2020 Men's Swim Recruits

51,014 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by UrsusArctosCalifornicus
HBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cheering on Destin in some recent local coverage of his high school swimming feats:

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/2341522435794158339/mainlands-destin-lasco-is-the-2018-19-njcom-boys-swimmer-of-the-year/

Mainland's Destin Lasco is the 2018-2019 NJ.com Boys Swimmer of the Year

"That's why the whole room stops to watch Lasco. He's a sight to behold, a swimmer both fun to watch and fun to root for and one with seemingly limitless potential."
solobear
I hope Ethan Dang won't make the same mistake Daniel Roy made - choosing furd. If Dang doesn't like the energetic and passionate environment at Cal, there's plenty of other good programs to go to.

- Training by himself in WA without a coach on deck, Roy steadily improved to reach 1:51 in 200 BR
- After a season with furd, he got 1:53 at NCAA. What a waste of talent.
swimmer19
bearz012 said:

swimmer19 said:

3. Jake Magahey Swim Atlanta Mill Creek High School Dacula, GA
Best Times: 500 free 4:16.88, 1000 free 8:55.33, 1650 free 14:52.85, 200 free 1:36.11
Distance swimmers don't usually rank this highly, but Magahey is special. He's already among the best distance prospects we've ranked, a year earlier than any other class we've ranked. He's already under NCAA invite level in the mile and not far off of scoring pace in the 500. Magahey is also rising rapidly. In the past year or so, he's dropped his 500 from 4:26 to 4:16. His 200 is also dropping fast, and is already fast enough to give him potential relay value down the road.
Visiting Georgia alongside #2 Alex Walsh & a bunch of 2019 recruits:

William Cole (#84 Nat, #1 KY), #3 Jake Magahey, Charlie Logan (#250 Nat, #9 GA) - 2019 commit, Harry Homans (#80 Nat, #1 RI) - 2019 commit, #2 Alex Walsh

Jake: I am proud to announce my verbal commitment to swim and study at the University of Georgia! I would like to thank my parents, family, coaches, teammates, and friends, along with everybody who's been a part of my life along this awesome journey. GO DAWGS!

JAKE MAGAHEY, #3 IN THE CLASS OF 2020, VERBALLY COMMITS TO GEORGIA

UrsusArctosCalifornicus

TOP 20 NCAA SWIMMING RECRUITS IN THE BOYS HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 2020

3. Destin Lasco (Previous Rank: #2) - Salvation Army Kroc Aquatics - Mainland Regional High School - Pleasantville, NJ **Verbally committed to Cal**

Best Times: 100 back - 45.93, 200 free - 1:35.17, 100 free - 43.44, 200 back - 1:41.77, 200 IM - 1:44.59, 400 IM - 3:48.22, 500 free - 4:23.77

So far over his junior year, Lasco has improved his freestyles, but his calling-card backstrokes have stalled, as have his IMs. Still, 45-second backstrokers out of high school are rare- we haven't had a junior at that level since Ryan Hoffer in the class of 2017 - and Lasco has a lot of range and versatility to back it up. 43.4/1:35.1 are going to go a long ways in earning free relay spots down the road, and Lasco may wind up projecting best as an IMer, where high school prospects seem to have some of the bigger drops as they move into the college ranks.

7. Forrest Frazier (Previous Rank: #18) - Eastern Iowa Swim Federation - Iowa City High School - Iowa City High School, IA **Verbally committed to Cal**

Best Times: 100 breast - 52.51, 200 breast - 1:55.33, 200 IM - 1:47.61

Frazier got lost in the shuffle of breaststrokers a bit last time around, but by this spring, he's established himself as the best breaststroker in the class. Dropping more than a second and a half in the 100 since last spring, Frazier has the best 100 breast in the class and is a few hundredths back of the best 200 as well after dropping a whopping five seconds since our last ranks. He's got good pullouts and good strength for a high school breaststroker, and his 1:47 IM gives him a very solid third event, even if it'll need some improvement to score at NCAAs.

