Off Topic Board Going Forward

8,099 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Big C
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sleep well, hanky.
Warriors playing big game tomorrow night. You gonna watch? Think Klay will play?
B.A. Bearacus
hanky1 said:

When have I ever insulted anyone. Please clearly cite

The last thing he said was that he never insulted anyone on BI. He was then helped into a straightjacket.
Eastern Oregon Bear
B.A. Bearacus said:

hanky1 said:

The last thing he said was that he never insulted anyone on BI. He was then helped into a straightjacket.
I don't think it would take very long to find times when hanky1 insulted people, but to find them, I'd have reread his old posts. No thanks. Once was enough.
hanky1
B.A. Bearacus said:

hanky1 said:

Laughing at people in amusement is not the same as insulting them.
concordtom
B.A. Bearacus said:

hanky1 said:

Also a put down.
concordtom
CNN just ran a short story relative to this problem of culture and how it is progressively turning more negative:

Facebook running ads, accepting payment for, pro-violence memes. Some were 1941 vaccine Holocaust ones, taken down after a complaint. But they allowed this anti-capitalist one:

https://bucktee.com/product/make-hanging-traitors-great-again-hat-cap

Oh wait. I just realized. Traitors not Traders.
Gee, that may be even worse, since anyone who voted for Biden was deemed a "traitor".
Either way, can you imagine if such messaging ran on cbs, abc?

Earl Nightengale: "we become what we think about."

Go ahead and mock me. I get it. Fair enough.
Then let's try and clean it up.
calbearinamaze
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

hanky1 said:

I don't think it would take very long to find times when hanky1 insulted people, but to find them, I'd have reread his old posts. No thanks. Once was enough.
+1000

I started down that extremely DARK rabbit-hole, but then I heard this over the airwaves...

If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
concordtom
It hits me often these days.... lots of songs in this era ... women singing lyrically about "oh baby please come back to me, I'll be good, I'm better than her, I'll be here waiting for you and will make everything nice."

It's quite the contrast to how things are today. Young women be like "F You if you're going off to some other person." As they should.
B.A. Bearacus
concordtom said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

hanky1 said:

Also a put down.

An absurd statement insulting the intelligence of everyone on BI was made and I commented on it.
blungld
Unit2Sucks said:

...we have a recurring poster who has been banned but continues to create new accounts. It should be trivial to only permit people to post in OT once they have 100 posts or have been here 6 months...
Mods, why can't we do this? This is a great idea. What ruins the discussion OT is sock puppets, hiding identity, deluging a thread, a single poster not standing behind their posts. I love the idea of a threshold of activity before posting, and also maybe a ban on sock puppets and back to back posts or self-replay. There is just way too much trolling and meming.

Or how about we break all internet conventions and only allow posters to post with their real name, or at least being "certified by the mods as a unique and real person who can have consequences for trolling and general ****ery.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
concordtom
B.A. Bearacus said:

concordtom said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

hanky1 said:

Also a put down.

An absurd statement insulting the intelligence of everyone on BI was made and I commented on it.

I know.
I respect you, BA.
All I know is that it's a never ending circle. All I could think of re your straight jacket comment was what Hanky said: clever.

We don't have to lob back and forth "You're a ******* a**hole", and "why don't you come say that to my face" in order to achieve the same thing. Instead, we've learned here how to say the same thing by being "clever".

I was "clever" when I said that Trump *could* be killed.
HTP thinks he's a clever provocateur and he has stated he likes to needle us.
Hanky says he likes getting under people's skin by being "clever".

I'm just asking, in the pained plea of Rodney King: "can't we all just get along?"
bearister
I will always consider this one of my greatest accomplishments in life (text copy and pasted from an email I received):

" Hello,

Your account has been permanently de- activated for going against the Community Guidelines.

You are no longer allowed to post on the Daily Mail or other Associated Newspapers Ltd sites using this or any other user.

Regards,
Senior Community Editor
Daily Mail"

*Have you ever read what they allow in the DM comments? I was targeted as a tRump basher.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
prospeCt
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/nov/18/jazz-star-charles-lloyd-im-a-seeker-trying-to-change-the-world-with-sound

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/oakland-raiders/x5resv/picture26917654/ALTERNATES/FREE_960/AP_8012280205
calbearinamaze
hanky1 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

hanky1 said:

Laughing at people in amusement is not the same as insulting them.
Very interesting statement.

*** What definition of "insulting" are you using?
*** Have you or someone you care about ever been laughed AT?

B.A. Bearacus
blungld said:

Unit2Sucks said:

...we have a recurring poster who has been banned but continues to create new accounts. It should be trivial to only permit people to post in OT once they have 100 posts or have been here 6 months...
Mods, why can't we do this? This is a great idea. What ruins the discussion OT is sock puppets, hiding identity, deluging a thread, a single poster not standing behind their posts. I love the idea of a threshold of activity before posting, and also maybe a ban on sock puppets and back to back posts or self-replay. There is just way too much trolling and meming.

