2019 Women's Swimming Recruiting

221,845 Views | 411 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by UrsusArctosCalifornicus
bearz012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
swimmer19 said:

Recruits targeted include Isabelle Stadden, Anna Keating, Abby Harter, Lillie Nordmann, Emma Sticklen, Caroline Cooper, Phoebe Bacon, Walshes, to name a few... think we've discussed most these recruits in one way or another?

Not sure if on Teri's radar for 2020, but Caraline Baker (Fort Collins) was spotted with 'SC gear on. Teammate of Zoe Bartel, so that may affect recruiting? https://instagr.am/p/Bf60cOpBVgI(2nd pic)

Think I see Abby donning some Cal gear right here ...
http://vsco.co/abbyharter/media/5ab8657d18629b7c1ecf1943

She'd be a terrific get, with a 53 sec 100 fly and 1:56 200 fly that could probably be lowered a bit before she arrives here!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
swimmer19 said:

The NCSA team competing at Irish Open last week along with other elite recruits in 2019 and onwards is now being targeted by UVA/All Coaches and NCSU/Braden Holloway in the form of social media, although we know that may not be an accurate indicator. Not to mention, other top programs in the form of Michigan are also scrambling to attract these recruits. Think Teri may want to plan out her 2020 recruiting map now so that she isn't left in a hole come summer 2019...

Cheers for that insightful observation!

Whilst it's a given that social media is notoriously unreliable & frequently misleading as a prediction tool for recruiting trends (classic example being Eva Merrell - just refer to our various misinterpretations of the top recruit as a heavy Bears lean, back on the 2018 recruits thread lol), I reckon OTOH that it can represent a potent channel for recruiters to reach coveted prospects early, esp since there is a trend these days of the best recruits committing ever earlier & earlier, when this is piggybacked onto the more traditional tried-and-tested methods of communication.

Not claiming that Cal should necessarily emulate the brash, flashy showmanship style lol of the Hoos' new management team, even if their in-your-face advertising appears to have paid off handsomely thus far with regards to their impressive 2019 class. Sometimes simply being understated & humble in one's accomplishments speaks volumes...

Recruiting may only represent half the key to a swim programme's measure of success, but it is fundamentally one of the core components along with development etc, and I sincerely hope that recruiting proactively and keeping up with the ever rapidly-shifting landscape will continue to be a major focus of Cal's Swim & Dive programme! (IMO this is an area where members of the team can also make massive contributions, esp those Bears who up-and-comers may look up to, and team members who enjoy a wide circle of social connections & popularity).

Take a look at perennial NCAA favourites Georgia, who can proudly attest to winning 7 NCAA national championships since 1999, finishing in the Top 2 a staggering 15 times. Well took just 2 seasons of recruiting hiccups (no doubt fueled by that controversial debacle involving Bauerle and a certain student-athlete Olympian) for the Lady Dawgs to plummet all the way down to 11th at the past NCAAs! UGA will surely return to form after their amazing 2018 class + transfers, but their rediscovered recruiting mojo & momentum may take a bit of time to yield results where the Bulldogs are back as serious championship contenders...

On the other side of the coin, witness the relentless Furdette Juggernaut domination these past few years after having snagged the top recruiting classes of 2014, 2016, 2017 & 2018...

UPDATES --> To partially quote BD's words of wisdom:
Quote:

Bears could definitely improve, but think they need to use it strategically to fit their specific needs and goals.

The blanket shotgun approach doesn't fit Cal. Teri needs to build a roster that can generate 450 points, fits Cal academically and culturally, and fills out at least three sets of all five relays for dual meets.

Ballpark that means 4 scorers (3 top twenty recruits, 1 developmental underrated high potential recruit), a scoring spring or platform diver every other year, and 2 or 3 academically inclined dual relay swimmers (preferably in-state). To yield that, probably have to focus on 20-25 potential recruits annually.

Very dubious about huge classes like 'SC and UVa. Once you lose class balance (more than 4 or 5 high end recruits in a single class), it's hard to rebalance ($s and roles). Attrition inevitably follows. Teri wants to contend every year, so she needs the year to year balance.

Hope and expect she builds a team that represents Cal well across the board and scores between 400 and 450 points every year. May win a title in that range and likely won't fall below second or third.

Teri's responsibility is to define needs, assess fit, and calculate $ offers. Sarah needs to execute, and the team needs to follow through and recruit more aggressively at regional and national meets.

And from tedbear:
Quote:

Yes, I understand the importance of social media, but the real criteria should be:

1. Connection with coaches and future teammates
2. Team history of getting swimmers to the next level, i.e. Olympics, Worlds, etc.
3. The academic excellence of the University and whether they have programs that you are interested in.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-------------

bearz012 said:

Lindsey Looney (#16 Nat, #2 TX) - Metroplex Aquatics
- slightly slower 100/200 fly than Smutny, a solid 400 IM

Lindsay Looney --> ASU

CS ranking as of verbal: #22 Nat, #3 TX

-------------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-------------

bearz012 said:

Zoie Hartman (#5 Nat, #1 CA) - Crow Canyon Country Club Sharks
- also good 50 free & solid 100/200 free
- sub 2:09 in 200 breast! (2:08)
UrsusArctosCalifornicus said:

Think we're all waiting (with bated breath lol) for key decisions from Katharine Berkoff (biggest potential impact!) & Zoie Hartman...

Zoie Hartman --> Dawgs

CS ranking as of verbal: #6 Nat, #1 CA

-------------
bearz012

Ryley: "Feel blessed to announce my verbal commitment to continue my academic and swimming careers at Indiana University! I'm beyond thankful and excited for this opportunity. Thank you to everyone who has supported me through this process. I cannot wait to join the Hoosier family! #goIU"

4X FLORIDA 2A STATE CHAMP RYLEY OBER VERBALLY COMMITS TO INDIANA

CS ranking as of verbal: #72 Nat, #7 FL

-----

Kenna: "Excited to announce my verbal commitment to continue my academic and swim career at the University of Tennessee! Thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way! Go Vols!"

LADY VOLS ADD 3RD VERBAL FOR 2019 FROM 3-TIME NCHSAA 4A CHAMP KENNA HANEY

CS ranking as of verbal: #50 Nat, #3 NC

-----

Abby: "I am beyond excited to announce my verbal commitment to continue my academic and athletic careers at the University of Louisville! I fell in love with the team and the coaches there and I can't wait to officially be a Cardinal! LET'S GO CARDS!!!"

2X OHIO HS RECORD-HOLDER ABBY HAY SENDS VERBAL TO LOUISVILLE

CS ranking as of verbal: #43 Nat, #3 OH
bearz012

Zoie Hartman --> Dawgs

CS ranking as of verbal: #6 Nat, #1 CA

https://instagr.am/p/BhnHNz5gffX

-------------

Quite a shock, tbh. Thought she was destined for $C. Guess UGA won't have a breaststroke problem anymore with the transfer of Carnevale too...
OBear073akaSMFan
Guess we didn't get any help from Ethan Hall or Mrs Hall! I'm just saying....
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

there is a trend these days of the best recruits committing ever earlier & earlier

NCAA ADJUSTS RECRUITING DATES, LOCATIONS FOR PROSPECTS

NCAA DIVISION I COUNCIL ALLOWS OFFICIAL VISITS DURING JUNIOR YEAR

A decision by the NCAA Division I Council will change the way student-athletes are recruited for all sports except football and basketball.

The changes, which were also endorsed by the Division I Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, move up the start date for official visits to September 1 of the prospect's junior year, instead of the first day of classes senior year.

In addition to moving up the start date for official visits, another key change is the removal of athletic departments from the unofficial visit process until September 1 of the prospect's junior year.

Also included in the new legislation is the ban of recruiting conversations during school camps and clinics until after the same date.

