2019 Men's Swimming Recruiting

53,069 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bearz012
swimmer19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
17-YEAR-OLD JASON LOUSER SWIMS 4:23 400 IM AT METROPOLITAN SR. CHAMPS

Jason Louser, a Long Island Aquatic Club 17 year old, swam to victory in the men's 400 IM, posting a 4:26.97. Louser actually dropped a 4:23.29 in prelims, marking a best time by 4.01 seconds. He posted quick splits all the way around, coming in at 1:00.75, 1:08.76, 1:12.89, and 1:00.89 respectively.

---------------

Looks good for the future, and a new best time by 4 seconds!
swimmer19
swimmer19 said:

HONORABLE MENTIONS
Will Barao (Bluefish Swim Club / Hingham, MA) A very good mile and 1000 (15:08/9:02), but has a ways to go in the 500 (4:24). Another casualty of the NCAA format's undervaluing of distance swimmers.
Uh, guess I'm on a roll here with incorrectly guessing where these recruits will head..

Will Barao (2019) -> ND

"It is with humility and great excitement that I announce my verbal commitment to the University of Notre Dame. It is a privilege to further my education at such an esteemed university. I cannot wait to contribute to the success of the Fighting Irish in the pool while continuing to improve under Coach Litzinger, Coach Bell, and the entire Notre Dame coaching staff. I'd like to share my gratitude with my Family, Coach Chuck Batchelor, and all those who have supported me thus far on my journey. Go Irish!"

swimmer19
Andrew: "It's a dream come true to announce my commitment to continue my education and swim career at Stanford University! Thank you to my family, coaches, teammates, friends, dog and anyone else who has ever given me the opportunity to do what I love! #GoCard #FearTheTree"

CS ranking as of commit: (#39 Nat, #2 MA)

-----------------------------------

Sean: I am thrilled to announce my verbal commitment to swim and study at Stanford University. None of this would have been possible if it wasn't for my family, friends and coaches. Thank you for all the support! Go Card!

CS ranking as of commit: (#132 Nat, #15 CA)
bearz012

Recruiting trips have officially begun with Mizzou and Auburn...

https://instagr.am/p/BnOvT5vD75H
https://instagr.am/p/Bm_ZRGZjrEw
swimmer19
Notre Dame recruit weekend:

-----------------

Several commits as of late:

Joseph Gutierrez (Sandpipers of Nevada, #52 Nat, #2 NV) -> Mizzou, after visiting this past weekend:

https://instagr.am/p/BnRmY5RnXl2

And Andrew Rafalko (Carmel, #527 Nat, #13 IN) -> North Carolina:

https://instagr.am/p/BnZyPQfhwXC
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

2019 Baby Bear Bros visited over the weekend?

Calvin David, Jason Louser, Will Pelton

bearz012
bearz012 said:

Recruiting trips have officially begun with Mizzou and Auburn...

https://instagr.am/p/BnOvT5vD75H
https://instagr.am/p/Bm_ZRGZjrEw

bearz012 said:

South Carolina also had their official visit, with 2019 recruits & commits...

Back: Brett Champlin (2019 recruit), Luke Davis (2019 recruit), Tyler Babinec (2019 recruit), Thomas Hamlet (2019 recruit)
Front: Anne Tavierne (2019 USC), Emily Horomanski (2019 USC), Tegan Preston (2019 recruit), Janie Smith (2019 USC), Taylor Steele (2019 USC)
Tyler: "I'm so honoured to start the next chapter of life and announce my verbal commitment to Auburn University! When I went on my visit to Auburn, I didn't want to leave. The campus is beautiful, the facilities are state of the art, and the people here are amazing. I'm so excited to get the education I want while at the same time be engulfed in everything that is Auburn Swimming and Diving. Thank you to the coaches at Auburn for putting together something amazing, thank you to all my coaches throughout the years for putting me together, and thank you to my parents and friends for keeping me together. Here's to the new plains! WAR EAGLE!!!"

https://instagr.am/p/BnixpfvH2eJ
CS ranking as of verbal: #196 Nat, #8 OH
swimmer19
Donald Scott -> Michigan

"Excited to announce my verbal commitment to continue my academic and swimming career at the University of Michigan! Thank you to my Mom and Dad, team, and Coaches Mike, Sam and Jason for helping me along the way. Go Blue!"

