Biden Jobs Boom

7,435 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Unit2Sucks
dimitrig
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

cbbass1 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

Aren't we trying to bring up the unemployment rate to slow down the service/wage inflation that remains sticky? We don't want a double dip inflation. As such, wouldn't the FED be less inclined to ease anytime soon as long as unemployment remains low with inflation still higher than target?
What "service/wage inflation"??

That's not what's driving Inflation & increases in the CPI. Over 50% of CPI increases are due to price gouging by producers with pricing power.

The inflation leads the wage increases, not the other way around.

I don't think you ever worked in a corporation where pricing decisions are made.

No, the low employment rate and job hopping for better pay created an unprecedented increase in compensation for employees, especially in the technology fields. If you have ever worked for a public company, you understand the importance of operating margin and earnings. The way to protect margins when there is a spike in compensation is to raise prices. You can say executives should not raise prices but instead allow earnings to deteriorate. Well, then the shareholders would sell, the stock would plummet, and directors will find other leaders. And if you are against all this, then stop investing in the markets and put money in a savings account because your investment in pensions funds (who invest in hedge funds) and in mutual funds are driving this behavior.

Corporations will charge what the market bears. They don't wait for costs to increase if they can raise prices, they'll raise prices. There is a lot of data supporting profits driven inflation, which is simply prices going up faster than input costs.
https://www.axios.com/2023/05/18/once-a-fringe-theory-greedflation-gets-its-due
Well, that is misleading. Market will not bear random price increases because there will be someone who can do it better and more efficiently if it is not a production cost driven price increase

We have competition, and as long as there is no collusion, someone who can do it better and can charge less at the same margin will do so and gain market share. But if everyone is suffering from increase in costs (e.g., supply chain shortages that drove most of the inflation since everyone was impacted), all prices will go up and market will have to bear it.

If you ever worked with sell-side analysts who advise hedge funds, you will know the importance of market leaders with value-add who have pricing power. Otherwise, for most things, companies cannot keep raising prices without losing market share if it is not a natural monopoly or universal cost driven dynamic.

It seems like there is a sort of informal collusion going on where companies see other companies raising prices and so they also do it.

During the inventory glut companies were afraid to markdown prices and sold items at auction rather than mark down prices in their retail stores.

At some point someone is going to discount items to gain market share, but right now they are all pretty happy raising prices because they see their competition is also. It's not outright collusion but there's a wink and a nod. Make hay while the sun shines.
calbear93
dimitrig said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

cbbass1 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

Aren't we trying to bring up the unemployment rate to slow down the service/wage inflation that remains sticky? We don't want a double dip inflation. As such, wouldn't the FED be less inclined to ease anytime soon as long as unemployment remains low with inflation still higher than target?

That's not what's driving Inflation & increases in the CPI. Over 50% of CPI increases are due to price gouging by producers with pricing power.

I don't think you ever worked in a corporation where pricing decisions are made.

No, the low employment rate and job hopping for better pay created an unprecedented increase in compensation for employees, especially in the technology fields. If you have ever worked for a public company, you understand the importance of operating margin and earnings. The way to protect margins when there is a spike in compensation is to raise prices. You can say executives should not raise prices but instead allow earnings to deteriorate. Well, then the shareholders would sell, the stock would plummet, and directors will find other leaders. And if you are against all this, then stop investing in the markets and put money in a savings account because your investment in pensions funds (who invest in hedge funds) and in mutual funds are driving this behavior.

Corporations will charge what the market bears. They don't wait for costs to increase if they can raise prices, they'll raise prices. There is a lot of data supporting profits driven inflation, which is simply prices going up faster than input costs.
Well, that is misleading. Market will not bear random price increases because there will be someone who can do it better and more efficiently if it is not a production cost driven price increase

We have competition, and as long as there is no collusion, someone who can do it better and can charge less at the same margin will do so and gain market share. But if everyone is suffering from increase in costs (e.g., supply chain shortages that drove most of the inflation since everyone was impacted), all prices will go up and market will have to bear it.

