphy, Chenoa, and Elise were when they commit. Not too shabby.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil said:

Get that yearly comparisons are flimsy, but top 5 in Cal/late teens nationally is roughly where Maddie Murphy, Chenoa, and Elise were when they commit. Not too shabby.

Indeed.

Well, actually Maddie was massively underrated at the time of her recruitment! (good thing Teri has an eye for recruits with upside potential)

Looking back on our posts from the 2016 recruiting thread, here's our 2016 class' national rankings on CS during the Sept-Oct 2015 period:

• #13 Keaton Blovad
  • #23 Chenoa Devine
  • #33 Courtney Mykkanen
  • #55 Maddie Murphy
  • #68 Anina Lund
  • #200 Alexa Buckley
  • #203 Aislinn Light

Current CS rankings, for comparison - Jan 2018 ... curiously, Chenoa's now quite undervalued, IMO - does go to show how arbitrary some of these rankings can be, in spite of their claims to be scientifically based on stats:

• #13 Maddie Murphy (#2 recruit from California, behind Stanzi Moseley...who's ranked #3 nationally?!)
  • #29 Keaton Blovad
  • #55 Courtney Mykkanen
  • #61 Chenoa Devine
  • #136 Anina Lund (no longer on the roster)
  • #171 Aislinn Light
  • #215 Alexa Buckley

https://www.collegeswimming.com/recruiting/rankings/2016/F/?page=1

BearDevil said:

Congrats to Chloe! All the best in the pool, classroom, and community. Roll on you Bears.

Swim on you Bears!
swimmer19

BearDevil said:

Looking back on our posts from the 2016 recruiting thread, here's our 2016 class' national rankings on CS during the Sept-Oct 2015 period:

• #13 Keaton Blovad
  • #23 Chenoa Devine
  • #33 Courtney Mykkanen
  • #55 Maddie Murphy
  • #68 Anina Lund
  • #200 Alexa Buckley
  • #203 Aislinn Light

Current CS rankings, for comparison - Jan 2018 ... curiously, Chenoa's now quite undervalued, IMO - does go to show how arbitrary some of these rankings can be, in spite of their claims to be scientifically based on stats:

• #13 Maddie Murphy (#2 recruit from California, behind Stanzi Moseley...who's ranked #3 nationally?!)
  • #29 Keaton Blovad
  • #55 Courtney Mykkanen
  • #61 Chenoa Devine
  • #136 Anina Lund (no longer on the roster)
  • #171 Aislinn Light
  • #215 Alexa Buckley

I'm more familiar with the recruiting part than the current team, but is there an explanation as to why Anina isn't on the roster anymore?
swimmer19
IT'S OFFICIAL!!

Welcome to Cal, Isabel!

https://instagr.am/p/Begcv-yFtFd

CAL WOMEN KEEP ROLLING, GET VERBAL FROM FSHAA RECORD-HOLDER ISABEL IVEY FOR 2019-20
PalyBear
Hot Damn!!!! Huge get!!!! Great job Teri and Sarah.

Welcome Isabel! You are going to love it!
LegoBear
Wow nice, good job bearz2019 you've hit in 2 out of your 3 wants from your first post.

Nice to see Terry and crew still has it.
bearz012

Izzie remains my dream recruit for this class, having talked her up quite a bit on the board ever since her stellar 2016 Junior Pan Pacs exploits lol. The fragility of social media extrapolations and Isabel's friendship with Baby Bear Cassidy aside haha, I'm keeping me fingers crossed that Ivey would like to keep her streak of beating her state rival (baby furdette) Morgan alive by continuing that tradition @ Cal come 2019 :p If that's somehow not meant to be, then surely Izzy would feel right at home staying with the Gators...for selfish reasons hehe, I'd be less crushed over that scenario for Izzie than one involving the Furd, Horns, Trojanettes or Dawgs!
bearz012 said:

