Gas shortages on the east coast, looks like the 80s.

6,197 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Eastern Oregon Bear
MinotStateBeav
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MinotStateBeav
Bah I meant this for off topic. lol see how long this stays here I guess :P
GivemTheAxe
MinotStateBeav said:

I like the video. But the newest Road Warrior movie seems to ignore the gas crisis and focuses more on the water crisis.
The original Mel Gibson Road Warrior trilogy (especially the second) had as a central premise the gas crisis and the fight to get whatever gas was available whatever extremes that fight required.
sycasey
GivemTheAxe said:

MinotStateBeav said:

I like the video. But the newest Road Warrior movie seems to ignore the gas crisis and focuses more on the water crisis.
The original Mel Gibson Road Warrior trilogy (especially the second) had as a central premise the gas crisis and the fight to get whatever gas was available whatever extremes that fight required.
01Bear
I was getting gas at Costco last night at 8:30pm. Usually, that's a pretty dead period so I can arrive, gas up, and leave in minutes. Last night was completely different. The cars were lined up at least two or three deep per pump. It was like the middle of the day on a Saturday. I wonder if the lines were related to the pipeline hacking and subsequent gas shortage in the East Coast.
71Bear
01Bear said:

I was getting gas at Costco last night at 8:30pm. Usually, that's a pretty dead period so I can arrive, gas up, and leave in minutes. Last night was completely different. The cars were lined up at least two or three deep per pump. It was like the middle of the day on a Saturday. I wonder if the lines were related to the pipeline hacking and subsequent gas shortage in the East Coast.
I suspect those drivers probably had cases of TP in their trunks they purchased at the beginning of the pandemic. The notion of panic buying is an enduring mystery. Why???

BearForce2
71Bear said:

01Bear said:

I suspect those drivers probably had cases of TP in their trunks they purchased at the beginning of the pandemic. The notion of panic buying is an enduring mystery. Why???

Those who hoarded TP are probably the same ones who are currently wearing masks outdoors while vaccinated.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
MinotStateBeav
I called my mom and we were talking about it and I asked her what it was like back then, she said it sucked. My dad didn't have the patience to sit in the car so my mom did it. I loved my dad but he really had zero patience when it came to stuff like that hah. Unfortunately I think I got that trait from him. Anyway she remembered that you could get gas based on the last letter or # on your license plate. I was pretty young back then so I only really remember sitting in the car for a long time. Maybe others can talk about the gas shortage in the 80s that they experienced.
dajo9
American Vermin
LMK5
MinotStateBeav said:

I called my mom and we were talking about it and I asked her what it was like back then, she said it sucked. My dad didn't have the patience to sit in the car so my mom did it. I loved my dad but he really had zero patience when it came to stuff like that hah. Unfortunately I think I got that trait from him. Anyway she remembered that you could get gas based on the last letter or # on your license plate. I was pretty young back then so I only really remember sitting in the car for a long time. Maybe others can talk about the gas shortage in the 80s that they experienced.
I remember them well, specifically the ones in 1979. Gas prices had gone from 0.27 per gallon to $1.20 during the Arab oil embargo. This was also when gas prices had to be displayed prominently by the gas stations because the price was changing so fast.

You sat in the gas line for as long as it took, then sometimes the gas would run out just as it was approaching your turn. Then they instituted a system where the last number on your plate determined whether you could get gas on an odd or even day. Still, the amount of gas you could purchase was rationed.

My friend had a huge Pontiac Catalina, while I had a more efficient 1976 Mercury Comet. We'd siphon gas out of his tank and put it in mine. BTW, this is when gas caps first started to have locks on them. People would steal your gas if you didn't. Locks remain to this day.
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
sp4149
71Bear said:

01Bear said:

Prices at Costco south of San Diego have been thirty cents a gallon cheaper than the major brand stations (including Arco) and twenty cents a gallon cheaper than independents for the last week. Costco is usually the last to jack up their prices when thee is a panic, the result is they have longer lines.
BearForce2
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
BearForce2
01Bear
BearForce2 said:

71Bear said:

01Bear said:

Those who hoarded TP are probably the same ones who are currently wearing masks outdoors while vaccinated.