The changes will take effect with the start of next school year (2018-2019).

The impetus behind the legislation is the growing amount of recruiting of and verbal commitments by middle school athletes. While recruiting within swimming hasn't yet gone that far, we have seen a complete paradigm shift in the recruiting process the past couple years, with more and more high-level swimmers verbally committing in the spring of their junior years and some during their sophomore years.

Not addressed in the approved legislation are communications, verbal and written offers and off-campus contacts.

bearz012

Emily: "I'm super excited to announce my verbal commit to the University of Kentucky! Thank you to all my family, coaches, and teammates that have supported me along the way. Go Wildcats!! #bleedblue"

EMILY BAETH GIVES KENTUCKY WOMEN THEIR 4TH VERBAL FOR CLASS OF 2023

CS ranking as of verbal: #206 Nat, #4 IA

-----

Hannah: "When I swam a lifetime best of 1:12 in the 100 breast at our mid-season taper meet freshman year, I never thought I'd be in this position! Although I'm a two time state qualifier in track, finishing as high as 5th in Division I in the 300m hurdles, I'm now looking forward to swimming year-round for the first time. I'm so excited to share my verbal commitment to The Ohio State University. I chose Ohio State because I immediately felt at home when I met the girls and I know the coaches are dedicated to helping me reach my full potential. Go Bucks!"

BUCKEYES GET VERBAL COMMITMENT FROM OHSAA RECORD-HOLDER HANNAH BACH

CS ranking as of verbal: #224 Nat, #10 OH

-----
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-----

National Junior Camp 2018 in progress @ the OTC this weekend.

Believe 2019 Baby Bear Isabel Ivey (presence confirmed earlier) & 2018 Baby Bear Cassidy Bayer are in attendance, along with 2018 Baby Bear Alex Sumner.

• UPDATE => Sumner sighting here, yay

At any rate, these Nat Jr camps are of massive importance not only for training & learning purposes, but are also historically key occasions where many close friendships & bonds are developed & fostered amongst the Nat Jr Team members.

Really smashing that Cal has several outstanding representatives/ambassadors this time round, to build bridges to future generations of the top up & coming talent in this country

Alright with that all said... -> hey Cass, Izzy & Alex - please be good lil Bears and start working on recruiting 2020 #1 Alex Walsh & #2 Regan Smith, ASAP!

...esp since I'm sure 2018 saplings Zoe, Lucie, Anya & Amalie will be crusading hard on behalf of the furdettes up there @ Colorado Springs ... not to mention 2018 Furd Daniel Roy already attempting to convert Regan to the Dark Side during their extended layover @ Denver airport! :p

• UPDATE => Bayer with Julia Cook (2018 Horns), Regan Smith & Gabby Kopenski (2018 Aggies)...
https://instagr.am/p/Bh3BhV-B05S

• UPDATE => Hope Izzie (light grey hoodie) is telling 2020 #6 recruit Phoebe Bacon (white USA swim cap @ bottom centre of photo, behind Izz) how much better the hot tubs & ice baths are back @ Berkeley hehe:
https://instagr.am/p/Bh2KTaTBuFs

Lucie Nordmann (2018 Furd), Izzy, Kensey McMahon (2018 Crimson Tide), Christin Rockway (2018 Hoosiers)

-----

Izz (#1 2019 recruit & future Bear ) featured here:

Also, Alex Walsh (#1 2020 recruit & prospective Bear? ) in this vid: (cheers for the heads up, bearz012!)

-----
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

A decision by the NCAA Division I Council will change the way student-athletes are recruited for all sports except football and basketball.

NEW NCAA RULE CHANGES IN PLAIN ENGLISH

Official Visits:

When: September 1 of your Junior year, effective August, 2018, except during a dead period (see below).

What: A visit becomes official if the school pays for anything other than a ticket to an on campus event. If they buy you a hot dog it becomes an official visit. Due to budgetary cutbacks many schools don't have the money to pay for the entire trip and may ask you to pay for your transportation to and from campus. The schools will usually pick up the tab for room and board while you are there.

Your parents may come with you on an official visit and schools are allowed to pay for their room and board while they are there, but they are not allowed to pay for their transportation. This depends on a schools recruiting budget.

Limits: Recruits are allowed to take official visits to 5 different Division I schools in total from September 1 of your Junior year through your Senior year of High School, except during a dead period, effective August 1, 2018.

Unofficial Visits:

When: September 1 of your Junior year in High school, except during a dead period, effective
immediately.

What: Unofficial visits are unlimited as long as you pay for everything on your trip. A school can provide tickets to an on-campus event while you are there. You are allowed to spend the night with the team, but you will have to pay the going rate for the dorm room or motel.

Tip: let the coach know well in advance that you are coming to campus You may visit a school prior to September 1 of your Junior year; however you are not allowed contact with anyone employed by the athletic department, effective immediately. In other words, coaches are no longer allowed to meet with a recruit or their parents on an unofficial visit before your junior year.

Verbal Commitments:

When: Anytime

What: You can give your verbal commitment to attend a school at any time and the coach can give you a verbal commitment for a scholarship offer or a spot on the team at any time. Verbal commitments are not binding, but rarely do the coaches not honor their scholarship offers. Usually it's the recruit who backs out, if you give your word to a coach you should honor it.

Pay attention to admission deadlines, for merit aid, as they vary from school to school. Lastly, the NCAA is allowing each institution to decide when they will issue a written scholarship offer.

Keep in mind that this will vary widely from institution to institution and is effective immediately. The old rule only allowed a school to put a scholarship offer in writing in August prior to the senior year. The new rule allows schools to issue a written scholarship offer at any time at their discretion.

Dead period:

Coaches are not allowed to meet recruits face to face during a recruiting dead period. This is 48 hours prior to and 48 hours after the first day of signing periods in November and April.

• Edit: After posting, the NCAA contacted ACC Recruiting to clarify an earlier misstatement made by the NCAA about written offers. An update from ACC Recruiting is below:

"We have a correction on the information that we sent to SwimSwam regarding NCAA rule changes that was posted last week.

Our NCAA Compliance Director called the NCAA and was told over the phone that they were going to start allowing schools to provide a written scholarship offer prior to August 1 (the current rule) before the senior year.

We have contacted them again and apparently they are not changing the rule.

Here is the rule:

Schools are not allowed to issue a written scholarship offer to a prospect until August 1 prior to the prospect's senior year in high school.

Sorry for the confusion."

---------

---------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
bearz012 said:

With many of the top 10 recruits verballing so early, many others have gone on unofficial visits as well...

Jade Foelske (#47 Nat, #1 GA) recently visited ASU ...

https://instagr.am/p/BhsaZDDAHM8

------

Jade Foelske --> ASU

CS ranking as of verbal: #48 Nat, #1 GA

https://instagr.am/p/Bhz-GsahgpV

------
bearz012
bearz012 said:

A full NCSA Juniors Recap - lots of fast swims and some new & old recruits to look out for...

2019:
2) Rachel Klinker (#25 Nat, #1 KY)
- placed 4th in the 1000 free with a 9:51.23, 6th in 200 fly (1:58.29), 2nd in 200 free (1:46.56)

Rachel: "I'm excited to announce that I will be continuing my academic and athletic career at the University of California, Berkeley! This is a dream come true, and I can't wait to swim with the team! Thank you to everyone who has helped me reach this point of my career. Go Bears!"

CAL WOMEN PICK UP VERBAL COMMITMENT FROM RACHEL KLINKER

CS ranking as of verbal: #26 Nat, #1 KY

Lots of distance prowess, which we were looking for, since Chenoa & Jenna, our dual meet distancers, will be graduating rather soon. 49.9/1:46.0/4:46.7/9:51.2/16:33.9 freestyle times. Also has solid fly times: 54.1/1:57.9!