TOP TIMES OF THE CLASS OF 2019:
100 free: Isabel Ivey (#1 Nat, #1 FL): 47.88
200 free: Isabel Ivey (#1 Nat, #1 FL): 1:43.64
200 IM: Isabel Ivey (#1 Nat, #1 FL): 1:55.77

*times and rankings are as of Dec. 17, 2017*
bearz012 said:

She's been talked about multiple times, but my #1 pick for a Cal recruit would be Isabel Ivey (#1 Nat, #1 FL). She's a pretty darn reasonable choice, as she's friends w/ multiple Cal swimmers/commits, such as Cassidy and Reese, and she also follows both the men and womens' teams on Instagram. She's extremely versatile, with her best stroke being free, and her second best stroke being...uh...basically everything. Versatility is something Teri values, so I can easily see Teri targeting her as a recruit.

99% probability that my idle speculation's way off course here lol

...but the eternal optimist & hopeless dreamer in me would like to wildly imagine that "Future of @CalWSwim is looking mighty bright #noughsaid" is referring to an unofficial commitment from Izzie + several other promising prospects for 2019... :p

...or perhaps a forthcoming key addition to our 2018 Baby Bears roster, in the form of Sarah Grinalds, or an international stud like MSH (CAN), Delfina Pigatiello (ARG), Mona Sharry (IRL), Caroline Erichsen(DEN)...

Isabel: "I'm very excited to announce my verbal commitment to further my academics and swimming at the University of California Berkeley class of 2023! I would like to thank my parents, teammates and friends, along with my coach Robert Pinter for their continuous support. GO BEARS!"

CAL WOMEN KEEP ROLLING, GET VERBAL FROM FSHAA RECORD-HOLDER ISABEL IVEY FOR 2019-20

CS ranking as of verbal: #1 Nat, #1 FL

There goes the dynamite. Holy moly, I am so thrilled right now. This year is shaping up to be an excellent recruiting year already. Congrats, Izzy! We're beary (took UAC's pun hah) happy to have you here. (UAC - your prediction was right! Maybe Miranda's verbal is coming soon??)

-----

Seems like she's very popular among her friends haha: 97 comments & 607 likes in 40 minutes...
Caitlin Brooks (2019 Kentucky Commit): OMG IZZY!!! I'm so happy for u! Congrats girl!!
Georgia Bates (2021 Recruit): Congrats Izz!
Mason Wilby (2018 Kentucky Commit): Hell yeah go bears
Talia Bates (2019 Florida Commit): Congrats Izzy!
Daniel O'Connell (2018 Cal Commit): congrats! go bears
Alex Walsh (2020 Recruit): Congrats iz love u so much! go bears !!!!!!!
Cassidy Bayer (2018 Cal Commit): That's MY GIRL
Ema Rajic (2018 Cal Commit): OMG congrats!!! Can't wait to meet ya!!!
Grace Ariola (2018 Horns Commit): Congrats izzy! So happy for you!!
Daniel Carr (Current Cal Freshman): Congrats!! Welcome to the bear family
Chloe Clark (2019 Cal Commit): Yayy congrats!!!
Faith Knelson (2019 Recruit): Congrats!
Courtney Harnish (2017 UGA Commit): AHHHHH CONGRATS
Maddie Homovich (2018 UGA Commit): Omg Izzy congrats!!!
Regan Smith (2020 Recruit): Congrats Izzy!!!
Chris Jhong (2018 Cal Commit): GO BEARS!!!!!
Ella Nelson (2019 Recruit): Congrats Isabel!!!!! So exciting, go bears
Sean Grieshop (Current Cal Freshman): Congratulations!!!!!!
Elise Garcia (2018 Cal Commit): Congrats!!! Can't wait to be teammates!! GO BEARS

Take note of Alex and Ella's 'go bears' Would love to have them join the bear family as well...hint hint

-----

Also lots of support from her friends:

