Brown University drops 11 varsity sports

1,568 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by calbears4ever
Intuit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29235883/brown-university-drops-11-varsity-sports-adds-2

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Brown University will reduce its number of varsity sports from 38 to 29 in a move designed to make the Bears more competitive in the Ivy League.
University president Christina H. Paxson announced Thursday that the decision was unrelated to the coronovirus outbreak, which has forced schools around the nation to slash athletic budgets.

Varsity sports dropping to club status are men's and women's fencing, men's and women's golf, women's skiing, men's and women's squash, women's equestrian and men's indoor and outdoor track and cross country. Coed sailing and women's sailing will be elevated from club to varsity status.

The university said an external review of the athletic program in 2018-19 found the high number of varsity sports was a barrier to competitiveness. In the preceding 10 years, Brown had won only 2.8% of all Ivy League championships, last in the league.

The university said it will maintain its current level of funding for athletics, allowing the remaining varsity teams to receive more resources.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
Quote:

Varsity sports dropping to club status are men's and women's fencing, men's and women's golf, women's skiing, men's and women's squash, women's equestrian and men's indoor and outdoor track and cross country. Coed sailing and women's sailing will be elevated from club to varsity status.
Phew! I for one am sure glad most Essential sports survived these Absurd cuts; namely, men's figure-skating, co-ed pistol honor-dueling, men's and women's power hackysack, sandcastle construction and, of course, men's indoor and outdoor competitive french-poodle walking.
calbears4ever
People need to start donating to the cal athletics fund so that we can save our sports programs, especially the talented ones like the swimming/diving, volleyball, and track. Those sports need donor funds in addition to attendance revenue in order to keep running. I don't know if volleyball is endowed, but if not, I'd love to see it endowed by somebody
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.