Cal softball finishes OOC schedule with five games in Hawaii...

2,668 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CalFanatic
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://calbears.com/news/2019/3/5/softball-bears-close-preseason-in-paradise.aspx?path=softball

The series of games at the University of Hawaii will take place Wednesday through Saturday. Sanseibear-
will the Hawaii-Cal game be televised on the Big West channel again this season? The Rainbow Wahine are 12-4
so far this season so they should be formidable opposition per usual. The Bears have played the toughest
schedule ever under Ninemire and have suffered 7 defeats. Six have been to teams ranked in the top 22 in the
nation. Cal also knocked off #21 James Madison & #24 Notre Dame. GO BEARS!
SanseiBear
S71, it looks like only Live Stats for the games. I'll update if it changes.

Schedule
SanseiBear
Weather forecast through the weekend looks halfway decent, but the stadium is located in lower Manoa where you could have passing showers. With the wind, it can feel chilly especially for night games so bring a sweatshirt and/or windbreaker.

Honolulu Weather Forecast
Schroeder71
After a two hour rain delay, Cal quickly disposed of St Bonaventure, 8-0 (5). Frosh southpaw Alex Perez tossed
all five innings. She only fanned one Bonnie batter but walked none. She had been allowing nearly a base on balls per inning so much improved control today. Everyone in the starting lineup got on base and the Bears rapped out 10 hits with no outs in the B5th when the mercy rule triggered. Ninemire had her team playing aggressively and four Bears stole 5 bases. Excellent opener sets the stage for a strong weekend in Hawaii!

https://calbears.com/documents/2019/3/6//sf01.pdf

GO BEARS!
Schroeder71
The Cal offense has caught on fire with 5 consecutive mercy rule blowouts! The 14-0 offensive explosion in 5 innings vs Hawaii (13-4) on their home field was probably the Bear's best game of the 2019 season. The defense has improved, too, and commited no errors behind ace Kamalani Dung. Cal hammered 5 doubles and 2 HRs against four pitchers for the Rainbow Wahine. Most impressive-the hitting has been contagious throughout the lineup. Last night the Bear batters sprayed 16 hits all over the field...Cal Fanatic-what is going on?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/calberk.sidearmsports.com/documents/2019/3/7/SF05.pdf

Cal (14-7) will finish up with St Bonaventure today and Southern Illinois tomorrow. Then the Pac Nine conference play will begin...GO BEARS!
SanseiBear
Schroeder71 said:

The Cal offense has caught on fire with 5 consecutive mercy rule blowouts! The 14-0 offensive explosion in 5 innings vs Hawaii (13-4) on their home field was probably the Bear's best game of the 2019 season. The defense has improved, too, and commited no errors behind ace Kamalani Dung. Cal hammered 5 doubles and 2 HRs against four pitchers for the Rainbow Wahine. Most impressive-the hitting has been contagious throughout the lineup. Last night the Bear batters sprayed 16 hits all over the field...Cal Fanatic-what is going on?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/calberk.sidearmsports.com/documents/2019/3/7/SF05.pdf

Cal (14-7) will finish up with St Bonaventure today and Southern Illinois tomorrow. Then the Pac Nine conference play will begin...GO BEARS!
Watch Kamalani's tearful post-game interview.

Kamalani after beating Hawaii.
Schroeder71
Kamalani is loyal to her family and Hawaii above all else. I'm surprised that she would not pitch Saturday against Southern Illinois. It would be her turn...If she doesn't, she would have only worked five innings over 5 games?

https://calbears.com/documents/2019/3/8//SF6.pdf

Cal just finished off St Bonaventure 12-0 (5)! Zoe Conley pitched a five inning no-hitter, striking out nine Bonnies. The Bears once again played errorless defense and rapped out 16 more hits. Six straight mercy rule five inning victories. GO BEARS!
Schroeder71
Make it lucky # 7! Seven straight ***run-rule*** 5 innings victories registered by the Cal Bears. This afternoon Kamalani Dung tossed a one hit shutout and Cal defeated Southern Illinois, 8-0. The Bears crunched three HRs
[Coelho, Espalin & Sparacino] and seven different batters banged out hits. Only two frosh starters failed to get a base knock: Perez & Smith. Cal is clicking on all cylinders heading into conference play next weekend @ Utah.