Or how about we break all internet conventions and only allow posters to post with their real name, or at least being "certified by the mods as a unique and real person who can have consequences for trolling and general ****ery.

Or just create a "Yogi" button.
Big C
Anarchistbear said:

There should be less moderation not more. The point of the board is entertainment which Dajo/Htp provide. When people want moderation it is to silence their enemies.

I am 100% with Anarchistbear on this (and 71% of his other ideas, as well). If you want to make this forum better, make good contributions to it. If you don't like some posts/posters, call them on it selectively, or, better yet, don't pay any attention to them. Difficult for many: Try and find the good in people and let a lot of the "bad" go.
sycasey
Big C said:

Anarchistbear said:

There should be less moderation not more. The point of the board is entertainment which Dajo/Htp provide. When people want moderation it is to silence their enemies.

I am 100% with Anarchistbear on this (and 71% of his other ideas, as well). If you want to make this forum better, make good contributions to it. If you don't like some posts/posters, call them on it selectively, or, better yet, don't pay any attention to them.
"Don't pay any attention" works less well when certain posters start spamming the board with posts and threads.
Big C
sycasey said:

Big C said:

Anarchistbear said:

I am 100% with Anarchistbear on this (and 71% of his other ideas, as well). If you want to make this forum better, make good contributions to it. If you don't like some posts/posters, call them on it selectively, or, better yet, don't pay any attention to them.
"Don't pay any attention" works less well when certain posters start spamming the board with posts and threads.

I admit that it can be a downer to scan the list of threads on this board and see "the same ol' shxt". But what that means for me is that there are just certain threads that I am not going to click on. For example, anything to do with "Jussie Smollett".
Anarchistbear
sycasey said:

Big C said:

Anarchistbear said:

Concordtom was "spamming" the board every day during Trump as were others. There is Democrat spam and Republican spam. So what?
Anarchistbear
Big C said:

Anarchistbear said:

I am 100% with Anarchistbear on this (and 71% of his other ideas, as well). If you want to make this forum better, make good contributions to it. If you don't like some posts/posters, call them on it selectively, or, better yet, don't pay any attention to them. Difficult for many: Try and find the good in people and let a lot of the "bad" go.

How do I get to 77%?
sycasey
Anarchistbear said:

sycasey said:

Big C said:

Anarchistbear said:

Concordtom was "spamming" the board every day during Trump as were others. There is Democrat spam and Republican spam. So what?
Sometimes he'd have a burst of replies within a single topic (usually responding to different posts individually), but I don't think he was constantly creating new topics or repeatedly posting nothing but a Twitter link in the way BF2 or htp were.
B.A. Bearacus
sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

sycasey said:

Big C said:

Anarchistbear said:

Sometimes he'd have a burst of replies within a single topic (usually responding to different posts individually), but I don't think he was constantly creating new topics or repeatedly posting nothing but a Twitter link in the way BF2 or htp were.
hpt1 posting a link? He's currently tied with the blind master on Kung Fu for how many links he's posted.

BearForce2
Even if a link was provided, you wouldn't read it because it hurts to. You can't get though reading htp's posts without hurting, that's why you have to ban him.
Anarchistbear
sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

sycasey said:

Big C said:

Anarchistbear said:

It was him - often only him- replying to himself in multiple threads . Trump.. Trump is crazy.. Trump is a fascist. .. Trump is Hitler.. How can we get rid of Trump? .. Mussolini was hanged..can we hang Trump? Then there were the multiple Wiley Coyote assasination kits.

It was like multiple crazy stream of consciousness thoughts put into prose. I don't find posting Twitter links as looney, though it's not as entertaining as the best of Tom. Again who cares? We all know what these threads are before reading - Republican spam or Democrat spam. Boring, mostly, but without them there would be zero posts
calbearinamaze
BearForce2 said:

Even if a link was provided, you wouldn't read it because it hurts to. You can't get though reading htp's posts without hurting, that's why you have to ban him.
BF2,

I got through maybe 60% of his posts. Big problem was he couldn't be bothered to answer any of
my questions.

You're different in that regard.
BearForce2
bearup said:

BearForce2 said:

BF2,

I got through maybe 60% of his posts. Big problem was he couldn't be bothered to answer any of
my questions.

My apologies, I was busy shoplifting due to the pandemic.
calbearinamaze
BearForce2 said:

bearup said:

BearForce2 said:

Even if a link was provided, you wouldn't read it because it hurts to. You can't get though reading htp's posts without hurting, that's why you have

My apologies, I was busy shoplifting due to the pandemic
LOL
Anarchistbear
Off topic board is a misnomer. It is a Republican vs Democrat Board- that's it. The reason less people are here is because most people have little interest in Republican vs Democrat pissing matches and don't see it as some existential battle but as a great writer said: " Two bald men fighting over a comb."