Welcome to the family, Rachel, and GO BEARS!!!

UPDATE =>

UPDATE #2 =>
Looks like she also had visited Kentucky with NC State commit Katie Mack and Noah Young back in September of 2017.

-----
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
bearz012 said:

New recruit for us Bears!

Rachel Klinker --> Cal

Yay!!!! Welcome to the Bear family, Rachel...you're going to love it here!
tedbear
Nice get that fills a lot of needs. She will likely go 500 Free, 200 Free, and 200 Fly.
OBear073akaSMFan
bearz012 said:

Quote:

A full NCSA Juniors Recap - lots of fast swims and some new & old recruits to look out for...

2019:
2) Rachel Klinker (#25 Nat, #1 KY)
- placed 4th in the 1000 free with a 9:51.23, 6th in 200 fly (1:58.29), 2nd in 200 free (1:46.56)

Rachel: "I chose the University of California because I believe it's a perfect fit for me! Teri and Sarah coach an amazing team, and I can't wait to be a part of it. Go Bears!"

Rachel Klinker --> Cal

CS ranking as of verbal: #26 Nat, #1 KY

Lots of distance prowess, which we were looking for, since Chenoa & Jenna, our dual meet distancers, will be graduating rather soon. 49.9/1:46.0/4:46.7/9:51.2/16:33.9 freestyle times. Also has solid fly times: 54.1/1:57.9!

Welcome to the family, Rachel, and GO BEARS!!!

UPDATE =>

Maybe will become the second greatest Cal swimmer from Kentucky, " Madam Butterfly". I look forward to seeing you at Cal, Rachel
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
bearz012 said:

-----

2018 IRISH OPEN DAY 3: BRENDAN HYLAND CRUSHES NEW 2FLY NATIONAL RECORD

America's Rachel Klinker led the charge in the women's 200m fly, making it a 1-2-3 finish for the stars n' stripes. Klinker clocked 2:12.90 for the gold, with Caroline Cooper and Abigail Harter right behind in respective times of 2:13.12 and 2:14.54.

-----

2018 NCSA SPRING JR NATIONALS: DAY 3 FINALS LIVE RECAP

WOMEN'S 200 FREE
[ol]
  • Claire Tuggle 1:44.96
  • Rachel Klinker 1:46.56
  • Annika Wagner 1:47.01
  • Talia Bates 1:47.11
  • Sophie Housey 1:47.32
  • Morgan Tankersley 1:47.58
  • Sophie Skinner 1:48.15
  • Addison Smith 1:48.75
  • [/ol]
    Claire Tuggle threw down a dominating performance in the women's 200 free, dropping nearly 3 full seconds to go 1:44.96. That time is #2 all-time for 13-14 girls, behind only Missy Franklin, who holds the NAG at 1:44.55. Tuggle's time is however the fastest a 13 year old has ever gone. Her splits were incredibly consistent, coming in at 24.71/26.64/26.93/26.68. Those splits add up to 100s of 51.35 and 53.61.

Runner-up Rachel Klinker led through the 150, blasting a 50.62 on the first 100 before fading a bit on the back half (55.94).

-----

Also:

"Tates Creek High Schools Rachel Klinker compete and wins the 500 yard freestyle at the 2018 KHSAA Girls State Swimming Championship at the Ralph Wright Natatorium in Louisville, Kentucky, February 24, 2018." - John Sommers II/Special to the CJ

-----

Some reader comments from the SwimSwam writeup on Rachel's verbal to Bears...

Quote:

KEVINM: "Spent some time with this young lady recently at NCSA and the team travel for the Ireland meet she is one of the most friendly, polite, outgoing, personable young people I have ever been around. great pickup by any school. (bonus, her times are pretty good too)"

KYSWIMCOACH: "This young lady has a ton of positive energy and will help her Cal teammates improve. Good pickup for the Bears."

-----
    swimmer19

Alright with that all said... -> hey Cass, Izzy & Alex - please be good lil Bears and start working on recruiting 2020 #1 Alex Walsh & #2 Regan Smith, ASAP!

...esp since I'm sure 2018 saplings Zoe, Lucie, Anya & co. will be crusading hard on behalf of the furdettes up there @ Colorado Springs ... not to mention 2018 Furd Daniel Roy already attempting to convert Regan to the Dark Side during their extended layover @ Denver airport! :p

=> Bayer with Julia Cook (2018 Horns), Regan Smith & Gabby Kopenski (2018 Aggies)...

=> Hope Izzie (light grey hoodie) is telling 2020 #6 recruit Phoebe Bacon (white USA swim cap @ bottom centre of photo, behind Izz) how much better the hot tubs & ice baths are back @ Berkeley hehe:

Has there been an Alex Walsh sighting yet? Don't think she was in Chula Vista a few weeks prior for the National Team training camp either, so should her presence be expected in Colo Springs?

Don't forget our male representative, Reece Whitley!! He could also be of big help in the effort to recruit some 2019 men that are attending (if they are uncommitted...), which isn't very many. Could also help Izzy/Cass/Alex Sumner in recruiting 2019 uncommitted/2020 women's recruits at his leisure.

Also, is Regan -> Furd automatically assumed at this point, or are we purely basing it off of social media? Since the NCAA came out with new recruiting rules earlier this week, what are the chances of her being on Cal campus as early as this fall? Honestly, she may as well forgo both us and the Furd, and take Beata Nelson's route.
    UrsusArctosCalifornicus
    swimmer19 said:

Also, is Regan -> Furd automatically assumed at this point, or are we purely basing it off of social media? Since the NCAA came out with new recruiting rules earlier this week, what are the chances of her being on Cal campus as early as this fall?

Ooooh would be eva soo bear-y luvly if both Alex Walsh & Regan Smith were to join 2019 commits Izzy, Chloe & Rachel on the sidelines @ Memorial Stadium this coming Sept on an official visit!!! KB3 aka Katharine Berkoff would be very welcome too...

Furdettes may be feverishly working overtime to convert Regan to the Dark Side, but I'm clinging to my personal belief/hopes that she may yet see the light haha.

At least Cass is helping out here on the socialising side (check out Regan's banter with Cassidy in the comments lol):

https://instagr.am/p/Bh45KIQl_LD
    Hey perhaps Bayer's charms will also end up persuading either of the future Horns above to switch their commitments to Bears...you never know haha

------

UPDATE => this just posted...at a quick, cursory glance, Baby Bears Cass & Alex S. are kneeling together (next to 2018 Dawg Madison Homovich?) ... Regan & Phoebe Bacon are sitting together ... and the saplings thankfully at some distance away haha (Lucie & Anya standing at the back, centre, in front of Dawg Zoie Hartman ... Zoe sitting cross-legged on the other side across from Regan ... DRoy arms round Amalie, next to IU's Emily Weiss)

No Izzy, Reece (believe he's @ U Penn today), or Alex Walsh??

bearz012
    https://instagr.am/p/Bh4t9IPnD0U

(from L-R)
    Back: Julia Cook (2018 UT), Anya Goeders (2018 LSJU), Lucie Nordmann (2018 LSJU), Maddie Donohoe (2019 UVA), Zoie Hartman (2019 UGA)
    Middle: Erica Sullivan (2018 USC), Rhyan White (2018 Bama), Zoe Bartel (2018 LSJU), Kenisha Liu (2016 UCLA), Grace Ariola (2018 UT), Phoebe Bacon (2020 Recruit)
    Front Chase Travis (2020 Recruit), Kensey McMahon (2018 Bama), Alex Sumner (2018 Cal), Cassidy Bayer (2018 Cal), Isabel Ivey (2019 Cal), Regan Smith (2020 Recruit), Lindsay Looney (behind Regan, 2019 ASU), Olivia Carter (2018 UGA)

Looks like Regan is surrounded by 3 Bears!