CS ranking at time of verbal: (#274 Nat, #14 TX)
bearz012

Recruiting weekend at UT (9/16/18)...

https://instagr.am/p/BnyntgrhbTJ
Jake Foster (2019 UT), Carson Foster (2020 UT), Adam Chaney (2020 recruit)

Adam Chaney (2020 recruit), Michael Petrides (2019 recruit), Jake Foster (2019 UT), Peter Larson (2019 UT), Cole Crane (2019 UT), Paul Degrado (2019 UT), Ethan Harder (2019 UT), Caspar Corbeau (2019 UT), Carson Foster (2020 UT)
bearz012

Recruiting Weekend: 9/22/18 -

1. UVA

Konnar Klinksiek (#192 Nat, #9 TX), Jack Wright (#16 Nat, #2 PA), Henry Schutte (#69 Nat, #1 MI), Jack Walker (#14 Nat, #2 NC), Sean Conway (#18 Nat, #1 VA), Max Edwards (#153 Nat, #4 NC), Daniel Gyenis (#86 Nat, #6 VA)
swan

New verbal commit for 2019 class from So. Carolinan Adrien Laurencelle, a free sprinter. Appears to be an academic fit with interest from multiple Ivies, and Duke alogside strong swim programs like USC and Alabama.
He doesn't appear to be in the Collegeswimming data base, but his times are well off of Pac 12 scoring range.

http://thedanielislandnews.com/sports/be-swimming-standout-signs-university-california-berkeley
bearz012
https://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/519404/

CS Profile for Adrien
Polodad
Durden probably likes his length and frame.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
swan said:

New verbal commit for 2019 class from So. Carolinan Adrien Laurencelle, a free sprinter. Appears to be an academic fit with interest from multiple Ivies, and Duke alogside strong swim programs like USC and Alabama.
He doesn't appear to be in the Collegeswimming data base, but his times are well off of Pac 12 scoring range.

http://thedanielislandnews.com/sports/be-swimming-standout-signs-university-california-berkeley

Thank you for the find, swan - and welcome Addie!

As noted in the SwimSwam article below, Laurencelle is a multi-sport student-athlete who has only started focussing on swimming the past couple of years. His impressive time drops recently + physical attributes (height) does bode well for his upside...some ground to make up for before Addie gets within range of becoming a scoring contributor for Bears, but the promise is def there

---------

BE Swimmer, Addie Laurencelle Commits to The University of California!

September 27, 2018

Bishop England High School swimming standout Addie Laurencelle committed to the University of California, Berkeley over the weekend. If you're not familiar with the college swimming world and the Golden Bears' success, let Laurencelle put his decision in perspective.

"In the world of college swimming, California, Berkeley is the Duke of college basketball," he said. "I will swim for the best program in the country, and be coached by one of the best coaches in the world. Academically, it's right up there with Stanford. If you do well there, you will go far."

---------

CAL MEN PICK UP VERBAL COMMITMENT FROM FAST-RISING ADDIE LAURENCELLE

BY ANNE LEPESANT | October 01st, 2018

Addie Laurencelle, a transplant from Boston to Charleston, South Carolina, has announced his verbal commitment to the University of California, Berkeley. He will join a class of 2023 that has also received verbals form Calvin David, Jason Louser, and Will Pelton.

"I am extremely excited to announce my verbal commitment to the University of California-Berkeley. I cannot thank my family, friends and coaches enough for helping me get to this point! I am very excited to join the Cal family! #GOBEARS"

Laurencelle came seemingly out of nowhere to win the 50 free (21.19), 100 free (46.77) as a junior at Bishop England High School at the 2017 SCHSL 3A Championships last fall. He also anchored the winning 200 free relay, and runner-up 400 free relay. The previous year he'd finished 5th in the 50 (22.94) and 4th in the 100 (50.84).