20. Dare Rose (Previous Rank: "Ones to Watch") - Scarlet Aquatics- Piscatawny, NJ **Verbally committed to Cal**

Best Times: 200 free - 1:36.84, 500 free - 4:24.55, 200 fly - 1:46.55, 200 IM - 1:48.88

I know, I know. Rose is a lot more recognizable name than many ahead of him, and he was a controversial topic in our last ranks. But even though he cracks the top 20 this time, there's just no reasonable rationale (based on actual times swum) to rank him ahead of any of the last few guys. Rose almost certainly fits the category we reference a lot in these rankings: a better swimmer than an NCAA prospect. His long course times are eye-popping: 53.9/1:58.9 in butterfly, 1:49, 3:51 and 50.6 in freestyle. He's had some success transferring that talent to yards compared to last year, when he was just 1:38.1 and 46.0 in short course freestyle. Still, his short course butterflys and 500 free have gone backwards during his junior year. It remains to be seen whether he's an athlete who's just focused more on long course, or one who genuinely doesn't fit well in the short course format. Either way, he'll be a hot commodity for college coaches, because he's got serious upside and, at the very least, national team potential in long course meters.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus said:

Dylan Hawk (CS ranking as of verbal: #96 Nat, #10 CA) => Bears

CIF-CCS CHAMP DYLAN HAWK VERBALLY COMMITS TO CAL

Also competing @ CIF-CCS this week will be a pair of Baby bears - ... on the men's side, 2020 Dylan Hawk (200 & 100 Free).
  • 2019 CIF-CCS Finals - results:
2020 commit Dylan Hawk dropped almost a second from his former best of 1:37.49 to claim runner-up in the 200 Free @ 1:36.56.

Followed that outstanding swim with another lifetime best, a 44.98 (prev PB was 45.19) to come in 2nd @ the 100 Free, behind 2019 Trojan signee Max Saunders' new CCS record of 43.52 (Max's old PR = 44.15).
swimmer19
Missed a post re a Texas recruiting trip over Easter weekend (April 19th-21st):

https://instagr.am/p/BwhdABYhFWH
L-R: Armando Vegas (#51 CA, #468 Nat), Jed Jones (#11 TX, #198 Nat), Dylan Rhee (#1 NY, #59 Nat), Victor Tremblay (#12 TX, #198 Nat), #13 Ethan Dang, Matthew Tannenberger (#3 TX, #97 Nat)

-----

Update:

Victor: "I'm super thrilled to announce my verbal commitment to study and swim at the University of Texas. I want to thank my family, friends, and my coaches for helping me achieve this opportunity by inspiring me along the way. I'm very excited to be a part of a school with such a great athletic and academic program! Hook 'em!"
https://instagr.am/p/BwnkFMohZtw

Matthew: Super proud and humbled to announce my verbal commitment to study and swim at the University of Texas!! Special thanks to my parents, coaches, friends and family for being such an influential part of this process. Can't wait to represent such a legendary team and university! HOOK'EM
https://instagr.am/p/BxBNuITl72N

Armando: I'm incredibly excited to announce my verbal commitment to the University of Texas. I'm so honored to have the opportunity to be a part of a great team and learn from an amazing coaching staff. Thank you to my family, coaches, and friends for helping me along this journey. Hook 'em!
https://instagr.am/p/Bw2vZs4DcF-
swimmer19
bearz012 said:

Another one at the Farm: #8 Rick Mihm, being recruited by Jon Cook & Anya Goeders:
Rick: "I am honored to announce my commitment to continue my academic and swimming career at Stanford University. Thank you to all my family, friends, and coaches who have supported me in this process. I'm excited for what's in store on The Farm! #fearthetree"

STANFORD MEN OPEN 2020 RECRUITING WITH VERBAL FROM #14 RICK MIHM

HBear
#11 Ethan Hu to the Farm, as recently reported by SwimSwam:

https://swimswam.com/11-ethan-hu-commits-to-stanford-cardinal/

swimmer19

'SC hosting a massive group of 2020 recruits this weekend.

Bottom row (er, just an educated guess...pls don't sue me in likely cases of mistaken identity ):
John Paul Khouzam (#999 Nat, #34 OH) - 2019, Hugh Svendsen (#83 Nat, #5 NC), Preston Forst (#40 Nat, #2 NC)

Preston Forst (SwimSwam #16) -> Stanford

#16 RECRUIT PRESTON FORST VERBALLY COMMITS TO STANFORD FROM CLASS OF 2020

UrsusArctosCalifornicus

SUMMER JUNIOR NATIONALS A-FINALIST JACK MEEHAN VERBALLY COMMITS TO CAL

Jack Meehan from Charlotte, North Carolina, has announced his verbal commitment to the University of California, Berkeley for 2020-21. That puts him in a class with Dare Rose, Destin Lasco, Dylan Hawk, Forrest Frazier, and Matthew Jensen, who have also made verbal pledges to the Golden Bears.

