Cal Softball loses to CSU Fullerton

2,013 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 59bear
BearinOC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal comes up short in the final 7th inning to lose to Fullerton 3-4. Both teams had 7 hits which is expected as Fullerton is not known for their pitching. Appears Cal did commit 3 errors though to fall 3-4.

Fullerton's only impressive win is against ASU (4-3). Their worst loss of the season was to University of Pacific. I would have gone to watch the game since I live very close but my daughter had her high school game so was unable to go. It appears I did not miss anything special.

We have LSU, BYU and GCU rest of the weekend. I think we will go 1-3 this weekend unfortunately with the only win coming against GCU.
CalFanatic
So, so much talent on this team and we lose to the likes of Cal Poly and Fullerton. Ninemire and the staff should be embarassed.

The talent is there.
jsherr
Sadly, softball has been on a downward trajectory for several years. The players are not imoproving especially the pitching. We haven't had a good pticher since Jolene Henderson gradauted in 2012.

Ninemire did a great job for a long time but it is time for a change.

My daughter is in the 7th grade and I took her to the CAL elite softball camp in Berkeley at the end of January. It was not well organized. She had fun being there but poorly run.

Same feeling I get when I watch the team play. Not well prepared or well coached. Tons of talent. Should not be losing to the Fullertons and Cal Poly's of the world.

The current freshman class is loaded. They need to be coached up though. I hope they don't get disgrunteled and leave. That would be a major missed opportunity. They may not win a PAC-12 game the way they are going now.

I have a lot of confidence in Jim Knowlton. I am sure he will do the right thing if a change is in order.

Go Bears!
BearinOC
Yah I took mine to the camp too and got the same feeling. The camp was for 8-18 years old. Typically when you run a camp with that much age difference, it tend to mean it's for raising funds for for the coaches' salaries. If they are serious about recruiting, they typically invite athletes from 15-17 year olds.

As for not winning any games in Pac 12, even a broken clock in right twice a day. I have a feeling we may pulled one out here and there but, I don't have much confidence at all. Such a waste of a great opportunity with the new facility and all...
jsherr
Yes, you are probably right on getting a win but won't be many in Pac-12. Feels like a Wyking Jones type of team but with a ton of talent. Maybe they can get a win today.

Go Bears!
jsherr
Also the camp we went to was for 7th grade through high school so more for recruiting. Can't imagine the lack of organization had a good impression on the older girls.
BearinOC
Looks like we lost 10-3 against BYU. So far 0-3 this weekend. I hope we beat GCU tomorrow.
BearinOC
I called it for this weekend. 1 for 4 this weekend. Saw this coming a mile away.
Schroeder71
I watched some of every game. Cal's pitching is average at best and the outfield defense never makes a difficult play. When was the last running catch in the gap in LC or RC by a Cal outfielder? Amani Bradley misses catches and fumbles the ball often in center field.

I'll assume that frosh RHP Sona Halajian will not be available until I see otherwise. Chloe Romero has been pitching better than Alex Perez lately. It appears that AP has lost her confidence.
BearinOC
I wonder what happened to Halajian? I was hoping we get good coaching with the pitchers but I just can't figure out why we can't get legit pitching coach and hire a hitting coach. Is DN just that incompetent, strapped for cash to hire legit coaches, or just paranoid that there maybe a coup by the players if she hired a legit coaches. I am losing faith in our AD as well. Since I've written him many times over, only thing I've seen is put DN into the HOF.
59bear
Schroeder71 said:

I watched some of every game. Cal's pitching is average at best and the outfield defense never makes a difficult play. When was the last running catch in the gap in LC or RC by a Cal outfielder? Amani Bradley misses catches and fumbles the ball often in center field.

I'll assume that frosh RHP Sona Halajian will not be available until I see otherwise. Chloe Romero has been pitching better than Alex Perez lately. It appears that AP has lost her confidence.
I haven't seen them at all but results show that decent hitting cannot offset mediocre pitching and shoddy defense. And the PAC is loaded with offensive talent this year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.