-----

tedbear
And we finally get our Big Fish! Welcome to Cal Isabel!!!!!! By far our best recruit since Dream Team. I guess UAC's Cal sweatshirt indicator is true. Hahaha!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
--------

*OMFG*...haha...well a mite late to the wild welcoming party here (by a massive half an hour ), but YAZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!! ... this announcement has given me a case of the warm fuzzies soooo reminiscent of when Abbey & the Dream Team had made known their verbals back in the autumn of 2014...yay yay yay!!! ... sorry, I'm just at a loss for words jumping around unabashedly in absolute delight

--------

National Jr Teamer Isabel Ivey Sends Verbal Commit to Cal

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/national-jr-teamer-isabel-ivey-sends-verbal-commit-to-cal/

--------
bearz012
SwimSwam article out as well:

Just four days after receiving a verbal commitment from high school junior Chloe Clark to its class of 2023, the University of California, Berkeley has its second pledge for the fall of 2019: Isabel Ivey of Gainesville, Florida's Gator Swim Club.

"I'm very excited to announce my verbal commitment to further my academics and swimming at the University of California Berkeley class of 2023! I would like to thank my parents, teammates and friends, along with my coach Robert Pinter for their continuous support. GO BEARS!"

Ivey is a junior at F.W. Buchholz High School, whom she led to the 2017 FHSAA Class 4 team championship with individual victories in the 200 free (1:44.68) and 100 breast (1:00.99, a Florida high school state record). She was also a member of the record-breaking 200 free (22.46 anchor) and 400 free (48.89 leadoff) relays. A year ago, as a sophomore at Oak Hall High School, she won the 200 IM (1:57.31) and 50 free (

Ivey is highly versatile and can slot into almost any role for the Bears. She finished 4th in the women's High Point rankings for 2017 U.S. Winter National Championships, having placed 2nd in the 200 free and 200 IM, 3rd in the 100 back, 8th in the 100 free, and 11th in the 50 free.

Ivey's best times, swum in prelims at 2017 NCAA Women's Division I Championships, would have placed her in the A-final of the 200 free and the B-finals of the 100 free and 200 IM. She's not all that far off in all her other events, either: it took 22.00 to final in the 50 free, 51.73 in the 100 back, 59.81 in the 100 breast, and 52.12 in the 100 fly.

Her top SCY times include:
  • 50 free 22.43
  • 100 free 47.88
  • 200 free 1:43.64
  • 100 back 52.27
  • 100 breast 1:00.99
  • 100 fly 52.61
  • 200 IM 1:55.77
swimmer19

--------

*OMFG*...haha...well a mite late to the wild welcoming party here (by a massive half an hour ), but YAZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!! ... this announcement has given me a case of the warm fuzzies soooo reminiscent of when Abbey & the Dream Team had made known their verbals back in the autumn of 2014...yay yay yay!!! ... sorry, I'm just at a loss for words jumping around unabashedly in absolute delight

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/national-jr-teamer-isabel-ivey-sends-verbal-commit-to-cal/

--------
I think what we all need, right now, is an impromptu meetup somewhere and just party to celebrate the accomplishments of this recruiting class already! And to think it's only January that we have received these big-time recruits!
BearDevil
tedbear said:

And we finally get our Big Fish! Welcome to Cal Isabel!!!!!! By far our best recruit since Dream Team. I guess UAC's Cal sweatshirt indicator is true. Hahaha!

Penny who?

Massive get for Teri and Sarah! Izzy helps the Bears in free and back.
swimmer19
BearDevil said:

Also provides extra strength in IM, and breast as well. Not to mention her fly skills are also very beneficial to us as well. Heck, she could be her own medley relay.
tedbear
BearDevil said:

tedbear said:

Penny who?