If you ever worked with sell-side analysts who advise hedge funds, you will know the importance of market leaders with value-add who have pricing power. Otherwise, for most things, companies cannot keep raising prices without losing market share if it is not a natural monopoly or universal cost driven dynamic.

It seems like there is a sort of informal collusion going on where companies see other companies raising prices and so they also do it.

During the inventory glut companies were afraid to markdown prices and sold items at auction rather than mark down prices in their retail stores.

At some point someone is going to discount items to gain market share, but right now they are all pretty happy raising prices because they see their competition is also. It's not outright collusion but there's a wink and a nod. Make hay while the sun shines.

I don't think that is how it works. If you have seen it, you should be a whistle-blower and make a fortune with payment governments are providing to whistle-blowers who lead to huge fines and convictions.

If there is collusion, DOJ and FTC should investigate because that is not just a simple case of pay a fine and everyone goes home. That is hard maximum security prison for executives. I have never worked for a company where an executive was even willing to contemplate engaging with competitors to fix prices at the risk of going to hard prison.

Yes, companies are making bets on future price increases on their production costs because they are thankfully not working in the dark but are seeing price increases from their suppliers and hearing about market trends on compensation.

But if it is just price increase for price increase in a non-natural monopoly situation (e.g., IP protection, high barrier to entry due to heavy government regulation), competitors will leverage that to promote their lower price and gain market share because once they are in their customer base, it is much easier to retain than to recruit.
dajo9
calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

cbbass1 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

The only thing misleading is you interjecting the phrase "random price increases" as if that has anything to do with anything I said. Then you wasted a couple paragraphs batting down your straw man.
American Vermin
bearister
How Biden's big investments spurred a factory boom | The Hill

https://thehill.com/business/4045941-how-bidens-big-investments-spurred-a-factory-boom/
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Goldener Bar

I don't think this lady thinks we're experiencing a jobs boom. But fortunately, Kamala the Hyena is there to pull her away from the microphone.
calbear93
dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

cbbass1 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

The only thing misleading is you interjecting the phrase "random price increases" as if that has anything to do with anything I said. Then you wasted a couple paragraphs batting down your straw man.
That tells me you don't really understand how corporations and market works.

Just snide comment to detract from your lack of knowledge.

Unlike you, some of us have been in actual leadership roles at corporations, have participated in operational reviews, strategy reviews, and prepared earnings calls and Q&A with the CEO and CFO. What you wrote was so removed from how corporations do pricing or what the sell side and buy side analysts consider margins, market share and organic revenue growth that it could only come from someone who has no business experience despite claim of an MBA.

So, tell me, expert, how does market share come into play in a non-monopoly when one player just raises prices to increase profit? Do all others not care about gaining market share or do they collude to increase profit in lieu of gaining market share and despite criminal laws for individual executives for violation of antitrust laws?

You are all talk and no knowledge or experience. I have told you what my experience has been as partner of one of the top NY M&A shop, GC of public companies, and COO of a hedge fund before retirement. Where does your expertise on how companies exercise pricing power come from and the impact on market share?
dajo9
calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

cbbass1 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

Unlike you, some of us have been in actual leadership roles at corporations, have participated in operational reviews, strategy reviews, and prepared earnings calls and Q&A with the CEO and CFO. What you wrote was so removed from how corporations do pricing or what the sell side and buy side analysts consider margins, market share and organic revenue growth that it could only come from someone who has no business experience despite claim of an MBA.

So, tell me, expert, how does market share come into play in a non-monopoly when one player just raises prices to increase profit? Do all others not care about gaining market share or do they collude to increase profit in lieu of gaining market share and despite criminal laws for individual executives for violation of antitrust laws?

You are all talk and no knowledge or experience. I have told you what my experience has been as partner of one of the top NY M&A shop, GC of public companies, and COO of a hedge fund before retirement. Where does your expertise on how companies exercise pricing power come from and the impact on market share?

