At this point … what is wrong with these people or is it me ?

4,290 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Unit2Sucks
Unit2Sucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OdontoBear66 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

kelly09 said:

More mayors and DA's like Giuliani and no one in city government like Libby, Lori or Garcetti. Yup, that'll work.
How will that work? Crime is lower in NYC now than when Giuliani was there. Sounds like you think putting more black men in jail will help black families. Do I have that right?
But the perception of crime in NYC is very bad by even the locals. That is the problem.
Perception of crime is always on the rise, regardless of reality. Conservative media is a big part of that. Crime has been on a consistent decline for 30 years yet you believe the opposite to be true. How do you propose we deal with that problem?

OdontoBear66 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

OdontoBear66 said:

going4roses said:

You know data can be used to tell one's narrative
But both eight times the homicides and also eight times being a victim of homicde. What does that suggest?

Pointing out that black people are far more likely to be homicide victims every time white people perpetrate racist mass murders of black people doesn't make you look the way you think it does.

Why don't you tell us what you think it suggests. To me, it doesn't suggest that black children are growing up in a just country where there is equality of opportunity.

It's pretty pathetic and shows that people like you don't value black lives. Black lives matter even if you don't agree.
Couldn't agree more that black children do not have equality of opportunity. I just have different reasons for that than you probably do. None of my reasons relate to Jesse and Al solutions---they have contributed immensely to the problem while enriching themselves.

Sorry but I do value black lives. Your approaches have not worked for decades in urban areas and things keep getting worse, even with more money thrown at it. If the current solutions continue, the problems only get worse as they have for the last 60 years of my life. What is being done is not helping--maybe assisting basic survival, but not assisting in change for the better.

There is a contrdiction in the whims of the Dem Party that protecting school teachers and their unions helps blacks toward equality. Not so. Quite the contrary. Education improvement would be a start.
We can ignore what I think if you believe my solutions are bad. Just tell us what your solutions are and what they will change. We don't need to talk about Fox News boogeymen Jesse and Al, just talk about what you think a good approach is. You believe "my" approach is wrong so tell me more about your approach. I agree improving education is a "start" but what else do you think needs to be done? Tell me how getting rid of unions improve the education of black youths. Tell me how you get rid of unions. Is that with the big bad federal government or will state governments go union busting?

Prove to me that conservatives actually have answers. We heard for years that Obamacare was the problem with healthcare and that Republicans would "repeal and replace" with a fantastic health care law that was always 2 weeks away. We heard the same thing about immigration and infrastructure. As far as I can tell, other than lowering taxes, Republicans haven't authored any meaningful legislation in years. What I think it mostly boils down to is conservatives believing that black Americans have a "bad culture" and that it's not "our" fault. That's why Republicans have no proposals other than to encourage black people to be better.

Prove me wrong and tell me what I'm missing.

Let it start with one simple approach. I would support any effort to change the failure of the public schools that are failing in urban areas. I suspect and hope there are tons of students in those areas who would love to learn and do so at a higher level than they are being taught right now. I also realize that there will be many who just don't care. You need to start somewhere. Public schools, as constructed, are not working. So let the parents of the aforementioned students gain vouchers for high quality charter schools with the best of the best school teachers and in a "safe" environment. Yes, that means strong arming situations that don't work now.The opportunity needs to be provided but not in a harassing culture where education is demeaned.

I don't mean to have the solutions but I can certainly see the problem. Safety, education, and the ability to self improve. Blame the unions? Well they have sponsored a solution that has not worked and fought anything else that "may" work. No assurances, but with the record, a try is worth it.

Oh, and Unit, I need not prove anything, especially to you. I can hold opinions, and I do that. The above is a start, is certainly not bullet proof, but I assure you what the Dems have done in urban America is not the answer. And that is the biggest problem. Don't get me started on crime. With 8 times the homicides per capita and 8 times the victimization per capita, it would be hard to make a start here, but a must. This is not under those horrible Republicans. And even Elon Musk isn't the mayor. I guess all is well in your perception, eh?

