Breaking: David Shaw steps down as HC after loss to BYU

4,572 Views | 153 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by concordtom
TheFiatLux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is so disappointing... I wanted to see Shaw's smug face on the sidelines for at least another 5 years... so we could even out his Big Game record...

Shaw personifies the Stanford doo sh bag. Running up the score in 2013 against an absolutely decimated Cal team. Fine, go ahead, I want us to do the same thing to them, but don't pretend you're holier than thou... Not disciplining Skov for his brutally dirty hit on Goff...Ruining so many Big Game traditions...The self-congratulatory cringe inducing TedTalks... Did I mention the smug look...

I'll give him credit. He inherited Harbaugh's program and didn't immediately screw it up. I would take his record in that time period in a heartbeat. But the gravitational force of who he is has been pulling him back for quite a while now.

Just the fact that he's quitting now speaks volumes... Congratulations to Shaw for going out on his own terms, on bottom.
82gradDLSdad
Golden One said:

KoreAmBear said:

Will Furd snag Troy Taylor? That would hurt.

It's nice to know that a coach (even a historically successful one) will resign with years remaining on his contract. Wish Wilcox would do the same thing, although I know it won't happen. Good things don't happen at Cal.

Shaw had accomplished a lot, Wilcox has not accomplished anything. Tough to bow out when you have nothing to take a bow for.
wifeisafurd
DiabloWags said:

Big C said:

wifeisafurd said:

philly1121 said:

Rushinbear said:

Cal88 said:

He`s earned something like $30 million in his long HC stint at the farm, and no longer has the combination of drive and skill to keep their program at high level. He doesn`t need the aggravation and doesn`t want to further tarnish his legacy there, good move for him.
will his commits stick? Failing team. Failing program. Failing commitment to football by fraud. You'd think a couple of them, at least, might be swayed by our rising program and new OC and OL coach, whoever they may be.

We should have the new guys by the big recruiting weekend Dec. 3/4. Will any of them attend, too?

'Course, this is Cal and...

Our rising program? Our program has no mission. Shaw was probably overrated and may have reached his expiration date a year or two earlier. But he may be seeing the writing on the wall with NIL and conference realignment.
You don't give up $9 million a year in overall compensation because things will get harder. This "I just decided to quit" commentary by Shaw seems orchestrated

Interesting theory. You're our guy down there: Can you make a few calls and report back?

He quit 1 hour after their final game.
It was planned.

"A week ago, 10 days ago, I was gung-ho to be the person to lead us there, and over the last few days I realized it was time," Shaw said. "It was time for me to step aside, time for the next group to come in, and hopefully whoever they hire next wins more games than I do. That would be awesome."

'It's time'; Long-time Stanford coach David Shaw resigns after disappointing season - CBS San Francisco (cbsnews.com)

No on timing. Read you're PM.
Unit2Sucks
When I said Wilcox might resign rather than continue to post disappointing seasons, I was told that it never happens.

I guess sometimes it does?
bearsandgiants
Fingers crossed they interview Wilcox.
calumnus
bearsandgiants said:

They might, just to trigger the Knowlton automatic extension reflex, so then instead of 5 more years it is 8 more years.
Big C
Unit2Sucks said:

When I said Wilcox might resign rather than continue to post disappointing seasons, I was told that it never happens.

I guess sometimes it does?

Pure speculation, but I'm guessing this was a mutual parting of the ways. I doubt if he is walking away leaving 100% of his remaining salary on the table. But your larger point has some validity and I said it, too: A Wilcox or a Fox might leave before their contract is up, accepting a "going away present" that is significantly less than their contracted (non)buyout.

When you have a several million, is it really worth it to be frustrated and miserable, just to get several more? Answer: maybe, maybe not
StrawberryCanyon
Econ141 said:

Holy crap - we are screwed. The bottom dwellers - Colorado, ASU, and Stanford are off to the races fixing their problems and here we are treading water.
Yeah, because every single time a team fires a coach, the replacement is a huge success...except for the 1000s of times when that hasn't happened at all
calumnus
StrawberryCanyon said:

Econ141 said:

Holy crap - we are screwed. The bottom dwellers - Colorado, ASU, and Stanford are off to the races fixing their problems and here we are treading water.
Yeah, because every single time a team fires a coach, the replacement is a huge success...except for the 1000s of times when that hasn't happened at all

How many times recently has a coach had a losing record at a P5 school over 6 seasons then had a winning season in his 7th year?
PtownBear1
calumnus said:

bearsandgiants said:

They might, just to trigger the Knowlton automatic extension reflex, so then instead of 5 more years it is 8 more years.

Can you blame him? Handing out other people's money is easy, having to hire someone would actually require effort though. Granted it may be only a few hours of effort as per his last major hire, but why even bother at all when you have a guaranteed lifetime contract.
Cal84
Personally I am very curious how Furd's replacement hiring process will work out. They have the exact same problems Cal would have in filling that position, except their problems are slightly less severe. On the face of it, you'd think they would have a difficult time finding a good candidate. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Oski87
Cal88 said:

He`s earned something like $30 million in his long HC stint at the farm, and no longer has the combination of drive and skill to keep their program at high level. He doesn`t need the aggravation and doesn`t want to further tarnish his legacy there, good move for him.

