2018-2019 Season: Men's Swimming

UrsusArctosCalifornicus
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Pac-12 announces men's swimmer and diver of the week

SAN FRANCISCO - The Conference office announced today that Daniel Carr of CALIFORNIA was named Pac-12 Men's Swimmer of the Week and ARIZONA STATE's David Hoffer was voted Pac-12 Men's Diver of the Week.

Men's Swimmer of the Week: Daniel Carr, So., California (Colorado Springs, Colo.)

Carr helped Cal sweep a pair of road dual meets against No. 14 Arizona State and No. 21 Arizona with two first place finishes and two second-place finishes. The standout sophomore swept the 100-yard backstroke events with a 47.25 time in Tempe and 47.67 time in Tucson, and took home second in the 200-yard backstroke events, as well. Carr helped the No. 1-ranked Bears improve to 4-0 in dual meet action with just two dual meets remaining before the Pac-12 Championships, March 6-9. Carr was also recently named to the USA Swimming Pan American Games roster in Peru, which takes place this August, where he will compete in the 100- and 200-meter backstroke. This marks his first weekly or monthly Pac-12 swimming honor.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

NCAA QUALIFIERS: WHO'S (PROBABLY) IN AND WHO HAS WORK TO DO?

For elite teams, conference meets serve as somewhat of a warm up for nationals. They don't fully taper their stars because they already secured nationals qualification earlier in the year. Which teams are in a position to rest less changes every year based on who has put up fast times already.

We can get an idea of which teams can comfortably avoid resting and which will have to drop everyone to obtain cuts by looking at how swimmer's times so far this year compare to the projected nationals cuts I published last week.

To categorize times' chances of getting in this year I called times that have been faster than the lower bound of the projected cut range in an event "Safe In." Times in the confidence interval and faster than the projected cut are called "Bubble In," and times in the confidence interval but slower than the projected cut are called "Bubble Out."

The men are led by Cal who have 10 swimmers with at least 1 Safe In time, and 3 swimmers with Bubble In times. Texas are next with 9 Safe In swimmers, 3 Bubble In swimmers, and 5 Bubble Out swimmers.

COLLEGE | SAFE IN | BUBBLE IN | BUBBLE OUT
California | 10 | 3 | 0
Texas | 9 | 3 | 5
Michigan | 7 | 2 | 0
Stanford | 5 | 2 | 3
Indiana | 4 | 1 | 2
Florida | 3 | 0 | 4
Georgia Tech | 3 | 0 | 0
Alabama | 2 | 0 | 1
Arizona | 2 | 1 | 0
Arizona St | 2 | 0 | 0
Georgia | 2 | 2 | 0
Missouri | 2 | 1 | 5
Missouri St. | 2 | 0 | 0
NC State | 2 | 2 | 1
Notre Dame | 2 | 0 | 0
Southern Cali | 2 | 1 | 3
Tennessee | 2 | 1 | 1
Virginia | 2 | 0 | 0

| California | SAFE IN | BUBBLE IN | BUBBLE OUT
| Carr, Daniel | 1 | 1 | -
| Grieshop, Sean | - | 1 | 2
| Hoffer, Ryan | 1 | 1 | 1
| Jensen, Michael | 1 | - | 1
| Julian, Trenton | - | 1 | 1
| Mefford, Bryce | 1 | 1 | -
| Norman, Nick | 1 | - | 1
| Quah, Zheng | 1 | 1 | -
| Sand, Carson | - | 1 | -
| Seliskar, Andrew | 5 | - | -
| Sendyk, Pawel | 2 | - | -
| Thomas, Mike | 1 | 2 | -
| Whitley, Reece | 2 | - | -
OBear073akaSMFan
Looking at the 2018-2019 top times, it seems Chris Jhong seems to have a B cut but most likely in the bubble out bucket with the best chance in the 400IM with a 347.99 (B cut 3:51.46).

Excluding divers how many swimmers can be taken - 17?. Texas already has 17 swimmer & I'm sure they will have a number of divers that will qualify which mean a number of their swimmers will most likely kept home.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-------

Bryce Mefford and the Bears host USC on Friday at Spieker Aquatics Complex.

Bears Back Home To Face USC

Cal Swims At Spieker For First Time Since October

BERKELEY - The Cal men's swimming and diving team will make its first appearance at Spieker Aquatics Complex since early October when it hosts USC in a dual meet on Friday. The Bears last swam in Berkeley on Oct. 10, when they defeated Utah 191-100 in a Pac-12 dual. Friday marks the first of two dual meets at Spieker to close out the regular season. The Bears will also host Stanford on Feb. 23 before preparing for their championships segment of the season.

WHAT'S NEXT

The Bears will host Stanford on Feb. 23 to close out the 2018-19 regular season. It will also serve as Senior Day with Nick Norman, Carson Sand, Andrew Seliskar, Ken Takahashi and Mike Thomas all competing at Spieker Aquatics Complex for the final time as undergrads. Cal Diving begins the postseason at the Pac-12 Championships from Feb. 27 to March 2 and the swimmers head to Pac-12s from March 6-9 with both meets taking place in Federal Way, Wash. NCAA Zone E Diving Championships take place March 11-13 in Flagstaff, Ariz. and the 2019 NCAA Championships are set for March 27-30 in Austin, Texas.