(thanks to swimmer19 for identifying Chase and Rhyan!)
    UrsusArctosCalifornicus
    bearz012 said:

Front Chase Travis (2020 Recruit), Kensey McMahon (2018 Bama), Alex Sumner (2018 Cal), Cassidy Bayer (2018 Cal), Isabel Ivey (2019 Cal), Regan Smith (2020 Recruit), Lindsay Looney (behind Regan, 2019 ASU), Olivia Carter (2018 UGA)

Looks like Regan is surrounded by 3 Bears!

Yaz, Regan hanging out w/Alex, Cass & Izz!!!!

-------
    • UPDATES => (instas as they get posted from the OTC):

OTOH, not so sure about the following tree-themed one lol...hmmm, clever concept, I guess...could have been massively improved if Regan was holding the axe to chop those saplings though :p

https://instagr.am/p/Bh5PLf8g6UP
    -------

1 Baby Bear (Cass) + 1 puppy (Maddie H) = ?

https://instagr.am/p/BiDfi7THHXu
    -------
    bearz012

Natalie: "Dreams do come true!! I am beyond excited to announce my commitment to continue my athletic and academic careers at the University of Tennessee! I am so happy to become a part of this amazing family. Go Vols!"

IHSA SPRINT CHAMP NATALIE UNGARETTI VERBALLY COMMITS TO TENNESSEE

CS ranking as of verbal: #95 Nat, #3 IL

-----

Megan: "I am beyond excited to announce my verbal commitment to continue my academic and swimming careers at the University of Michigan in the class of 2023! I cannot thank my family, friends, teammates, and coaches enough for getting me to this point. I cannot wait to be a part of such an amazing team and school! Go blue!!"

OHSAA D1 RECORD-HOLDER MEGAN GLASS VERBALLY COMMITS TO MICHIGAN

CS ranking as of verbal: #42 Nat, #2 OH

-----
    UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Looks like SwimSwam's on the cusp of publishing their Class of 2019 NCAA Recruit Ranks (Top 20 Women & Men):

Any guesses as to where our 2019 Baby Bears will rank on this list, if at all...or should we just simply wait for the article before joining the heated discussion?

=====

For reference, here's CollegeSwimming's Top 50 list as of today (24 April 2018):

Rank - Name - Commitment - Hometown - Power Index

1 - Penny Oleksiak - n/a - Toronto, ON - 1.00
    1 - Isabel Ivey - University of California-Berkeley - Gainesville, FL - 1.00
    3 - Kayla Sanchez - n/a - Markham, ON - 1.03
    4 - Kate Douglass - University of Virginia - Pelham, NY - 1.08
    4 - Coleen Gillilan - University of Notre Dame - Fort Collins, CO - 1.08
    6 - Kelly Pash - University of Texas - Carmel, IN - 1.40
    6 - Zoie Hartman - University of Georgia - Danville, CA - 1.40
    8 - Katharine Berkoff - n/a - Missoula, MT - 1.73
    9 - Mary Smutny - University of Texas - Cutler Bay, FL - 1.74
    10 - Kaitlynn Sims - University of Michigan - Montgomery, TX - 1.76
    11 - Maddie Donohoe - University of Virginia - Annandale, VA - 1.81
    12 - Caitlin Brooks - University of Kentucky - Gainesville, FL - 1.90
    13 - Emily Weiss - Indiana University-Bloomington - Muncie, IN - 1.92
    14 - Ella Nelson - University of Virginia - Nashville, TN - 1.99
    15 - Ashlyn Fiorilli - n/a - McKinney, TX - 2.17
    16 - Beste Samanci - n/a - stanbul, TUR - 2.22
    17 - Alexandra Crisera - n/a - Manhattan Beach, CA - 2.81
    18 - Hannah Brunzell - n/a - Vasteras, SWE - 2.98
    19 - Miranda Heckman - University of Texas - Livermore, CA - 3.02
    20 - Kyla Leibel - n/a - Red Deer, AB - 3.20
    21 - Sarah Dimeco - n/a - Sammamish , WA - 3.31
    22 - Lindsay Looney - Arizona State University - Denison, TX - 3.48
    23 - Ashley McCauley - n/a - Raleigh, NC - 3.53
    24 - Chloe Clark - University of California-Berkeley - Granite Bay, CA - 3.56
    25 - Gillian Davey - n/a - Waukee, IA - 3.65
    26 - Rachel Klinker - University of California-Berkeley - Lexington, KY - 4.10
    27 - Kathleen Golding - University of Florida - Cooper City, FL - 4.21
    28 - Talia Bates - University of Florida - Gainesville, FL - 4.22
    29 - Caroline Kulp - University of Virginia - Roanoke, VA - 4.24
    30 - Ayla Spitz - n/a - Newport Beach , CA - 4.47
    31 - Cora Dupre - University of Texas - Cincinnati, OH - 5.00
    32 - Gabby Dang - n/a - Bothell, WA - 5.09
    33 - Christiana Regenauer - n/a - Campbell Hall, NY - 5.26
    34 - Katie Mack - North Carolina State University - Ashburn, VA - 5.29
    35 - Olwyn Bartis - Duke University - Charlotte, NC - 5.51
    35 - Lexi Cuomo - University of Virginia - Clifton, VA - 5.51
    37 - Anna Kalandadze - n/a - Ardmore, PA - 5.92
    38 - Hanna Newby - n/a - Guthrie, OK - 5.93
    39 - Caroline Cooper - n/a - Orlando, FL - 5.94
    40 - Kaitlynn Wheeler - University of Kentucky - Loami, IL - 6.03
    41 - Heather MacCausland - North Carolina State University - Downingtown, PA - 6.06
    42 - Megan Glass - University of Michigan - Cincinnati, OH - 6.13
    43 - Abby Hay - University of Louisville - Mayfield Heights, OH - 6.20
    44 - Bridget Semenuk - n/a - Riverside, CT - 6.31
    45 - Ashley Turak - Indiana University-Bloomington - Farmington Hills, MI - 6.33
    46 - Danielle Carter - n/a - Mountain View, CA - 6.42
    47 - Ella Collins - University of Virginia - Austin, TX - 6.73
    48 - Jade Foelske - Arizona State University - Brookhaven, GA - 6.82
    49 - Averee Preble - n/a - Clovis, CA - 6.86
    50 - Kenna Haney - University of Tennessee - Raleigh, NC - 6.95

OBear073akaSMFan
    Not a 2019 recruit but looks like Cierra Runge is transferring from Wisconsin to ASU. Sorry if this was mentioned earlier but too lazy to search.

SU TRANSFER TRACKER
    Out
    In

https://swimswam.com/mac-frosh-of-the-year-carter-swift-heads-to-asu-after-emu-fallout/
    swimmer19
    OBear073akaSMFan said:

In
  • Cierra Runge from Wisconsin (two years of elig. left)

• Doesn't she only have one year left since she is transferring back into the PAC-12?

I could be completely wrong, though.
    OBear073akaSMFan
    swimmer19 said:

OBear073akaSMFan said:

In
  • Cierra Runge from Wisconsin (two years of elig. left)

• Doesn't she only have one year left since she is transferring back into the PAC-12?

I could be completely wrong, though.
    According to one of the comments on swimswam you might be right!
    Quote:

KLORN8D

I've heard Cierra runge won't swim college. Even if she does I believe she will only get one year of eligibility since it is her second transfer

UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Looks like SwimSwam's on the cusp of publishing their Class of 2019 NCAA Recruit Ranks (Top 20 Women & Men):

Have to run, so if someone can flesh out the details from SwimSwam's article, would be massively appreciated, cheers! Go Bears!