GO BEARS!
Ccajon2
Have a twin bill against Farleigh Dickinson on Wednesday they are ranked number 2 6-7 on the Massey ratings and are only 4-11. The next nine games the Bears have our very winnable including the twin bill they play three against Utah which is ranked number 111 in the Massey ratings, furds who are 19-5 with a weak ooc schedule and uc Davis.

I'm pretty happy with the way the team is hitting the only real weak spot in the lineup is Kaylee's sparciano whos got7 errors and is only hitting 235 the rest of the team is really started to play good I think we got to see Alex Perez getting a lot more Innings during conference play because she looks like she is very promising.
Schroeder71
I also evaluated the balance of the schedule and I have Cal finishing 35-21. I have the Bears winning 100% of their OOC contests and capturing 10 of 24 conference tilts. Actually, the Pac Nine is not as tough as usual this season because of the Oregon fiasco. I have a group of four as the upper division [UCLA, Washington, Arizona
& Arizona State] and the second division group of five made up of [Oregon, Cal, Oregon State, Stanford & Utah].
It's feasible that the Bears could split (12-12). Let's assume that upper division 3 game series go 1-2 each and that the second division end up in reverse (2-1) fashion. I see series sweeps being difficult to execute in 2019.

The Bears play 50/50 mix of each group at home and on the road: 24
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
away (12): UCLA, ASU, Oregon, Utah
home (12): UDub, UofA, Oregon St, Furd

GO BEARS!

HoopDreams
Schroeder71 said:

the Pac Nine is not as tough as usual this season because of the Oregon fiasco. I have a group of four as the upper division [UCLA, Washington, Arizona
& Arizona State] and the second division group of five made up of [Oregon, Cal, Oregon State, Stanford & Utah
What was the Oregon fiasco?
Schroeder71
Male HC bolted for Texas and took 4 Oregon starters with him. Other Duck players transferred elsewhere, too.
UO's top three pitchers de-commited and left. Their home run hitters also departed. Oregon now has one quality
pitcher, a transfer from East Carolina. Their team ERA is second highest in the Pac Nine.
HoopDreams
Schroeder71 said:

Male HC bolted for Texas and took 4 Oregon starters with him. Other Duck players transferred elsewhere, too.
UO's top three pitchers de-commited and left. Their home run hitters also departed. Oregon now has one quality
pitcher, a transfer from East Carolina. Their team ERA is second highest in the Pac Nine.
Wow, I didn't hear that

I attended a game vs Oregon and was really impressed by their pitcher and their shortstop
Ccajon2
That would be Mike White the former Oregon coach who bolted for Texas and destroyed the Oregon program remember he also had a hand in destroying Stanford softball program when is daughter who had been playing for Stanford came up with a bunch of allegations about mistreatment of players at Stanford and white reported them.
Schroeder71
Take a gander at Cal's offensive stats after recent 7 game run-rule hot streak. The Bears opened the initial two weekends of the season in tourneys in Louisiana & Florida. Then Ninemire & Co returned to California and participated in the Mary Nutter Classic where they faced another ranked opponent. Cal was 9-7 out-of-the-box with six losses to nationally ranked opponents. The Bear hitters struggled with only two batting .300 or more.

https://calbears.com/documents/2017/2/26/Cumulative_Stats_as_of_Feb_26.pdf?path=softball

Cal is now tied for third in the Pac Nine with a collective team BA%= .321. The starting lineup is dominated by
frosh-soph players (3 each) that were overwhelmed in the beginning by national ranked opponents. They have since settled in to their respective roles on the team and are flourishing. I don't know how the offense will fare in
conference play but it should be interesting. A trio of Cal pitchers has also dominated recently but it will be a major test facing Pac Nine foes. One final comment is that the team defense-in particular the infield-has improved
markedly during the winning streak. During the losing streak, there were several games that the Bears lost largely due to their porous defense. Three unearned runs were given away on 3 or 4 occasions. It's a perfect time to start
league play...GO BEARS!