Yes, what I wrote is pretty far removed from many of the topics you mentioned in that I didn't mention those topics at all. Once again, you are having a debate in your imagination only.

Retailers have spoken of "aggressively" raising their prices and the consumer paying those prices. Retailers have reported record profits. Obviously my comment about retailers charging "what the market will bear" is correct right now in most cases and your narrative of cost-push inflation is wrong in that it is not borne out by the data and comments from company CEO's.

But it doesn't take a CEO to know that there are forms of inflation other than cost-push inflation. Even the smallest businessman knows it. I have a rental unit for which I have increased rent by 25% since pre-covid (after doing appropriate market research - nothing random about it). That is almost all higher profit for me. I am charging what the market will bear in a highly competitive marketplace. Costs have nothing to do with my recent pricing decisions.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurendebter/2022/03/03/even-off-price-retailers-plan-to-aggressively-raise-prices-this-year/?sh=7a5bf9c06e98
American Vermin
calbear93
dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

cbbass1 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

Yes, what I wrote is pretty far removed from many of the topics you mentioned in that I didn't mention those topics at all. Once again, you are having a debate in your imagination only.

Retailers have spoken of "aggressively" raising their prices and the consumer paying those prices. Retailers have reported record profits. Obviously my comment about retailers charging "what the market will bear" is correct right now in most cases and your narrative of cost-push inflation is wrong in that it is not borne out by the data and comments from company CEO's.

But it doesn't take a CEO to know that there are forms of inflation other than cost-push inflation. Even the smallest businessman knows it. I have a rental unit for which I have increased rent by 25% since pre-covid (after doing appropriate market research - nothing random about it). That is almost all higher profit for me. I am charging what the market will bear in a highly competitive marketplace. Costs have nothing to do with my recent pricing decisions.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurendebter/2022/03/03/even-off-price-retailers-plan-to-aggressively-raise-prices-this-year/?sh=7a5bf9c06e98
Wait - your rental unit experience allows you to claim that the inflation and corporate pricing strategy is based on profit increases as opposed to increases in labor and supply costs? That your rental unit experience is similar to a highly competitive industry with multiple players who are often paying a lot to increase market share (e.g., why many high growth companies are also not profitable since they are focused on gaining market share as opposed to expanding margins to increase earnings)?

dajo9
calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

cbbass1 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

Wait - your rental unit experience allows you to claim that the inflation and corporate pricing strategy is based on profit increases as opposed to increases in labor and supply costs? That your rental unit experience is similar to a highly competitive industry with multiple players who are often paying a lot to increase market share (e.g., why many high growth companies are also not profitable since they are focused on gaining market share as opposed to expanding margins to increase earnings)?

Well, I wrote 3 paragraphs and provided a link but somehow you only read 1 paragraph and ignored the link. No wonder it is so hard for you to pick up on recent events.
American Vermin
calbear93
dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

cbbass1 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

Well, I wrote 3 paragraphs and provided a link but somehow you only read 1 paragraph and ignored the link. No wonder it is so hard for you to pick up on recent events.
OK, you provided a link like you provided a link to show that inflation was transitory when I said inflation is sticky and will lead to aggressive interest rate hike

So, tell me, expert, why a company in a highly competitive industry can just raise prices to increase profit without a competitor leveraging that to steal market share that are easier to retain than to lose unless a competitor does something stupid like raise prices just for more profit and divorced from actual costs?

Was that your experience from your leadership roles within large companies? Because that is nothing like the way it actually happens from someone like me with actual experience.
dajo9
calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

cbbass1 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

OK, you provided a link like you provided a link to show that inflation was transitory when I said inflation is sticky and will lead to aggressive interest rate hike

So, tell me, expert, why a company in a highly competitive industry can just raise prices to increase profit without a competitor leveraging that to steal market share that are easier to retain than to lose unless a competitor does something stupid like raise prices just for more profit and divorced from actual costs?

Was that your experience from your leadership roles within large companies? Because that is nothing like the way it actually happens from someone like me with actual experience.

