Off Topic Board Going Forward

8,095 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Big C
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Look at y'all.
Mgmt asks to clean it up and it's just more mudslinging.

For the record, I never advocated murder. That's a lie, oski003.
Yes, dajo, I had a 1 month timeout 2 years ago after I posted photos of various dictators who'd been assassinated. They were bloody graphic photos of Mussolini, Saddam, and Kaddafi (who incidentally my stepfather claimed 15 years ago to have played tennis with in Libya when he was a mere prince of 20 something - oil biz.). In that post, I said, roughly, "this is what happens to tyrants" and "I wouldn't be surprised if this is what happens..."
...Essentially, mob scene insanity uprising murders. (Never imagined the mob would be Trump's army, but that's another subject.)
I extended the timeout to maybe 7 months before I asked back in.

At other times, I have said I would be happy when Trump dies. That remains true.
I have also explored openly the concept of political assassination in terms of Valkyrie, for example. "If you had the chance to take out Hitler in 1935, would you?" I'm ringing your memory bells now, I know.
It's a great philosophical question, of course. It runs against our religious foundation, our laws and our innate moral code: Thou shalt not kill.
Yet, Hitler's machine killed millions upon millions. OF COURSE, the philosophical answer is OF COURSE you would have to take out Hitler, as a Monday morning quarterback.

Of course, none of us know the future. But I was stating that Trump looks like Hitler to me.
Okay, so that's off limits here, too!
Fine. I have no problem with reserving such considerations, the likes of which are for a word far beyond my simple existence, to the deep recesses of my imagination and keeping OT from becoming a breading ground for radical thought. My bad there!

But let's not turn that into "Tom called for violence".

On many occasions I have typed that I am at heart a pacifist who has never punched anyone out of anger other than my brother, even when twice slugged in the face in public - "why did you do that?" to diffuse.

So, look here.
I said in another thread that WE have all created our own HELL here at BI OT. Let's NOT do that.
Let's stop insulting each other.
Let's address issues honestly.
Let's consider the other person as a human, just sitting there on their phone or keyboard looking for something to occupy their time and mind.

We all have families.
We all have valuable life experiences. Successes, failures, hurts and loves.
We are all humans capable of hurting one another, or lifting one another up.
Let's see the human, not the anonymous screen name, and choose the positive pathway there.

It's clear we all get something out of this forum, else we wouldn't be here.
If you guys want to continue with the hatred and the lies and attacks, I'm out. I can't take it anymore!!!

The future of OT, the choice will be yours, with every post you make. For me, I'll be accountable to myself going forward. I'm turning a fresh leaf. In fact, I already had. I vomited up the puke of what we created, how I reacted, and have sworn it off. Not going back into the BI OT cesspool bar again.

So, what kind of (better) place can we create, together?
Tell me about your day, a project you're working on, a favorite vacation you've taken.
I'll start. I saw a urologist today because I have a kidney stone (again) that has to be removed! Anyone? Anyone?

I apologize to those I've angered and insulted.
Please forgive me.
I certainly hope not to do so again.
concordtom
blungld said:

Thanks and long overdue. This had become like some teenage 4chan board with trolls out trolling other trolls with mindless memes and twitter links and little to no sincere fact-based discussion.

Basically totally yuck with the ugliest loudest voices happily spewing multiple shttposts.

For the record, your absence from this place was noticed.
Nice to see you again!

Perfect description, by the way.
Berkeley. Let's be proud of ourselves, not "4chan yuck trolls!" Lol.
concordtom
Suggestion: mods should create a flag called "mean spirited". Because 80% of the poor posts here are simply that.
I'm asking, let's not be mean spirited.
dajo9
Personally, I don't mind mean-spirited. I just don't like repetitive stupid dishonesty.
concordtom
Can you think of anything a little more inspiring?
Unit2Sucks
I think there are two main problems here.

First, far too many posters only engage in bad faith. There are some people I disagree with who continue to post what they believe in good faith based on reasonable ascertainment of facts and believable opinions. People can engage in discourse with that understanding but there is no point to discourse with bad faith trolls, of which there are too many here.

Second - we have a recurring poster who has been banned but continues to create new accounts. It should be trivial to only permit people to post in OT once they have 100 posts or have been here 6 months or whatever rules you think is reasonable. That would prevent he who shall not be named from engaging in his brand of bad faith trolling and save us from having to ignore several new socks per day or whatever.
dajo9
concordtom said:

Can you think of anything a little more inspiring?

