The Construction on Peoples Park

4,374 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by bear2034
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Glad to see this. Do you think there will be protests and do you think they will disrupt the construction? I once tried to play basketball there in 1969. I was told I could not because it was the peoples park. When ai said I was one of the people they said no. My roommate pulled me away. Get the creeps out.
Go Bears!
concordtom
And where will they go?

I'm not saying that the park should remain as is, but it's a question about what we as a society do about all our creeps, our homeless, our mentally deranged and damaged individuals.

What is our solution to help them. They have to be SOMEWHERE, no?
I suppose we could just incinerate them.
If you are bothering the majority, if you are a drain, a drag, we could just eliminate you by putting you in an oven.
OR, we could come up with a plan.
OR, we could pretend the problem doesn't exist at all. And accept peddlers on street corners, people pissing and pooping, and occasionally getting guns and shooting up innocents.
DiabloWags
concordtom said:

There's already a PLAN.

Berkeley announced their Plan for the People's Park homeless a month ago.
Residents will be moved to a converted Motel via a $4.7 million dollar grant.
42 rooms will be leased at the Rodeway Inn for 18 months.

The City of Berkeley will cover the costs of the lease and non-profit services using a $4.7 million State grant and Cal has committed $2.2 million to cover the last six months.

UC Berkeley to offer housing to homeless in People's Park - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

A similar plan was used in Livermore a few years ago.

Livermore Housing Efforts Show Decrease in Homelessness | Livermore News | independentnews.com

BearForce2
concordtom said:

And where will they go?

Governor's Mansion State Historic Park
1526 H St, Sacramento, CA 95814
BearForce2
concordtom said:

If you are bothering the majority, if you are a drain, a drag, we could just eliminate you by putting you in an oven.
OR, we could pretend the problem doesn't exist at all. And accept peddlers on street corners, people pissing and pooping, and occasionally getting guns and shooting up innocents.

Are you referring to the illegal immigrants flooding through the border every day? This thread is about People's Park construction.
AunBear89
The homeless should follow the example of the hero of this story told by a Tennessee GQP politician.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
oskidunker
concordtom said:

And where will they go?

I'm not saying that the park should remain as is, but it's a question about what we as a society do about all our creeps, our homeless, our mentally deranged and damaged individuals.

There is a plan as to where they will go as discussed below the question, yet to be answered , is will there be disruptive protests.
Go Bears!
going4roses
If you are not a property owner(preferably from the privilege class and or race)

There is no difference between a renter playing on time for 15 yrs or a homeless man woman or child.

It's the layer cake …
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
going4roses
No PSH ? Hmm …
Eastern Oregon Bear
BearForce2 said:

concordtom said:

And where will they go?

I hope you realize that the last California Governor to live there was Ronald Reagan over 50 years ago.
okaydo
oskidunker said:

Glad to see this. Do you think there will be protests and do you think they will disrupt the construction? I once tried to play basketball there in 1969. I was told I could not because it was the peoples park. When ai said I was one of the people they said no. My roommate pulled me away. Get the creeps out.

As far as I know they didn't have basketball courts at People's Park until 1991....it was a big deal because UC's decision to install basketball and volleyball courts in 1991 were seen as an attempt to take back the park. resulting in protests.

And in the footage and photos of people building a park in 1969, there isn't any footage of them, um, pouring concrete to build a basketball court.

Do you have a picture of a People's Park basketball court before 1991?
going4roses
Ahahahahhaha
oskidunker
okaydo said:

oskidunker said:

As far as I know they didn't have basketball courts at People's Park until 1991....it was a big deal because UC's decision to install basketball and volleyball courts in 1991 were seen as an attempt to take back the park. resulting in protests.

And in the footage and photos of people building a park in 1969, there isn't any footage of them, um, pouring concrete to build a basketball court.

There were courts. . Maybe they removed them. I walked over from my apt on hillegass in 1969
Go Bears!
BearForce2
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

BearForce2 said:

concordtom said:

And where will they go?

I hope you realize that the last California Governor to live there was Ronald Reagan over 50 years ago.
Convert to a homeless shelter.
bearister

*Those soldiers are Guard enlistees that decided they liked their odds better fighting hippies than the NVA and VC.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo
oskidunker said:

okaydo said:

oskidunker said:

There were courts. . Maybe they removed them. I walked over from my apt on hillegass in 1969

1. I can't find any old photo of basketball courts. Can you find some? In 1969, they converted a mud lot into a park with grass and a garden and children's play things -- but they were also able to build a basketball court(s) with a flat surface!? Did they have access to a concrete mixer?

2. From The Daily Cal, March 1991:

From The San Francisco Examiner, January 5, 1997 (the author was the Daily Cal's editor in chief in the late 80s):

bearister

Golden One

BearForce2 said:

concordtom said:

And where will they go?