Do you drive a car with airbags, a seatbelt, and brakes? I mean, it's obvious you're opposed to redundancy to prevent an undesirable event.
BearForce2
01Bear said:

BearForce2 said:

71Bear said:

01Bear said:

Do you drive a car with airbags, a seatbelt, and brakes? I mean, it's obvious you're opposed to redundancy to prevent an undesirable event.
Yes and no.
I hoard TP but generally don't wear masks outdoors where there aren't a lot of people.
01Bear
BearForce2 said:

01Bear said:

BearForce2 said:

71Bear said:

01Bear said:

Yes and no.
I hoard TP but generally don't wear masks outdoors where there are a lot of people.

Absent any laws or regulations to the contrary, your choosing not to wear masks outdoors around lots of people is your decision to make. Just as it's up to others to decide whether they wish to wear masks outdoors. Ridiculing them for being more vigilant about protecting their own health as well as that of others because you made a different choice is foolish.

I get that the rightwing has ridiculously made mask wearing into a cultural-political issue, but it's just asinine for any critical thinker, which I assume you to be as I assume you are a Cal alumnus, to follow that path. The science has shown that mask wearing cuts down on the transmission risk of respiratory illnesses. Sure, science has also shown that certain viruses, including SARS-Cov-2 are inactivated by sunlight over a matter of time. But that doesn't mean the viruses are immediately and automatically inactivated upon exposure to sunlight, let alone that being outdoors is sufficient to inactivate those viruses. Additionally, science has shown that the Covid-19 vaccines will not always prevent a vaccinated person from catching Covid-19, though it will reduce the risk of a severe illness.

In short, if others wish to wear masks outdoors after being fully vaccinated, they should be free to do so without fear of derision (or worse, assault).
BearForce2
01Bear said:

BearForce2 said:

01Bear said:

BearForce2 said:

71Bear said:

01Bear said:

Yes and no.
I hoard TP but generally don't wear masks outdoors where there are a lot of people.

Absent any laws or regulations to the contrary, your choosing not to wear masks outdoors around lots of people is your decision to make. Just as it's up to others to decide whether they wish to wear masks outdoors. Ridiculing them for being more vigilant about protecting their own health as well as that of others because you made a different choice is foolish.

I get that the rightwing has ridiculously made mask wearing into a cultural-political issue, but it's just asinine for any critical thinker, which I assume you to be as I assume you are a Cal alumnus, to follow that path. The science has shown that mask wearing cuts down on the transmission risk of respiratory illnesses. Sure, science has also shown that certain viruses, including SARS-Cov-2 are inactivated by sunlight over a matter of time. But that doesn't mean the viruses are immediately and automatically inactivated upon exposure to sunlight, let alone that being outdoors is sufficient to inactivate those viruses. Additionally, science has shown that the Covid-19 vaccines will not always prevent a vaccinated person from catching Covid-19, though it will reduce the risk of a severe illness.

In short, if others wish to wear masks outdoors after being fully vaccinated, they should be free to do so without fear of derision (or worse, assault).
I generally don't wear masks outdoors when there "aren't" a lot of people around. It was a misspelling.
LMK5
01Bear said:

BearForce2 said:

01Bear said:

BearForce2 said:

71Bear said:

01Bear said:

Yes and no.

Good points. But following your line of thought, when will these same people ever stop wearing a mask outdoors?
01Bear
LMK5 said:

01Bear said:

BearForce2 said:

01Bear said:

BearForce2 said:

71Bear said:

01Bear said:

Yes and no.

Good points. But following your line of thought, when will these same people ever stop wearing a mask outdoors?

Barring any laws or regulations mandating they do so, why should they have to stop wearing masks? In many East Asian countries, wearing masks has become normalized, and is also partly responsible for why their Covid rates were so low. These countries suffered from SARS outbreaks before; their populations got used to wearing face masks in public. These countries haven't suffered any negative effects as a result of their populations face mask wearing.