And quite frankly the problems that exist are so mammoth that a simple arse guy like me can only try to use common sense but humbly believes the solutions are beyond me. I focus more on my inner circle, maintain that; finding that in itself is a great contribution to society. Individualism!
Do you have any evidence of charter schools reducing crime? I understand how unregulated charter schools are good for the grifters who profit from them but I don't see how they will reduce crime.

As I suspected, you don't really have an answer. You may as well just say repeal and replace black crime.

If we want to reduce the crime rates that black people face, we need reduce institutional racism and increase the opportunities available to them. Investing in their communities is a good start. Black families have much lower household wealth and their communities see far lower public and private investment. School choice is like super glue on a gunshot wound. It's an action but there is no reason to believe it will make a difference.

As I suspected, you don't really have anything useful to offer apart from demonizing government institutions. You are right you don't have to prove anything to me, but if you want people to view your opinion as credible it would help if you could do better than pretending unregulated charter schools are going to reduce crime in any meaningful way.
C'mon Unit, I know you love forensics, but the Dems have totally controlled urban big cities in the US almost without exception for the last 60 years. What has gotten better? What has gotten worse? And with that you wish to throw stones at anyone pointing it out. It is what it is. And yes, it is not only your problem. It is mine too. But the gall to attack any attempt at solutions when yours have failed so miserably is laughable.

As you would say, "Prove" to me that the Dems haven't F'ed it up.
Sure, right after you do the same for rural areas in this country which have been under Republican rule forever. Crime is rising faster in Republican controlled areas than democratic ones. Opioids are destroying rural communities and their economies are failing further and further behind urban areas. Even within red states, the places with strong economies are all urban. Republicans like to virtue signal about farmers and cowboys but other than farming handouts (which largely benefit large corporate donors) they haven't lifted a finger in decades to help.

What are Republicans going to repeal and replace to help their constituents? I think we both know the Republican Party doesn't have any answers and isn't focused on the problems in non urban communities.
That is a "proof"? That is any suggestion of solution? That is "I threw a stone at you, so you throw one at me." The attack cr*p makes me step back. No discussion here. Have a pleasant day Unit.
You dismissed my opinion from the get go which is why I asked about your view. You asked me to prove that democrats haven't f'd it up and I pointed out that the non-democratic areas are even worse. You could connect the dots but choose not to.

I'm not a victim and don't mind the stones you think you are throwing. I have no issue defending my opinions. My opinion is that the Republican Party blames people of color for being victims of centuries of slavery and subsequent institutional racism. They have no interest in changing the status quo because it benefits them and forms a cornerstone of the white grievance that is driving the Republican Party.

Democrats don't have all the answers, far from it, but they at least have evinced a desire to move things in the right direction. If we could all agree that something needs to be done, that would be a great starting point but we aren't even at step one because Republicans think the problem is people of color themselves. Sometimes they blame it on culture, sometimes they come right out and say it, but the core issue is the same. That's why Kelly brought up that black people face higher crime rates. It wasn't out of any sympathy or concern but rather to point out that he thinks black people are inferior and should stop being inferior before blaming white people for their problems. We've all seen this story many times before which is why I objected to his attempt to divert this thread.
going4roses said:

If you are of European decent or European ambiguous looking or a model minorities with "white Supremacy mindset" you guys need to fix it in your own house your own family your own place of business.

White Supremacy is a mental illness that effects everyone some In certain ways versus others. To some it's this to others it's the exact opposite.
I agree that people who want to make a difference need to start at home. The problem is, as I got into above, that people don't really want to make a difference, they just want to blame black people for failing to overcome centuries of pernicious racism.

So many of the people on this board believe that their success in life is proof that they overcame all adversity they faced and that had they been faced with even more adversity they would have figured out a way. They point to black people who overcame the odds and think that any one person should do so. They don't understand how population level statistics work or the fact that we can't individually level up society. The fact that we all know black individuals who became successful through hard work, education and professional careers doesn't mean all black individuals can do so.

Which is what underpins my conversation with Odonto. He thinks he has identified a problem, but he's avoiding looking for the root cause. Saying that education is a problem and that it can be fixed through charter schools is lazy and ignores the root cause. Charter schools don't lift up communities, they at best would help some individuals whose parents help them get in. At worst, they are just a big grift run by for profit entities looking to usurp public funds for themselves, as has been documented for a number of these schools.