Every time you lose an argument with me you start talking about something from years ago
American Vermin
calbear93
dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

cbbass1 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

Every time you lose an argument with me you start talking about something from years ago
Because you keep making the same mistake.

This is not a matter of me losing an argument. What you wrote is so divorced from actual experience I have had within a large corporation that it just makes me shake my head that you believe that and still claim to be an expert.

Even the article you posted goes against your argument:

"Retailers have been grappling with a sharp rise in costs, primarily in transportation and wages, that have weighed on profit. Many have taken steps to raise prices in an effort to recover margins and boost profits. To their surprise, they have found that the American shopper is accepting those price increases more readily than expected."

The price increases are being driven by costs of goods and labor, not some desire to just wily lily raise prices because they can despite being in a competitive industry.

So, my point is, you are often wrong about this. You have always been wrong because you think some headline in some newspaper makes you an expert or some random chart supplants history or actual practical knowledge of people who were actual decision makers and not some twitter hero. But you do not let your lack of actual experience deter from your acting like an expert based on having read some theory or headline. And that is why I keep bringing up all the times history has proven you wrong in our debates, from market trends, equity investments, inflation, interest rate. And this is not something I am predicting. This is something I know from having been an executive and from now serving on a board of a public company. What you write is nonsense and not what companies actually do. But instead of trying to be curious and maybe broadening your horizon from people who are actually doing the work, you think you know better than reality.

And that is what I am calling out.

Only those without actual knowledge or experience would think you are the expert. Anyone with actual experience can see that what you claim goes against reality.
dajo9
calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

cbbass1 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

This is not a matter of me losing an argument. What you wrote is so divorced from actual experience I have had within a large corporation that it just makes me shake my head that you believe that and still claim to be an expert.

"Retailers have been grappling with a sharp rise in costs, primarily in transportation and wages, that have weighed on profit. Many have taken steps to raise prices in an effort to recover margins and boost profits. To their surprise, they have found that the American shopper is accepting those price increases more readily than expected."

The price increases are being driven by costs of goods and labor, not some desire to just wily lily raise prices because they can despite being in a competitive industry.

So, my point is, you are often wrong about this. You have always been wrong because you think some headline in some newspaper makes you an expert or some random chart supplants history or actual practical knowledge of people who were actual decision makers and not some twitter hero. But you do not let your lack of actual experience deter from your acting like an expert based on having read some theory or headline. And that is why I keep bringing up all the times history has proven you wrong in our debates, from market trends, equity investments, inflation, interest rate. And this is not something I am predicting. This is something I know from having been an executive and from now serving on a board of a public company. What you write is nonsense and not what companies actually do. But instead of trying to be curious and maybe broadening your horizon from people who are actually doing the work, you think you know better than reality.

Only those without actual knowledge or experience would think you are the expert. Anyone with actual experience can see that what you claim goes against reality.

What part of the phrase "record profits" do you not understand?
https://thehill.com/business/3756457-corporate-profits-hit-record-high-in-third-quarter-amid-40-year-high-inflation/
American Vermin
calbear93
dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

cbbass1 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

https://thehill.com/business/3756457-corporate-profits-hit-record-high-in-third-quarter-amid-40-year-high-inflation/
Only a newbie would think absolute record profit is meaningful. Seriously, did you truly get an MBA?

Let me see....inflation, revenue growth that is expected (see where a company's stock is trading with revenue decline absent macroeconomic conditions or pandemic), and even the same profit margin will result in record profit.

Does it seem like investors were impressed with record absolute profit? Seriously, how are you calling that out when the profit margins have not expanded as something impressive or unusual? Geez, with record profits in 2022 in absolute dollars in the midst of high inflation sure did result in amazing stock return in 2022. Investors must have been head over heels over the record profits and not the margins.

Yeah, record revenue and record profit in absolute terms are not meaningful. Any newbie investor knows this. It's all about the margins, including profit, operating and EBITDA margins.

