Why No Talk About Baseball

6,038 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Baller4
Baller4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am curious, with the 1-5 start in conference, and the weak preseason schedule. Why is no one talking about what the hell is going on with baseball. Esquer predicted this team was going to do some great things this year. I guess if he was still at the helm, it would be so, or he thought the talent was good enough that the current staff would not screw it up.

Swept by OSU, and will face a tough UCLA team. I thought Neu was suppose to be the one who was going to lead this team to the promised land. Esquer is really do a job over at Stanford. I wonder why the Stanford way could not take here at Cal. All I have heard in before the season started was how Neu was so laid back. Then I see the media day and Stanford players were saying how accountability is something that they welcomed and seem to be seamless transition. Neu has taken credit for recruiting all these players, but yet to mention that players don't come for the recruiter, they come the one who is heading the program.

Esquer held these guys accountable last year, and seems like they did not like it. Well I guess beating up on Cal State Bakersfield is what they like.

Nue was not terrible at UOP, now let's see how long it take Garko to do better than Neu.

Hang with em!

I wonder when Dusty will take over?!!!!!
Baller4
Many mistakes on my post. I meant to say that Esquer is doing a job over at Stanford. Though they lost the first game of the Oregon series.

Neu was terrible over at UOP, watching the game on the PAC 12 app, I see Milano has inserted himself back in the program. Now that Esquer is gone, I guess he can stop trying to sabotage this program. As I recall, one of Esquer's players let the cat out of the bag on what Milano was doing in 2011 when they went to the CWS. That right there, is why this program will not be successful. Marquess has not inserted himself at all since he retired. Now that Shine is back on staff, after being fired from the minor league team he was managing before this gig.

I think Garko will do what Neu could not, turn UOP around.
HoopDreams
I went to Oregon State game but left early due to rain
Cal picked up nice win over UCLA
shepminnie
Esquer inherited a lot of talent at Stanford. Their ranking not due to him.
I see Oregon clobbered the Cardinal.
socaliganbear
Furd brought a fantastic team back. They were preseason ranked regardless of coach. He did not leave a similar team here. Explained.
socaliganbear
Nice series win.
Baller4
Neu inherited a good team as well, so how do you explain the bad start with the cupcake preseason schedule. Esquer tested this team last year. Esquer handed this team on a silver platter. They are now showing signs taking a big series over UCLA. But one series in a line of a tough Pac schedule does not make for success.

So Esquer inherited a good team, but so did Neu, and they are in two different spots in the Pac at this time. So you argument does not hold, and despite you wanting to take away from Esquer's accomplishments at Cal, and now at Stanford, is telling of a bitter Cal fan. I have seen both teams play this season. Last year this young team was always one inning away from winning more games than they did, however they showed some grit. You look at that Stanford team this year. They are playing a lot different from the way they did last year. The game on Friday night, they were down 6-0 after Beck gave up three jacks. They still were not counted out of that game, and you can see it in the dugout. Yet, this Cal team liked Neu because he so laid back. I get Cal athletes don't like to be tested.
socaliganbear
Baller4 said:

Neu inherited a good team as well, so how do you explain the bad start with the cupcake preseason schedule. Esquer tested this team last year. Esquer handed this team on a silver platter. They are now showing signs taking a big series over UCLA. But one series in a line of a tough Pac schedule does not make for success.

So Esquer inherited a good team, but so did Neu, and they are in two different spots in the Pac at this time. So you argument does not hold, and despite you wanting to take away from Esquer's accomplishments at Cal, and now at Stanford, is telling of a bitter Cal fan. I have seen both teams play this season. Last year this young team was always one inning away from winning more games than they did, however they showed some grit. You look at that Stanford team this year. They are playing a lot different from the way they did last year. The game on Friday night, they were down 6-0 after Beck gave up three jacks. They still were not counted out of that game, and you can see it in the dugout. Yet, this Cal team liked Neu because he so laid back. I get Cal athletes don't like to be tested.
If you're actually comparing the roster that Esquer left with the one he inherited, you're choosing not to see things as they are. Stanford was ranked in the top 10 team preseason. Where was Cal (the roster Esquer left behind) on the preseason list? Not on it. How are these two situations similar? They're not. What planet are you on?