The idea that white people opposed to WS can fix other white people is no different from white people demanding that black people fix their own communities without any outside help. Fixing what's wrong with this country is going to require consistent long-term execution against an effective strategy as well as public and private investment and will constantly be held back by people like Odonto who believe in "moderation in all things".
AunBear89
The Republicans on this board , like Republican voters everywhere, have been fed a steady stream of bullshyte about how shyte blue states and cities are and how Red states and cities are so much better.

No actual data to support these claims, but Republicans don't trust facts. They trust what they think and feel and believe. They believe that Democrats are bad, so when Tucker or Charlie Kirk tell them how bad things are in Blue cities…
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
okaydo
AunBear89 said:

The Republicans on this board , like Republican voters everywhere, have been feed a steady stream of bullshyte about how ****ty blue states and cities are and how Red states and cities are so much better.

No actual data to support these claims, but Republicans bod don't trust facts. They trust what they think and feel and believe. They believe that Democrats are bad, so when Tucker or Charlie Kirk tell them how bad things are in Blue cities…

DiabloWags
AunBear89 said:

The Republicans on this board , like Republican voters everywhere, have been fed a steady stream of bullshyte about how shyte blue states and cities are and how Red states and cities are so much better.

No actual data to support these claims, but Republicans don't trust facts. They trust what they think and feel and believe. They believe that Democrats are bad, so when Tucker or Charlie Kirk tell them how bad things are in Blue cities…

Pretty much.
And it's been going on for a long time.
You see it exhibited on a daily basis all over social media.
It blows me away that some of these people claim to have attended CAL.
They display ZERO ability to critically think.
Zero.

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
going4roses
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
kelly09
DiabloWags said:

OdontoBear66 said:

With all due respect, OdontoBear, can you tell me why the highest murder rates are in cities led by Republican mayors?

Murder rates were an average of 40% higher in 2020 in the 25 states that Trump carried in the last election, compared to states carried by Biden . . . and far higher than the "in deep blue" states like New York (only 4.11 murders per 100,000 residents) and California (only 5.59).

At the top of the list are:

Mississippi
Louisiana
Alabama
Kentucky
Missouri
South Carolina
Arkansas

8 of the 10 states with the highest per capita murder rates in the country voted for Trump in 2020.
None of those 8 states have been carried by a Democrat since 1996.

The murder rate in San Francisco was only HALF that of Kevin McCarthy's district in Bakersfield, which overwhelmingly voted for Trump.

Jacksonville, Florida had 120 more murders than San Francisco did in 2020, but received a tiny fraction of the national news coverage.

Jacksonville had 19.78 murders per 100,000
Tulsa had 19.64
Fresno had 14.09
Bakersfield 11.91
Oklahoma City 11.16
Lexington, KY 10.61

New York City was 5.94
Los Angeles was 6.74

Why do you think that the Republicans have failed to make their cities and states safe?

Which of the above had Republican mayors?
going4roses
And always moving the goal post
Unit2Sucks
kelly09 said:

DiabloWags said:

OdontoBear66 said:

With all due respect, OdontoBear, can you tell me why the highest murder rates are in cities led by Republican mayors?

Murder rates were an average of 40% higher in 2020 in the 25 states that Trump carried in the last election, compared to states carried by Biden . . . and far higher than the "in deep blue" states like New York (only 4.11 murders per 100,000 residents) and California (only 5.59).

Mississippi
Louisiana
Alabama
Kentucky
Missouri
South Carolina
Arkansas

8 of the 10 states with the highest per capita murder rates in the country voted for Trump in 2020.

The murder rate in San Francisco was only HALF that of Kevin McCarthy's district in Bakersfield, which overwhelmingly voted for Trump.

Jacksonville, Florida had 120 more murders than San Francisco did in 2020, but received a tiny fraction of the national news coverage.