"I'm excited to attend Cal in 2020, where I know I'll receive a world class education and further my athletic career with a great team and amazing coaches. Thank you to my family, friends, and coaches for their support."
Microbear85
No rating?
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
Microbear85 said:

No rating?

Sorry for the posting lapse 'ere, been inundated with life outside of the board, believe it or not... :p

Jack Meehan (CS ranking as of verbal: #127 Nat, #8 NC)

btw, Jack has a very noteworthy improvement curve...
swimmer19
swan said:

As always, great work posting photos of potential Bears. I also heard that high end recruits Luke Maurer (a double Stanford swimming legacy), and Canadian stand-out Sabastian Somerset were also on recuiting visits. Michael Jensen's younger brother, Matthew was also spotted.

Giancarlo and Destin have certainly been busy with campus visits. If the trend towards early commitments holds true, I would expect to hear about college destinations fairly soon. Fingers crossed for a deep and talented 2020 haul for the Golden Bears.

Luke Maurer (#19 SwimSwam/double LSJU legacy) -> Stanford

STANFORD SECURES VERBAL COMMITMENT FROM DOUBLE-LEGACY LUKE MAURER (#19 IN 2020)
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Congrats to our 2020 Baby Bears Destin Lasco, Dare Rose, and 2019 Froski Jason Louser!

https://www.usaswimming.org/docs/default-source/national-junior-teamdocuments/rosters/2019-20-national-junior-team-roster.pdf?sfvrsn=2

--------

USA Swimming Announces 2019-2020 U.S. National Junior Team Roster

--------
solobear
bearz012 said:

2020 recruits #18 Forrest Frazier & #9 Adam Chaney visiting Cal this weekend...

Is there any chance or indicator that Chaney will break away from the Fosters and join Cal?
swan
solobear said:

bearz012 said:

2020 recruits #18 Forrest Frazier & #9 Adam Chaney visiting Cal this weekend...

Is there any chance or indicator that Chaney will break away from the Fosters and join Cal?

Solo,

I have it on the QT that Chaney doesn't have the academic drive to join Cal.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
swan said:

With the recent 2019 verbals of Addie Laurencelle and Preston Niayesh (two athletes that are likely very bright students, but long-shots to be impact swimmers) it appears that Durden is keeping his powder dry to focus on the deep 2020 class.

BE Swimmer, Addie Laurencelle Commits to The University of California!

CAL MEN PICK UP VERBAL COMMITMENT FROM FAST-RISING ADDIE LAURENCELLE

It would appear that former 2019 Cal commit Addie Laurencelle (#275 Nat, #1 SC) may have verballed to UVa, reclassified to the recruiting class of 2020... ?

This should of course be taken as mere speculation, pending official confirmation! (or not :p)

swimmer19
swimmer19 said:

Bears hosting some recruits from Labor Day weekend:

Not sure who's who, but judging from (most likely erroneous) facial recognition, looks like #18 Jack Aikins, Tyler Kopp (#53 Nat, #2 TX -2020), #4 Joshua Matheny, Corby Furrer (#75 Nat, #3 TX), and possibly Parker Nolan and Connor Boyle were also on campus last weekend.
Tyler: After much thought and consideration, I am so excited to announce my commitment to swim and study at the University of California Berkeley! I want to thank God, my parents, friends, and coaches, for supporting and guiding me as I continue to pursue my dreams. It has been an incredible journey so far and I can't wait to see what the future holds. Go Bears!

OBear073akaSMFan
Nice to grab one from Texas's backyard!
HBear
swimmer19 said:

swimmer19 said:

Bears hosting some recruits from Labor Day weekend:

Not sure who's who, but judging from (most likely erroneous) facial recognition, looks like #18 Jack Aikins, Tyler Kopp (#53 Nat, #2 TX -2020), #4 Joshua Matheny, Corby Furrer (#75 Nat, #3 TX), and possibly Parker Nolan and Connor Boyle were also on campus last weekend.
Tyler: After much thought and consideration, I am so excited to announce my commitment to swim and study at the University of California Berkeley! I want to thank God, my parents, friends, and coaches, for supporting and guiding me as I continue to pursue my dreams. It has been an incredible journey so far and I can't wait to see what the future holds. Go Bears!