SMH.
dajo9
calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

cbbass1 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

Only a newbie would think absolute record profit is meaningful. Seriously, did you truly get an MBA?

Let me see....inflation, revenue growth that is expected (see where a company's stock is trading with revenue decline absent macroeconomic conditions or pandemic), and even the same profit margin will result in record profit.

Does it seem like investors were impressed with record absolute profit? Seriously, how are you calling that out when the profit margins have not expanded as something impressive or unusual? Geez, with record profits in 2022 in absolute dollars in the midst of high inflation sure did result in amazing stock return in 2022. Investors must have been head over heels over the record profits and not the margins.

Yeah, record revenue and record profit in absolute terms are not meaningful. Any newbie investor knows this. It's all about the margins, including profit, operating and EBITDA margins.

SMH.

I encourage you to stop bragging about yourself and educate yourself by reading the experts cited in the first article I linked to
American Vermin
calbear93
dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

cbbass1 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

SMH.

I encourage you to stop bragging about yourself and educate yourself by reading the experts cited in the first article I linked to
I don't think I am the one who needs to be educated. You have never proven actual knowledge and all your calls have gone the opposite way. If anyone needs to be humbled based on past record, it would be you.

And reading headlines have not done you any good, so maybe stop reading headlines and do some actual work in a meaningful way?
dajo9
calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

cbbass1 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

SMH.

I don't think I am the one who needs to be educated. You have never proven actual knowledge and all you calls have gone the opposite way. If anyone needs to be humbled based on past record, it would be you.

And reading headlines have not done you any good, so maybe stop reading headlines and do some actual work in a meaningful way?

I guess you won't actually read the experts who disagree with you. Oh well.
American Vermin
calbear93
dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

cbbass1 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

SMH.

I don't think I am the one who needs to be educated. You have never proven actual knowledge and all you calls have gone the opposite way. If anyone needs to be humbled based on past record, it would be you.

Sure. Read experts who say things like inflation is transitory, market peaked in 2017, and companies' with record profits in absolute dollars in the midst of inflation and corresponding revenue growth means the companies are doing well and raising prices just to raise prices (you know, when something goes from $1 to $2 due to inflation, you should have record revenue and record profit with all things being equal). You say this despite the fact that, with record profits, there was a bear market in 2022. Whatever you are reading is making you dumber. Seriously, get some real experience and not base market dynamics on your experience renting your spare residential unit.
dajo9
calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

cbbass1 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

SMH.

Sure. Read experts ho say things like inflation is transitory, market peaked in 2017, and companies' with record profits in absolute dollars in the midst of inflation and corresponding revenue growth means the companies are doing well (you know, when something goes from $1 to $2 due to inflation, you should have record revenue and record profit with all things being equal). You say this despite the fact that, with record profits, there was a bear market in 2022. Whatever you are reading is making you dumber. Seriously, get some real experience and not base it on renting your unit to dictate companies' market dynamics.

How is the recession that you declared last year going? How is my IT consulting job going? Any other things you want to make up about me?
American Vermin
oski003
I can see industries that don't have massively increasing costs making record profits, but I feel like there will be winners and losers. For example, Los Angeles hotel workers are going on strike asking for minimum hourly wage of $36/hr. Some hotels will go out of business and some will make record profits as a result, as long as people are willing to pay $400+ per night at a branded upscale hotel. I doubt a family run motel can pay cleaners that amount and still make it work. There are also regulations on how many rooms a hotel worker can clean in one day without mandatory OT.
dajo9
oski003 said:

I can see industries that don't have massively increasing costs making record profits, but I feel like there will be winners and losers. For example, Los Angeles hotel workers are going on strike asking for minimum hourly wage of $36/hr. Some hotels will go out of business and some will make record profits as a result, as long as people are willing to pay $400+ per night at a branded upscale hotel. I doubt a family run motel can pay cleaners that amount and still make it work. There are also regulations on how many rooms a hotel worker can clean in one day without mandatory OT.