Tulsa had 19.64
Fresno had 14.09
Bakersfield 11.91
Oklahoma City 11.16
Lexington, KY 10.61

New York City was 5.94
Los Angeles was 6.74

Why do you think that the Republicans have failed to make their cities and states safe?

If right wing media wasn't designed to manipulate you with agitprop, perhaps you would already know the answer.

Perhaps you should be asking yourself why the media you consume is so intent on demonizing progressives by pointing out crime in blue cities while completely ignoring the rising crime in conservative areas. It's almost as if there is something they don't want you to know. When Republicans are president, Republicans think crime is on the decline. When Democrats are president, Republicans think crime is on the rise. The only consistent pattern is that Republicans are being manipulated to stoke their fears.

In case it isn't obvious by now, every single one of those cities has a Republican mayor.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Unit2Sucks said:

kelly09 said:

DiabloWags said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Mississippi
Louisiana
Alabama
Kentucky
Missouri
South Carolina
Arkansas

Tulsa had 19.64
Fresno had 14.09
Bakersfield 11.91
Oklahoma City 11.16
Lexington, KY 10.61

New York City was 5.94
Los Angeles was 6.74

If right wing media wasn't designed to manipulate you with agitprop, perhaps you would already know the answer.

Perhaps you should be asking yourself why the media you consume is so intent on demonizing progressives by pointing out crime in blue cities while completely ignoring the rising crime in conservative areas. It's almost as if there is something they don't want you to know. When Republicans are president, Republicans think crime is on the decline. When Democrats are president, Republicans think crime is on the rise. The only consistent pattern is that Republicans are being manipulated to stoke their fears.

In case it isn't obvious by now, every single one of those cities has a Republican mayor.
Except for the lowest cities, New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco, which have Democratic mayors. Just making it clear for those with a 4th grade level reading comprehension.
BearForce2
Blue cities in red states.
AunBear89
What does that even mean? You are making even less sense today than normal.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Eastern Oregon Bear
BearForce2 said:

Blue cities in red states.
DEFCON RED Non-Sequitur Alert!

Blue cities with red mayors in red states. Right……….
BearForce2
AunBear89 said:

What does that even mean? You are making even less sense today than normal.

The violent crime rate is increasing in blue cities including blue cities in red states.
AunBear89
No, it isn't. Please stop lying.
BearForce2
AunBear89 said:

If you stop projecting, the truth will emerge.
DiabloWags
kelly09 said:

DiabloWags said:

Tulsa had 19.64
Fresno had 14.09
Bakersfield 11.91
Oklahoma City 11.16
Lexington, KY 10.61

New York City was 5.94
Los Angeles was 6.74

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
AunBear89
BearForce2 said:

AunBear89 said:

Idiots use words they don't understand. Don't be an idiot.

And if you need an example of projection, look in the mirror.
sycasey
OdontoBear66 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

kelly09 said:

More mayors and DA's like Giuliani and no one in city government like Libby, Lori or Garcetti. Yup, that'll work.
How will that work? Crime is lower in NYC now than when Giuliani was there. Sounds like you think putting more black men in jail will help black families. Do I have that right?
But the perception of crime in NYC is very bad by even the locals. That is the problem.
Perception of crime is always on the rise, regardless of reality. Conservative media is a big part of that. Crime has been on a consistent decline for 30 years yet you believe the opposite to be true. How do you propose we deal with that problem?

OdontoBear66 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

OdontoBear66 said:

going4roses said:

But both eight times the homicides and also eight times being a victim of homicde. What does that suggest?

Pointing out that black people are far more likely to be homicide victims every time white people perpetrate racist mass murders of black people doesn't make you look the way you think it does.

Why don't you tell us what you think it suggests. To me, it doesn't suggest that black children are growing up in a just country where there is equality of opportunity.

It's pretty pathetic and shows that people like you don't value black lives. Black lives matter even if you don't agree.
Couldn't agree more that black children do not have equality of opportunity. I just have different reasons for that than you probably do. None of my reasons relate to Jesse and Al solutions---they have contributed immensely to the problem while enriching themselves.

Sorry but I do value black lives. Your approaches have not worked for decades in urban areas and things keep getting worse, even with more money thrown at it. If the current solutions continue, the problems only get worse as they have for the last 60 years of my life. What is being done is not helping--maybe assisting basic survival, but not assisting in change for the better.