Speaking of amazing Canadian swimmers, does anyone else think that MSH is a pro already? She has been spending a lot of time training in South Africa and is now getting ready for the Commonwealth Games.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
LegoBear said:

Wow nice, good job bearz2019 you've hit in 2 out of your 3 wants from your first post.
Nice to see Terry and crew still has it.
So brill that we had the foresight to "elect" bearz012 to be the OP for 2019, after some heartbreaking results (along with the good news) from 2016 - 2018 - er, no thanks of course to tedbear for leaking his golden lists to Greg Meehan & Dave Salo... (just joking :p)

btw I'm liking how Izz had phrased her verbal, mentioning academics before swimming...

10 Nov 2017

Was just thinking how sweet it would be (for us ) if versatile 2019 top prospect Izzie was to commit here in the next recruiting cycle, so that Bears can be treated to a repeat performance, over 3 successive seasons, of her resounding victory over top furdette Morgan Tankersley in the 200 Free tonight (see writeup below)...

Ivey currently holds a swifter PB in this event (1:43.64 - Dec 2016) over Tankersley (1:44.31 - Nov 2016 = FL HS State Record).

IVEY DOWNS 100 BREAST STATE RECORD AS BUCHHOLZ WINS FLORIDA 4A STATES

Buchholz's Ivey came through with a pair of wins, taking down 2016 state champ Morgan Tankersley of Plant in the 200 free. Tankersley stayed withing half a second of Ivey at the 100-yard mark, but Ivey took off on the 3rd 50 to seal the deal, winning in 1:44.68 to Tankersley's 1:46.75.

In her next individual race, the 100 breast, Ivey blasted a new State Record. She turned in 29.02 and continued to pull away from the field as she touched in 1:00.99, posting a best time by 2.5 seconds and taking almost 7 tenths off the former State Record, which stood at a 1:01.68 done by Caroline White in 2015.
Here's a video of Izzy's post-race interview from Florida's 4A State Champs (200 Free):

Aug 2017
Izzy (#1 FL, #1 Nat for 2019) ...back half surge that was such an impressive trademark of hers during the 2016 Junior Pan Pacs where Isabel had won the 100m Free with a 54.95 PB, only sub 55 sec time in the field ... fastest American in the 200m Free at the meet ... anchored Team USA's 4x100m Free (out-swimming incoming froski Sarah Darcel on that last leg :p) + 4x100m Medley & 4x200m Free relays for the win!

2016 Jr. Pan Pacs - W 4x100m Medley Relay

2016 Jr. Pan Pacs - W 4x100m Free Relay

zeldazcat said:

A 2019 class with Kate Douglass, Isabel Ivey, and CA swimmers Chloe Clark and zoie Hartman would be huge for cal
Well not too shabby so far - 2 down ... 2 more to go haha

Or if Kate & Zoie do elect to go elsewhere, then would be v. happy w/Katharine Berkoff (we still need to make up for the massive losses on back after Thleen & Billy's departures - Izzie & Chloe are naturally a great start in that dept, but Kat would seal the backstroke deal for this class!), + Miranda Heckman + Mary Smutny...
tedbear
Okay, so now that our crown jewel is in the fold, I wanted to state my case for our second most important recruit in the class of 2019. Sorry, bearz012 and swimmer19, it's not Zoie Hartman. Now what we need to consider is that we are losing two of the greatest backstrokers in the nation and in the history of Backstroke U in the form of Kathleen and Amy. Finding a replacement for these two is not only important for our backstroke scoring, but also for our medley relays. For that reason, I think Katharine Berkoff should be the next big recruiting target in the Class of 2019. So let me demonstrate my Berkeley education and analyze the numbers.

50 Back 100 Back 200 Back
Kathleen 23.57 49.84 1:48.33
Billy 23.81 50.50 1:49.90
Keeks 24.62 52.39 1:54.00
Alex 25.41 53.41 1:52.33
I^2 52.27
Chloe 26.13 53.46 1:56.79
Berkoff 24.76 51.94 1:52.26

So the first thing that jumps off the page is that Kathleen and Billy are head and shoulders above everyone else. We knew that they were talented when they were recruited and they have definitely lived up to the hype. Billy would probably be the best backstroker on every team in the country, except for here. We can possibly argue that they might be the two best backstroke recruits over the past four years.