Ccajon2
My good friend who is a UCLA softball alumna and is really dialed into the Pac-12 softball Community says that ninemire will likely be stepping down at the end of the season and that Angelica seldon is the coach in Waiting take that with a grain of salt if you will but I just thought I'd pass it on. Just classify it as North Hollywood Sports Bar Pac-12 softball talk.
CalFanatic
Speaking of Hawaii softball recruits- look at D'asha Saiki's numbers. Incredible. She'll be hitting middle of the order next year, as a freshman.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/03/12/sports/hot-hitting-saiki-has-punahous-softball-team-cooking/?HSA=a5f5efb4c93081697d647b9150f77e648e8d1578

Her batting statistics were stellar prior to this year, and simply eye-popping this spring. During her 10th-grade season, she hit .400 with five homers, 21 RBIs and 15 runs scored, slugging .925 and netting a .489 on-base percentage for All-State third-team honors.
As a junior last season, Saiki batted .585 with seven home runs, 23 RBIs, 21 runs scored. She carded a slugging percentage of 1.151 and an on-base rate of .690 in the ruthless Interscholastic League of Honolulu, earning first-team All-State honors.

This year, Saiki is on a pace that is unparalleled and as Ruthian as any. In this ILH regular-season, Saiki is batting, no typo, an insane .917 with 11 hits in 12 at-bats. She has a home run, two triples and two doubles a slugging mark of 1.667 to go with 10 RBIs and eight runs scored. She has been walked seven times in addition to the friendly-fire HBP, an OBP of .950.
SanseiBear
CalFanatic said:

Speaking of Hawaii softball recruits- look at D'asha Saiki's numbers. Incredible. She'll be hitting middle of the order next year, as a freshman.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/03/12/sports/hot-hitting-saiki-has-punahous-softball-team-cooking/?HSA=a5f5efb4c93081697d647b9150f77e648e8d1578

Her batting statistics were stellar prior to this year, and simply eye-popping this spring. During her 10th-grade season, she hit .400 with five homers, 21 RBIs and 15 runs scored, slugging .925 and netting a .489 on-base percentage for All-State third-team honors.
As a junior last season, Saiki batted .585 with seven home runs, 23 RBIs, 21 runs scored. She carded a slugging percentage of 1.151 and an on-base rate of .690 in the ruthless Interscholastic League of Honolulu, earning first-team All-State honors.

This year, Saiki is on a pace that is unparalleled and as Ruthian as any. In this ILH regular-season, Saiki is batting, no typo, an insane .917 with 11 hits in 12 at-bats. She has a home run, two triples and two doubles a slugging mark of 1.667 to go with 10 RBIs and eight runs scored. She has been walked seven times in addition to the friendly-fire HBP, an OBP of .950.
Cal will also get Aleia Agbayani next year.

"'Iolani coach Benny Agbayani took his daughter, Aleia, and Saiki on their Crush club team since they were in elementary school, and they played together with the Batbusters club team in California in recent years. They'll play together at Cal."

GO BEARS!
OBear073akaSMFan
Ccajon2 said:

My good friend who is a UCLA softball alumna and is really dialed into the Pac-12 softball Community says that ninemire will likely be stepping down at the end of the season and that Angelica seldon is the coach in Waiting take that with a grain of salt if you will but I just thought I'd pass it on. Just classify it as North Hollywood Sports Bar Pac-12 softball talk.

Is this the last year of coach Ninemire's contract? If so, it would make it easier to let her go if she doesn't step down.
CalFanatic
Ccajon2 said:

I've heard something similar about AS-- I just find it very hard to believe TL wouldn't be next in line for the job. Who knows.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.