The primary reason people in the US have become upset with wearing face masks is that the political rightwing has turned it into an idiotic cultural-political war. For them, wearing a face mask is a sign of disloyalty to Donald Trump who claimed that Covid-19 wasn't a big deal and would disappear in a few weeks. They show their support of Donald Trump by downplaying Covid-19 and ridiculing all the "eggheads" and "libtards" who take science seriously by not wearing face masks (and now by refusing to be vaccinated against Covid-19).
bearister
BearForce2 said:

Now seems like a good time to make the move on the South that Lincoln wouldn't let Sherman make. Let Stan McCrystal lead it.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
dajo9
New Jersey is at the end of the Colonial Pipeline. There are no waits to get gas in New Jersey, at least that I have seen. We aren't panic hoarding idiots.
American Vermin
concordtom
BearForce2 said:

71Bear said:

01Bear said:

Yet another idiotic post.
sonofabear51
Exactly.
going4roses
Capitalism = Commodification of scarcity
dajo9
going4roses said:

Capitalism = Commodification of scarcity

Capitalism has made scarcity a problem of the past, relatively speaking. Now we need to force capitalism to more equitably distribute resources, which are far more abundant than they used to be.
American Vermin
LMK5
01Bear said:

LMK5 said:

01Bear said:

BearForce2 said:

01Bear said:

BearForce2 said:

71Bear said:

01Bear said:

Yes and no.

Barring any laws or regulations mandating they do so, why should they have to stop wearing masks? In many East Asian countries, wearing masks has become normalized, and is also partly responsible for why their Covid rates were so low. These countries suffered from SARS outbreaks before; their populations got used to wearing face masks in public. These countries haven't suffered any negative effects as a result of their populations face mask wearing.

The primary reason people in the US have become upset with wearing face masks is that the political rightwing has turned it into an idiotic cultural-political war. For them, wearing a face mask is a sign of disloyalty to Donald Trump who claimed that Covid-19 wasn't a big deal and would disappear in a few weeks. They show their support of Donald Trump by downplaying Covid-19 and ridiculing all the "eggheads" and "libtards" who take science seriously by not wearing face masks (and now by refusing to be vaccinated against Covid-19).
Of course I don't care if others wear masks outdoors on a trail, but it is a shame that people will follow science when it restricts their lives, but won't follow science from the same source when it releases them from that restriction. I guess it's human behavior. Why do we still have hand sanitizer all over the place when it has been documented that Covid doesn't get transmitted via surfaces?

There are people where I live who not only wear masks outdoors and while driving alone, but use an umbrella on sunny days or wear a huge tinted visor that swivels down into a pseudo welder's shield. When you package that kind of mindset with getting searched at airports in your stockinged feet (which is necessary) and your bag rifled through and your person wanded to enter a ballpark, you can kind of see the road map that we are on if your eyes are somewhat open. But I do realize that there are quite a large number of people who feel protected--coddled even--the more their lives are controlled.

At this point in the game, a person who's walking around in the park with a mask smacks of defeatism.
Unit2Sucks
LMK5 said:

01Bear said:

LMK5 said:

01Bear said:

BearForce2 said:

01Bear said:

BearForce2 said:

71Bear said:

01Bear said:

Yes and no.

Of course I don't care if others wear masks outdoors on a trail,
Sure seems like you do given that you followed that statement with 2 paragraphs complaining.

I think about all this from two different standpoints. First, we have an obligation to each other as a society. Unfortunately, lots of people have abrogated any responsibility to be considerate of others which is a big part of the deterioration we've seen in our culture. Public health is about protecting us as a people, not necessarily each individual. I still wear a mask when I'm around other people in public to be considerate. I hate wearing masks but it's a relatively minor inconvenience, all things considered.

Second, we make decisions to protect from (or expose ourselves to) risks. When the pandemic was peaking, these decisions obviously impact public health and other people, but now that vaccines are widely available, it primarily impacts your family. If people want to lick doorknobs or whatever, they are free to do so. It doesn't bother me when people wear sunscreen, choose to drive safer cars, eat healthy or take other measures they believe protect them from risks, whether those precautions are warranted or not. When I was younger I used to snicker at people who used umbrellas when it was drizzling but as I've matured I've realized that, except for the jerks who can't manage to walk down the street without hitting people with their umbrellas, it doesn't impact me in the least and I no longer care. Okay, so I guess I care a little bit about inconsiderate umbrella users on sidewalks.

