cal softball stretch run

3,747 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HoopDreams
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cal lost 3 to #1 ucla
today's game was tied late, but then ucla closed out the game with a burst

next up is #2 oregon
Finals week, so last day of the school year is Friday, and then it's the dog days of summer

I'll be at Thursday's game
SFCALBear72
That was a tough series against UCLA. Interesting that Coach Ninemire used Kristin Cullen and Mikayla Coelho in the circle on Sunday.

Like Cal WBB, the Bears need a signature win to end the season. I was hoping it would come against the Bruins.
Not sure it will come against Oregon. We'll see. Put it all on the line, Bears.
59bear
HoopDreams said:

cal lost 3 to #1 ucla

next up is #2 oregon
Finals week, so last day of the school year is Friday, and then it's the dog days of summer

Facing UCLA and Oregon back to back is more death march than stretch run., especially if Dung is not in top form. I assume the work Cullen and Coelho got was due to the physical issues plaguing Kama that Scott alluded to. Next stop: probably a regional somewhere east of the Mississipi and south of the Mason-Dixon line.
HoopDreams
59bear said:

HoopDreams said:

cal lost 3 to #1 ucla

next up is #2 oregon

Facing UCLA and Oregon back to back is more death march than stretch run., especially if Dung is not in top form. I assume the work Cullen and Coelho got was due to the physical issues plaguing Kama that Scott alluded to. Next stop: probably a regional somewhere east of the Mississipi and south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Yeah, I think that's a good 'guess'
The ole one two punch OD UCLA and Oregon vs a less-than-100% Kama and the end of a long season.

Not a recipe for success, but they did do well vs UCLA in the last game (excluding 6th and 7th)
Schroeder71
Ducks enjoying softball in Berkeley! Are the Bears finished being competitive for the season? Cal is only employing the services of their third (Coelho)and fourth (Cullen)pitchers against the #2 team in the nation. It was obvious that Kamalani Dung hurt her right shoulder but evidently Zoe Conley has something wrong, too. She faced two batters last Sunday in relief against UCLA and yielded long homeruns to both of 'em...

Without the one-two punch of the Dung & Conley, Cal has zero chance to be competitive against nationally ranked opponents. It's funny but Bradie Fillmore and Kourtney Shaw were supposed to be bigtime pitching
recruits but they have never panned out. Chuck D'Arcy is a name pitching coach so hopefully he can bring in
some primetime pitching recruits like the BIG FIVE possess in the Pac Nine Conference. GO BEARS!
HoopDreams
3 run homer for ducks. Pretty much an avalanche at this point with 13 hits
HoopDreams
I spoke too soon. Back to back home runs for Oregon

HoopDreams
Need one more out to escape the inning
CalFanatic
Ninemire deserves all the praise and credit for her tenure at Cal. However, Call will never be a Super Regional or better team until we get some innovative, new blood at the helm. Our offense is stuck in 1999 and we can no longer recruit players simply because we are Cal. Way too many great programs.
HoopDreams
Last time for me in strawberry this season
Beautiful day
Bad game

Thanks to the team, especially the seniors
Schroeder71
This official game article states that Cal was without their two top pitchers today in the 13-0 home loss to Oregon. Is the dynamic duo out for the season and the postseason?

http://calbears.com/news/2018/5/10/softball-bears-blanked-by-ducks.aspx

Cal women's bball played in the NCAA Tournament this year without Kristine Anigwe. A couple of years ago, the men's bball did the same thing without Jabari Bird.

GO BEARS!
HoopDreams
Schroeder71 said:

This official game article states that Cal was without their two top pitchers today in the 13-0 home loss to Oregon. Is the dynamic duo out for the season and the postseason?

http://calbears.com/news/2018/5/10/softball-bears-blanked-by-ducks.aspx

Cal women's bball played in the NCAA Tournament this year without Kristine Anigwe. A couple of years ago, the men's bball did the same thing without Jabari Bird.

GO BEARS!
freshmen Mikayla Coelho started, was relieved by Kristin, but after being blasted for a bunch of hits and home runs, Mikayla was brought back for the last out of the game. We clearly had no healthy pitcher besides those two.
CalFanatic
Does anyone else see this huge, huge difference in teams offensively?

Oregon is aggressive, confident, powerful. They are not afraid to attack. They aren't constantly checking signals. These young ladies can HIT.
CalFanatic
2 errors on Oregon and a big PH RBI single- by Espalin- cuts the lead to 4-3 in the 5th.
CalFanatic
Oregon 8
Cal 3 F
HoopDreams
CalFanatic said:

Oregon is aggressive, confident, powerful. They are not afraid to attack. They aren't constantly checking signals. These young ladies can HIT.
i was surprised to see that oregon's players looked so much bigger/stronger
oregon's short stop was one of the best players i've seen
their pitcher also was big, and threw a fast ball much harder than our pitchers

of course lots of hitters look good when going up against an opponent's #3 and #4

today's game was better with zoe pitching (although I'm only going off the score and stats ...I didn't see the game)

not surprised oregon is #2 in the land
59bear
CalFanatic said:

Rood and Jackson are the only 2 Cal players who could start/play significant innings at any top 25 school. Cal's other hitters look very tentative and seem to be badly fooled on many pitches, ending up with awkward, off-balance swings.
CalFanatic
Kamalani Dung throws a beautiful game in the circle but unfortunately, it does not matter. When an offense can't put up even one run you can't win.

Hoping new leadership is on the way and with that, an actual hitting coach. Wishful thinking.