Inspirational isn't really my thing
concordtom
Aw, come on. That's not true!
I can honestly say that you've inspired me here for some time with your intelligent and witty commentary, insights, facts.
I know you always, will, too!
B.A. Bearacus

concordtom
It's kinda repetitive, don't ya think?
I mean, the song AND the endless war of posts.
Big C
Unit2Sucks said:

First, far too many posters only engage in bad faith. There are some people I disagree with who continue to post what they believe in good faith based on reasonable ascertainment of facts and believable opinions. People can engage in discourse with that understanding but there is no point to discourse with bad faith trolls, of which there are too many here.

Second - we have a recurring poster who has been banned but continues to create new accounts. It should be trivial to only permit people to post in OT once they have 100 posts or have been here 6 months or whatever rules you think is reasonable. That would prevent he who shall not be named from engaging in his brand of bad faith trolling and save us from having to ignore several new socks per day or whatever.

I don't know. Yogi hasn't posted too much here lately, yet the OT board has been as bad, or worse, than ever. And, seriously, it usually seemed like the reaction to Yogi was at least half the problem.

I don't think the problem is too many "bad" posters (note the quotation marks, because I don't think they're all that bad); I think the problem is a lack of good threads/posts... by anybody. If somebody ventures here from one of the football forums, what do they see? A selection of old threads that were never that good in the first place, dredged up for who-knows-what reason, mostly all about left-right political differences. These should be drowned out by more interesting discussions, but they are not.

Maybe we're just at a point where we're all burnt out from the past election and the pandemic and we've lost our mojo.
hanky1
Unit2Sucks said:

The biggest problem are posters who name call and insult others.

It's like when they get owned in an argument and they don't know how to respond so they start throwing out insults. That's the problem.

You know who never name calls? Me. I have better, more clever ways to make fun of all of you. lol.
B.A. Bearacus
Big C said:

Unit2Sucks said:

I don't know. Yogi hasn't posted too much here lately, yet the OT board has been as bad, or worse, than ever. And, seriously, it usually seemed like the reaction to Yogi was at least half the problem.

I don't think the problem is too many "bad" posters (note the quotation marks, because I don't think they're all that bad); I think the problem is a lack of good threads/posts... by anybody. If somebody ventures here from one of the football forums, what do they see? A selection of old threads that were never that good in the first place, dredged up for who-knows-what reason, mostly all about left-right political differences. These should be drowned out by more interesting discussions, but they are not.

Maybe we're just at a point where we're all burnt out from the past election and the pandemic and we've lost our mojo.
Big C was hired as a consultant for a football team that was 0-11 going into its last game. After doing some analysis, Big C identified the problem and gathered the team together to share his findings. The team's only problem, he bellowed out, loud enough for those in the back to hear very clearly, was that they needed to score more points. This led to a slow 80's clap and Big C being led off the practice field on the shoulders of the players. The team would finish the season 0-12 and the football program was permanently shut down.
Big C
B.A. Bearacus said:

Big C said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Big C was hired as a consultant for a football team that was 0-11 going into its last game. After doing some analysis, Big C identified the problem and gathered the team together to share his findings. The team's only problem, he bellowed out, loud enough for those in the back to hear very clearly, was that they needed to score more points. This led to a slow 80's clap and Big C being led off the practice field on the shoulders of the players. The team would finish the season 0-12 and the football program was permanently shut down.
Big C was ecstatic, as he always wanted to be a paid consultant, using his supposed expertise to advise people what to do... and get paid for it! After the season, he was able to use his contacts in the old boys' network to parlay that one experience into other paying jobs. Though the consultations never amounted to many wins in the classical sense, Big C came to learn that a "successful" consultant is one who somehow keeps getting paid. Big C also enjoys, for some odd reason, referring to himself in the third person. Also, helping to take threads on silly tangents. Also, writing about himself.
concordtom
Brilliant!
concordtom
hanky1 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

It's like when they get owned in an argument and they don't know how to respond so they start throwing out insults. That's the problem.

You know who never name calls? Me. I have better, more clever ways to make fun of all of you. lol.

Okay, see, that last sentence is no good in my opinion. I'd ask that we not try to needle (make fun of) each other. That's just mean spirited. Does it make the world a better place to insult somebody?

I was going to say, for me, the biggest problem is that one side dismisses truth as Fake News, won't even engage in honest back and forth discussion of veritable facts.