Not true! Governor Jerry Brown and his wife lived in the old mansion from 2015 to the end of his term. Also, Newsom and his family lived in the old mansion for 3 weeks in January 2019.
concordtom
BearForce2 said:

BearForce2 said:

concordtom said:

And where will they go?

Convert to a homeless shelter.

How much room you got?
I bet your property could be put to higher use.
concordtom
1969 articles

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/?a=q&hs=1&r=1&results=1&txf=txIN&txq="People's+park"+Berkeley+&e=-------en--20--1--txt-txIN--------1
concordtom
This 69 article mentions basketball.

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/?a=d&d=SBS19691204.1.27&srpos=14&e=-------en--20--1--txt-txIN-%22People%27s+park%22+Berkeley+"basketball"-------1

You guys should search through the California Newspaper Archive for yourselves or family and friends.
I use it for genealogy.
Newspapers.com is better, but $$$. This is free (fewer papers).
AunBear89
Why would he know that? It's not in his Twitter bubble.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
concordtom
AunBear89 said:

Why would he know that? It's not in his Twitter bubble.

Just like in ww2 Germany, where people were conditioned to believe it was okay to systematically kill Jews, he has been corrupted mentally. Probably will die that way, too.

Sigh. Losses happen.
okaydo
concordtom said:

This 69 article mentions basketball.

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/?a=d&d=SBS19691204.1.27&srpos=14&e=-------en--20--1--txt-txIN-%22People%27s+park%22+Berkeley+"basketball"-------1

You guys should search through the California Newspaper Archive for yourselves or family and friends.
I use it for genealogy.
Newspapers.com is better, but $$$. This is free (fewer papers).

Thanks!

Now I have to find a picture of the Museum of Toilets at People's Park Annex.
bearister
May 30, 1969: The final scene in the powerful first act of Berkeley's People's Park

https://www.berkeleyside.org/2018/05/30/may-30-1969-the-final-scene-in-the-powerful-first-act-of-berkeleys-peoples-park

James Rector (1944-1969)
Eastern Oregon Bear
Golden One said:

BearForce2 said:

concordtom said:

And where will they go?

Not true! Governor Jerry Brown and his wife lived in the old mansion from 2015 to the end of his term. Also, Newsom and his family lived in the old mansion for 3 weeks in January 2019.
OK, I was wrong. My googling fu crapped out on me. The link I looked at didn't mention the more recent residency. My Grandmother lived near the replacement Governor's Mansion in Carmichael that never got used and I thought I was fairly familiar with the whole episode. I rode my cousin's bicycle past it several times while under construction. Since the old Governor's Mansion was widely described as a fire trap back in the early 1970s, I'm surprised it was used again 40 years later.

My original point that BF's suggestion that we send homeless people to the Old Governor's Mansion wasn't the grand political gesture he thought it would be still stands as the Governor doesn't live there now.
NVBear78
concordtom said:

And where will they go?

We start by not letting them freaking dictate to us what we do with highly valuable land that can be used to a higher purpose.

And read "San Fransicko" for insight from a former George Soros organization social worker who saw what we are doing in California cities like San Francisco was not working.

And get ready because what he says is that accountability is needed. Free drugs and free stuff does not help people.
going4roses
Where is the accountability for a financial and political system that allows/produces these known outcomes ?

If people working 40 hours a week can not afford substance seems asinine to blame those with no power no control no ?
Golden One

Since the old Governor's Mansion was widely described as a fire trap back in the early 1970s, I'm surprised it was used again 40 years later.

Under Jerry Brown the state spent $4.1 million to renovate the mansion in 2015. The electrical and plumbing systems were completely updated, and a fire suppression system was installed. Many new security systems were also completed.
concordtom

My original point that BF's suggestion that we send homeless people to the Old Governor's Mansion wasn't the grand political gesture he thought it would be still stands as the Governor doesn't live there now.
and I repeat my suggestion that BF's place could like fit at least 2 more to however many bedrooms he has.
AunBear89
concordtom said:

and I repeat my suggestion that BF's place could like fit at least 2 more to however many bedrooms he has.

I doubt his mom wants that many people in her basement.
DiabloWags
AunBear89 said:

concordtom said:

Lol.

I doubt his mom wants that many people in her basement.
BearForce2
There are no easy answers where to relocate the homeless. But the people who are protesting the construction of the dormitories at People's Park do not want the homeless anywhere near where they live, that's for sure.
going4roses
There are bunch of easy answers but they don't fit the narrative
concordtom
BearForce2 said:

There are no easy answers where to relocate the homeless. But the people who are protesting the construction of the dormitories at People's Park do not want the homeless anywhere near where they live, that's for sure.
Well, it would be an easy answer to send them to your place.
Don't believe me? Just provide your address in the space below, please.

Free Housing by Social Do-Gooder:

Street: _____________

City: _______________

State: ______________

Phone: _____________

email: ______________

Please direct all correspondence to "BearForce Hates Trump" in order to obtain the best 4'x8' floor space available.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.