There is a contrdiction in the whims of the Dem Party that protecting school teachers and their unions helps blacks toward equality. Not so. Quite the contrary. Education improvement would be a start.
We can ignore what I think if you believe my solutions are bad. Just tell us what your solutions are and what they will change. We don't need to talk about Fox News boogeymen Jesse and Al, just talk about what you think a good approach is. You believe "my" approach is wrong so tell me more about your approach. I agree improving education is a "start" but what else do you think needs to be done? Tell me how getting rid of unions improve the education of black youths. Tell me how you get rid of unions. Is that with the big bad federal government or will state governments go union busting?

Prove to me that conservatives actually have answers. We heard for years that Obamacare was the problem with healthcare and that Republicans would "repeal and replace" with a fantastic health care law that was always 2 weeks away. We heard the same thing about immigration and infrastructure. As far as I can tell, other than lowering taxes, Republicans haven't authored any meaningful legislation in years. What I think it mostly boils down to is conservatives believing that black Americans have a "bad culture" and that it's not "our" fault. That's why Republicans have no proposals other than to encourage black people to be better.

Let it start with one simple approach. I would support any effort to change the failure of the public schools that are failing in urban areas. I suspect and hope there are tons of students in those areas who would love to learn and do so at a higher level than they are being taught right now. I also realize that there will be many who just don't care. You need to start somewhere. Public schools, as constructed, are not working. So let the parents of the aforementioned students gain vouchers for high quality charter schools with the best of the best school teachers and in a "safe" environment. Yes, that means strong arming situations that don't work now.The opportunity needs to be provided but not in a harassing culture where education is demeaned.

I don't mean to have the solutions but I can certainly see the problem. Safety, education, and the ability to self improve. Blame the unions? Well they have sponsored a solution that has not worked and fought anything else that "may" work. No assurances, but with the record, a try is worth it.

Oh, and Unit, I need not prove anything, especially to you. I can hold opinions, and I do that. The above is a start, is certainly not bullet proof, but I assure you what the Dems have done in urban America is not the answer. And that is the biggest problem. Don't get me started on crime. With 8 times the homicides per capita and 8 times the victimization per capita, it would be hard to make a start here, but a must. This is not under those horrible Republicans. And even Elon Musk isn't the mayor. I guess all is well in your perception, eh?

And quite frankly the problems that exist are so mammoth that a simple arse guy like me can only try to use common sense but humbly believes the solutions are beyond me. I focus more on my inner circle, maintain that; finding that in itself is a great contribution to society. Individualism!
Do you have any evidence of charter schools reducing crime? I understand how unregulated charter schools are good for the grifters who profit from them but I don't see how they will reduce crime.

As I suspected, you don't really have an answer. You may as well just say repeal and replace black crime.

If we want to reduce the crime rates that black people face, we need reduce institutional racism and increase the opportunities available to them. Investing in their communities is a good start. Black families have much lower household wealth and their communities see far lower public and private investment. School choice is like super glue on a gunshot wound. It's an action but there is no reason to believe it will make a difference.

As I suspected, you don't really have anything useful to offer apart from demonizing government institutions. You are right you don't have to prove anything to me, but if you want people to view your opinion as credible it would help if you could do better than pretending unregulated charter schools are going to reduce crime in any meaningful way.
C'mon Unit, I know you love forensics, but the Dems have totally controlled urban big cities in the US almost without exception for the last 60 years. What has gotten better? What has gotten worse? And with that you wish to throw stones at anyone pointing it out. It is what it is. And yes, it is not only your problem. It is mine too. But the gall to attack any attempt at solutions when yours have failed so miserably is laughable.

Dude, it has been stated OVER and OVER in this thread that crime has fallen in big cities nationwide in that time. Maybe you can engage with that?

As for school vouchers, how does that not just wind up with a lot of money getting funneled into private schools that already serve wealthy kids? Do you propose to only give vouchers to people below a certain income level?
Big C
AunBear89 said:

BearForce2 said:

AunBear89 said:

Idiots use words they don't understand. Don't be an idiot.