The only one bitter is the Esquer fan who hangs around this board making arguments that make absolutely no sense.

Neu may turn out to suck, who knows. But you don't have to pretend like Esquer left as good a team as he inherited on the farm. He walked into a CWS contender on the farm, he DID NOT leave a CWS contender in Berkeley. To argue otherwise is bizarre and just blatantly false.
shepminnie
Amen,!!!
Baller4
socaliganbear said:

Baller4 said:

If you're actually comparing the roster that Esquer left with the one he inherited, you're choosing not to see things as they are. Stanford was ranked in the top 10 team preseason. Where was Cal (the roster Esquer left behind) on the preseason list? Not on it. How are these two situations similar? They're not. What planet are you on?

The only one bitter is the Esquer fan who hangs around this board making arguments that make absolutely no sense.

Neu may turn out to suck, who knows. But you don't have to pretend like Esquer left as good a team as he inherited on the farm. He walked into a CWS contender on the farm, he DID NOT leave a CWS contender in Berkeley. To argue otherwise is bizarre and just blatantly false.

I guess you did not watch any games last year. No upperclassman in the lineup and this year brings back everyone but 2 starters. Esquer challenged this team last year, playing teams like TCU. Texas Tech, and Long Beach State. He was grooming this team to make a run for this year. This team is projected to finish in the upper half of the Pac, can you say they are performing to that projection? I was a fan of Esquer and his time was a positive step for the program. Hard to be successful when you have the likes of Bob Milano trying to sabotage the program the whole time Esquer was at the helm.

As for the team Esquer inherited, I don't recall them being ranked as high as they are today, #2 in the nation last year, I could be wrong. But they are being coached up, and now Esquer has them @ #2 in the nation. At this level, you don't just throw a bucket of balls out there and say let's go get'em. You have to teach them something and get them better. That is what he is doing at Stanford. I guess when all you have to worry about is coaching, and not fundraising on top of recruiting and keeping Milano at bay, you can develop your team more without any distractions. How many years does this program have left until the money problems come back? I heard from a credible source, that administration could not guarantee three years to the incoming coach of this program.

As for Cal, yes they have a winning record, but can you honestly say that this team was challenged. Maybe if they would have put some top 25 teams on their schedule, they would be ranked. Sorry but Bakersfield and Brown don't cut it when it comes to recognition. If you watched this team last year, they were young and always had one inning that would put them out. That is what you call growing pains, but they did it against top 25 teams. This team should be in the top 4 of the conference right now. Conference is just starting, but this conference is a blood bath and if you don't get a jump early, you may not recover in time. This team is 3-6 right now, and they are facing Utah, who just took 2 out of 3 from Powerhouse OSU. Tough road ahead, that is for sure.

My point, Cal is a regional team this year, can you honestly say they are being coached up?
socaliganbear
Baller4 said:

socaliganbear said:

Baller4 said:

I guess you did not watch any games last year. No upperclassman in the lineup and this year brings back everyone but 2 starters. Esquer challenged this team last year, playing teams like TCU. Texas Tech, and Long Beach State. He was grooming this team to make a run for this year. This team is projected to finish in the upper half of the Pac, can you say they are performing to that projection? I was a fan of Esquer and his time was a positive step for the program. Hard to be successful when you have the likes of Bob Milano trying to sabotage the program the whole time Esquer was at the helm.

As for the team Esquer inherited, I don't recall them being ranked as high as they are today, #2 in the nation last year, I could be wrong. But they are being coached up, and now Esquer has them @ #2 in the nation. At this level, you don't just throw a bucket of balls out there and say let's go get'em. You have to teach them something and get them better. That is what he is doing at Stanford. I guess when all you have to worry about is coaching, and not fundraising on top of recruiting and keeping Milano at bay, you can develop your team more without any distractions. How many years does this program have left until the money problems come back? I heard from a credible source, that administration could not guarantee three years to the incoming coach of this program.