Bottom line, I think there is a big difference between criticism of people who fail to do the bare minimum with regard to public health mandates since that impacts the shape of the pandemic and affects everyone. Had we done a better job as a society, we would have been over the pandemic earlier. Look at compliance in the countries that did well and it's no mystery. As a country we did extremely poorly for a variety of reasons, and failure to adhere to guidance, as well as constantly criticizing all guidance, was chief among them. Criticizing people who go beyond the minimum for whatever reason (because they are immune compromised, because they want to stick it to the anti-public health brigade, or because they just keep doing what they've been doing) is petty and categorically not the same as criticizing people who violate mandates. It's one thing to talk about the rule of law and criticize law breakers, it's quite another to criticize people for doing more than a law requires.
B.A. Bearacus
LMK5 said:

Of course I don't care if others wear masks outdoors on a trail, but it is a shame that people will follow science when it restricts their lives, but won't follow science from the same source when it releases them from that restriction. I guess it's human behavior. Why do we still have hand sanitizer all over the place when it has been documented that Covid doesn't get transmitted via surfaces?
It's clear to me that you are speaking not out of concern that people are unnecessarily inconveniencing themselves but more from a desire to control the behavior of others simply because it bugs you. Give people time -- folks go at their own pace. Let people live their own lives if it's not impacting you or causing harm to others.
Yogi361
01Bear said:

BearForce2 said:

01Bear said:

BearForce2 said:

71Bear said:

01Bear said:

Yes and no.

You are the former
BearForce2
going4roses
This is not helping you
BearForce2
If everyone stopped using TP for two weeks, we can also flatten that curve. Just practice social distancing.
LMK5
B.A. Bearacus said:

LMK5 said:

It's clear to me that you are speaking not out of concern that people are unnecessarily inconveniencing themselves but more from a desire to control the behavior of others simply because it bugs you. Give people time -- folks go at their own pace. Let people live their own lives if it's not impacting you or causing harm to others.
I don't want to control anyone's behavior. What gave you that idea? I'm just bewildered that people don't listen to the science when a restriction can be lifted, that's all. It's commentary. It doesn't affect me if someone wears a mask in the wilderness or in their car, it's just an opportunity to chuckle.

You're a reasonable guy. How do you feel about the teachers unions--especially in the Bay area--exploiting local kids in the name of maximum Covid safety? It's a perfect example of how it can go too far. Should they be able to force schools closed because they say they fear for their own personal safety, despite all available evidence?
calpoly
LMK5 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

LMK5 said:

I don't want to control anyone's behavior. What gave you that idea? I'm just bewildered that people don't listen to the science when a restriction can be lifted, that's all. It's commentary. It doesn't affect me if someone wears a mask in the wilderness or in their car, it's just an opportunity to chuckle.

You're a reasonable guy. How do you feel about the teachers unions--especially in the Bay area--exploiting local kids in the name of Covid safety? It's a perfect example of how it can go too far. Should they be able to force schools closed because they say they fear for their own personal safety, despite all available evidence?
Almost ALL of your posts are about controlling peoples behavior. People should go back to work during a pandemic because YOU are inconvenienced has been one of your big mantras during the last year. Just like the post above!
LMK5
calpoly said:

LMK5 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

LMK5 said:

You're a reasonable guy. How do you feel about the teachers unions--especially in the Bay area--exploiting local kids in the name of Covid safety? It's a perfect example of how it can go too far. Should they be able to force schools closed because they say they fear for their own personal safety, despite all available evidence?
Almost ALL of your posts are about controlling peoples behavior. People should go back to work during a pandemic because YOU are inconvenienced has been one of your big mantras during the last year. Just like the post above!
How was I inconvenienced by people not going back to work, genius? You do realize that there are people on this board who have not been able to get their kids into school because of the teachers' intransigence, don't you? What do you say to them? Try to focus. Go ahead and tell us that the teachers have every right to keep Bay area kids from being in class.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.