Congrats to all of the Seniors and good luck in the tournament.
Schroeder71
Kamalani Dung surprised me today with a complete game against #2 Oregon. She allowed two runs on a two out single in the 4th by Camuso. She allowed six singles (two infield) and zero extra base hits while striking out seven. Her only walk came around to score on her in the fourth.

The Ducks toyed with the Bears, 23-3, in the home sweep. Cal mustered 8 hits: three each by Rood & Coelho. Junior Rood and frosh Coelho were also the top two hitters last weekend vs #1 UCLA. Jazmyn Jackson went hitless in her final three home games of her career vs UO. Taurie Pogue scratched out one single as did Kobie Pettis in their respective swan songs in Berkeley.

Oregon State fared better against their cross-state rival, being outscored 13-6. The Beavers upset the Ducks in the middle game, 4-3. Cal never did defeat any of their top five Pac 9 conference foes (0-14) that are nationally ranked in the top nine softball teams.

Oregon State won 9 conference games as compared to Cal's 7 triumphs. HC Berg has the Beavers on an upward swing while HC Ninemire has her Bears fading into the sunset.

Good Luck in the NCAA Regional! GO BEARS!
SFCALBear72
Schroeder71 said:

Kamalani Dung surprised me today with a complete game against #2 Oregon. She allowed two runs on a two out single in the 4th by Camuso. She allowed six singles (two infield) and zero extra base hits while striking out seven. Her only walk came around to score on her in the fourth.

The Ducks toyed with the Bears, 23-3, in the home sweep. Cal mustered 8 hits: three each by Rood & Coelho. Junior Rood and frosh Coelho were also the top two hitters last weekend vs #1 UCLA. Jazmyn Jackson went hitless in her final three home games of her career vs UO. Taurie Pogue scratched out one single as did Kobie Pettis in their respective swan songs in Berkeley.

Oregon State fared better against their cross-state rival, being outscored 13-6. The Beavers upset the Ducks in the middle game, 4-3. Cal never did defeat any of their top five Pac 9 conference foes (0-14) that are nationally ranked in the top nine softball teams.

Oregon State won 9 conference games as compared to Cal's 7 triumphs. HC Berg has the Beavers on an upward swing while HC Ninemire has her Bears fading into the sunset.

Good Luck in the NCAA Regional! GO BEARS!
Upward swing? 28-26 (9-14) this season and 28-27 (9-15) in 2017. I guess we have different definitions of upward.

I'm sure there's plenty of room for you on their bandwagon.
OBear073akaSMFan
CalFanatic said:

yep. I pointed this out couple of years ago that the bears are always checking their signals on each pitch...even when the players are behind in their counts with 2 strikes. What can the coach call when a player have 2 strikes? Still amazing that pettis had some 7 homers as a freshmen. That was the high mark for her and this year none so far. The minimum the Bears need to do is replace their batting coach.
HoopDreams
Hitting has to improve but the Oregon pitchers are strong
I saw their stats before this series but don't remember the numbers specifically
SFCALBear72
HoopDreams said:

I saw their stats before this series but don't remember the numbers specifically
NCAA softball stats through May 10 show Oregon pitching staff second behind only Oklahoma with an ERA of 1.12. UW is third at 1.15.

The Ducks' top pitcher, Megan Kleist, who faced the Bears on Thursday, I believe, has an ERA of 0.91. Yikes!

Strong is right.
CalFanatic
Yes, Oregon has an incredible pitching staff. This doesn't negate overall poor hitting throughout the season. Hitters decline/get worse at Cal.

Look at Jazmyn Jackson's Freshman stats.

Look at Lindsay Rood's Freshman stats.

Pettis has declined from her FR/SO year. Pogue has too. We can't hit.
SFCALBear72
CalFanatic said:

Yes, Oregon has an incredible pitching staff. This doesn't negate overall poor hitting throughout the season. Hitters decline/get worse at Cal.

Look at Jazmyn Jackson's Freshman stats.

Look at Lindsay Rood's Freshman stats.

Pettis has declined from her FR/SO year. Pogue has too. We can't hit.
What's your recommendation? New leadership at the top? New hitting coach? Is it something the new AD needs to discuss with Coach Ninemire?

With new upgrades coming to the softball stadium, they'll be looking for increased revenues, ticket sales, etc. Winning and exciting games help those items a great deal.
CalFanatic
Are these the new upgrades i've been hearing since the 2005 season- when Kelly Anderson, Chelsea Spencer, etc were seniors? I'll fully believe it when I see it. To be fair, I feel really bad for Ninemire. She's had to recruit with facilities that are subpar to all other programs.

A hitting coach? I mean yes- that would be a start. However, many top people have already offered their resources. Even Phil Mumma (RIP)- one of the great all time hitting coaches in Northern California- was shut down. I think the program needs all new leadership outside of D'arcy. Easier said than done when the coach is a Cal legend. Again, she deserves all the accolades and praise for her Cal tenure. However, the sport has evolved and the program- unfortunately- has not.
HoopDreams
SFCALBear72 said:

HoopDreams said:

NCAA softball stats through May 10 show Oregon pitching staff second behind only Oklahoma with an ERA of 1.12. UW is third at 1.15.

The Ducks' top pitcher, Megan Kleist, who faced the Bears on Thursday, I believe, has an ERA of 0.91. Yikes!

Strong is right.
thanks for the stats. I was at the shutout that Megan Kleist threw. Outstanding performance, so 0.91 doesn't surprise me
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.