WINTER JUNIORS RUNNER-UP TYLER KOPP (2020) VERBALLY COMMITS TO CAL

"Tyler Kopp, a USA Swimming Scholastic All-American from Katy, Texas has verbally committed to the University of California, Berkeley for 2020-21. He will join Dare Rose, Destin Lasco, Dylan Hawk, Forrest Frazier, Jack Meehan, and Matthew Jensen in the class of 2024."

SwimSwam write-up linked (same photo, same commitment quote). Go Bears!

UrsusArctosCalifornicus
solobear said:

I hope Ethan Dang won't make the same mistake Daniel Roy made - choosing furd. If Dang doesn't like the energetic and passionate environment at Cal, there's plenty of other good programs to go to.

- Training by himself in WA without a coach on deck, Roy steadily improved to reach 1:51 in 200 BR

Ethan Dang (SwimSwam #5) -> LSJU

"It's a dream come true! I'm beyond excited to announce my commitment to swim and study at Stanford University! I would like to thank my family, friends, and coaches for all of their guidance and support. Go Card!! #babytree #godisgood"
OBear073akaSMFan
Not surprised he picked the furds!
HBear

solobear said:

Ethan Dang (SwimSwam #5) -> LSJU

"It's a dream come true! I'm beyond excited to announce my commitment to swim and study at Stanford University! I would like to thank my family, friends, and coaches for all of their guidance and support. Go Card!! #babytree #godisgood"

STANFORD MEN LAND #13 ETHAN DANG, TOP 200Y BREASTSTROKER IN HS CLASS OF 2020

Dang is the sixth public commitment to Stanford for next fall, and fifth ranked in the top 20. He joins #11 Ethan Hu, #14 Rick Mihm, #16 Preston Forst, #19 Luke Maurer, and Aaron Sequiera.

--

Tall class for the Furds.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
HBear said:

WINTER JUNIORS RUNNER-UP TYLER KOPP (2020) VERBALLY COMMITS TO CAL

-------

UrsusArctosCalifornicus

SUMMER JUNIOR NATIONALS A-FINALIST JACK MEEHAN VERBALLY COMMITS TO CAL

---------

Dylan Hawk (CS ranking as of verbal: #96 Nat, #10 CA) => Bears

CIF-CCS CHAMP DYLAN HAWK VERBALLY COMMITS TO CAL

---------

swimmer19 said:

It's a great weekend to be a Golden Bear! Welcome to Cal, Destin Lasco!

#2 DESTIN LASCO MAKES VERBAL COMMITMENT TO CAL FOR 2020-21

---------

TOP 20 NCAA SWIMMING RECRUITS IN THE BOYS HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 2020

20. Dare Rose (Previous Rank: "Ones to Watch") - Scarlet Aquatics- Piscatawny, NJ **Verbally committed to Cal**

---------

Matthew Jensen (CS ranking as of verbal: #86 Nat, #5 PA) => Bears

-------------

MATTHEW JENSEN'S VERBAL TO CAL WILL EXTEND FAMILY LEGACY ANOTHER 4 YEARS

---------

bearz012 said:

CAL ENTERS THE 2020 RECRUITING GAME WITH VERBAL FROM #18 FORREST FRAZIER

SwimSwam #18 // CS ranking as of verbal: #44 Nat, #1 IA

---------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Bjorn Seeliger (SWE) -> Cal

CS Ranking: #18 Nat

-----

A BEAR NAMED BEAR: EUROPEAN JUNIOR CHAMPION SPRINTER COMMITS TO CAL

Swedish sprinter Bjorn Seeliger has verbally committed to the Cal Golden Bears as part of their class of 2020. Bjrn, appropriately, is the Swedish word for "bear."
Quote:

I am excited to announce my commitment to swim and study at the University of California, Berkeley. I want to thank my family and friends for believing in me and helping me along the way. Go Bears
The 19-year old Seeliger was the 2018 European Junior Champion in the 50 free, swimming 22.27 to beat, among others, Russia's Kliment Kolesnikov and South Carolina sprinter Lewis Burras.
Seeliger's best times in LCM:
  • 50 free - 22.27 (21.66 in SCM)
  • 100 free - 49.57 (48.67 in SCM)
  • 100 back - 55.89
  • 200 back - 2:04.02
Seeliger dabbles a little bit in the backstroke events but is mostly a pure sprint-freestyler. After his title in 2018, he didn't swim any lifetime bests in 2019, though after missing the Swedish team for the World Championships he also didn't have a summer championship meet (he has no official results between April and September).