Maybe we can make progress and improve. I'm not going to insult people, and I hope others don't insult me. I apologize for past transgressions. Life is to be enjoyed. Let's make the best of it, even if we are on Big C's 0-12 team.
dajo9
Big C said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Big C said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Big C was ecstatic, as he always wanted to be a paid consultant, using his supposed expertise to advise people what to do... and get paid for it! After the season, he was able to use his contacts in the old boys' network to parlay that one experience into other paying jobs. Though the consultations never amounted to many wins in the classical sense, Big C came to learn that a "successful" consultant is one who somehow keeps getting paid. Big C also enjoys, for some odd reason, referring to himself in the third person. Also, helping to take threads on silly tangents. Also, writing about himself.

G-D interns
dajo9
concordtom said:

hanky1 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Okay, see, that last sentence is no good in my opinion. I'd ask that we not try to needle (make fun of) each other. That's just mean spirited. Does it make the world a better place to insult somebody?

I was going to say, for me, the biggest problem is that one side dismisses truth as Fake News, won't even engage in honest back and forth discussion of veritable facts.

Maybe we can make progress and improve. I'm not going to insult people, and I hope others don't insult me. I apologize for past transgressions. Life is to be enjoyed. Let's make the best of it, even if we are on Big C's 0-12 team.

Concordtom won't insult you but he may hope you die in a fiery car crash.

Ok, kidding around. I see the apology for past transgressions and I salute you for taking the high road.
82gradDLSdad
dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

hanky1 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Ok, kidding around. I see the apology for past transgressions and I salute you for taking the high road.

Something wrong with wishing friends would die in a fiery car crash? Asking for a friend.
Anarchistbear
There should be less moderation not more. The point of the board is entertainment which Dajo/Htp provide. When people want moderation it is to silence their enemies.
concordtom
dajo9 said:

Only Donald Trump!

concordtom
82gradDLSdad said:

Something wrong with wishing friends would die in a fiery car crash? Asking for a friend.

Or Adolph Hitler! (Attaboy, 82!)
oski003
Anarchistbear said:

There should be less moderation not more. The point of the board is entertainment which Dajo/Htp provide. When people want moderation it is to silence their enemies.

It is like Pac 12 officiating. The more fouls you call, the more you can control the game. Lol.
concordtom
Anarchistbear said:

Ironic coming from someone called Anarchy, which is a breakdown of social rules, structures, orderliness.

I'm not interested in a verbal food fight.
Anarchistbear
Everyone self moderates. If I don't want to read your Wiley Coyote Acme Bomb kit threads to assassinate Trump, I won't. They are still funny though
concordtom
I'll disagree with your posit.

Timothy McVeigh did not self moderate, downscaling to just a truck bomb because he thought that'd be large enough to register his complaint.

People lack decency all the time.
People lack moderation all the time.
We are human. We are fallible.

Rules help make order out of chaos.

Anarchistbear
concordtom said:

Timothy McVeigh did not self moderate, downscaling to just a truck bomb because he thought that'd be large enough to register his complaint.

Are you comparing yourself to Timothy McVeigh? Frankly if the moderators had a heavy hand your delusional comparisons of Donald Trump to Adolf Hitler would have been censored
82gradDLSdad
concordtom said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Or Adolph Hitler! (Attaboy, 82!)

We gotta have a drink someday...and bring lookouts for our cars.
concordtom
Anarchistbear said:

concordtom said:

Are you comparing yourself to Timothy McVeigh? Frankly if the moderators had a heavy hand your delusional comparisons of Donald Trump to Adolf Hitler would have been censored

I'm not comparing myself or anyone here to Timothy Mcveigh. But I think I was saying there's a bit of what made McVeigh do what he did inside each of us. You can twist that for your jollies, or accept the spirit of it. You know, horror movies, revenge thrillers, boxing matches... these can be quite popular things!

You second sentence is, as you say, "censorship" of rational thought, not moderation. Go to google and search "similarities trump hitler" and you'll see many such measured considerations. I'm sorry you feel the need to burn all those pages rather than allow a discussion.

Anarchistbear
Comparing Trump to Hitler is not rational and I'm sure you have googled this a lot.
concordtom
I have, and I've been buffeted by what I've read many times from many sources.
It's fine, we don't have to agree.
But I do maintain that censoring an exploration of history replayed in the modern era is not something BI should be doing, providing the language is not inciting.
Anarchistbear
Nothing should be censored here
going4roses
Anarchistbear said:

It would get ugly real quick
82gradDLSdad
going4roses said:

Anarchistbear said:

It would get ugly real quick

That's ok. I defend your right to post whatever you want.
hanky1
concordtom said:

When have I ever insulted anyone. Please clearly cite

Do you realize how incredibly ironic this statement is?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.