Until his sophomore year of high school, when he decided to focus on swimming, Laurencelle competed in basketball, baseball, lacrosse, hockey and track and field. He explained to SwimSwam, "I've only been swimming year round for 2 whole years. This past long course season was my first and I qualified for summer Jrs in the 50 free and winter jrs in the 100 free."

Laurencelle swims year-round for South Carolina Swim Club. The 6'6" sprinter opened his 2018 LCM season in April with lifetime bests of 24.69 in the 50m free and 55.58 in the 100m free; he finished with 23.83 and 52.59, respectively. His best times in SCY are:
  • 50 free 21.06
  • 100 free 45.99
  • 200 free 1:42.67

---------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Preston Niayesh (#661 Nat, #80 CA) => Bears

"I am so thankful and blessed to announce that I have VERBALLY COMMITTED TO THE CAL MENS SWIMMING TEAM!!! This is a childhood dream come true for me, and I can't thank my family, coaches, and friends enough for encouraging me every step of the way to chase my dreams. I am so excited to join the Berkeley family, and I cannot wait to see what I can do as a Golden Bear! #GOBEARS"

waterbear
Let me provide a little background on Addie for everybody. OK, I will start this by saying that I'm a little biased as I've know the kid since he was born and been friends with his father Addie III for 24 years. Addie IV is a fantastic kid and comes from a great family. (oldest of 5)
When it comes to swimming he is pretty raw and has a huge upside. He has only been swimming club for two years and this was his first year swimming meters.
He is actually a native Californian and not Bostonian like the article implies. I think his mom is the Bostonian and his dad is a New Yorker. They moved to Boston a couple years after Addie was born and then to Charleston. They spent a couple years living on Nantucket and have been back in Charleston for a couple of years now. I' m giving you all this background to show that he hasn't had a lot of good competition, thus the rawness.
His love for CAL started last year when he took a trip to Berkeley for a CAL water polo camp. He's never played but wanted to try it out. He was in awe when he saw all the Olympic swimmers training each morning before the camp. He met Yuri that year but not Durden. He came back again this summer to the water polo camp and was able to meet all the swim coaches this time. His recruiting really only took off this August at the JR. Nationals in Irvine. He had an official visit to CAL Labor Day weekend, got an offer a week later and committed two weeks after that (Sept 21st) after visiting several schools in that short time span.
Durden is pretty fired up to have him and thinks he will be a contributor within a year. Thinks of him as a piece of clay that he can mold. He is a legit 6'6"-7" (I'm 6'4" and he towers over me) and probably still growing. Dad is 6'5" and mom is 6'.

Welcome to the CAL Family young Adrian!
swan
waterbear said:

Let me provide a little background on Addie for everybody. OK, I will start this by saying that I'm a little biased as I've know the kid since he was born and been friends with his father Addie III for 24 years. Addie IV is a fantastic kid and comes from a great family. (oldest of 5)
When it comes to swimming he is pretty raw and has a huge upside. He has only been swimming club for two years and this was his first year swimming meters.
He is actually a native Californian and not Bostonian like the article implies. I think his mom is the Bostonian and his dad is a New Yorker. They moved to Boston a couple years after Addie was born and then to Charleston. They spent a couple years living on Nantucket and have been back in Charleston for a couple of years now. I' m giving you all this background to show that he hasn't had a lot of good competition, thus the rawness.
His love for CAL started last year when he took a trip to Berkeley for a CAL water polo camp. He's never played but wanted to try it out. He was in awe when he saw all the Olympic swimmers training each morning before the camp. He met Yuri that year but not Durden. He came back again this summer to the water polo camp and was able to meet all the swim coaches this time. His recruiting really only took off this August at the JR. Nationals in Irvine. He had an official visit to CAL Labor Day weekend, got an offer a week later and committed two weeks after that (Sept 21st) after visiting several schools in that short time span.
Durden is pretty fired up to have him and thinks he will be a contributor within a year. Thinks of him as a piece of clay that he can mold. He is a legit 6'6"-7" (I'm 6'4" and he towers over me) and probably still growing. Dad is 6'5" and mom is 6'.

Welcome to the CAL Family young Adrian!