------

TOP 20 NCAA SWIMMING RECRUITS IN THE GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 2019

#1 recruit: Isabel Ivey (Cal commit)

TOP 10 SWIMMERS FROM THE CLASS OF 2019

1. Isabel Ivey Gator Swim Club F.W. Buchholz High School Gainesville, Florida **Verbally Committed to Cal**

Best Times: 200 free 1:43.64, 100 free 47.88, 50 free 22.43, 200 IM 1:55.77, 100 back 52.27, 100 fly 52.61, 200 fly 1:56.48, 100 breast 1:00.99, 400 IM 4:12.08

Ivey is the definition of do-everything star she is among the best in her class at all four strokes. Her 200 free time from Winter Juniors would have made the NCAA A final, and she's already in scoring territory in the 100 free and 200 IM. Whatever events Ivey ultimately specializes in, she should be a 4-5 relay factor in the NCAA post-season and has the stroke versatility to save a medley relay in several different ways.

12. Chloe Clark Sierra Marlins Swim Team Granite Bay High School Granite Bay, CA **Verbally Committed to Cal**

Best Times: 200 IM 1:57.32, 400 IM 4:13.94, 100 back 53.23, 200 back 1:56.79, 50 free 22.65, 100 free 49.27

Clark is a very good IMer and backstroker with enough sprint free talent to round out a full college conference meet lineup. The downside is that most of her best times come from 2016, and she's been a bit off her mark since. Still, she's one of the best IM prospects in this class and a high-upside pickup if a college coach can return her to form.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

• Rachel Klinker (Lexington Dolphins / Tates Creek Senior High School / Lexington, KY) great at the 200 (1:46.0) but hasn't yet put that kind of performance together in adjacent events. (She's 49.9 in the 100 and 4:46 in the 500). Good miler, very good 200 flyer (1:57.9). **Verbally Committed to Cal**

TOP TIMES IN THE CLASS OF 2019

100 Free - Isabel Ivey - 47.88
    200 Free - Isabel Ivey - 1:43.64
    200 IM - Isabel Ivey - 1:55.77

------
    UrsusArctosCalifornicus

bearz012 said:

Thought I'd do a quick recap of all the recruits and their progressions (based on rankings on CS) All current rankings are as of March 30, 2018.

CAL
    - Chloe Clark: 1/24/18 - #20 Nat, #4 CA --> #24 Nat, #4 CA
    - Isabel Ivey: 1/28/18 - #1 Nat, #1 FL --> #1 Nat, #1 FL

VIRGINIA
    - Maddie Donohoe: 2/19/18 - #10 Nat, #1 VA --> #11 Nat, #1 VA
    - Ella Nelson: 2/24/18 - #13 Nat, #1 TN --> #13 Nat, #1 TN
    - Kate Douglass: 2/27/18 - #4 Nat, #1 NY --> #4 Nat, #1 NY
    - Lexi Cuomo: 2/28/18 - #36 Nat, #4 VA --> #34 Nat, #4 VA
    - Katie Cronin: 3/16/18 - #126 Nat, #13 FL --> #125 Nat, #11 FL
    - Caroline Kulp: 3/30/18 - #28 Nat, #2 VA --> #29 Nat, #2 VA

TEXAS
    - Mary Smutny: 2/14/18 - #8 Nat, #2 FL --> #9 Nat, #2 FL
    - Miranda Heckman: 3/4/18 - #19 Nat, #3 CA --> #19 Nat, #3 CA
    - Cora Dupre: 3/4/18 - #27 Nat, #1 OH --> #31 Nat, #1 OH
    - Kelly Pash: 3/5/18 - #7 Nat, #1 IN --> #6 Nat, #1 IN

KENTUCKY
    - Caitlin Brooks: 1/16/18 - #12 Nat, #3 FL --> #12 Nat, #3 FL
    - Kaitlynn Wheeler: 2/8/18 - #40 Nat, #1 IL --> #44 Nat, #1 IL
    - Lauren Poole: 3/6/18 - #58 Nat, #1 MD --> #61 Nat, #1 MD
    - Tori McCullough: 4/7/18 - #77 Nat, #2 MD --> #77 Nat, #2 MD

FLORIDA
    - Talia Bates: 12/16/17 - #29 Nat, #5 FL --> #27 Nat, #5 FL
    - Kathleen Golding: 12/16/17 - #27 Nat, #4 FL --> #26 Nat, #4 FL
    - Allie Piccirillo: 4/7/18 - #58 Nat, #2 KY --> #59 Nat, #2 KY

NC STATE
    - Maddy Flickinger: 3/18/18 - #80 Nat, #4 NC --> #82 Nat, #4 NC
    - Heather MacCausland: 3/24/18 - #40 Nat, #2 PA --> #39 Nat, #2 PA
    - Katie Mack: 3/25/18 - #31 Nat, #3 VA --> #33 Nat, #3 VA

INDIANA
    - Emily Weiss: 7/1/17--> #13 Nat, #1 IN --> #16 Nat, #2 IN
    - Ashley Turak: 3/26/18 - #42 Nat, #1 MI --> #43 Nat, #1 MI

ARIZONA STATE
    - Riley Lexvold: 2/17/18 - #45 Nat, #6 CA --> #53 Nat, #8 CA
    - Claire Nguyen: 2/23/18 - #86 Nat, #5 VA --> #92 Nat, #5 VA

MISSOURI
    - Amy Feddersen: 4/5/18 --> #55 Nat, #2 IA --> #56 Nat, #2 IA

NOTRE DAME
    - Coleen Gillilan: 3/6/18 - #5 Nat, #1 CO --> #4 Nat, #1 CO

DUKE
    - Olwyn Bartis: 3/24/18 - #33 Nat, #2 NC --> #34 Nat, #2 NC

UNC
    - Amy Dragelin: 2/25/18 - #83 Nat, #5 NC --> #83 Nat, #5 NC

Thought it might be interesting to compare the top 2019 verbals by school at this point, SwimSwam's metrics v. CollegeSwimming's (I'd tend to put more faith in SwimSwam's in spite of, or perhaps because of, their relative subjectivity).

@bearz012 - do feel very welcome to update your excellent breakdown with a combined SS-CS listing down the road, if you deem it useful or relevant...cheers!

VIRGINIA
    - #2 Kate Douglass (NY)
    - #8 Ella Nelson (TN)
    - #11 Maddie Donohoe (VA)
    - #19 Lexi Cuomo (VA)

CAL
    - #1 Isabel Ivey (FL)
    - #12 Chloe Clark (CA)
    - #HM Rachel Klinker (KY)

TEXAS
    - #10 Kelly Pash (IN)
    - #16 Mary Smutny (FL)
    - #17 Miranda Heckman (CA)

INDIANA
    - #4 Emily Weiss (IN)

NOTRE DAME
    - #5 Coleen Gillilan (CO)

GEORGIA
    - #6 Zoie Hartman (CA)

KENTUCKY
    - #9 Caitlin Brooks (FL)

FLORIDA
    - #13 Talia Bates (FL)

MICHIGAN
    - #18 Kaitlynn Sims (TX)

-----

Some SwimSwam reader comments on our 2019 Baby Bears (& prospects ):

BOBO GIGI: "I think that Isabel Ivey has everything in store to make the 2020 olympic team, at least in the 4X200 free relay. Her 200 IM could become huge too. Katharine Berkoff is part of that great generation of US junior backstrokers with Regan Smith, Alex Walsh, Isabelle Stadden or Phoebe Bacon."

HSWIMMER: "Ivey reminds me of Melanie Margalis with her range of events."

