Crosson Zoom Meeting April 6

2,513 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by calbears4ever
ncbears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just got invited to a Zoom meeting with WVB Coach Crosson for Monday, April 6 at 9:00 a.m. Pacific Time.
I guess I just want to ask him what players he is most excited about for next year - I do want to know why he thinks Cal got "snubbed" but he would be too diplomatic to say what he really thinks.
ncbears
The Zoom meeting was really good. Crosson said he tends to talk too much - and he did talk a lot.
In response to a question, Crosson said Cal is working on retiring Carli Lloyd's jersey - and is working on some reunion/commemoration of the 2010 National Runner Up team.
He did say that he considers Cal a "dream job".
Right now, everything is on schedule for Fall.
He briefly discussed the three announced signees from November - and says there likely will be 3 more announced at the end of April/early May when admissions is complete. He can't talk about those 3 recruits right now.
Team is allowed 4 weeks of 4 hours a week which he described how those are broken up. Biggest problem is going to be skills acquisition during this down time due to university closure. He mentioned the "law of harvest" where he expects each player will come back and show what they've done.
Forte is moving to Outside Hitter - and RS Bella Bergmark will be in the middle. Bergmark may be the best blocker on the team. Anderson will be focusing more on blocking - as well as keeping up her efficiency. .
Crosson prefers a 5-1 lineup - but will do what team needs to be in best position.
He said that the upperclassmen will be the glue this year - and he is asking them to step up to that role.
In a lengthy discussion about difference between being Head Coach and Assistant Coach, he mentioned about learning you can get a red card without using profanity.
Crosson talked about scheduling and gaming out the RPI system. He insinuated that playing St. Mary's last year really ended up hurting - a bit unexpectedly. He - and staff - are working on that. He said that Cal played too many lesser teams last year - and that hurt Cal's RPI.
So, next year's schedule is to open at Nebraska on August 28-29 and go to Hawaii September 11-12. Cal was the 4th team to be added to the Hawaii tourney - and that prompted one of the other teams to bail. Pitt replaced that team and another team bailed. So currently, it's Hawaii, Pitt and Cal. May be a fourth team. Cal may play Hawaii twice.
There is going to be a 3 year rotating tourney between Cal, David and St. Mary's. Each getting one home and one away game. That will the last pre-conference weekend, September 18-19.
For pre-conference weekends, Crosson would like to have 3 home weekends, but 2 and 2 is okay.
He gave a lot of praise to Feller - even if he and Feller had different philosophies when Crosson was an assistant. Crosson mentioned how he and assistant coach Amir may have different philosophies, but Amir knows that any suggestion needs to be backed up with data. Amir wants to bring more concepts over from men's volleyball.
Crosson said a team motto is "do your job" - this means a player doesn't have to be concerned with what others are doing. It will work.
Mima Mirkovic participated. There was some discussion about conditioning. Crosson thinks Beach players are well conditioned to play indoor - but reverse is not necessarily true.
Mima does have a "jump serve" and she may use it during the season - but that's something that is going to be worked on - and will be situational.
I think those were most of the highlights.
OBear073akaSMFan
ncbears said:

The Zoom meeting was really good. Crosson said he tends to talk too much - and he did talk a lot.
In response to a question, Crosson said Cal is working on retiring Carli Lloyd's jersey - and is working on some reunion/commemoration of the 2010 National Runner Up team.
He briefly discussed the three announced signees from November - and says there likely will be 3 more announced at the end of April/early May when admissions is complete. He can't talk about those 3 recruits right now.
Team is allowed 4 weeks of 4 hours a week which he described how those are broken up. Biggest problem is going to be skills acquisition during this down time due to university closure. He mentioned the "law of harvest" where he expects each player will come back and show what they've done.
Forte is moving to Outside Hitter - and RS Bella Bergmark will be in the middle. Bergmark may be the best blocker on the team. Anderson will be focusing more on blocking - as well as keeping up her efficiency. .
Crosson prefers a 5-1 lineup - but will do what team needs to be in best position.
He said that the upperclassmen will be the glue this year - and he is asking them to step up to that role.
In a lengthy discussion about difference between being Head Coach and Assistant Coach, he mentioned about learning you can get a red card without using profanity.
Crosson talked about scheduling and gaming out the RPI system. He insinuated that playing St. Mary's last year really ended up hurting - a bit unexpectedly. He - and staff - are working on that. He said that Cal played too many lesser teams last year - and that hurt Cal's RPI.
So, next year's schedule is to open at Nebraska on August 28-29 and go to Hawaii September 11-12. Cal was the 4th team to be added to the Hawaii tourney - and that prompted one of the other teams to bail. Pitt replaced that team and another team bailed. So currently, it's Hawaii, Pitt and Cal. May be a fourth team. Cal may play Hawaii twice.
There is going to be a 3 year rotating tourney between Cal, David and St. Mary's. Each getting one home and one away game. That will the last pre-conference weekend, September 18-19.
Crosson would like to have 3 home weekends, but 2 and 2 is okay.
He gave a lot of praise to Feller - even if he and Feller had different philosophies when Cross was an assistant. Crosson mentioned how he and assistant coach Amir may have different philosophies, but Amir knows that any suggestion needs to be backed up with data. Amir wants to bring more concepts over from men's volleyball.
Crosson said a team motto is "do your job" - this means a player doesn't have to be concerned with what others are doing. It will work.
Mima Mirkovic participated. There was some discussion about conditioning. Crosson thinks Beach players are well conditioned to play indoor - but reverse is not necessarily true.
Mima does have a "jump serve" and she may use it during the season - but that's something that is going to be worked on - and will be situational.
I think those were most of the highlights
Thanks for your detail summtary. I thought as a freshmen Mima used a jump serve but dropped it as a soph.On the teams bailing out of the Hawaii tournament was it due to economics or was that the tourney was too challenging for them?
ncbears
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Thanks for your detail summtary. I thought as a freshmen Mima used a jump serve but dropped it as a soph.On the teams bailing out of the Hawaii tournament was it due to economics or was that the tourney was too challenging for them?
Crosson didn't explicitly say why the school that dropped out didn't want to play Cal - but he left the impression that that school was worried about losing to Cal. I don't think the other school would have been worried about an RPI hit by playing Cal.
But Hawaii is considered a tough team - Crosson thought Cal playing Hawaii twice wouldn't be a bad thing for RPI and seeing how Cal measures up - so, it may be that the other school didn't want to go to Hawaii and lose to Hawaii and Cal and not come away with any wins for that journey.
KiteBear
Wow. I'm a donor to VB and never got notified about this Zoom session. I did take part in the 11AM Zoom session with Charmin for WBB today.
ncbears
KiteBear said:

Wow. I'm a donor to VB and never got notified about this Zoom session. I did take part in the 11AM Zoom session with Charmin for WBB today.
I have no idea how I ended up invited to the WVB call. I bought tickets for the matches last year in Fort Collins, but I don't know if I made a small donation as well.
I have donated to WBB, but did not get invited to that session!
OBear073akaSMFan
I did get an invite but just forgot about it!
calbears4ever
ncbears said:

For pre-conference weekends, Crosson would like to have 3 home weekends, but 2 and 2 is okay.
He gave a lot of praise to Feller - even if he and Feller had different philosophies when Crosson was an assistant. Crosson mentioned how he and assistant coach Amir may have different philosophies, but Amir knows that any suggestion needs to be backed up with data. Amir wants to bring more concepts over from men's volleyball.
I think those were most of the highlights.

I can't imagine Forte moving to outside because she's a stellar middle and one of the best ones that Cal has ever had. She did really well at the position last season. If she does move to OH, it may mean that Makana Meyer, who is most likely to take over Maddie Haynes' role, could either transfer, quit, or be cut. Meyer was stellar when Mirkovic was out with injury and she is definitely capable of being OH #2 behind Mirkovic.
In addition, if both Mirkovic and Preslie Anderson used their jump serves, Cal would be unstoppable at the service line. Both of them have good jump serves, and if Crosson has them utilize an aggressive jump serve, the opponents will have no chance
CalFanatic
Completely agree with you. How does moving Forte to OH (from middle) make any sense? She's one of the best in the conference! If it ain't broke...don't try and fix it! I'm extremely Team Crosson and think the world of him... but....
calbears4ever
I actually happened to meet Coach Crosson just before first serve when they were playing Utah last season, and thought of him to be an expert in his craft and very detail-oriented. I told him that I was a former player with a dream of playing in college (that was crushed due to serious illness) who became a coach at one of Cal's youth sports camps. I told him that I wanted to consult with him so that I could learn to be a better coach and teach the skills that kids need to know in ways that are more appropriate for their age and skill level so that I can be more effective with them and help them continue to progress. Because of the time crunch, he told me to email him, which I did, but I never heard back from him. It's probably because being the head coach of one of the best pac-12 teams is busy enough if I can imagine. I did apply back to work at the camp I was working at last summer to see if I could become a lead volleyball instructor, but I may not have the job this summer because of the hiring freeze going on at the university
senorbeta
calbears4ever said:

I actually happened to meet Coach Crosson just before first serve when they were playing Utah last season, and thought of him to be an expert in his craft and very detail-oriented. I told him that I was a former player with a dream of playing in college (that was crushed due to serious illness) who became a coach at one of Cal's youth sports camps. I told him that I wanted to consult with him so that I could learn to be a better coach and teach the skills that kids need to know in ways that are more appropriate for their age and skill level so that I can be more effective with them and help them continue to progress. Because of the time crunch, he told me to email him, which I did, but I never heard back from him. It's probably because being the head coach of one of the best pac-12 teams is busy enough if I can imagine. I did apply back to work at the camp I was working at last summer to see if I could become a lead volleyball instructor, but I may not have the job this summer because of the hiring freeze going on at the university

If you get a chance, try to visit him in his office in Haas. I know it's not something you can do right now, but when things loosen up a bit.
calbears4ever
I will try once the hiring freeze is lifted and if I get the job. Fingers crossed that everything works out
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.