Greatly appreciate your insights into Adrian's recruitment. His late focus on swimming plus his large frame reminds me of his future teammate Nate Biondi. I certainly hope both Nate and Addie can develop into sprint contributors as we will soon be needing to replace juniors Pawel Sendyk and Mike Jensen. He sounds like a fine young man and I hope he embraces the Berkeley experience.
bearz012
bearz0 said:

Adam Chaney (2020 recruit), Michael Petrides (2019 recruit), Jake Foster (2019 UT), Peter Larson (2019 UT), Cole Crane (2019 UT), Paul Degrado (2019 UT), Ethan Harder (2019 UT), Caspar Corbeau (2019 UT), Carson Foster (2020 UT)

Michael Petrides (SwimSwam #18, #21 Nat, #1 HI) --> Cal!
  • Quote:

I chose the University of California-Berkeley because of its exceptional ability to allow athletes to strive for their full potential both in and out of the water! The team atmosphere and camaraderie is truly incomparable. From the first moment I stepped on campus, I knew it was the place for me. #GOBEARS
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
bearz012 said:

Michael Petrides (SwimSwam #18, #21 Nat, #1 HI) --> Cal!
  • Quote:

I chose the University of California-Berkeley because of its exceptional ability to allow athletes to strive for their full potential both in and out of the water! The team atmosphere and camaraderie is truly incomparable. From the first moment I stepped on campus, I knew it was the place for me. #GOBEARS

Cheers for the good news, bearz012 . Welcome to the Bear fam, Michael!

Just as a wee reminder, here are SwimSwam's writeups on Petrides:

------

#18 MICHAEL PETRIDES SENDS VERBAL COMMITMENT TO CAL

Michael Petrides, of the Kamehameha Swim Club in Hawaii, has verbally committed to the University of California-Berkeley. Petrides is the last of SwimSwam's boys HS class of 2019 top 20 rankings to announce a verbal NCAA commitment, and Cal's second top 20 verbal, joining #13 Jason Louser.

He will join his sister Maia Petrides in the Pac-12 - she's a sophomore at Washington State.

TOP TIMES
  • 100y free 44.36
  • 200y free 1:36.25
  • 500y free 4:20.07
  • 100y back 49.32
  • 200y back 1:48.24
  • 100y fly 49.44
  • 200y IM 1:48.73
A senior at the Mid Pacific Institute in Honolulu, Petrides won the 100 free and 200 IM last season at the 2018 Hawaii State Championships. He was also the lead-off leg for their 2nd place 200 free relay and 3rd place 400 free relay.

Petrides is best in the mid-distance freestyle range, so the 200 free and 500 free look to be his strongest events right now. He's also a fantastic 200 IM'er and is rangy enough to be a potential sprint free relay leg.

Stanford dominated the 500 free at Pac-12's last year, putting five men up in the A final and one in the B final while Cal put just two in the A and one in the B. With one more year before he gets to Cal, Petrides is already squarely in B final scoring range in the 500 as well as the 200 free.

Petrides is the fifth verbal commitment to Cal's incoming class of 2023, joining Addie Laurencelle, Calvin David, Jason Louser, and Will Pelton.

------

TOP 20 NCAA SWIMMING RECRUITS IN THE BOYS HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 2019

18. Michael Petrides Kamehameha Swim Club Mid Pacific Institute Honolulu, HI

Best Times: 200 free - 1:36.25, 100 free - 44.36, 500 free - 4:20.07, 1000 free - 9:13.13, 200 IM - 1:48.73, 400 IM - 3:55.42

Petrides is a rangy freestyler from Hawaii who could theoretically develop anywhere from the 100 to the mile. His 500 seems to be dropping fastest, from 4:26 in 2016 to 4:23 last year to 4:20.0 already this year.

------

Former mentions on this thread, and in the swim press:

swimmer19 said:

My list of an ideal commit list for 2019 (parentheses denote their replacement for major impact players):
Brendan Burns/Shane Blinkman (Seliskar/Thomas, latter (Blinkman ->Thomas) for 2fly)
Calvin David, plus Michael Petride or Will Barao (Norman)
Kimani Gregory (partial Thomas (for 1fly))
Will Pelton/Ethan Harder, backstroke
BRBear said:

With most of the top talent off the board, I'd say there are only a few remaining domestic recruits that currently don't look like a huge gamble of scholarship money and are worth pursuing (Tarvestad, Petrides).
swimmer19 said:

Word on the street is that UVA and 'SC are interested in Petrides, but UVA is nearing zero in terms of scholarships.

