Poll Shows Gavin Newsom In Serious Danger Of Getting Recalled

8,458 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by sycasey
Anarchistbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I thought there was no chance but seeing the ads about right wing extremists means he's nationalizing this puny thing and is in trouble.
bearister
I am voting "No" on the recall, and then, as a Cal grad, casting a write in vote for the bear that ate John Cox, May God Rest His Soul!

*Has tRump considered using animals as props on the 2024 Campaign Trail?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Big C

He TOTALLY could go down:

a) low turn-out by his supporters, most of whom are tepid right now
b) people who might normally be on the fence, or just not vote, see a chance to say "screw you" to power

No way it would be like this, were it not for his French Laundry dinner. One of the biggest silly political mistakes ever.

Newsome is fine, or, if he isn't, certainly not "un-fine" enough to be kicked out before his term is up.
Maybe the upshot of this will be that California gets rid of, or at least revamps this ridiculous recall thing.
concordtom
IF Newsom does not get 50.1% of the vote, it will go to someone who got, say, 20%.
The case will then go to the supreme court and be shot down.

20% doesn't beat 49.9%

Good luck, suckers.
bearister
According to Dan Walters column in the East Bay Times this morning, this is what happens if Larry Elder wins:

"Conversely, were Elder to top the field and succeed Newsom, the Capitol would be tied up in knots for more than a year as he attempted to impose his will and Democrats thwarted him at every turn. Governors have a lot of potential power, but using it depends on having a cooperative Legislature.

As governor, Elder might attempt to emulate Newsom by wielding emergency powers, but the Legislature would immediately void them. He could try to replace top-level administration officials, but his appointees would have to win state Senate confirmation and it would certainly balk. He could veto Democrats' bills, but they have enough legislative seats to override his vetoes.

Elder would submit a 2022-23 budget to the Legislature in January but with three-quarters of the Legislature, Democrats could enact their own budget and override Elder's veto to put it in place.

Although Democrats are issuing dire predictions of what Elder might do as governor, he really would have little power to do anything significant. With huge legislative majorities, Democrats could simply wait out the 15 months of an Elder governorship while gearing up to retake the office in 2022."

In other words, meet your new Governor, Larry Elder, aka Governor Eunuch
Anarchistbear
Vote yes to recall and don't vote for a replacement although I look at the profession first and " Cannabis Policy Advisor" and " Retired Homicide Detective" look like they have the right stuff. I also like "hairstylist" since she suffered under Newsom's tyrannical rule.
bearister
Anarchistbear said:

Vote yes to recall and don't vote for a replacement although I look at the profession first and " Cannabis Policy Advisor" and " Retired Homicide Detective" look like they have the right stuff. I also like "hairstylist" since she suffered under Newsom's tyrannical rule.

They say the reason Newsom is advocating not voting for a backup is that under that scenario Larry Elder will win and he will be toastamundo in the General Election if he runs, and he will.
MinotStateBeav
bearister said:

According to Dan Walters column in the East Bay Times this morning, this is what happens if Larry Elder wins:

"Conversely, were Elder to top the field and succeed Newsom, the Capitol would be tied up in knots for more than a year as he attempted to impose his will and Democrats thwarted him at every turn. Governors have a lot of potential power, but using it depends on having a cooperative Legislature.

As governor, Elder might attempt to emulate Newsom by wielding emergency powers, but the Legislature would immediately void them. He could try to replace top-level administration officials, but his appointees would have to win state Senate confirmation and it would certainly balk. He could veto Democrats' bills, but they have enough legislative seats to override his vetoes.

Elder would submit a 2022-23 budget to the Legislature in January but with three-quarters of the Legislature, Democrats could enact their own budget and override Elder's veto to put it in place.

Although Democrats are issuing dire predictions of what Elder might do as governor, he really would have little power to do anything significant. With huge legislative majorities, Democrats could simply wait out the 15 months of an Elder governorship while gearing up to retake the office in 2022."

I think Elder won't accomplish much as gov, but he will be able to cut spending and block garbage that comes thru the state house.

The problem in California is there is no push back. Having an entire state of one party rule is not healthy.
okaydo
Big C said:

He TOTALLY could go down:

a) low turn-out by his supporters, most of whom are tepid right now
b) people who might normally be on the fence, or just not vote, see a chance to say "screw you" to power

No way it would be like this, were it not for his French Laundry dinner. One of the biggest silly political mistakes ever. Newsome is fine, or, if he isn't, certainly not "un-fine" enough to be kicked out before his term is up.

Maybe the upshot of this will be that California gets rid of, or at least revamps this ridiculous recall thing.

I wish Democratic politicians had aides who were specifically tasked with "preventing doing tone-deaf things."

Like Obama and the party and Biden and Camp David.

