SCOTUS: Turn Over Your Tax Returns Donnie!

1,770 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by concordtom
DiabloWags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Supreme Court on Tuesday cleared the way for the imminent handover of former President Donald Trump's tax returns to a congressional committee after a three-year legal fight.

The court, with no noted dissents, rejected Trump's plea for an order that would have prevented the Treasury Department from giving six years of tax returns for Trump and some of his businesses to the Democratic-controlled House Ways and Means Committee.

Alone among recent presidents, Trump refused to release his tax returns either during his successful 2016 campaign or his four years in the White House, citing what he said was an ongoing audit by the IRS. Last week, Trump announced he would run again in 2024.

Supreme Court OKs handover of Trump tax returns to Congress (yahoo.com)

What Releasing Trump's Tax Returns Tells Us About America (thedailybeast.com)

Trump tax returns: Supreme Court clears way for House to get former president's taxes | CNN Politics
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
dajo9
This whole story is another win for Trump and it shows how the wealthy are able to abuse the court system to create a two-tiered system of justice. One for the wealthy who can afford to make the court navigate on their terms and one for the poor who are abused by the courts with an exensive process. Lawyers create this system. Lawyers benefit from this system.

Trump's tax returns might be given to the House days before the Republicans take it over. Big whoop.
American Vermin
Unit2Sucks
dajo9 said:

This whole story is another win for Trump and it shows how the wealthy are able to abuse the court system to create a two-tiered system of justice. One for the wealthy who can afford to make the court navigate on their terms and one for the poor who are abused by the courts with an exensive process. Lawyers create this system. Lawyers benefit from this system.

Trump's tax returns might be given to the House days before the Republicans take it over. Big whoop.

If the GOP is serious about ridding itself of the Trump/MAGA disease, it will continue the investigations. But since they are dumb, weak and fear his pathetic reprisals, they will whine about him in private and publicly do his bidding. Result will be Trump continuing to destroy the weak GOP with their help.

I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.
DiabloWags
Trump had a BANNER DAY yesterday.

So much WINNING!

The icing on the cake was around 4PM when Trump's accountant Donald Bender stabbing him in the back!

Trump's Legal Problems All Converged Into One Day of Spectacular Failures (thedailybeast.com)
concordtom
dajo9 said:

There's no doubt that our judical system is proving to be lacking!

Is there any penalty for simply stalling and stalling until early Jan when the new Congress is installed?
I imagine he won't turn it in before then, and then Kevin McCarthy's first move will be to drop the petition.
It will never become public. He will never pay for his crimes. Multiple multiple multiple crimes.
WalterSobchak
It's almost as if they lied to him to get what they wanted!

wifeisafurd
WalterSobchak said:

I guess Trunp did a lousy job vetting all those guys who vote against him.

Glad I stopped using my dog as a dependent on my tax returns, now that tax return are fair game.
DiabloWags
concordtom said:

Is there any penalty for simply stalling and stalling until early Jan when the new Congress is installed?
I imagine he won't turn it in before then, and then Kevin McCarthy's first move will be to drop the petition.
It will never become public. He will never pay for his crimes. Multiple multiple multiple crimes.

You're mistaken.
Trump doesnt turn over his IRS filings.
The Treasury Department does.
oski003
Unit2Sucks said:

dajo9 said:

If the GOP is serious about ridding itself of the Trump/MAGA disease, it will continue the investigations. But since they are dumb, weak and fear his pathetic reprisals, they will whine about him in private and publicly do his bidding. Result will be Trump continuing to destroy the weak GOP with their help.

I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.

I agree with the Supreme Court decision, but I am also laughing at how much whining there was here about how the Supreme Court was going to protect Trump in this matter. Salty tears.

blungld
The House Investigation needs to be turned over to the Senate before January so Trump loyalists can't make a mess of it and shut it down.
concordtom
wifeisafurd said:

WalterSobchak said:

Glad I stopped using my dog as a dependent on my tax returns, now that tax return are fair game.
If you are cheating by using your dog as a dependent, you SHOULD have your returns be fair game to public view, to judicial review.

That's a silly thing to say....
concordtom
DiabloWags said:

concordtom said:

You're mistaken.
Trump doesnt turn over his IRS filings.
The Treasury Department does.