------

Swimming World Presents "Up & Comers: Michael Petrides"

09 December 2017, 04:00am

There are many honors available to young swimmers in the sport of swimming, but one of the greatest for young swimmers on the rise is being invited to the USA Swimming National Select Camp. That honor was recently bestowed on 16-year-old Michael Petrides of the Kamehameha Swim Club in Hawaii.

Petrides, a native of Honolulu, was one of 48 male athletes, 14-16 years of age, invited to attend the camp held at the Olympic Training Center (OTC) in Colorado Springs, Colo.

Says Coach Natalie Nation, "Petrides is a great competitor. He thrives when the level of competition is high and he is challenged." Petrides' accomplishments speak for himself. He won both the 200 and 500 yard freestyles at the 2017 Hawaii High School State Championships and took home the high-point award for his age group at the 2017 Santa Clara Futures Championships. He was also selected to represent Team Hawaii at the 2016 XVI Oceania Championships in Suva, Fiji.

Outside of the pool, Petrides loves to surf and is an All-American water polo player. He's even a little accident-prone, having broken 14 bones in the last two years! But even through adversity, Petrides made the most of it: one of his old casts is signed by three-time Olympian, seven-time Olympic gold medalist ( five gold, two silver) and world record holder Aaron Peirsol.

------

https://instagr.am/p/BoiH3yglEKO

------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

UrsusArctosCalifornicus said:

Preston Niayesh (#661 Nat, #80 CA) => Bears

06 October 2018, 12:42pm

Cal Golden Bears Pick Up In-State Breaststroker Preston Niayesh

NEW COMMIT: Visalia, Calif. native Preston Niayesh has announced his verbal commitment to stay in-state and swim for the University of California - Berkeley as a member of the class of 2023.

Niayesh swims year-round with Tule Nation Tritons and owns Winter Nationals cuts in both breaststroke events. He raced the 100 breast and 200 breast at Junior Nationals this summer after finishing fourth and ninth, respectively, in those events at Santa Clarita Speedo Sectionals. He swam two lifetime bests at Carlsbad Speedo Sectionals in March and also raced at Juniors West last winter.

Niayesh represented El Diamante High School at the CIF State Championships where he finished 18th in the 100 breast during both his sophomore and junior seasons. The USA Swimming Scholastic All-American has improved tremendously over the past two seasons, shaving of nearly three seconds from his 100 breast and seven from his 200.

His best times include:
  • 100 breast 56.92
  • 200 breast 2:06.99
  • 100 fly 51.76
  • 200 IM 1:58.61
Niayesh will add valuable breaststroke depth for the Golden Bears when he arrives on campus for the 2019-20 season following the graduation of NCAA runner-up and Pac-12 champion Connor Hoppe. Under head coach Dave Durden, Cal won last season's conference meet.

--------

https://instagr.am/p/BnsX0IOBIJj

https://instagr.am/p/BnP0tCiHVlC

--------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Oh, here's a pair of local visitors over the weekend, being chaperoned by clubmate (Santa Clara Swim Club) Sophie:

Max Saunders (#124 Nat, #13 CA) - 2019 (to Sophie's right) & Dylan Hawk (#60 Nat, #9 CA) - 2020

Max Saunders (#124 Nat, #13 CA at time of verbal) -> 'SC

"I am proud to announce my commitment to the University of Southern California. Thanks to all my friends, family, and Coaches who made this possible. I'm very excited to spend my next four years as a Trojan. Fight On!"
swimmer19

Oh, here's a pair of local visitors over the weekend, being chaperoned by clubmate (Santa Clara Swim Club) Sophie:

Max Saunders (#124 Nat, #13 CA) - 2019 (to Sophie's right) & Dylan Hawk (#60 Nat, #9 CA) - 2020

Max Saunders (#124 Nat, #13 CA at time of verbal) -> 'SC

"I am proud to announce my commitment to the University of Southern California. Thanks to all my friends, family, and Coaches who made this possible. I'm very excited to spend my next four years as a Trojan. Fight On!"