As for Cal, yes they have a winning record, but can you honestly say that this team was challenged. Maybe if they would have put some top 25 teams on their schedule, they would be ranked. Sorry but Bakersfield and Brown don't cut it when it comes to recognition. If you watched this team last year, they were young and always had one inning that would put them out. That is what you call growing pains, but they did it against top 25 teams. This team should be in the top 4 of the conference right now. Conference is just starting, but this conference is a blood bath and if you don't get a jump early, you may not recover in time. This team is 3-6 right now, and they are facing Utah, who just took 2 out of 3 from Powerhouse OSU. Tough road ahead, that is for sure.

My point, Cal is a regional team this year, can you honestly say they are being coached up?

This is not a thing anyone is saying. This narrative is in your head. The only argument being made here is your assertion that Neu inherited as good a team as Esquer did. That's just a flat out lie. By no metric are they similar. Hence why one team was ranked in the preseason top 10 and the other didn't make the list at all. Why? Because no one expected the team Esquer left do do anything. So you are right that Cal is a "regional" team this year. That's exactly what the media expected Esquer's team be when they didn't bother ranking them in the national rankings, preseason.
SFCALBear72
Baller4 said:

socaliganbear said:

Baller4 said:

So, who put together this year's schedule? Neu? Nope, don't think so. Esquer? Yes. What was he thinking? We did play Texas A&M, Baylor and La. Tech in Frisco Texas. Did he think Baylor and La. Tech would be ranked opponents coming into this season? A&M was #11 when we played them.
Baller4
SFCALBear72 said:

Baller4 said:

socaliganbear said:

Baller4 said:

So, who put together this year's schedule? Neu? Nope, don't think so. Esquer? Yes. What was he thinking? We did play Texas A&M, Baylor and La. Tech in Frisco Texas. Did he think Baylor and La. Tech would be ranked opponents coming into this season? A&M was #11 when we played them.
Esquer was gone before this schedule was put together. Esquer took the Stanford job in June. Neu was announced July 5th. So it was Neu's job to fill the pre season schedule, not Esquer's. Esquer would have never downgraded the competition in the preseason. Not his style, especially after the schedule he put together the year before.
SFCALBear72
Baller4 said:

SFCALBear72 said:

Baller4 said:

socaliganbear said:

Baller4 said:

Esquer was gone before this schedule was put together. Esquer took the Stanford job in June. Neu was announced July 5th. So it was Neu's job to fill the pre season schedule, not Esquer's. Esquer would have never downgraded the competition in the preseason. Not his style, especially after the schedule he put together the year before.
So, they wait until mid-summer to plan/finalize a preseason schedule which starts in February? Is that standard procedure in college baseball?
socaliganbear
Great series win.
Baller4
socaliganbear said:

Great series win.
Yes, right now the hitting is saving the pitching. However, how long is that going to last? Hitters will get into slumps and Utah walked Cal's big stick in crucial situations. He is not going to get anything good with RISP from everyone else in the Pac. Oregon State is looking pretty vulnerable right now losing a second series to U of A.
Baller4
SFCALBear72 said:

Baller4 said:

SFCALBear72 said:

Baller4 said:

socaliganbear said:

Baller4 said:

So, they wait until mid-summer to plan/finalize a preseason schedule which starts in February? Is that standard procedure in college baseball?
The Conference schedule is already set. The preseason schedule is not put together in advance, only if you set up a home and home series with a school for consecutive years. Same goes for recruiting, I heard Stanford stopped recruiting as Marquess knew he was leaving, and his staff was not secured spots to keep that going. So Neu may have started recruiting this team, but he did not finish it. Plus, players don't go for the recruiter, they go for the head coach.
Gkhoury2325
Coach Neu's Cal Baseball team has won three PAC 12 series in a row. They have won the first 2 games against Wash St. this weekend. They go for a sweep tonight. Very solid young team. A lot of grit with a lot of hitting.
OBear073akaSMFan
Gkhoury2325 said:

Coach Neu's Cal Baseball team has won three PAC 12 series in a row. They have won the first 2 games against Wash St. this weekend. They go for a sweep tonight. Very solid young team. A lot of grit with a lot of hitting.
Even though WSU is at the bottom of the Pac-12, 2 wins on the road by the Bears are terrific wins. No doubt the Bears have the hitting. It will be up to the pitchers to keep them in games.
socaliganbear
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Gkhoury2325 said:

Even though WSU is at the bottom of the Pac-12, 2 wins on the road by the Bears are terrific wins. No doubt the Bears have the hitting. It will be up to the pitchers to keep them in games.
Definitely a weakness right now. I'm hoping we can at least split the AZ schools as well as UW/SC.
Gkhoury2325
I love that the team is young. I wish we had an ace starter like Daulton Jefferies. I like Horn a lot and some of the others but we need more depth. Martinez has been a disappointment as a reliever. Hope he can get confidence and get right. Thank God Dodson is a stud as a closer
OBear073akaSMFan
Cal takes first 2 games vs Wash, winning today's game 5-2. Soph slugger Andrew Vaughn drove in first 3 runs including a 2 run blast in the 3rd Horn started slow but hung on to pitch 7 solid innings. Dusty Baker of course is there but wondering if he is also scouting Vaughn for next year. Cal goes for the sweep tomorrow. Cal's pac-12 record now stands at 9-8. Good crowd to help celebrate Cal Day
OBear073akaSMFan
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Cal takes first 2 games vs Wash, winning today's game 5-2. Soph slugger Andrew Vaughn drove in first 3 runs including a 2 run blast in the 3rd Horn started slow but hung on to pitch 7 solid innings. Dusty Baker of course is there but wondering if he is also scouting Vaughn for next year. Cal goes for the sweep tomorrow. Cal's pac-12 record now stands at 9-8. Good crowd to help celebrate Cal Day
Disappointing loss to Wash in the series finale 4-3. The Dawgs ties game in top of the ninth with a 2 run blast to send the game into X-tra innings. Wash scores a run in the top of the 10th and Cal threaten with 2 runners on in the bottom half but were stranded. Andrew Vaughn continue to shine going 3-4 with a homer and driving in all 3 runs. He also drew an intentional walk. Cal takes the series against a good Wash team.
socaliganbear
Sitting at 4th in the Pac with several hard series left. Hoping for wins at SC and at home against UA.
SFCALBear72
socaliganbear said:

Sitting at 4th in the Pac with several hard series left. Hoping for wins at SC and at home against UA.
The Pac-12 site has errors in the standings. We are actually 9-9 (not 10-8) and UW 9-6 (not 8-7). So, that puts us in a tie for 5th with ASU.
socaliganbear
SFCALBear72 said:

socaliganbear said:

The Pac-12 site has errors in the standings. We are actually 9-9 (not 10-8) and UW 9-6 (not 8-7). So, that puts us in a tie for 5th with ASU.

Ah good catch!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
Great start and always sweet beating the Furd - Go Bears!

Also ended #2 LSJU's 8-game winning streak...
OBear073akaSMFan
Back to back homers by Vaughn and Davis to tie the score in the 6th. Dobson drives in winning run in the 7th and pitches the final 2 innings for the save. Terrific win on the road against the #2 ranked Furds.
HoopDreams
UrsusArctosCalifornicus said:

Great start and always sweet beating the Furd - Go Bears!

love it.
Bear8995
Furd player didn't run out the ground ball at the end. Claims it hit his foot.

Perhaps it did. But we also should have had another run on a pitch that was called for a 2nd strike instead of ball 4 in the 7th. So everything evens out.

I will also say that it was comforting to see Esquer hasn't changed. Same strategies employed. So predictable. Guy on 1st, next guy bunts. Only their guy couldn't lay it down.

Glad Ladrech got the win. He pitched a heck of a game.

Go Bears!
Baller4
Bear8995 said:

Perhaps it did. But we also should have had another run on a pitch that was called for a 2nd strike instead of ball 4 in the 7th. So everything evens out.

I will also say that it was comforting to see Esquer hasn't changed. Same strategies employed. So predictable. Guy on 1st, next guy bunts. Only their guy couldn't lay it down.

