2021 Track recruits

7,882 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by coachdeke
OBear073akaSMFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Decided to start a new thread for new track recruits; Thanks you Intuit for Aiden Lippert.

Quote:

Intuit said:
https://twitter.com/AidenLippert/status/1309542504123883520/photo/1
Great to get a sprinter. In the Cal state meet of 2019 as a soph (Los Costa Canyon H.S.) coming in 12th in the prelims with a 48.70. Had the best of 48.31 during the same year. Also best in the 100 of 10.9 & 200 21.7. No state meet in 2020. Hopefully the Cal state meet will happen in 2021. Nice get for start of the 2021 recruiting year.

edit:
Oop. Started this because I thought we had another recruit but turns out it was only an offer. Maybe down the road.
OBear073akaSMFan
Weight recruit from Texas. SP/Disc 46-7.5 / 152-3

OBear073akaSMFan
Annabella Tiller a sprinter & hurdler from from Santa Barbara!

OBear073akaSMFan
Aly Conyers long sprinter from Va. 200/400 24:86 & 55.87

BayAreaClubCoach
New staff finally making this speed/throws city! 25.46/59.15/46.11 300h for Tiller. Who else we got coming? Anyone know?
OBear073akaSMFan
BayAreaClubCoach said:

New staff finally making this speed/throws city! 25.46/59.15/46.11 300h for Tiller. Who else we got coming? Anyone know?
Disappointing in no distance recruits yet. Lots of the local recruits going to stanford, duke, UCLA, Calpoly, virginia, oregon, uc david, and uc Irvine but none to Cal yet. Maybe the impacted by the loss of Chas Davis has hampered our XC/distance recruiting.
BayAreaClubCoach
I may just be reading the tea leaves here...but seems to me from other things I've heard out of the program that they are just going speed/power events and leaving the distance points to the traditional powers like Colorado, Stanford and Washington. Which makes sense given the position the program is in. I could be wrong but could be exciting that we'd take on USC and Oregon at their own game! Other explanation is that it's taking some time for new recruiting Coach Darling to get up to Speed?
OBear073akaSMFan
Another sprinter/hurdler/LJ in the fold. Asjah Atkinson was 3rd in the 2019 state meet in the HH 13.84w and 6th in the state meet in the LJ 19 4.5. Also from Socal

OBear073akaSMFan
Another thrower in the group, Sara Pettinger from Mission Viejo HS! Best throws SP/Discus 38.-9/132-4!

OBear073akaSMFan

Discus thrower from Lithuania 189+ ft. I believe this is the olympic weight level throw which would be an outstanding throw.

OskiHammer
That mark is with the big disc. Dad won gold in 2000 and 2004 - great pick up by Coach Mo!
OBear073akaSMFan
OskiHammer said:

That mark is with the big disc. Dad won gold in 2000 and 2004 - great pick up by Coach Mo!
Thank for confirming and the additional information on the Dad. Indeed a "great pick up"!
OBear073akaSMFan
Another sprinter in the fold, Aysha Shaheed from Madison HS San DIego area. In the 2019 Cal state meet (soph) was 4th in the 100 final and 6th in the 200 finals. Best times are 11.57 & 24.16 and has LJ'ed 18-10. Another terrific get by the staff!

OBear073akaSMFan
Pole Vaulter Tyler Burns from Oak Ridge. Best of 16-5. Son of school record holder Brent Burns (Acalanes HS ? 18-8.25. Mom was a Cal graduate too.

This from a article https://goldcountrymedia.com/news/147155/athlete-of-the-week-tyler-burns/
Quote:

Yes, sports do run in my family. My mom was a cheerleader at UC Berkeley and my grandfather on my mom's side is in the hall of fame at San Jose State as a diver and boxer. My dad has the school record pole vault at UC Berkeley at 18-8 and later competed professionally as a pole vaulter. My grandfather on my dad's side was the previous school record holder in the javelin at the University of Oregon and later competed on a world class level.

BayAreaClubCoach
Did some digging and appears Maverick Darling, the recent distance assistant hire to replace Davis, left the job about 2 weeks a while ago. Anyone know what the deal is there? Good to see Coach LeFever land a nice one along with Coach Chuckie and Coach Mo so Speed/Throws City doesn't steal the show!
OBear073akaSMFan
BayAreaClubCoach said:

Did some digging and appears Maverick Darling, the recent distance assistant hire to replace Davis, left the job about 2 weeks a while ago. Anyone know what the deal is there?
Wow didn't know but then who am I? There's a coach close by at Strawberry Canyon that might be able to help
8- ) !
senorbeta
Brent Burns was a great pole vaulter and big time recruit when he chose Cal over Oregon even though his family were Ducks. I believe Erv Hunt was a patient(dentist) of Bren's dad or Tyler's grandfather.
OBear073akaSMFan
Officially David Foster 100 AAU Jr champion heading to CAL. Best of 10.29 (100) and 21.31 (200)

OBear073akaSMFan
BayAreaClubCoach said:

Did some digging and appears Maverick Darling, the recent distance assistant hire to replace Davis, left the job about 2 weeks a while ago. Anyone know what the deal is there?
Don't know why Maverick left but looks like Trevor Dunbar is his replacement. He is another person who worked with coach Johnson at Boston University as a volunteer coach. Graduated from University Oregon and was an assistant there too but most recently was operational Assistant at Florida state. Seems like a good hire but can he recruit?

https://calbears.com/news/2020/12/21/dunbar-joins-track-field-cross-country-staff.aspx
OBear073akaSMFan
Sprinter & hurdler from Upland (socal), Jordyn Grady.