USC SECURES VERBAL FROM IN-STATE SPRINTER MAX SAUNDERS

According to a SS comment, never knew he was a legacy (apparently dad swam for 'SC).
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Colby Mefford (#153 Nat, #16 CA at time of commit) => Bears!

Welcome to Bear Territory, Colby!

-------

CIF STATE 100 BK RUNNER-UP COLBY MEFFORD TO JOIN BROTHER BRYCE AT CAL

Colby Mefford of the Sierra Marlins has sent a verbal commitment to the Cal Bears. A senior at Oak Ridge High School, Mefford will follow his brother Bryce, who is a sophomore at Cal and who finished 4th in the 200 back and 8th in the 200 free at NCAAs as a freshman.

As a junior with Oak Ridge last year, Colby Mefford was the 100 back runner-up at the 2018 CIF State Championships. He also placed 3rd in the 200 free, led off Oak Ridge's winning 200 medley relay, and led off their 8th place 200 free relay.

TOP TIMES
  • 100y free 45.64
  • 200y free 1:37.28
  • 50y back 22.80
  • 100y back 48.95
  • 200y back 1:47.80
  • 100y fly 49.10
  • 200y fly 1:49.88
A similar set of impact events to his brother, Mefford projects to be a backstroker and 200 freestyler at Cal.

Mefford would have made 2018 Pac-12 Champs C finals in the 200 free, both of the backstroke events, and the 200 fly. He will join a Cal backstroke group that is led by his brother, sophomore Daniel Carr, and junior Zheng Quah.

Mefford is the sixth 2023 verbal for Cal, along with #13 Jason Louser, #18 Michael Petrides, Addie Laurencelle, Calvin David, and Will Pelton.
bearz012
swimmer19 said:

However, an instate recruit I would really prefer to have would be Noah Brune, from MVN. He primarily swims distance, but I believe that recruiting him to Cal would help offset the loss from not being able to recruit 2018 USC commit Owen Kao from Irvine Novaquatics.
NOAH BRUNE OF MISSION VIEJO VERBALLY COMMITS TO HARVARD
bearz012

NC State has a really good class this year, probably the best they've ever had. No new visitors though:

Back: HM Hunter Tapp, #12 Noah Bowers, #5 Ross Dant
Middle: Owen Hanna (#480 Nat, #19 OH), Garrett Waite (#230 Nat, #3 WA), ? Zachary Cram (#145 Nat, #7 VA), HM Kimani Gregory, #14 Noah Henderson
Front: Bayne Bennett (diving)
swimmer19

NOTRE DAME LANDS HEAT DISTANCE SPECIALIST LUKE THORNBRUE FOR 2019

Luke: I am extremely excited to announce my commitment to continue my swimming and academic career at the University of Notre Dame! I'd like to thank all of my coaches, friends, and family that have gotten me to where I am today. Go Irish!

-----------------------------

ND coming through with a solid class and multiple key players, so congrats to them.

Luke is a teammate of #6-ranked 2020 recruit Ethan Heasley, so interesting to see if Heasley follows in his footsteps as they have similar event ranges.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
bearz012 said:

OBear073akaSMFan said:

Great get! (#13 Jason Louser) Did he visit during Jr day? Anyone know those who visited and have yet to sign?
Don't know if he visited during Junior Day, but everyone who has committed so far (Calvin David, Will Pelton, Jason Louser), have yet to sign (official recruiting dates haven't opened yet.)

Will Pelton: "It's officially official #GoBears #sesh"

---------

Jason Louser: "Officially ready for the next four year"

---------

Calvin David: "Officially a bear!"

---------

https://instagr.am/p/BqL7wqkhzkR
---------

swimmer19

Congrats are in order for Calvin David, as he has qualified for the 2020 Olympic Trials last night in the 800 free!