-------

Pac-12 Weekly Preview: USC Men Face Cal, Stanford; Arizona-ASU Looms

Andrew Seliskar

-------

NCAA WEEKLY PREVIEW #12: WHAT COLLEGE MEETS TO WATCH THIS WEEK

Andrew Seliskar leads the Cal Bears to Los Angeles for a dual meet against USC on Friday. Archive photo via Jack Spitser/Spitser Photography

-------

UPDATE =>

-------
BearDevil
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Excluding divers how many swimmers can be taken - 17?. Texas already has 17 swimmer & I'm sure they will have a number of divers that will qualify which mean a number of their swimmers will most likely kept home.

Teams can take a total of 18 athletes to NCAAs. Divers count as 0.5 and swimmers count as 1. If a team has two scoring divers and more than 17 scoring swimmers, makes sense to take two divers if projected points are equal and the marginal swimmers can't contribute on relays.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Junior Zheng Quah was a double-winner on Friday.

Bears Roll Past Trojans

Cal Overcomes Elements In Impressive Afternoon Of Racing

Results

HBear
February power rankings from SwimSwam on the men's side:
https://swimswam.com/2018-2019-mens-ncaa-power-rankings-february-edition/

#5: MICHIGAN WOLVERINES (prev. #5)
#4: NC STATE WOLFPACK (prev. #4)
#3: INDIANA HOOSIERS (prev. #3)

#2: CALIFORNIA GOLDEN BEARS (PREVIOUS RANK: #2)

Cal is just too tough a team for me to not have them #1. There isn't a single hole in their swimming roster, and there are several events where they are insanely deep. I expect February to be Cal's month, in regards to Cal vs Texas, mostly because their conference meet is much more competitive than the Big 12. -SP

Cal versus Texas is really splitting hairs right now. I'm hoping I'm not underestimating what Texas's divers can do, and with Hugo Gonzalez still an unknown, there's not much between these teams. Yes, Texas is known for not swimming fast in-season. No, we can't make too many conclusions from in-season swimming from any one team. But, my word, has Cal been laying down the gauntlet (especially Mr. Seliskar). -KO

I'm notoriously slow to change my #1 vote, but Cal isn't making it easy this time around. I have a sneaking suspicion this sophomore class will take the leap from "surprisingly strong rookie contributors" to "bona fide NCAA studs." For reference, that class includes Ryan Hoffer, Daniel Carr, Sean Grieshop, Bryce Mefford and Trenton Julian. If three of those five are scoring 40+ points individually, watch out. -JA

Still can't do anything at the top until we know about Hugo Gonzalez and whether-or-not he'll be eligible this season at Cal. -BK

I see Texas having a slight lead (see below), but if Hugo Gonzalez does show up for Cal, he could/should provide enough points to swing things for Cal. -RG

#1: TEXAS LONGHORNS (PREVIOUS RANK: #1)
I've still got the Cal swimmers scoring about 60-70 more swimming points than Texas, but I'm assuming that the Texas divers are capable of once again scoring 80 points and securing the Longhorns' 5th-straight swimming and diving title. Once again, it looks like there will no room for error by either team. -RG

All five of our rankers are holding fast on their #1 votes, leaving Texas with a narrow 3-2 advantage. For my part, it's hard to overstate two pieces of this 2018-2019 Texas crew: the rise of Charlie Scheinfeld at what's been the team's clear weak point for several years, and just how many points their diving group will score (last year it was 81). -JA

If there's no eleventh hour appearance from Hugo Gonzalez, which there may well not be, Texas is probably favored slightly. Maybe? It's looking like Bush-Gore 2000. -KO

Texas has a lot of freshmen they're relying on this season. Good news for them, is they have one of the best groups of freshmen I have ever seen. -SP
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Seli !!!

-------

Pac-12 announces men's swimmer and diver of the week

Men's Swimmer of the Week: Andrew Seliskar, Sr., California (McLean, Va.)

Seliskar helped No. 1 California to a dominant 156-126 dual meet win over No. 10 USC at Spieker Aquatics Complex with three wins in three different strokes. He was the only triple-winner at the meet with first-place finishes in the 200 freestyle (1:33.77), 200 breaststroke (1:53.48) and 200 individual medley (1:44.07), while also swimming a leg on the 200 medley relay team that finished second. The win over the Trojans improved the Bears' dual meet record to 5-0 with one matchup remaining against Stanford this season before the Pac-12 Championships, March 6-9. The senior studying environmental economics and policy will compete at the 2019 FINA World Championships in South Korea, which takes place this July, where he will compete in the 200-meter freestyle. Seliskar earns his first Pac-12 Swimmer of the Week honor, but has previously won two Pac-12 Swimmer of the Month honors, once earlier this season for the competition month of November and once as a sophomore.

-------

Seliskar Named Pac-12 Swimmer Of The Week

http://instagr.am/p/Bt1UxRfFLUl
-------
Page 4 of 4

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.