And if you need an example of projection, look in the mirror.

Oh yeah? Turns out, when somebody looks in the mirror, that's "reflection", not "projection". Gotcha! And you pointy-headed liberals think you're so damn smart...
Unit2Sucks
Saw this today and it seems to describe the modern right wing better than anything I can say.

BearForce2
Unit2Sucks said:

Saw this today and it seems to describe the modern right wing better than anything I can say.

If you want to believe in unicorns that's fine but it seems like most Americans do not think the country is headed in the right direction, including Democrats.
going4roses
Because of people like you /your mindset everything is getting worse by the second.

Do you want to destroy America ? Would you prefer America burn down to nothing vs simply just being anti "Black" ?
OdontoBear66
sycasey said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

kelly09 said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

OdontoBear66 said:

going4roses said:

Dude, it has been stated OVER and OVER in this thread that crime has fallen in big cities nationwide in that time. Maybe you can engage with that?

As for school vouchers, how does that not just wind up with a lot of money getting funneled into private schools that already serve wealthy kids? Do you propose to only give vouchers to people below a certain income level?
Reading comp sy. Reading comp. Read original post---efforts, monies, chartering in the suffering urban areas. Also nothing said about "private charters". The problem is with teachers unions, public charters are choked.
going4roses
Still talking about everything else. It's very telling y'all can't stay on topic when information clearly points out your faults as a person as a group as a party as a race / non melaninated
Unit2Sucks
OdontoBear66 said:

sycasey said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

kelly09 said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

OdontoBear66 said:

going4roses said:

Reading comp sy. Reading comp. Read original post---efforts, monies, chartering in the suffering urban areas. Also nothing said about "private charters". The problem is with teachers unions, public charters are choked.
Are teacher's unions the reason why rural areas are drowning in opioids? Charter schools are by design only going to impact upper tier students with motivated parents. Hard to realistically imagine that impacting homicides in any meaningful way.

I'm sure there is some very moderate solution to transform this nation to not disadvantage black people and we just need to slowly chip away at regulations that conservatives don't like. Maybe tax cuts for the wealthy will help?
sycasey
OdontoBear66 said:

sycasey said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

kelly09 said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

OdontoBear66 said:

going4roses said:

So you would propose that the vouchers are only good for public schools, including charters?

You know this is kind of how it already works, right? Parents in large cities can apply to regular public schools and also charters in the district. Vouchers don't change anything there. They would only change things if they could also be used for fully private schools. And then you run into the problem of giving money away to private interests without actually helping the less fortunate kids.

This is why I've never understood the focus on "school vouchers." Seems to me that they wouldn't change anything.
going4roses
School vouchers was just a way for money to be diverted away from poor public schools and to pay teachers less .

OdontoBear66
going4roses said:

School vouchers was just a way for money to be diverted away from poor public schools and to pay teachers less .

No it is meant to create public charter schools with better teachers who are paid better to teach students who are seriously disadvantaged educationally and many other ways. Teachers hate life by merit. Their unions hate it more. It is the avenue to quality. And quality is needed for the most disadvantaged in education.
AunBear89
OdontoBear66 said:

Teachers hate life by merit. Their unions hate it more.

When you post utter nonsense like this tired conservative talking point, it makes it very hard to take anything else you say seriously. Republicans have vilified teachers for decades. Under paid, over worked, and hated by half of society, yet you still expect teachers to educate our children while also compensating for bad parenting?

Oh - and they often have to provide supplies out of their own pockets or ask for donations because Republicans keep cutting funding.

Teachers aren't the enemy.
sycasey
OdontoBear66 said:

going4roses said:

No it is meant to create public charter schools with better teachers who are paid better to teach students who are seriously disadvantaged educationally and many other ways. Teachers hate life by merit. Their unions hate it more. It is the avenue to quality. And quality is needed for the most disadvantaged in education.
Look, I think some teachers unions have issues. Here in Oakland I think the union is working against their own interests in a particularly frustrating way. (They opposed reopening schools deep into the pandemic, then when that created a predictable drop in enrollment that now necessitates closing some schools permanently, they staged a one-day strike to protest the school closures. So in other words, having students miss more school to ineffectively oppose the closing of schools. Sheesh.)