2018 U.S. WINTER NATIONALS: DAY 1 DISTANCE LIVE RECAP

MEN'S 800 FREESTYLE TIMED FINAL
  • 2020 Olympic Trial Cut: 8:12.99
[ol]
  • Jordan Wilimovsky, TSM, 7:56.88
  • Brennan Gravley, SAND, 8:09.95
  • Ross Dant, YSST, 8:10.99
  • [/ol]Jordan Wilimovsky of Team Santa Monica was the lone man to break eight minutes as he won easily in 7:56.88, his 3rd fastest swim ever only trailing his performances this summer at Pan Pacs and US Nationals
    18-year-old Brennan Gravley chopped four-tenths off his best time to take 2nd in 8:09.95, while 17-year-old Ross Dant (8:10.99) and 16-year-old Lleyton Plattel (8:12.02) also got under the Trials cut of 8:12.99.

In the second fastest heat, Dare Rose (8:12.36), Calvin David (8:12.56) and Gordon Mason (8:12.87) also got under the cut.

-------------------------------

Looks like Calvin has also qualified 6th for tonight's 400 free final, where he is a little over a second off the Trials cut in that event.

Go Bears!
    UrsusArctosCalifornicus
    swimmer19 said:

TOP 20 NCAA SWIMMING RECRUITS IN THE BOYS HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 2019

13. Jason Louser Long Island Aquatic Club Shoreham Wading River High School Shoreham, NY
    Best Times: 400 IM 3:47.70, 200 IM 1:48.20, 100 breast 55.07, 200 breast 1:59.32
    swimmer19 said:

Hey hey, welcome to Cal, Jason!

#13 JASON LOUSER ANNOUNCES HIS VERBAL COMMITMENT TO CAL FOR 2019-20

CS as of commit: (#46 Nat, #1 NY)

Would rate this post from our 2019 Baby Bear at least a 11 out of 10 haha...

---------

Jason Louser commented:

"This time one year ago, the announcer said "Jason Louser from Berkeley Aquatics" I think he was onto something {Bear emoji} "

---------
    solobear
    Any news on Andrei Minakov?
    Also local in the Bay, and his fly records are similar to Gianluca Urlando though different-looking stroke.
    OTOH, he seems to be under tight control by coaches in Russian Swimming Federation. Maybe not for Cal.
    swimmer19
    solobear said:

Any news on Andrei Minakov?
    Also local in the Bay, and his fly records are similar to Gianluca Urlando though different-looking stroke.
    OTOH, he seems to be under tight control by coaches in Russian Swimming Federation. Maybe not for Cal.

Andrei stopped by Gainesville this weekend, checking out the Gators, perhaps?

https://instagr.am/p/Bs01LYYFHrV

Also, pretty sure he's been reclassified to 2020, but I'm pretty sure I'm also very wrong.
    swan

I certainly am not getting any Cal recruiting vibe on Concord Terrapin stud Minakov and news of his visiting Florida may well be a clue into his recruitment objectives. Former Terrapin teammate Moldovian Alexei Sancov is a frosh at USC and I believe was never a serious consideration for Durden ("fit"?).
    A number of elite local prospects including current gator Max Rooney, Jonah Cooper, Sancov, Urlando etc have decided to compete away from Norcal, but that's to be expected in the recruiting/college game. As long as they are not headed to Austin, I wish them success in their respective programs.
    swimmer19
    swan said:

I certainly am not getting any Cal recruiting vibe on Concord Terrapin stud Minakov and news of his visiting Florida may well be a clue into his recruitment objectives. Former Terrapin teammate Moldovian Alexei Sancov is a frosh at USC and I believe was never a serious consideration for Durden ("fit"?).
    A number of elite local prospects including current gator Max Rooney, Jonah Cooper, Sancov, Urlando etc have decided to compete away from Norcal, but that's to be expected in the recruiting/college game. As long as they are not headed to Austin, I wish them success in their respective programs.

Keep in mind that Urlando was a Georgia legacy, which probably sealed the deal for him. Jonah Cooper's decision to swim for tOSU still doesn't make sense, especially given that frosh Chris Jhong and commit Calvin David are his club teammates, but agreed that we should keep top recruits away from Austin.