He was making 9 million per year.
calumnus
Oski87 said:

Cal88 said:

He was making 9 million per year.

Exactly. He has made way more than $30 million.
okaydo
Really interesting deep dive into Shaw.

Mandel, who lives near Stanford, began working pig on this article weeks ago and got to talk to Shaw before he stepped down.

Also, Stanford's strength guy, who was considered Stanford's secret weapon, was fired a few years ago..

philbert

DiabloWags
okaydo said:

Mandel, who lives near Stanford, began working pig on this article weeks ago and got to talk to Shaw before he stepped down.

Also, Stanford's strength guy, who was considered Stanford's secret weapon, was fired a few years ago..

I dont have a subscription to The Atlantic, but I'm gonna guess that one of the factors were "upgraded" compliance protocols that came down after a player sued the University for practicing hurt.

As I had posted earlier in the year, I ran into a young man who was a quality control assistant to Furd Special Teams coach Pete Alamar at a local Walnut Creek Tap Room. He had recently resigned and started up his own punting instruction/training business for prep players with some seed money from Shaw.

He told me how they were literally having practices where half the team was missing, due to the Administration becoming overly cautious about injuries after a lawsuit was filed against the University by a former player.

He also told me that Shaw had already received offer(s) to be a TV commentator up in the booth.

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
okaydo
DiabloWags said:

okaydo said:

I dont have a subscription to The Atlantic, but I'm gonna guess that one of the factors were "upgraded" compliance protocols that came down after a player sued the University for practicing hurt.

As I had posted earlier in the year, I ran into a young man who was a quality control assistant to Furd Special Teams coach Pete Alamar at a local Walnut Creek Tap Room. He had recently resigned and started up his own punting instruction/training business for prep players with some seed money from Shaw.

He told me how they were literally having practices where half the team was missing, due to the Administration becoming overly cautious about injuries after a lawsuit was filed against the University by a former player.

He also told me that Shaw had already received offer(s) to be a TV commentator up in the booth.

It's $12 a year. I signed up for the Black Friday deal last year. And they're still charging me $1 a month. But once they charge more, I'll cancel, and they'll offer the $1 month a deal again.

DiabloWags
okaydo said:

It's $12 a year. I signed up for the Black Friday deal last year. And they're still charging me $1 a month. But once they charge more, I'll cancel, and they'll offer the $1 month a deal again.

I cant afford it.

I'm already paying $11.50 a month for Bearinsider to hear a non-subscriber "Golden One" play Captain Obvious and post 765 times in a row about how Wilcox is horrible and should never have received an extension.
DiabloWags
okaydo said:

Shannon Turley.
He came in under Harbaugh in 2006 and was at Furd for 12 years.

Turned the entire program around injury-wise, but then there was a "reversal" of that in 2018 with all kinds of injuries and the "issue" that I noted (in my post above) about a player suing the school.

He's now at Colorado.

CardinalSportsReport - Stanford parts ways with longtime strength and conditioning coach (rivals.com)
82gradDLSdad
okaydo said:

DiabloWags said:

okaydo said:

Well there you go...Harbaugh and the S&C guy explains how Furd looked and played. Shaw and Wilcox, while seemingly great guys, don't seem to possess that gung-ho, take no prisoners attitude.
heartofthebear
Econ141 said:

makes us good at water polo though
DiabloWags
82gradDLSdad said:

Well there you go...Harbaugh and the S&C guy explains how Furd looked and played. Shaw and Wilcox, while seemingly great guys, don't seem to possess that gung-ho, take no prisoners attitude.

Please tell me that you're not comparing a coach that has gone 96 - 54
and won 3 Pac-12 Titles and 2 Rose Bowls with Justin Wilcox.

DiabloWags
heartofthebear said:

Econ141 said:

makes us good at water polo though

We're the #1 seed headed into the NCAA Final Four in Berkeley.
I got my tickets to the sold out event at Spieker. Just hope the rain holds off.

Men's Water Polo - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)
82gradDLSdad
DiabloWags said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Obviously I'm comparing the guy who took a monster program and had it run into the ground while he was still the head coach with our guy who inherited nothing and kept it there.
DiabloWags
82gradDLSdad said:

DiabloWags said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Obviously I'm comparing the guy who took a monster program and had it run into the ground while he was still the head coach with our guy who inherited nothing and kept it there.

There have been several "inferences" as to what happened to the program in this thread.
I wouldnt even begin to suggest that Shaw was the guy that "ran it into the ground".

You might want to ask yourself why a highly successful strength coach was fired by the Administration.

82gradDLSdad
DiabloWags said:

82gradDLSdad said:

DiabloWags said:

82gradDLSdad said:

There have been several "inferences" as to what happened to the program in this thread.
I wouldnt even begin to suggest that Shaw was the guy that "ran it into the ground".