But you don't solve those problems with a hand-wavey solution like "public charter schools!" Oakland already has a lot of charter schools (yes, the union opposes them but they exist anyway). The problems are bigger than that. I also promise you that unionization efforts would follow pretty quickly in your brave new world of charter schools for all.
Unit2Sucks
OdontoBear66 said:

going4roses said:

You should do some reading on what school vouchers actually means. If you do, you will find that it's not public charter schools. School vouchers are intended to allow parents to take some amount of their public school funding to help pay for their private schools.

Maybe you are conflating "school choice" with vouchers, I don't know, but it appears that you are confused.

I suggest you do some reading about charter schools and the school voucher controversy before playing the moderation game here.

If you want to watch an entertaining video about charter schools, this is a good starting point from a few years back.

OdontoBear66
AunBear89 said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Teachers hate life by merit. Their unions hate it more.

Teachers aren't the enemy.
Absolutely not. Worked 5 years with two of my grandchildren in the classrooms with great teachers. Even had my own portable with 10-12 sharp STEM students. All different approaches, all good. Now this was in a high socio economic area where the parents had a lot of say and help in the school so they knew what was going on. Every on of those teachers could/should have been paid more by my standard after seeing from the inside. Sadly, I have seen the other side too, with tenure saving a 55+ exhausted teacher of too many years pacing slowly to retirement with an attitude that sucks.

Teachers in the underserved communities I speak need to be of the quality I observed above. Merit does it. Pay 'em more and let those not performing be envious.
sycasey
Unit2Sucks said:

OdontoBear66 said:

going4roses said:

You should do some reading on what school vouchers actually means. If you do, you will find that it's not public charter schools. School vouchers are intended to allow parents to take some amount of their public school funding to help pay for their private schools.
Honestly, this is always how it goes whenever I try to go a little deeper with any "school choice" proponent on exactly how their proposal would work, for at least the last 25 years. I remember having similar discussions in other online forums back in the late 90s (I was a college student then). The people who wanted vouchers could never explain how the private schools wouldn't just vacuum up that money and keep giving spots to rich kids anyway.

It's the same every time: a confused response that doesn't answer the question and then . . . crickets. I could tell at age 19 or 20 that the proposal didn't make sense and it still doesn't.
calbear93
OdontoBear66 said:

going4roses said:

Just on a personal level, I am grateful to teachers and police officers as a whole and they are essential members of our society. Like any profession, there are bad and good members, and, like every profession, the group is painted unfairly by actions of a few.

Having said that, I hate unions who are organized to negotiate against the very same politicians who are so dependent on the unions for re-election. I get the unions against corporations where the leaders of corporations are not dependent on the unions for their jobs. But unions of government workers are inherently susceptible to abuse.
calbear93
sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

OdontoBear66 said:

going4roses said:

Honestly, this is always how it goes whenever I try to go a little deeper with any "school choice" proponent on exactly how their proposal would work, for at least the last 25 years. I remember having similar discussions in other online forums back in the late 90s (I was a college student then). The people who wanted vouchers could never explain how the private schools wouldn't just vacuum up that money and keep giving spots to rich kids anyway.

It's the same every time: a confused response that doesn't answer the question and then . . . crickets. I could tell at age 19 or 20 that the proposal didn't make sense and it still doesn't.
I think we are missing the point of why something like that is popular. Seems like this is a case of missing the forest for the trees.

I suspect many parents feel helpless and powerless to influence what they may view as inefficiency or incompetency of school districts, superintendents, or administrators.

School choice probably sounds good because it sounds like it is giving some power back to the parents. We all saw what happens to politicians who are stupid enough to basically tell the parents to shut up and sit down. Somehow, Democrats have been painted as the party who wants to disenfranchise parents. That is probably unfair, but no one has ever accused Democrats of being good at messaging. And that is another thing working against the Democrats in midterm, especially in the suburbs. They better hope abortion controversy and Republican overreach can sufficiently counter that perception.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.