Gators have done very well with their international recruits (Szaranek, Switowski etc), and given that they're lacking on recruits with Dressel et al gone, they may have more to offer Minakov. We'd have to pay extra for Minakov as he is an international and only swimming in the states in the summer, unlike his buddy Sancov who now has a permanent resident card and is here to stay.

Durden probably budgeted more for the high-valued 2020 class than the 2019 class. Two top-20 and one HM, along with a legacy and a local so far for 2020 means that he probably has room for a few more swimmers who may be willing to not take as much money to swim under a national-title contending program that also happens to be one of the best universities in the states. The 2019 class is headlined with #13 Jason Louser, #18 Michael Petrides, and Calvin David, in addition to two legacies, an international and a few non-headliner guys.

Still waiting on decisions from #5 Ethan Dang, #9 Adam Chaney, and Dang's fellow statesman #25 Matthew King, all of whom visited Cal. Chaney also visited Texas and tOSU while Dang has visited Stanford and 'SC. Chaney and King are probably prioritized more than Dang is for their sprint abilities, since #18 commit Forrest Frazier is an exceptional breaststroker and flier, though Dang's sprints shouldn't be overlooked either.
    swan
    swimmer19 said:

swan said:

Keep in mind that Urlando was a Georgia legacy, which probably sealed the deal for him. Jonah Cooper's decision to swim for tOSU still doesn't make sense, especially given that frosh Chris Jhong and commit Calvin David are his club teammates, but agreed that we should keep top recruits away from Austin.

Gators have done very well with their international recruits (Szaranek, Switowski etc), and given that they're lacking on recruits with Dressel et al gone, they may have more to offer Minakov. We'd have to pay extra for Minakov as he is an international and only swimming in the states in the summer, unlike his buddy Sancov who now has a permanent resident card and is here to stay.

Durden probably budgeted more for the high-valued 2020 class than the 2019 class. Two top-20 and one HM, along with a legacy and a local so far for 2020 means that he probably has room for a few more swimmers who may be willing to not take as much money to swim under a national-title contending program that also happens to be one of the best universities in the states. The 2019 class is headlined with #13 Jason Louser, #18 Michael Petrides, and Calvin David, in addition to two legacies, an international and a few non-headliner guys.

Still waiting on decisions from #5 Ethan Dang, #9 Adam Chaney, and Dang's fellow statesman #25 Matthew King, all of whom visited Cal. Chaney also visited Texas and tOSU while Dang has visited Stanford and 'SC. Chaney and King are probably prioritized more than Dang is for their sprint abilities, since #18 commit Forrest Frazier is an exceptional breaststroker and flier, though Dang's sprints shouldn't be overlooked either.
    I thought we had a solid shot at Urlando since he is local and swam at the same club in Davis as Matt Whittle (and Matt assured me he was "in his ear" about Cal), but when I learned his father was a Dawg, his commitment sadly made great sense. He is a spectacular talent, but apparently was a bit of a "wildman" on his visit. He should enjoy Georgia.

While our "public" commit list for 2019 lacks pizzazz, if we consider Hugo Gonzalez as a new recruit, the picture brightens. If Gonzalez can recapture his early frosh competitive level, he would be a top 3 guy in the classes of 2018 or 2019.

With regard to Dang, he would be a nice luxury to have given the recent large time drops from commit Forrest Frazier. My wild speculation is that he is a Cardinal if he can gain admission, and a Trojan if he doesn't, but either squad would seem to have a greater stroke need and more dollars to offer compared to Cal.

I wasn't aware that Adam Cheney and Matt King, the two fastest free sprinters in the 2020 class, had visited Cal. I feared that Texas would have an edge with Cheney given that he is a teammate of the Foster boys with the Mason Manta Rays. Perhaps Eddie R. is running a bit low on recruiting cash after his massive hauls in 2017, 2018 and 2019. Needless to say, that either Cheney or King would be a fine addition to what is already an impressive class. But I still think we need a top diver from China...
    UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Sebastian Somerset (#183 Nat, #1 AB) => Bears?

As reported by College Swimming - any other sources for confirmation of this verbal??

SEBASTIAN SOMERSET '19 RECRUITING PROFILE

(I do approve of his background lol - UK -> AUS -> CAN ---> Cal?)

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.