Do family run motels typically employ union staff?
American Vermin
oski003
dajo9 said:

oski003 said:

Do family run motels typically employ union staff?

They can, and I am more focused on who owns the hotel --An individual or even franchisee trying to make ends meet versus a large corporation who can endure the hardship and pass the cost increases to their customers.
calbear93
dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

cbbass1 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

SMH.

Sure. Read experts ho say things like inflation is transitory, market peaked in 2017, and companies' with record profits in absolute dollars in the midst of inflation and corresponding revenue growth means the companies are doing well (you know, when something goes from $1 to $2 due to inflation, you should have record revenue and record profit with all things being equal). You say this despite the fact that, with record profits, there was a bear market in 2022. Whatever you are reading is making you dumber. Seriously, get some real experience and not base it on renting your unit to dictate companies' market dynamics.

How is the recession that you declared last year going? How is my IT consulting job going? Any other things you want to make up about me?
I was basing recession predictions on PMI trends that were below 50 for consecutive months. What were your reasons for claiming that market peaked in 2017, inflation was transitory, government engendered demand surplus in the midst of historic supply chain constraints will not lead to inflation? Other than recession not having manifested yet, what else have I been wrong about?

And you know full well that I was not the one who made up about your IT job, but truth never matters to you. What do I care what you do? I know you never worked as a leader at a company based on your take on what companies do that is so divorced from what actually happens.

What did I make about you?
dajo9
For anyone with an open mind, here is known radical outlet, the Kansas City Fed, reporting on a study showing the majority of 2021 inflation was caused by corporate markups over and above cost inputs.
https://www.kansascityfed.org/research/economic-review/how-much-have-record-corporate-profits-contributed-to-recent-inflation/
American Vermin
calbear93
dajo9 said:

For anyone with an open mind, here is known radical outlet, the Kansas City Fed, reporting on a study showing the majority of 2021 inflation was caused by corporate markups over and above cost inputs.
https://www.kansascityfed.org/research/economic-review/how-much-have-record-corporate-profits-contributed-to-recent-inflation/
I don't think you know what this means or the importance of the statement of:

"However, the timing and cross-industry patterns of markup growth are more consistent with firms raising prices in anticipation of future cost increases, rather than an increase in monopoly power or higher demand."

That counters what your thesis was, that companies were raising prices because they could as opposed to because of rising costs. Again, you are just reading headlines and not understanding the substance of the article.

Did you read the actual article?

Here is what you miss. Most companies use FIFO instead of LIFO when calculating gross margin and profit margin. Do you know what that means? The gross margins will overstate what they are actually paying in an inflationary state when they have to pay more to replace inventory that they purchased at a lower price before. As such, companies need to raise prices in anticipation of future COGS because when the most recent inventory purchases are accounted for, their margins will plummet if now the higher inventory costs are not met with higher revenue per item sold. Like the article states, the companies are raising prices to reflect the higher cost of goods reflected in their procurement orders, with the higher inventory costs reflected in the margins after the cheaper inventory purchased earlier are depleted.

I don't think you even understood what you linked.
DiabloWags
calbear93 said:

I don't think you even understood what you linked.

Its pretty obvious.
Zero comprehension.
And he has an MBA too.

dajo9
dajo9 said:

Surprisingly for a radical outlet like the Kansas City Fed, they cushion the findings with some pablum to conform to acceptable conservative viewpoints
American Vermin
calbear93
dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

Surprisingly for a radical outlet like the Kansas City Fed, they cushion the findings with some pablum to conform to acceptable conservative viewpoints

You are the one who posted the article and asked reasonable folks to review it for support of your argument. When the conclusion in the article is opposite of your argument, you try to belittle the article. What a deflection.
DiabloWags
Dajo9 is Bearinsider's "King of Deflection"

This is why he's worthless to engage with.

He's not genuinely interested in discussing economics or financial data in an honest or objective manner.
He cherry picks what "fits" his POLITICAL BIAS.

That's been his modus operandi.
Every time.