Schroeder71
Am I correct? It seems like Cal is landing several quality sprint recruits in this class and the previous one...GO BEARS!
OBear073akaSMFan
Officially (previously mentioned). Best times as 10th grader 100/200/400 10.9/21.7/48.31

OBear073akaSMFan
Jordyn Grady from Upland HS has committed to CAL. She looks to be a sprinter/hurdler. As a 10th grader she came in 4th in the 300lh in the finals of the Cal State Meet.

Events/ Best Marks

100m 11.77
200m 25.28
400m 57.61
100H 15.25
300H 42.80
HJ 5-0

OBear073akaSMFan
There will be no Year end State Meet this year. In fact, not all sections will have their sectional meets that normally leads to the state meet. NCS will not have it but I believe SS will have a sectional meet. The NCS will just stop at their league championship meet.
puget sound cal fan
That's a very good100M time.
OBear073akaSMFan
The time was done as a 10th grader and she hasn't run under 12 sec since though last 2 yrs TF in high school has been limited due to covid.
OBear073akaSMFan
Cal received a transfer from Brown U, Ijeoma Uche. Looks like her best event is the LJ with a 20.7 PR!

OBear073akaSMFan
looks like they come as a pair, a second jumper from brown University Felicia Renelus. Best of 18-10 in LJ and 40.11 in TJ (both indoors). Both were Srs but have missed a year due to canceled season due to covid.

BayAreaClubCoach
https://virginiasports.com/news/2021/05/18/dunbar-named-assistant-track-field-and-cross-country-coach/

Dunbar just left for Virginia. Still no distance recruits. Bummer.
OBear073akaSMFan
BayAreaClubCoach said:

https://virginiasports.com/news/2021/05/18/dunbar-named-assistant-track-field-and-cross-country-coach/

Dunbar just left for Virginia. Still no distance recruits. Bummer.
Can't blame him for leaving for Va but couldn't last a year!!
BayAreaClubCoach
Can we please just hire Coach Rose now? He's proven he can develop walk-on types, has deep ties to the community, and will NEVER leave. Have they not contacted you CalJunkie?
Cal Junkie
BayAreaClubCoach said:

Can we please just hire Coach Rose now? He's proven he can develop walk-on types, has deep ties to the community, and will NEVER leave. Have they not contacted you CalJunkie?
They do not seem too interested in me for whatever reason.

I emailed both Coach Robyne and Coach Lockhart (together) and received a one sentence communication (thank you for your interest, etc.) in return. They have the right to choose someone they prefer, but there is a strong bias toward those with NCAA coaching experience. The club coaching experience doesn't quite register for them.

The beauty of track & field/cross country is the numbers don't like. An athlete either improved or they didn't. So I honestly don't get it at this point.

If you like Sara Nordenholz at Albany (10:05 3200 as a jr.) well her coach has run for us for a decade and he has her do the workouts I taught him. There are other major recruits I could help pull in who would run for Cal for a song.
OBear073akaSMFan
Cal Junkie said:

BayAreaClubCoach said:

They do not seem too interested in me for whatever reason.

I emailed both Coach Robyne and Coach Lockhart (together) and received a one sentence communication (thank you for your interest, etc.) in return. They have the right to choose someone they prefer, but there is a strong bias toward those with NCAA coaching experience. The club coaching experience doesn't quite register for them.

The beauty of track & field/cross country is the numbers don't like. An athlete either improved or they didn't. So I honestly don't get it at this point.

If you like Sara Nordenholz at Albany (10:05 3200 as a jr.) well her coach has run for us for a decade and he has her do the workouts I taught him. There are other major recruits I could help pull in who would run for Cal for a song.
Kudos to you. Sara has been unbelievable this year and unfortunately the NCS season was cut short however she has dominated the invitationals and her overwhelming win at Arcadia show she will be one of the top runners next year. Cal has to have Sara tops on their list but she will have all the elite colleges to pick from. Albany also had a sensational Junior boy too in Sean Morello.
Cal Junkie
Thanks, man! Considering her coach (Jack Wallace) went to Cal, and I coached him from freshman year to date and I also went to Cal, I am sure there would be some strong consideration if I were on staff. If not, she is going to break the state record next year (9:48 I believe), and she will have a plethora of offers (she already does).

I have dozens of contacts with high schools all over the state since I coach a club and we take the runners Cal doesn't want. They are aware of the improvements all of the runners have shown, and numerous coaches would really be gung ho about it if I were on staff.

But - I throw no shade. Cal has the right to pick who they feel is appropriate for the position. Wish it were me but best of luck.

PS: In my email I also suggested that if they were not interested in me, that a female coach would be a good complement for Bobby Lockhart, so maybe they would go that route.
puget sound cal fan
Foster's sprint times are impressive, particularly, the 10.29 in the 100M. Katy, TX--aren't we recruiting a footballer from there?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.