You might want to ask yourself why a highly successful strength coach was fired by the Administration.

You win. Happy?
DiabloWags
82gradDLSdad said:

You win. Happy?

I've noticed that you have a pattern of not bothering to read the posts in a thread and make a statement that makes no sense at all (ie. putting Shaw in the same category as Wilcox)

Do better.
oski003
DiabloWags said:

82gradDLSdad said:

You win. Happy?

I've noticed that you have a pattern of not bothering to read the posts in a thread and make a statement that makes no sense at all (ie. putting Shaw in the same category as Wilcox)

Do better.

Your statement made sense to me 82. Losing the strength coach doesn't excuse the program's downfall. At best, we can say that Shaw couldn't succeed after his talent and roid advantages were taken away.
oursdor
oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

82gradDLSdad said:

You win. Happy?

Do better.

Your statement made sense to me 82. Losing the strength coach doesn't excuse the program's downfall. At best, we can say that Shaw couldn't succeed after his talent and roid advantages were taken away.
was there really ever a sizable talent advantage? Stanford recruited *well* but those lines looked and played like Alabama during the Glove years
oski003
oursdor said:

oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

82gradDLSdad said:

You win. Happy?

Do better.

was there really ever a sizable talent advantage? Stanford recruited *well* but those lines looked and played like Alabama during the Glove years

Their high school classes over the last 5 years have been around top 25, but they certainly aren't getting top 25 results.
oursdor
okaydo said:

maybe, but this is some real lazy water carrying for the farm.

Stanford has long dealt with the strictest admissions standards of any Power 5 school. Athletes go through the same admissions process as other students; the university's acceptance rate last year was 4.3 percent. That hadn't prevented Shaw from regularly signing top 25 recruiting classes.

But transfers are another story. The university's acceptance rate for undergraduate transfers is barely 1 percent, and students must be a freshman or sophomore. Graduate transfers must apply to a specific academic program.

Stanford obviously isn't targeting minimum qualifiers but the idea that their top 25 recruiting classes and Director's Cup rosters are full of kids that would sniff admissions otherwise is a ridiculous fantasy sportswriters have been happy to repeat forever.
KoreAmBear
Sorry if this is a Booth but just a sad thought that Furd could go after Troy Taylor:

https://www.si.com/college/cal/news/troy-taylor-stanford-speculation
DiabloWags
Furd was 9 - 3 in 2018 and won the Sun Bowl.

They've had amazing O-Line recruiting classes in the past, but not recently.

As one poster here stated, the Shaw "ran the program into the ground".

Must have been going off the 'Roids.
That was clearly the reason.

MrGPAC
In the early 2010's I read an article that Stanford had gone like 2 years with only 1 oline starter missing a single game during that time.

It was trying to attribute this to the glove at the time.

I think more than just losing "the glove" and anything else...Stanford had bigger and stronger athletes than everyone else and that was their identity. We aren't going to out skill you. We aren't going to out athlete you. We are going to be bigger and stronger than you and we are going to run over you, use our TE's to catch passes over you, and only use our WR's when we have to to keep the defense honest.

When they lost their strength and conditioning coach they stopped being bigger and stronger than the opposition, and Shaw seemed to have over-corrected the teams identity to more of a spread / pass happy offense. Stanford is going to have problems competing for the top skill athletes. They are going to have problems trying to keep up with USC and Alabama at their own game. When they flipped the script, noted there are a lot of big and strong smart olinemen and used it to their advantage they were able to run with it. By going mainstream with their offense they lost that...

And by losing "the glove" and their size/strength advantage...they lost something there too.

Cal on the other hand seems to have no problem getting very good skill position players. Their problems lie elsewhere.
calpoly
oursdor said:

okaydo said:

maybe, but this is some real lazy water carrying for the farm.

Stanford has long dealt with the strictest admissions standards of any Power 5 school. Athletes go through the same admissions process as other students; the university's acceptance rate last year was 4.3 percent. That hadn't prevented Shaw from regularly signing top 25 recruiting classes.

But transfers are another story. The university's acceptance rate for undergraduate transfers is barely 1 percent, and students must be a freshman or sophomore. Graduate transfers must apply to a specific academic program.

Stanford obviously isn't targeting minimum qualifiers but the idea that their top 25 recruiting classes and Director's Cup rosters are full of kids that would sniff admissions otherwise is a ridiculous fantasy sportswriters have been happy to repeat forever.
You said: "Stanford has long dealt with the strictest admissions standards of any Power 5 school. Athletes go through the same admissions process as other students; the university's acceptance rate last year was 4.3 percent. That hadn't prevented Shaw from regularly signing top 25 recruiting classes."

Going through the same admissions process does not mean that atheletes have the same grades and test scores as a regular admit. I have heard from several AD's that when Harbaugh took over the football program they dropped the admissions requirements for football players so they would be competitive.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.