The board should be shut down. It's not what it used to be nor not what we want it to be. Just a victim of the times.
concordtom
Anarchistbear said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

sycasey said:

Big C said:

Anarchistbear said:

It was him - often only him- replying to himself in multiple threads . Trump.. Trump is crazy.. Trump is a fascist. .. Trump is Hitler.. How can we get rid of Trump? .. Mussolini was hanged..can we hang Trump? Then there were the multiple Wiley Coyote assasination kits.

It was like multiple crazy stream of consciousness thoughts put into prose. I don't find posting Twitter links as looney, though it's not as entertaining as the best of Tom.
Again who cares? We all know what these threads are before reading - Republican spam or Democrat spam. Boring, mostly, but without them there would be zero posts

Oh, hahahaha.... I can't read through this even a third time without laughing out loud and tearing up. Thank you, that was perfect!!

Perhaps... Was it my detailed description of how I envisioned the plane landing and circling around to the assembled media... the exit stairway rolled up... the doorway opens, and out emerges a smiling and waving victorious Trump... cameras all rolling so all can see, there as no wires, nobody to push, no nothing... except!.... as Trump begins down the stairway, a gust of wind emerges, and blows the secret notes of Bribery and Embezzlement, written in Russian, out of his chest pocket.... he panics that they'll be blown directly to the awaiting mob of media... the evil media.... and so, as he reaches out, he oversteps and begins a horrible - horribly GLORIOUS some might say - head over foot downward crash onto the cement below, where, splat!...his head cracks open like an over-ripened Pumpkin on Halloween...blood instantly soaking the concrete, to cheers of millions watching live on TV, to cackles of hundreds viewing from mere meters away, and to the great relief of the dozens of secret service staffers standing nearby, who offered nothing but an audible "ooops". Instant death!
Trump, a grand man, se fini !!!

I was a poor English student growing up. I never had my words referred to as "prose" before. "Stream of consciousness", perhaps, yes! But never "prose!"
Thank you! I award thee a rare Star to blue your post!

I have graduated to the next level of Life. Or, at least, of BearInsider!
Anarchistbear
BearForce2 said:

bearup said:

BearForce2 said:

BF2,

my questions.

My apologies, I was busy shoplifting due to the pandemic.

Keep it under $950.00 as a misdemeanor or bring a friend
calbearinamaze
Anarchistbear said:

Off topic board is a misnomer. It is a Republican vs Democrat Board- that's it. The reason less people are here is because most people have little interest in Republican vs Democrat pissing matches and don't see it as some existential battle but as a great writer said: " Two bald men fighting over a comb."

The board should be shut down. It's not what it used to be nor not what we want it to be. Just a victim of the times.
concordtom
bearup said:

BearForce2 said:

BF2,

my questions.

I'll answer whatever you got.
Sorry, friend!
Big C
Anarchistbear said:

Big C said:

Anarchistbear said:

How do I get to 77%?

LOL, you probably can't, nor do you want to (and I'm sure you know that). Whatever we might disagree on, I could give a crap. I don't even know that I am right on that last 29%. I just know I usually enjoy reading what you write.
BGolden
Anarchistbear said:

I'd separate out politics to its own board, keep OT for other things.
OT on BI used to be fun and interesting, now I rarely visit. It's dismaying seeing other topics get pushed off the 1st page within a day or two.
Anarchistbear
concordtom said:

Anarchistbear said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

sycasey said:

Big C said:

Anarchistbear said:

It was like multiple crazy stream of consciousness thoughts put into prose. I don't find posting Twitter links as looney, though it's not as entertaining as the best of Tom.
Again who cares? We all know what these threads are before reading - Republican spam or Democrat spam. Boring, mostly, but without them there would be zero posts

Oh, hahahaha.... I can't read through this even a third time without laughing out loud and tearing up. Thank you, that was perfect!!

Perhaps... Was it my detailed description of how I envisioned the plane landing and circling around to the assembled media... the exit stairway rolled up... the doorway opens, and out emerges a smiling and waving victorious Trump... cameras all rolling so all can see, there as no wires, nobody to push, no nothing... except!.... as Trump begins down the stairway, a gust of wind emerges, and blows the secret notes of Bribery and Embezzlement, written in Russian, out of his chest pocket.... he panics that they'll be blown directly to the awaiting mob of media... the evil media.... and so, as he reaches out, he oversteps and begins a horrible - horribly GLORIOUS some might say - head over foot downward crash onto the cement below, where, splat!...his head cracks open like an over-ripened Pumpkin on Halloween...blood instantly soaking the concrete, to cheers of millions watching live on TV, to cackles of hundreds viewing from mere meters away, and to the great relief of the dozens of secret service staffers standing nearby, who offered nothing but an audible "ooops". Instant death!
Trump, a grand man, se fini !!!

I was a poor English student growing up. I never had my words referred to as "prose" before. "Stream of consciousness", perhaps, yes! But never "prose!"
Thank you! I award thee a rare Star to blue your post!

I have graduated to the next level of Life. Or, at least, of BearInsider!

Great stuff . It has a Kerouac, Ginsberg, Burroughs beat vibe.
99 ways to Kill Trump could be your life's work.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.