Go Bears!
I guess you don't watch much baseball. It's called manufacturing a run. So I guess the player not laying it down was Esquer's fault? Didn't matter, I think that was Tawa who did not execute the bunt. He worked Cal's pitching staff in game 2 and 3. I thought Neu was the second coming of Milano. Well he is, he could not beat Esquer to win this series. I went to game 1, and 2 where Cal got spanked. I am still trying to figure out why Neu got all hot when Reyes who was talking trash in game one, got it back when he checked swing strike three. Reyes wanted to start something and Neu came out and complained.

I guess the different this year, Esquer is ranked #2 in the nation, and Cal is not even ranked. Esquer would have had this Cal team ranked in the top 25. You gotta love how Neu threw in the towel in game 2, when I have seen this team come back from 6 even 8 runs down.

SFCALBear72
Baller4 said:

Bear8995 said:

Go Bears!
I guess you don't watch much baseball. It's called manufacturing a run. So I guess the player not laying it down was Esquer's fault? Didn't matter, I think that was Tawa who did not execute the bunt. He worked Cal's pitching staff in game 2 and 3. I thought Neu was the second coming of Milano. Well he is, he could not beat Esquer to win this series. I went to game 1, and 2 where Cal got spanked. I am still trying to figure out why Neu got all hot when Reyes who was talking trash in game one, got it back when he checked swing strike three. Reyes wanted to start something and Neu came out and complained.

I guess the different this year, Esquer is ranked #2 in the nation, and Cal is not even ranked. Esquer would have had this Cal team ranked in the top 25. You gotta love how Neu threw in the towel in game 2, when I have seen this team come back from 6 even 8 runs down.

I was under the impression that Esquer left to coach at his alma mater because Marquess wanted him to be his successor. Right? If that's the case, why are you making it Esquer vs. Neu in all of your postings?
shepminnie
Esquer record at Cal

Seasons: 18
Conference winning seasons: 2
Championships: 0
Baller4
SFCALBear72 said:

Baller4 said:

Bear8995 said:

Go Bears!

I was under the impression that Esquer left to coach at his alma mater because Marquess wanted him to be his successor. Right? If that's the case, why are you making it Esquer vs. Neu in all of your postings?
I hated to see Esquer go, and know why he left. This was an opportunity of a lifetime for him, and happy that he is doing well at Stanford. You notice not many posts on baseball since he left, because all the haters finally got what they wanted. I know this is a good team, and had a chance to talk to Esquer on occasion about the struggles he was going through with this young team last year. Despite his Stanford background, he was never eyeing this job until it came to him. I am not sure if this is true, but I believe Stanford was looking elsewhere as they knew he was bleeding blue and gold since he came on board. Administration ran Hubbs out of here, and Milano and the fans made it easy for Esquer to leave. Esquer made this program competitive again. When Neu was hired, he was given and taking all the credit for the team he has now. He left to go take over UOP. If he was high on this team, he would have stayed. Esquer said it was going to be hard to coach this series because of all these players and what he went through with them. Neu thought he was going to step in and ride the wave.

As a former Cal player said in an interview this past week. "Esquer was the Marquess for Cal" however, when he left, all his former players were relishing at how laid back Neu is and how easier it is. You don't play at this level for laid back, you play to get to Omaha. Me personally, I have a hard time getting behind someone who left to do a crap job, then come back to ride the wave of the previous coaches work. That is sports. However, the team was not backed when Esquer was here, the majority of the posts on here were negative remarks against Esquer. Well, the majority wanted Esquer out, and crickets. You would figure there would be more backing now since no one liked Esquer. You don't see Milano sending out emails telling alumni not to support the progam now do you. Before I started this string, where was the baseball talk? The idiot I responded to still had to take his jab at Esquer, even after he took the series from us!!!!

Tough road ahead with USC and U of A. As I stated earlier, hitting is taking up the slack for pitching. Well, hitting did not come through this series, and we all see now about the pitching when it comes to a good hitting team!!!! Isn't the Neu's specialty??
Bear8995
I may be an Idiot but the fact that you have to resort to name calling says way more about you than me.

I had nothing against Esquer while he was here and rooted for him to succeed. That said, I don't think he was as successful as he could have been for whatever reason.

Gotta love that ignore feature.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.