And I heard an hour ago that the Senate has a committee with a right to see the same, so it doesn't matter that the House will destroy any interest in the matter.
-Lawrence O'Donnelll show of a day or more ago playing in my ears while I work on other stuff.
Good to know.
concordtom
blungld said:

The House Investigation needs to be turned over to the Senate before January so Trump loyalists can't make a mess of it and shut it down.
Lawrence O'Donnell said that the Senate committee chairman simply needs to forward his request for same tax docs to the IRS, asap (not to the House when they receive it).
I don't know if it'll happen that way, but that's what was said.
DiabloWags
Good to know!
wifeisafurd
concordtom said:

wifeisafurd said:

WalterSobchak said:

If you are cheating by using your dog as a dependent, you SHOULD have your returns be fair game to public view, to judicial review.

get a sense of humor old self-righteous Tom
concordtom
wifeisafurd said:

concordtom said:

wifeisafurd said:

WalterSobchak said:

get a sense of humor old self-righteous Tom

Go ahead, click my link!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWJ5NauDDE2dxf9pcAs1eYrMM5TAbe9mRM0g&usqp=CAU
bearister
Good Daily Mail Summary:

*In any of those matters that end up in the hands of a jury, the jury will think:
"Would tRump do that?"
…and conclude:

"Oh yeah, he'd do that."
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
wifeisafurd
This is repetitive. People get tax fraud and similar greed related offenses. They get mad about cheating. They could care less about inside beltway crap that they have in Congressional hearing. Only people with too much time on their hands care about that crap. The hearings have gotten essentially no traction. It about time Garland got off his butt and moved the corruption investigations along to a special prosecutors and he needs to order the New York federal prosecutor to address the tax and fraud charges of the Trump organizations.

The GOP is about to learn this lesson about hearings being a waste of time with voters with Biden's son. A storm of investigations targeting leaders of both political parties will shape the 2024 campaign, but risks angering voters who just showed their frustration with their priorities being ignored.
dajo9
wifeisafurd said:

This is repetitive. People get tax fraud and similar greed related offenses. They get mad about cheating. They could care less about inside beltway crap that they have in Congressional hearing. Only people with too much time on their hands care about that crap. The hearings have gotten essentially no traction. It about time Garland got off his butt and moved the corruption investigations along to a special prosecutors and he needs to order the New York federal prosecutor to address the tax and fraud charges of the Trump organizations.

The GOP is about to learn this lesson about hearings being a waste of time with voters with Biden's son. A storm of investigations targeting leaders of both political parties will shape the 2024 campaign, but risks angering voters who just showed their frustration with their priorities being ignored.

I have read people argue that Merrick Garland's role is to protect Trump and so far his actions don't refute that. These same people said the same about Cyrus Vance protecting Trump and that proved accurate.

However, I believe the Jan 6 hearings proved hugely important and effective. The midterm elections solidy that belief. Voters showed no frustration about their issues being ignored. The midterms were a great election for incumbents. Democracy was important, as evidenced by all the election deniers underperforming. Abortion and guns were important, as evidenced by the surge of young people voting. What proved overstated was the importance of the economy to voters. They said inflation was important but they didn't vote based on it. Likely because they've been inundated with news about inflation but their personal economies are mostly fine.

One story of the 2022 election is that of the establishment wanting something to happen that simply did not happen. Wifeisafurd is still pushing that narrative despite all the evidence to the contrary.
American Vermin
DiabloWags
dajo9 said:

wifeisafurd said:

However, I believe the Jan 6 hearings proved hugely important and effective. The midterm elections solidify that belief. Voters showed no frustration about their issues being ignored. The midterms were a great election for incumbents. Democracy was important, as evidenced by all the election deniers underperforming. Abortion and guns were important, as evidenced by the surge of young people voting. What proved overstated was the importance of the economy to voters. They said inflation was important but they didn't vote based on it. Likely because they've been inundated with news about inflation but their personal economies are mostly fine.

Agreed.
The midterms spoke VOLUMES.

And Trump supported candidates went down in flames.

As you said, democracy was important as was abortion and gun issues.

They clearly trumped any of the economic hardships that the GOP and Fox News have repitively spewed ad nauseum.

To totally ignore the results of the midterms is just more partisan denial.
okaydo
dajo9
okaydo said:

Are they going to skip the 9th Amendment like the Supreme Court always does?
American Vermin
dimitrig
concordtom said:

wifeisafurd said:

WalterSobchak said:

Everyone knows that cats are independent, but dogs are definitely dependents,

concordtom
okaydo said:

1st reaction: oh, Jesus. That'll be exciting! McCarthy has no legislative agenda, so that's all he can come up with.

2nd reaction: actually, maybe that's good for his audience. They are stupid. Need education.
concordtom
wifeisafurd said:

Wrong.
The hearings were watched by my father and step mother. As a result, they both now also hate Trump.

Great job, J6 committee!!!
concordtom
He's a partisan.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.