Last year at the NCAA Championships, Cal scored 45 points in the men's 50 free, Seeliger's best event, which is over twice as many as any other team did (Texas was 2nd with 20). They also won the 200 free relay, and scored the second-most points in the 100 free (24 vs. 25 for Texas). That includes an NCAA sprint title for Ryan Hoffer. The Cal men are the defending NCAA Champions.

Seeliger's best time in the 50 free in long course is 22.27. Without having to rely on conversion tools, that's essentially the same time as was swum by Gus Borges (Michigan), Santiago Grassi (Auburn), and Pawel Sendyk (Cal) this summer. Those 3 ranked 12th, 21st, and 2nd, respectively, in the NCAA last season in the 50 yard free.

-----

swan
Seeliger is a "big get" in filling out the 2020 recruiting class. A pure free sprinter along the lines of Tyler Messerschmidt or Shayne Fleming, Bjorn helps address the graduation of Pawel Sendyk, and he is likely to compete immediately for a place on four relays (200 and 400 free and medley).

The 2020 recruiting class also includes an elite backstroker (Lasco) and breaststroker (Frazier), fly (Rose), mid-free strength (Lasco, Rose, Jensen, Hawk) and depth in distance free (Kopp), breast (Meehan). Add in diver Nick Hart and we challenge Texas and Georgia for the top recruiting class of 2020.

It would be nice to add an elite flyer to the class of 2021 that currently features freestyle (50-1650) in Alexy , Crews, Frandsen and Mcgillvray, and a breaststroker in Sonderland.
swimmer19
Wow. Furds class challenging our (should be) highly-ranked Bears class:

WORLD CHAMPS SILVER MEDALIST ANDREI MINAKOV COMMITS TO STANFORD

https://instagr.am/p/B5djH7CAC2z
swan

Huge get for Cards. I had no idea that Minakov was considering attending college in the US as there has been no news about any campus visits. Rather them than Texas.
Stanford usually has several top rated recruits per class but in the past 10 years the talent hasn't been coached up or the focus has been too narrow,e.g. distance free. The 2020 class will make Cards relevant again but they will still trail Bears and Whorns for the next several seasons. The current Stanford roster is outside top 10 in talent and lackluster coaching only logical reason why Stanford has under performed in men's swimming as Cards normally dominant in Olympic sports.
If Dan Schemmel continues recruiting at this level Bear/Card men's conference rivalry will be best in the sport.
HBear
News finally breaking of Adam Chaney, the last top-20 recruit unannounced, & his commitment:

#4 RECRUIT ADAM CHANEY MAKES COMMITMENT TO FLORIDA FOR FALL OF 2020

Ohio sprinter Adam Chaney, a World Juniors medalist and one of the top recruits in his class, will join the University of Florida next fall. The school announced the addition on social media:

Chaney was the last top-20 recruit in the high school class of 2020 to make his college commitment. We had him ranked #4 in that class, which is an outstanding class with some high-potential 2020-and-beyond Olympians near the top.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

TOP 8 U.S. JUNIOR MEN TO WATCH AT THE 2019 U.S. OPEN CHAMPIONSHIPS

DESTIN LASCO

2018 Junior Pan Pacs champ Lasco is a versatile talent who is entered in six events in Atlanta: the 50/100/200 frees, 100/200 back and the 200 IM. Last season, he ranked 5th among American juniors in the 100 free, 5th in the 200 IM, 10th in the 100 back, and 11th in the 200 free. The high school senior has been dropping steadily in the 200-meter races: last summer, he went from 2:04 to 2:02 in the IM, 2:03 to 2:01 in the back and 1:50 to 1:49 in the free. As he continues to develop his range, Lasco becomes more*

{*my note: sentence here not completed at time of publication lol}
swan
Others to watch at Winter Nationals:

Dare Rose (Class of 2020)- 400, 200 and 100 Free, 100 and 200 Fly
Gabriel Jet (Class of 2021)- 100, 200 and 400 Free, 200 Back
Jacob (Class of 2021)- 100 and 200 Breast
swimmer19
DESTIN LASCO SWIMS BEST TIME OF 1:40.77 IN 200 YARD BACK AT HOLIDAY CLASSIC

18-year old Destin Lasco of the PDR Swimming for Success team broke 6 Meet Records this weekend at the 33rd annual Eastern Express Holiday Classic meet on the Rutgers campus. That included a 1:40.77 in the 200 yard backstroke.

That swim knocked exactly 1 second off his previous best time in the event, which was done in March of 2018, and moves him from 30th in 17-18 age group history to 9th. The swim also beat the Pool Record although Rutgers cut its men's swimming program in 2006, so there aren't many big collegiate men's meets in the pool.

Destin Lasco's other Holiday Classic Results (25 yard pool/SCY) All Meet Records:
  • 100 free 43.55
  • 200 free 1:35.42
  • 100 back 47.10
  • 200 back 1:40.77
  • 100 breast 54.00
  • 200 fly 1:45.42
His times in the 200 back (-1.00 seconds), 100 breast (-1.90 seconds), and 200 fly (-7.58 seconds) were all lifetime bests.
HBear
Not directly Cal-related (yet), but:

CARSON FOSTER GRADUATING HIGH SCHOOL EARLY TO FOCUS ON OLYMPIC TRIALS

swimmer19
RE-RANK: TOP 20 BOYS NCAA SWIMMING RECRUITS, CLASS OF 2020

5. Destin Lasco (Previous Rank: #3) Salvation Army Kroc Aquatics Mainland Regional High School Pleasantville, NJ **Verbally committed to Cal**
Best Times: 200 back 1:40.77, 100 back 45.93, 200 IM 1:44.59, 400 IM 3:48.22, 200 fly 1:45.42, 200 free 1:35.17, 100 free 43.44, 50 free 20.72, 500 free 4:23.77
Lasco just about matches Davis in backstroke times he's a tenth faster in the 200 and a tenth slower in the 100. A top-5 recruit since his sophomore year, Lasco has great versatility into the IMs as well as the freestyles. Davis's big 200 free drop is the main reason he ranks a little higher. That's not to say Lasco had a bad senior year he cut a full second in his 200 back, and also had a great summer, dropping to 1:49 in the 200-meter free and to 2:01.8 in the 200-meter back. Lasco appeared to turn a focus to long course in the Olympic year, swimming U.S. Open over Winter Juniors. Lasco has really long arms, and his reach stands out on race video. He doesn't have to take many strokes to get from one wall to the other, and he looks like the type of swimmer who could really excel over the 200-yard distance.

17. Forrest Frazier (Previous Rank: #7) Eastern Iowa Swim Federation Iowa City High School Iowa City High School, IA **Verbally committed to Cal**
Best Times: 100 breast 52.51, 200 breast 1:55.33, 200 IM 1:45.96
Frazier is actually a tick faster than Dillard in the 100 breast and 200 IM, but a bit behind in the 200 breast and without the impact freestyles Dillard has. The only major senior year drop was the IM, but it was a big one, from 1:47.6 to 1:45.9. Frazier has an outstanding 1:02 in the long course 100 breast. Here's his career-best 100 breast from December of 2018 (lane 4, white cap). Frazier has some of the best underwaters in the field, and a relatively high-tempo stroke, though there's some up-and-down to it with his head dropping almost straight down at the end of the stroke. That level of strength underwater is a great building block, though.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:
Dare Rose Scarlet Aquatics Piscataway, NJ **Verbally committed to Cal**
Best Times:
We go through the same song and dance every year with Rose. This year more than ever, his short course times don't merit inclusion in the top 20. But he's got great long course production, and the name value that comes along with that. More impressive than the times above are 1:58.9 and 53.9 in long course butterfly and 1:49.2/3:51 in long course freestyle. Time will tell if Rose is a long course-focused swimmer whose short course times will catch up in college, or if he's a great swimmer who just doesn't fit the NCAA format as well as sprint types.

BEST OF THE REST
Sprint free:
Distance free:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.