RACHEL: "While Ivey has stalled in some of her major events especially her long course events, she has had some great breakthroughs is some of her other events, (200 IM, 100 breast)"

JIMBO: "Kate Douglass is a relay godsend. Ivey is the individual/8 free relay godsend"

FOREIGN EMBASSY: "Would love to see Berkoff continue the backstroke legacy at Cal"

-----

Here are the currently uncommitted Top 20 recruits from that SS article - all of these names have already been referenced on these pages (or thru PM) as potential targets or prospects...

3. Katharine Berkoff Missoula Aquatic Club Hellgate High School Missoula, MT

Best Times: 100 back 51.93, 200 back 1:51.40, 200 free 1:46.81, 200 IM 1:59.71, 100 free 49.18, 50 free 22.99, 100 fly 54.97

We noted that this is a relatively weak backstroke class, but Berkoff is clearly the exception. She's a faster two-distance backstroker than Beata Nelson (51.6/1:55.6) or Kathleen Baker (51.5/1:54.3) were as high schoolers, and her value skyrockets because there is maybe only one other comparable backstroker in the entire class. Berkoff is the daughter of two-time Olympic gold medalist David Berkoff, but she's going to be getting offers based on a lot more than her last name. Berkoff is also on a rapid improvement curve, dropping from 53.8 to 51.9 in the 100 back and 1:55.7 to 1:51.4 in the 200 back between December 2016 and now.

7. Alexandra Crisera Beach Cities Swimming Mira Costa High School Manhattan Beach, CA

Best Times: 100 free 48.87, 50 free 22.43, 200 free 1:47.09, 100 back 53.50, 200 back 1:54.44, 200 IM 2:00.91

Crisera doesn't yet have an NCAA scoring time, but she's got big talent in a wide range of events. Her 50 through 200 free make her a key relay pickup; in fact, her 50 and 100 free rival some of the best in the class. Crisera has also improved her 200 back a lot over her junior year, and her event to watch might be the 200 IM, where she improved from 2:04.0 to 2:00.9 over the year 2017.

14. Caroline Cooper Highlander Aquatic Club Winter Park High School Orlando, FL

Best Times: 200 fly 1:56.03, 100 fly 53.99

Cooper is the best 200 flyer in the class, but doesn't have a lot of complementary speed in other events. Her 200 is only seven tenths out of NCAA scoring range, though, and she's on a rocketship of improvement: Her 200 dropped from 2:01.8 in 2016 to 1:58.9 in 2017 to 1:56.0 already in 2018, and she's dropped more than a second in her 100 at the same time. That insane improvement curve bumps her up a bit in our rankings, especially when we've seen diamond-in-the-rough flyers like Kelsi Worrell and Sarah Gibson excel in recent years.

15. Ashley McCauley Marlins of Raleigh Leesville Road High School Raleigh, NC

Best Times: 200 breast 2:09.54, 100 breast 1:01.01, 200 IM 2:00.46, 400 IM 4:16.11

McCauley is a very good breaststroker who gets crowded out in our field of great breaststrokers. She dropped almost two seconds in her 200 between Winter Juniors in 2016 and 2017. She's also an outstanding long course swimmer, dropping from 2:32 to 2:29 in the 200 last summer.

20. Ayla Spitz Irvine Novaquatics Newport Harbor High School Newport Beach, CA

Best Times: 200 IM 1:58.68, 100 back 53.46, 200 back 1:57.27, 200 free 1:46.41, 100 free 49.29

Spitz finds herself on this list after a breakout winter of 2017. She had plateaued in her 200 IM since 2015, but blasted from a 2:03 to a 1:58 in December. In that same month, she cut from a 2:01 to a 1:57 in the 200 back, and she's also nearly dropped two seconds off her 200 free over the last year. Spitz, too, still has her high school championship season to come this spring.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

• Sarah Dimeco (Issaquah Swim Team / Skyline High School / Sammamish, WA) an excellent mile (16:19) and a good 200/500 free (1:48/4:44), Dimeco is hurt by the NCAA's emphasis on sprinters. Her 200 fly and 400 IM are also very good, and it wouldn't be surprising to see her become the unranked star of this class.
    • Gabby Dang (Wave Aquatics / North Creek High School / Bothell, WA) one of the class's best butterflyers at 52.7, plus 22.9/49.8 speed in free. A swimmer built for NCAA impact.

-----

Last but not least, some info & stats for that other very talented 2019 recruit (besides Izzie) who I had championed from Day 1 (alright, maybe only a couple of years ago lol), "hoo" drank the UVa koolaid & bought into the DeSorbo Effect instead:

2. Kate Douglass Chelsea Piers Aquatic Club Pelham Memorial High School Pelham, NY **Verbally Committed to Virginia**

Best Times: 50 free 22.04, 100 free 48.54, 100 breast 1:00.26, 200 breast 2:10.59, 200 IM 1:58.12, 100 fly 53.97, 400 IM 4:16.94, 100 back 55.72, 200 free 1:48.10

Douglass is the best 50 freestyler we've ranked since Abbey Weitzeil. She's already in line to have immense NCAA impact, both individually and on relays. She's also hyper-versatile, and it wouldn't be surprising to see her develop in free, breast or fly. The only downside here is that Douglass hasn't had a great junior year, plateauing so far in her best events. On the other hand, her fly has improved this year and she had a great long course season in 2017, so she might be on the cusp of another long course breakout.

Kate Douglass is the fastest 50 freestyler we've ranked since the historic Class of 2015 (Ledecky/Weitzeil/Baker/McLaughlin/Bilquist/Eastin/King) and sits at the exact same time that Class of 2014 star Simone Manuel was when we ranked her #1 back in the summer of '13.

-----
    bearz012

Thanks to UAC for updating the board as I was busy this morning! I just wanted to do a quick comparison of the CS rankings and the SwimSwam rankings. Some things to note - SwimSwam devalues the distancers, which is probably why Maddie Donohoe doesn't crack the top 10, and Miranda Heckman and Kaitlynn Sims are in the bottom of the top 20. I think we've discussed all of these swimmers (we've briefly talked about Caroline Cooper), though many of the recruits added did surprise me (Ayla Spitz is certainly on the rise, but I would've put Lindsay Looney or Ashlyn Fiorilli on the list). I also think Ashley McCauley is a bit overranked, as her 200 breast is her best event by far, maybe I'd give her an HM spot.

CS Rankings (removed internationals).................SwimSwam Rankings
    1. Isabel Ivey..............................................................1. Isabel Ivey
    2. Kate Douglass.......................................................2. Kate Douglass
    2. Coleen Gillilan...................................................... 3. Katharine Berkoff
    4. Kelly Pash ............................................................4. Emily Weiss
    4. Zoie Hartman....................................................... 5. Coleen Gillilan
    6. Katharine Berkoff...................................................6. Zoie Hartman
    7. Mary Smutny....................................................... 7. Alexandra Crisera
    8. Kaitlynn Sims........................................................8. Ella Nelson
    9. Maddie Donohoe...................................................9. Caitlin Brooks
    10. Caitlin Brooks......................................................10. Kelly Pash
    11. Emily Weiss.........................................................11. Maddie Donohoe
    12. Ella Nelson..........................................................12. Chloe Clark
    13. Ashlyn Fiorilli.......................................................13. Talia Bates
    14. Alexandra Crisera...............................................14. Caroline Cooper
    15. Miranda Heckman..............................................15. Ashley McCauley
    16. Sarah Dimeco.....................................................16. Mary Smutny
    17. Lindsay Looney...................................................17. Miranda Heckman
    18. Ashley McCauley................................................18. Kaitlynn Sims
    19. Chloe Clark.........................................................19. Lexi Cuomo
    20. Gillian Davey.......................................................20. Ayla Spitz
    21. Rachel Klinker.....................................................HM. Sarah Dimeco
    22. Kathleen Golding................................................HM. Rachel Klinker
    23. Talia Bates..........................................................HM. Gabby Dang

Looks like SwimSwam did bump up quite a few sprinters: Gabby Dang, Ayla Spitz, Talia Bates.
    UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Cheers for compiling the above comparison chart with an explanation of SwimSwam's rankings criteria (good job also with removing internationals since they aren't factored in SwimSwam's list anyway). Does make for some food for thought...