The current backstrokers on the team are a step below. Our current best option after the aforementioned two, is Keeks and she is a second behind on the on the 50, two seconds behind on the 100, and a whopping four seconds behind on the 200.

This brings me to Katharine Berkoff, or as UAC likes to say, the third killer KB. She is the only one who has numbers that are close to Kathleen and Amy, and after time training with Teri, I expect those times to drop considerably. Now, I think Katharine needs a third event, but even if she only does the 100 and 200 Back, and both medleys, she is still so elite at what she does that it outweighs the need for a third event.

I'll let someone else crunch the numbers for Zoie compared to Ali and Ema, to see if my argument holds water.
zeldazcat
in state sprinter alexandra crisera has fast 50/100 along with some backstroke potential (1:54)
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
tedbear said:

So let me demonstrate my Berkeley education and analyze the numbers.

I^2 52.27
Hey really fab to see you putting your Cal education to such a globally vital usage, tedbear! (reminds me of Josh Prenot applying his physics to his swimming lol)

Do agree that Katharine's a priority target for Teri & Sarah, but in all honesty, her Ivies legacy may trump the blue & gold (but then again, Kat does "like" a lot of our team's social media, so you never know...)

We'd have to suck it up a mite for a season if Berkoff doesn't come here, but OTOH it really isn't the end of the world as in the bigger picture, no one from the 2019 class comes close to Thleen or Amy in their speciality anyway (never mind to our Dream Team pair's top end versatility).

Cos there's basically a solution to all of this just round the corner - 2020 top recruits Alex Walsh & Regan Smith!!!

Name | 50 Back | 100 Back | 200 Back
Regan | 24.62 | 51.09 | 1:51.30
Alex | 24.17 | 51.45 | 1:51.42

The duo are rather versatile too (Alex would instantly become our best breaststroker, for example)...

Dreaming perhaps again lol, but would be quite luvly if this trio below was to reunite here @ Cal

https://instagr.am/p/BPlr5U5j_sq
Surfer = Izz
Surfboard = Alex
Wing(wo)man = Cass
OBear073akaSMFan
I turn around and there were 19 new post under this thread! I knew something exciting happened. Roll-on your Bears!!!
tedbear

tedbear said:

So let me demonstrate my Berkeley education and analyze the numbers.

I^2 52.27
Hey really fab to see you putting your Cal education to such a globally vital usage, tedbear! (reminds me of Josh Prenot applying his physics to his swimming lol)

Do agree that Katharine's a priority target for Teri & Sarah, but in all honesty, her Ivies legacy may trump the blue & gold (but then again, Kat does "like" a lot of our team's social media, so you never know...)

We'd have to suck it up for a season if Berkoff doesn't come here, but OTOH it really isn't the end of the world as in the bigger picture, no one from the 2019 class comes close to Thleen or Amy in their specialty anyway (never mind all the pair's top end versatility).

Cos there's basically a solution to all of this just round the corner - 2020 top recruits Alex Walsh & Regan Smith!!!

Name | 50 Back | 100 Back | 200 Back
Regan | 24.62 | 51.09 | 1:51.30
Alex | 24.17 | 51.45 | 1:51.42

The dynamic duo are rather versatile too (Alex would instantly become our best breaststroker, for example)...

So would be quite luvly if this trio was to reunite here @ Cal

https://instagr.am/p/BPlr5U5j_sq
Surfer = Izz
Surfboard = Alex
Wing(wo)man = Cass

I agree that Alex is a much better backstroker and overall versatile swimmer than KB3, and yes Alex is higher on my wish list too, but why not both? I'm not ready to concede a year without an elite backstroker. Regan is not likely coming. #sweatshirtindicator

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.