Breaking: David Shaw steps down as HC after loss to BYU

4,306 Views | 153 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by concordtom
KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Will Furd snag Troy Taylor? That would hurt.

Gkhoury2325
Good bring Gould, the DB Coach Akin and ST coach Alamar who we all wanted fired back when he was at Cal.
Econ141
Holy crap - we are screwed. The bottom dwellers - Colorado, ASU, and Stanford are off to the races fixing their problems and here we are treading water.
KoreAmBear
Econ141 said:

Holy crap - we are screwed. The bottom dwellers - Colorado, ASU, and Stanford are off to the races fixing their problems and here we are treading water.

Seriously.
KoreAmBear
Gkhoury2325 said:

Good bring Gould, the DB Coach Akin and ST coach Alamar who we all wanted fired back when he was at Cal.

RB and DB coaching have been great.

No one will ever want Alamar back.

Can we get some of their O linemen? Don't they always get 4*s?
Econ141
Also - anyone know what Shaw's contract was? How come we can't get lucky and have the basketball coach resign? Sheesh!
GMP
KoreAmBear said:

Wilner says their first call should be to Chris Petersen.

Wilner is right and that would be scary.
Eastern Oregon Bear
OK, I'll lob the dynamite into the pond. David Shaw for Cal OC?
KoreAmBear
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Hell no. Stop trollin.
SoCalie
Can the current RB coach move to another position and still be effective? Or, Gould for OC?
calumnus
Wow. Just wow.
TouchedTheAxeIn82
I went to the game. Christopher Brooks ran for 164 yards for BYU. Watching a Cal grad run over Stanford and seeing the furdies lose two weeks in a row was a pleasant enough way to end this miserable season.

After the game, fans walked onto the field, so I went down and found Brooks. I unzipped my jacket to show my Cal sweatshirt underneath. Just to make sure I wasn't confused, I said "You went to Cal, right?" He said yeah so I shook his hand and said "Go Bears! Beating Stanford again!" And his response: "And you beat them last week!"
okaydo
Tedford: Coached Cal for 139 games between the ages of 40 and 51.

Shaw: Coached Stanford for 150 games between the ages of 38 and 50.
calumnus
okaydo said:

Shaw 3 Rose Bowls, won 2.

Tedford was fired. Shaw resigned.

But yeah, the similarity is striking.
okaydo
Stanford should go after Dykes. He can coach, he's progressive and academically oriented. He'd be a great fit.
GoCal80
Perhaps Shaw saw the writing on the wall: in the age of "pay to play" professional college sports and the transfer portal, Stanford, possibly like Cal, has no obvious path to being successful in football.
bearsandgiants
GoCal80 said:

Perhaps Shaw saw the writing on the wall: in the age of "pay to play" professional college sports and the transfer portal, Stanford, possibly like Cal, has no obvious path to being successful in football.

I think he was just embarrassed and has integrity.
82gradDLSdad
calumnus said:

okaydo said:

Would have been interesting to see if Shaw could have built up a program, as Tedford did, rather than just caretaking a monster as Shaw did. I can't help thinking Shaw is more like Wilcox than his record suggests.
GOLDEN
Oregon State Coach Jonathan Smith has agreed to at least talk to Stanford $$$$
BearSD
82gradDLSdad said:

calumnus said:

okaydo said:

Would have been interesting to see if Shaw could have built up a program, as Tedford did, rather than just caretaking a monster as Shaw did. I can't help thinking Shaw is more like Wilcox than his record suggests.

Shaw inherited a team that was 12-1 and ranked #4.

Tedford took over a team that was 1-10 and on NCAA probation.
72CalBear
Funny. We knew Shaw would probably leave. Facing similar problems regarding portal and NIL. Cal trolling for him is laughable.
TouchedTheAxeIn82
BearSD said:

Shaw inherited a team that was 12-1 and ranked #4.

Tedford took over a team that was 1-10 and on NCAA probation.

Not only that, Tedford took over a 1-11 Fresno State team (led by DeRuyter) and went 10-4 his first year, then 12-2 his second year with a MWC championship. He instantly turned around TWO bad teams. I agree with the speculation that Shaw may be no better than Wilcox. There's no proof he could have done what Tedford did at two different schools.
Cal88
He`s earned something like $30 million in his long HC stint at the farm, and no longer has the combination of drive and skill to keep their program at high level. He doesn`t need the aggravation and doesn`t want to further tarnish his legacy there, good move for him.
southseasbear
KoreAmBear said:

It would serve us right for extending a coach with a losing conference record. And it will be history repeating itself as two of their best coaches were John Ralston (who played for Pappy) and Bill Walsh (whose coaching career began at Cal when he was hired by Marv Levy). We have a history of embracing mediocrity in athletics.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
Rushinbear
Cal88 said:

He`s earned something like $30 million in his long HC stint at the farm, and no longer has the combination of drive and skill to keep their program at high level. He doesn`t need the aggravation and doesn`t want to further tarnish his legacy there, good move for him.
will his commits stick? Failing team. Failing program. Failing commitment to football by fraud. You'd think a couple of them, at least, might be swayed by our rising program and new OC and OL coach, whoever they may be.

We should have the new guys by the big recruiting weekend Dec. 3/4. Will any of them attend, too?

'Course, this is Cal and...
CaliforniaEternal
Wilcox had an identical 3-9 record. How come Cal can't achieve the same result? Oh ya, because the great administration cares deeply about a winning football program. Furd will be much improved next year from a change in leadership alone, and Cal will still be Wilcox's clueless mess.
PTownYogi
bearsandgiants said:

GoCal80 said:

I think he was just embarrassed and has integrity.

Don't know why Shaw just didn't holdout for a contract extension.
SBGold
I actually wouldn't be too scared about that, he burned at UW
SBGold
That would be scary actually
Bobodeluxe
Tosh to interview.
Deutsch
We should watch how a well funded program and smart, thoughtful A.D. approach this and takes careful notes. We have a tendency to make a list of former Cal assistants because they "know" Cal. I suggest we make a list of coaches on the rise who know college football 2022 and have recognized contributions to winning programs.
STEAKKNIVES4LIFE
Econ141 said:

No worries. Last year when Wilcox was "courted" by UO to become their figurehead HC the dye was cast. Cal alums stepped up, when they didn't need to, and committed more money to program infrastructure.

The results of that commitment were crystal clear this year.

Just be patient! Third time is a charm at OC right?

Remember, in his six years at the helm the entire coaching staff has turned over under Wilcox.

Yet he remains.

Cal, unlike every other University, has injury problems.

It's not him; it us!

Cal's 4-8 season is now justified.

ALL IS INDEED WELL!

Boot
Stanford will make a great hire while we get 4 wins and no bowl games.
Cal88
Boot said:

Stanford will make a great hire while we get 4 wins and no bowl games.

They hired Buddy Teevens and Walt Harris. They got lucky with Harbaugh who turned their program around and handed Shaw a competitive team with a winning strategy. So it`s not a given that they will make a great hire.
cal2000
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Lol may be if we are ranked top 5

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.