Extrapolating from Jared's reply in the article( to the comment that "Kelly Pash is underrated"), seems like SwimSwam's ranking can be further subdivided into several sub-tiers...possibly #1-#6, #7-#11, #12-#17, #18-HM?

------

• UPDATES =>
    JARED ANDERSON said:

While Isabel Ivey's class-leading 200 IM is one of the best times we've seen in years, the rest of the class doesn't have a lot of huge IM prowess, especially not in the 400.
    TEA REX said:

Isabel Ivey could be the best NCAA swimming prospect since Natalie Coughlin. She specializes in all and I mean ALL events that are useful to build relays. And man is she fast, especially underwater.

------

swimmer19 said:

Has there been an Alex Walsh sighting yet? Don't think she was in Chula Vista a few weeks prior for the National Team training camp either, so should her presence be expected in Colo Springs?

Late arrival @ the OTC...spotted competing in a cannonball diving contest today...all I can say is, good thing Alex's swimming > her cannonballing...

------
    UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Looking back at the past few recruiting classes, here are several of the top recruits who took an official Sept. visit to Cal, but subsequently committed to LSJU a few weeks later, after their official trip to the Farm ~sob~:
    • 2015 -> #6 Ella Eastin
    • 2016 -> #6 Katie Drabot
    • 2017 -> #10 Grace Zhao, #12 Ashley Volpenhein, #64 Katie Glavinovich
    • 2018 -> #4 Morgan Tankersley

Was (wishfully?) thinking/hoping that the recent significant changes in NCAA recruiting rules may actually work in our favour, at the Furd's expense...see the following SwimSwam comments:

ACADEMIC said:

Stanford does a "pre admit" review of student athletes to see if the admission's office thinks they will be able to get in. They will not do a pre admit review until after the swimmer's junior year when all junior year grades are final. Under the new rules, swimmers will now have to wait a full year to know if they get in and what kind of money they will get, where in the past it was only a few months. Kids will have to give up offers at other schools (or ask them to wait) in order to wait on an admission decision from Stanford. Stanford may change their policy based on the new rules, but it is still in place for now.
    SWIMPARENT said:

Stanford admissions does not currently allow for early offers for swimmers. They want multiple test scores and junior year grades. Plenty of academically qualified kids were offered spots and scholarships on other teams and had to make decisions and did not want to wait on Stanford.
    BRADEN KEITH said:

as was discussed in the women's post, Stanford, in essence, as they're structured now, can't get real verbal commits from juniors. I suspect they'll try and figure something out going forward, but for now, it's in essence impossible for them to ensure kids of admission early enough to get commitments before the end of the junior year.

The above assessments appear to be relatively on fleek judging from recent historical data... Here are the approx dates when the first furdette recruits in their respective HS classes had announced their verbals - i.e. generally not until 1 July of their junior year, or only after 3 years of HS grades were available for review likely followed by a subsequent offer (well Ledecky was a mite earlier, but guess an exception could always be made for an exceptional student & athlete!):

• 2014 -> 1 July 2013 (#2 Janet Hu)
    • 2015 -> 15 May 2014 (#1 Ledecky)
    • 2016 -> 10 July 2015 (#14 Megan Byrnes)
    • 2017 -> 9 Oct 2016 (#4 Brooke Forde + #8 Hannah Kukurugya + #10 Grace Zhao + #12 Ashley Volpenhein)
    • 2018 -> 3 July 2017 (#3 Zoe Bartel + #9 Allie Raab + #27 Anya Goeders)
    • 2019 -> *NONE* as of 26 Apr 2018

With the unprecedented wave of extremely early commitments this year, most of the top 2019 recruits have already verballed elsewhere, leaving relatively slim(mer) pickings for a programme formerly associated with recruiting monster classes after classes (Furd).

On top of this, now that HS juniors can take official visits starting 1 Sept, there could conceivably be a flood of verbal commitments from the 2020 class as soon as this autumn...Alex Walsh, Regan Smith, Phoebe Bacon, Isabelle Stadden, Olivia Bray, Lillie Nordmann, Ella Ristic are some names which spring prominently to mind!

The question on my mind is - how quickly will TPTB @ LSJU respond by adopting revisions to their school admissions policies, in order to adapt to this rapidly-changing recruiting scenery?

Or as BearDevil had suggested, perhaps chances are quite low for such an image conscious institution to specifically change their admissions policies just to accommodate a non-revenue sport - even for such a successful one as their swim programme? No surprise here that I'd be cheering for this latter scenario...

Lest Bears stoop to smug complacency, a number of schools (yes, I'm looking at you - DeSorbo, Bowman, Holloway...amongst others ) have already seized the opportunity to take advantage of these sweeping changes, making early VERBAL offers that most likely have hard deadlines attached to them (note though that WRITTEN offers are still not permitted by the NCAA until starting 1 Aug of a recruit's senior year).

Associated recruiting strategies include launching a series of very visible social media campaigns which can be interpreted as aiming to undercut the traditional flow of recruits to programmes like Cal, LSJU etc., by encouraging & enticing these top targets to initiate communications and commit really early (under the guise of being helpful to recruits in their decision-making by simply explaining the new rules)...

Sorry, just being a mite cynical here due to what I'm perceiving as possibly a blatant emphasis on specific sections of the new ruling, i.e.

https://instagr.am/p/BiHecOBBqF-

Judging by results thus far, these proactive/aggressive approaches appear to have made a massive impression with quite a number of recruits & their families, yielding very tangible results & rewards for the coaches involved. Something definitely to keep an eye on in the near future...

-------

• UPDATES => from SwimSwam's "TOP 20 NCAA SWIMMING RECRUITS IN THE BOYS HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 2019":
    US96452 said:

SWIMMERTX said:

Stanford requires three full years of high-school grades on the official high school transcript. Most schools around the U.S. finish out spring semester in the time from the week before Memorial Day weekend (like it does around my area) to the middle of June, depending on the start of the fall semester. Thus, it is only until the summer before senior year when Stanford will begin to review a prospective student-athlete's grades and determine whether or not the student-ath. will be likely to have admission granted.

UVA commits (heck, more like any public school commit) should undergo similar admissions requirements to that of, say, a regular student applying for admissions.

Keep in mind that Stanford is a private school, where as UVA is a state-operated school. Test scores should not impact early verbals, they are usually sent in along with the application to the university, unless you are an international and are taking the TOEFL test
    There are a few schools (Stanford, Cal, Texas-men) that seem to be able to attract the best domestic athletes year in and year out. They can stay within the US and fill in with foreign athletes if someone really special comes along. Most schools must recruit outside the US. They have a hard time landing landing game changing US talent.

It seems UVA has targeted domestic athletes and they're landing them. That's kind of what is scary. There has't been a prestigious academic school like a Cal or Stanford that could do that year in and year out on the east coast. They've all been out west. I could be wrong but I see UVA taking a Cal, Stanford, Texas (men) approach and staying mostly domestic.

GOBLUE said:

UVA is back, folks! They have a monstrous couple of classes coming up and for good reason! That is a very talented coaching staff that has proven themselves as some of the best of the best. Very exciting to see them bring it in the ACC these next 5 years.