BearForce2
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
going4roses
No no no !!!!

Not the blackish person that hates black people so much so to the point of lighting his skin because he wants to be white
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
dimitrig
MinotStateBeav said:

I think Elder won't accomplish much as gov, but he will be able to cut spending and block garbage that comes thru the state house.

The problem in California is there is no push back. Having an entire state of one party rule is not healthy.

Two of the biggest Republican yahoos in government, McCarthy and Nunes, are from California.

MinotStateBeav
dimitrig said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Two of the biggest Republican yahoos in government, McCarthy and Nunes, are from California.

Those are national offices. They have no effect on the internal workings of the california government.
dimitrig
MinotStateBeav said:

dimitrig said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Those are national offices. They have no effect on the internal workings of the california government.

They prove that the Republican Party still has clout in California.

They are national offices, but they are elected locally.

helltopay1
Roses: if a black conservative really wants to be "white', does a white liberal really want to be 'black."
going4roses
I'm going to stay on topic elder: his bootlicking mindset is the problem.

Any black person in skin color who's sole purpose is adulation if white people who identify with the kkk/proud boys/tea party is trouble. He hates himself he lacks knowledge of self he is not a man he is a yes stoolie for his racist white handlers
Unit2Sucks
Serious question: does the law prohibit Newsom from running in the recall as a candidate? Can people write him in?
okaydo
going4roses
I'm even more confused now lol
MinotStateBeav
okaydo said:

Lol I like him more thanks
going4roses
And that's just sad
bearister
Unit2Sucks said:

Serious question: does the law prohibit Newsom from running in the recall as a candidate? Can people write him in?

Yes, you can write him in, but it won't be counted.

" Write-in votes will be counted only for people who have filed the papers necessary to qualify as candidates. That anti-recall statement you think you're making by writing in Newsom's name on the ballot? No one will know about it because your vote won't be recorded.

Not that it's hard to qualify as a write-in candidate. Under state law, all it takes are a few formal attestations about who you are and what you're running for, along with the signatures of 65 to 100 registered voters.

But Newsom is barred by law from being a candidate to replace himself. Meanwhile, with Newsom and his party calling for other Democratic officeholders to stay on the sidelines, prominent Democrats would face a potential political backlash if they filed the papers necessary to be a write-in." LA Times
Unit2Sucks
bearister said:

Unit2Sucks said:

" Write-in votes will be counted only for people who have filed the papers necessary to qualify as candidates. That anti-recall statement you think you're making by writing in Newsom's name on the ballot? No one will know about it because your vote won't be recorded.

Not that it's hard to qualify as a write-in candidate. Under state law, all it takes are a few formal attestations about who you are and what you're running for, along with the signatures of 65 to 100 registered voters.

But Newsom is barred by law from being a candidate to replace himself. Meanwhile, with Newsom and his party calling for other Democratic officeholders to stay on the sidelines, prominent Democrats would face a potential political backlash if they filed the papers necessary to be a write-in." LA Times
Thanks for posting bearister. That's a shame because Newsom would definitely win as a candidate over the rest of these clowns. Our recall election is essentially a vote of no-confidence but rather than pick a new winner we pick an even bigger loser. I will concede that the Governator actually worked out just fine, surprisingly so, but hard to imagine anyone in the current field being anything but a zero in the governor's mansion.
hanky1
Can't stop laughing
sycasey
bearister said:

Sounds like what happened to Schwarzenegger early on, until he calmed down and moderated his approach (and was surprisingly successful after that).
going4roses
Big C
Unit2Sucks said:

bearister said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Thanks for posting bearister. That's a shame because Newsom would definitely win as a candidate over the rest of these clowns. Our recall election is essentially a vote of no-confidence but rather than pick a new winner we pick an even bigger loser. I will concede that the Governator actually worked out just fine, surprisingly so, but hard to imagine anyone in the current field being anything but a zero in the governor's mansion.

Schwarzenegger ended up being The Last Moderate in America. Not that he would be invited nowadays, but I'd love to hear him address the Republican Convention again, just to witness their reaction when he would say...

"Does wearing a mask disturb your 'freedom' a little bit? No, SCREW your freedom! Freedom comes with obligations and responsibilities... "
BearForce2

Who then is the white face of black supremacy?
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
Eastern Oregon Bear
BearForce2 said:

It don't work that way, homie.
going4roses
There isn't one because there is no such thing.

There is only one slave master(group) and one enslaved (group).

You need to take a course in CRT. Then you would learn about non racist/ws propaganda
hanky1
BearForce2 said:

"Anyone who disagrees with me is a white supremacist! Even if they're black! Rawrrrr!!!"

going4roses
I'll just consider the source
BearForce2
going4roses said:

I'll just consider the source

Like clockwork.
going4roses
MinotStateBeav
awesome.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.