Knowlton and softball coach search...

2,716 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BearinOC
CyBear77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sorry I didn't post this sooner...
Was able to ask Knowlton about the search for a new softball head coach after he spoke to WBB fans before the Pac 12 tourney game...
He does have some names and he said we would be surprised at some of the coaches who have contacted him about the job...he said with the new facility on the way that he had gotten a lot of interest...a few had local ties...of course, he did NOT give names...
He also mentioned when asked, that the money for asst. coaches would be increased...
We'll see...I'm hoping for a former Cal player with coaching experience...Spencer, 'Z', Galindo, Harper,...

CyBear
GATC
Thanks. Good to hear.
CalFanatic
I really do hope it's Chelsea Spencer. She played with a fire and HATED losing. You could see it every time she stepped on the field. Defensively the program has never had a better SS. Her focus on fundamentals showed when she was at coaching at Oregon...

"During the 2018 season, Spencer helped the Ducks post a 53-10 overall record while winning the Pac-12 title, earning the No. 1 national seed for the NCAA Tournament and advancing to the WCWS. With her duties primarily including working with the infielders and defense, UO registered an impressive .973 fielding percentage, good enough for 20th in NCAA Division I and second all-time in a single campaign in Oregon softball history (top mark was .974 in 2007). In fact, six of the Ducks top seven single-season fielding percentage marks occurred during Spencer's time with the program."
OBear073akaSMFan
CalFanatic said:

I really do hope it's Chelsea Spencer. She played with a fire and HATED losing. You could see it every time she stepped on the field. Defensively the program has never had a better SS. Her focus on fundamentals showed when she was at coaching at Oregon...

"During the 2018 season, Spencer helped the Ducks post a 53-10 overall record while winning the Pac-12 title, earning the No. 1 national seed for the NCAA Tournament and advancing to the WCWS. With her duties primarily including working with the infielders and defense, UO registered an impressive .973 fielding percentage, good enough for 20th in NCAA Division I and second all-time in a single campaign in Oregon softball history (top mark was .974 in 2007). In fact, six of the Ducks top seven single-season fielding percentage marks occurred during Spencer's time with the program."
Spencer would be a terrific get!! I think a non Bear like Laura Berg would be good get too. She has done wonders for the Beavers & perhaps she wants to come back to California.
SpartanBear20
OBear073akaSMFan said:

CalFanatic said:

Spencer would be a terrific get!! I think a non Bear like Laura Berg would be good get too. She has done wonders for the Beavers & perhaps she wants to come back to California.
"Wonders" meaning a ceiling of sixth place and nine wins in the Pac-12, as well as the regular loss to a non-P5 program? (This year's Oregon State team lost to Seattle, Nevada, Long Beach State, and New Mexico State.) No thanks. Berg would be just a continuation of post-2012 Cal softball.
CalFanatic
I tend to agree with O73 and mostly everything. Will disagree here. Berg would be nowhere near any list of mine.
BearinOC
following...
Ccajon2
I think a hire will be announced after the now canceled WCWS. That would be after June 3. Not saying our AD hadn't reached an agreement with a new coach by now, but it just seems like they would wait till then.
Intuit
Why wait till June? If as you say the WCWS has been cancelled and the season is over why wait to announce once they have an agreement with the new coach.

Schroeder71
I agree-the sooner the head coaching situation can be stabilized, the better. Cal had ten freshmen on the team for one half of a season. Hopefully-a new hire can keep them in our softball program for the future. GO BEARS!
BearinOC
I was watching the Arkansas Softball Coached by Courtney Deifel (2003 CWS player) vs Texas A&M. I could not get over the resemblance to Cat Osterman. In this game I had to a double take. Anyhow, someone mentioned her name as a hopeful candidate. I, for one, am not a fan. I saw her record and was not impressed as a 4th year coach. Whomever we hire, I can't wait. The sooner we have this info, sooner we can stabilize the program.

Stay safe out there. I have been in my home since the March 13th.

Stir Crazy
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.