-------
    swimmer1944
    Looks like UVA signed another "huge addition" to their women's team according to yesterday's firework post saying "speedkillz"
    swimmer19
    bearz012 said:

The first pro series stop is coming up in Austin (Jan. 11-14), and a bunch of our targets are swimming. It'll be a good look at how well they can perform in the long course pool, and take a closer look at some overlooked Texan swimmers. Two of our baby bears (Ema & Alicia) are also competing; take a look at the 2018 recruits board if you want to know what they're swimming)

Some prospects: Zoie Hartman, Regan Smith, Jade Hannah, Faith Knelson, Kayla Sanchez, Mary Smutny & Texas swimmers Kaitlynn Sims, Lindsay Looney, Ashlyn Fiorilli, Ella Collins, Emma Wheal, Natalie Whalen, Emma Stephenson, Sydney Stanford.
    Sydney Stanford -> Texas A&M

I'm so excited to announce my verbal commitment to swim for Texas A&M University! I'm so thankful for this opportunity and can't wait to be part of such an amazing team! Gig'em

bearz012

Another recruiting roundup, as there have been so many new commits since the last one I posted. The ranking before their name is the SwimSwam ranking. The rankings in the parenthesis are from CS, and the first ranking in the parenthesis is when they first committed, the second is their current. Also, I decided to forgo the state rankings, because those don't change much!) Without further ado, here are the classes as of April 28, 2018!

CAL
    - #1 Isabel Ivey: 1/28/18 (#1 Nat --> #1 Nat)
    - #12 Chloe Clark: 1/23/18 (#20 Nat --> #24 Nat)
    - HM Rachel Klinker: 4/21/18 (#26 Nat --> #26 Nat)
    - HM Sarah DiMeco: 4/28/18 (#21 Nat --> #21 Nat)

VIRGINIA
    - #2 Kate Douglass: 2/27/18 (#4 Nat --> #4 Nat)
    - #8 Ella Nelson: 2/24/18 (#13 Nat --> #14 Nat)
    - #11 Maddie Donohoe: 2/19/18 (#10 Nat --> #11 Nat)
    - #19 Lexi Cuomo: 2/28/18 (#36 Nat --> #35 Nat)
    - Caroline Kulp: 3/30/18 (#28 Nat --> #29 Nat)
    - Ella Collins: 4/9/18 (#47 Nat --> #47 Nat)
    - Katie Cronin: 3/16/18 (#126 Nat --> #128 Nat)

KENTUCKY
    - #9 Caitlin Brooks: 1/16/18 (#12 Nat --> #12 Nat)
    - Kaitlynn Wheeler: 2/8/18 (#40 Nat --> #40 Nat)
    - Lauren Poole: 3/6/18 (#58 Nat --> #64 Nat)
    - Tori McCullough: 4/7/18 (#77 Nat --> #79 Nat)
    - Emily Baeth: 4/9/18 (#206 Nat --> #207 Nat)

TEXAS
    - #10 Kelly Pash: 3/6/18 (#7 Nat --> #6 Nat)
    - #16 Mary Smutny: 2/14/18 (#8 Nat --> #9 Nat)
    - #17 Miranda Heckman: 3/4/18 (#19 Nat --> #19 Nat)
    - Cora Dupre: 3/4/18 (#27 Nat --> #31 Nat)

ARIZONA STATE
    - Lindsay Looney: 4/14/18 (#22 Nat --> #22 Nat)
    - Jade Foelske: 4/20/18 (#48 Nat --> #48 Nat)
    - Riley Lexvold: 2/17/18 (#45 Nat --> #53 Nat)
    - Claire Nguyen: 2/23/18 (#86 Nat --> #94 Nat)

NC STATE
    - Katie Mack: 3/25/18 (#31 Nat --> #34 Nat)
    - Heather MacCausland: 3/24/18 (#40 Nat --> #41 Nat)
    - Kay Foley: 4/26/18 (#82 Nat --> #82 Nat)
    - Maddy Flickinger: 3/18/18 (#80 Nat --> #84 Nat)

FLORIDA
    - #13 Talia Bates: 12/16/17 (#29 Nat --> #28 Nat)
    - Kathleen Golding: 12/16/17 (#27 Nat --> #27 Nat)
    - Allie Piccirillo: 4/7/18 (#58 Nat --> #60 Nat)

INDIANA
    - #4 Emily Weiss: 7/1/17 (#13 Nat --> #13 Nat)
    - Ashley Turak: 3/26/18 (#42 Nat --> #45 Nat)
    - Ryley Ober: 4/15/18 (#72 Nat --> #72 Nat)

UCLA
    - Lauryn Johnson: 4/8/18 (#88 Nat --> #91 Nat)
    - Sophia Kosturos: 4/11/18 (#176 Nat --> #177 Nat)
    - Lindsay Stenstrom: 2/19/18 (#388 Nat --> #389 Nat)

MICHIGAN
    - #18 Kaitlynn Sims: 4/3/18 (#10 Nat --> #10 Nat)
    - Megan Glass: 4/23/18 (#42 Nat --> #42 Nat)

TENNESSEE
    - Kenna Haney: 4/15/18 (#50 Nat --> #50 Nat)
    - Natalie Ungaretti: 4/23/18 (#95 Nat --> #95 Nat)

MINNESOTA
    - Jordan McGinty: 3/28/18 (#72 Nat --> #76 Nat)
    - Emma Lezer: 2/16/18 (#183 Nat --> #135 Nat)

MISSOURI
    - Amy Feddersen: 4/5/18 (#55 Nat --> #56 Nat)
    - Molly Winer: 4/27/18 (#188 Nat --> #188 Nat)

NOTRE DAME
    - #5 Coleen Gillilan: 3/6/18 (#4 Nat --> #4 Nat)

GEORGIA
    - #6 Zoie Hartman: 4/15/18 (#6 Nat --> #6 Nat)

DUKE
    - Olwyn Bartis: 3/24/18 (#33 Nat --> #35 Nat)

LOUISVILLE
    - Abby Hay: 4/18/18 (#43 Nat --> #43 Nat)

UNC
    - Amy Dragelin: 2/25/18 (#83 Nat --> #87 Nat)

TEXAS A&M
    - Sydney Stanford: 4/27/18 (#142 Nat --> #142 Nat)

OHIO STATE
    - Hannah Bach: 3/21/18 (#224 Nat --> #223 Nat)

Let me know if I missed any recruits (especially the lower-ranked ones that I or anyone else might not have posted on the board). With a quick glance, it looks like Virginia, Texas, and Cal have the strongest classes, while classes like Florida, Indiana, Kentucky, and Michigan have a heavy-hitter, with the other swimmers also being quite solid.
    bearz012

Kay: "I am beyond excited to announce my verbal commitment to swim and study at NC State University!!! Thank you to everyone who has helped me get here!!! GO PACK!!!"

NC STATE REELS IN ANOTHER VERBAL FOR 2023: VERSATILE KAY FOLEY JOINS THE FRAY

CS ranking as of verbal: #82 Nat, #4 IN

-----

Sydney: "I am beyond grateful and honored to announce my verbal commitment to swim at the University of Notre Dame. From the first time I stepped onto the campus, I knew it was the place for me. I know the balance between academics and athletics at Notre Dame will allow me to succeed. I can't wait to call this place my home. Go Irish!!"

NEPSAC D1 RECORD-HOLDER SYDNEY WINTERS MAKES VERBAL COMMITMENT TO NOTRE DAME

CS ranking as of verbal: #127 Nat, #2 MA

-----

Faith: "I am so excited to announce my verbal commitment to continue my athletic and academic career at NC State! Thank to everyone who has supported me and helped my get to this point! GO PACK!!!"

NC STATE EARNS VERBAL COMMITMENT FROM YNATS CHAMP FAITH HEFNER

CS ranking as of verbal: #155 Nat, #8 NC

-----

MICHIGAN LAKESHORE'S ELLE GIESLER VERBALLY COMMITS TO NC STATE

CS ranking as of verbal: #157 Nat, #4 MI

-----

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.