In this particular case, he didnt even know what he was reading.

dajo9
calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

You are the one who posted the article and asked reasonable folks to review it for support of your argument. When the conclusion in the article is opposite of your argument, you try to belittle the article. What a deflection.

Anyone with an open mind (not you) should read the article and look at the data. The data is what is important. Even the Fed is sharing it.
American Vermin
calbear93
dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

Anyone with an open mind (not you) should read the article and look at the data. The data is what is important. Even the Fed is sharing it.

I can explain to you basic accounting rules, FIFO and how COGS is always behind even with excellent working capital turn, and how public companies report cost of goods, things that a first year student in finance, much less an business school student, would understand but you clearly don't know how to read the data. That is why you see the same data, don't know what it means, and come to a conclusion opposite of the Fed that stated the data to come to the conclusion opposite of yours.

I don't even understand how something that is basics in financial statements that even a lawyer like myself understands is beyond your scope of understanding.
dajo9
calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

I can explain to you basic accounting rules, FIFO and how COGS is always behind even with excellent working capital turn, and how public companies report cost of goods, things that a first year student in finance, much less an business school student, would understand but you clearly don't know how to read the data. That is why you see the same data, don't know what it means, and come to a conclusion opposite of the Fed that stated the data to come to the conclusion opposite of yours.

I don't even understand how something that is basics in financial statements that even a lawyer like myself understands is beyond your scope of understanding.

People like me are interested in data and not the spin any economics or finance educated person can give to data. I provide data on record profits. calbear93 bellylaughs and says only profit margins matter. Here is a Bloomberg article stating highest profit margins since 1950. It won't matter to calbear93. The conservative mainstream is not to be questioned despite the reality.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-25/us-corporate-profits-soar-taking-margins-to-widest-since-1950

I try to post articles from Bloomberg, or Fortune, or even the Fed to try to avoid the "liberal sources" complaint. I know they are likely going to spin the data to the conservative mainstream. Calbear93 has been using that against me. Fine. There are other sources. Data and analysis is data and analysis. Spin is spin.

Nobody is still reading this but me and calbear93, and maybe diablo, but here is more analysis for the open mind. I have provided plenty of sources and plenty of information.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-09/how-excuseflation-is-keeping-prices-and-corporate-profits-high

Bottom line - We have experienced record profit margins with high inflation. It is plain as day this is not solely a cost-push inflation story. The CEO's know it and some talk about it. The small businessman knows it. The economics community and media is coming around. calbear93 is inconsequential.
American Vermin
Goldener Bar
dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

People like me are interested in data and not the spin any economics or finance educated person can give to data. I provide data on record profits. calbear93 bellylaughs and says only profit margins matter. Here is a Bloomberg article stating highest profit margins since 1950. It won't matter to calbear93. The conservative mainstream is not to be questioned despite the reality.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-25/us-corporate-profits-soar-taking-margins-to-widest-since-1950

I try to post articles from Bloomberg, or Fortune, or even the Fed to try to avoid the "liberal sources" complaint. I know they are likely going to spin the data to the conservative mainstream. Calbear93 has been using that against me. Fine. There are other sources. Data and analysis is data and analysis. Spin is spin.

Nobody is still reading this but me and calbear93, and maybe diablo, but here is more analysis for the open mind. I have provided plenty of sources and plenty of information.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-09/how-excuseflation-is-keeping-prices-and-corporate-profits-high

Bottom line - We have experienced record profit margins with high inflation. It is plain as day this is not solely a cost-push inflation story. The CEO's know it and some talk about it. The small businessman knows it. The economics community and media is coming around. calbear93 is inconsequential.
Hopefully the wannabe dictator will do something about it.

That was obviously a joke. Nothing will fundamentally change.
sycasey
Nothing is more entertaining on this board than the p***ing contests about economics.
DiabloWags
sycasey said:

Nothing is more entertaining on this board than the p***ing contests about economics.

I want to know where Dajo9 got his MBA from so I make sure that none of my kids apply there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.