It is all starting to make sense why Bill Maher has become a darling of the Right

4,149 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by bearister
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?

*He has finally become a stereotypical selfish, rich, old man, or matron or whatever

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
OsoDorado
bearister said:

*He has finally become a stereotypical selfish, rich, old man, or matron or whatever
A crabby old man in his chair.
BearHunter
Bill Maher is hated by the cult because he said men can't get pregnant.
bearister
Big C

I was at least as much of a Bill Maher fanboy as bearister. I still really miss his show on Friday nights, so maybe I still am. Searching for the things I disagree with him on, I can only come up with...
- his kooky ideas about medicine and his overreliance on nutty diet ideas
- he worships animals, whereas I eat them
- his tirades against the value of a college education
- how he hated Gavin Newsom because Newson refused to personally fast track his solar panels permit (or whatever it was)

Outside of that, we're pretty much aligned on the issues, though I haven't really been following the pros and cons of the writers' strike.
OsoDorado
Big C said:

I was at least as much of a Bill Maher fanboy as bearister. I still really miss his show on Friday nights, so maybe I still am. Searching for the things I disagree with him on, I can only come up with...
- how he hated Gavin Newsom because Newson refused to personally fast track his solar panels permit (or whatever it was)

Outside of that, we're pretty much aligned on the issues, though I haven't really been following the pros and cons of the writers' strike.
What about his transformation into a West Coast cultural version of Ron DeSanctimonious, where his constant obsession is about whether something or someone is "woke"?

I think his anti-woke critiques are mostly genuine (because he really is becoming a grumpy old man). but they are also very calculated expressions of "whataboutism" intended to widen his appeal among Southern MAGA Whites. By embracing anti-wokeism, for example, he has succeeded in having Fox News promote him to that part of his base.
concordtom
Big C said:

I didn't take you for a pot smoker.
82gradDLSdad
I like Bill Maher. Only recently started watching him. And the only democratic thing I've ever voted for is Biden. I'm sure I can find stuff I disagree with him on but he seems mostly reasonable: the Uber left has lost its mind and it's spilling over to the rest of the left; the maga right is amazingly blindly stupid for its support of Trump and it's spilling over to the rest of the right. I have good friends that fall into these two amazing categories.
BearHunter
82gradDLSdad said:

I like Bill Maher. Only recently started watching him. And the only democratic thing I've ever voted for is Biden. I'm sure I can find stuff I disagree with him on but he seems mostly reasonable: the Uber left has lost its mind and it's spilling over to the rest of the left; the maga right is amazingly blindly stupid for its support of Trump and it's spilling over to the rest of the right. I have good friends that fall into these two amazing categories.

So the smart people in the middle vote for Biden?
BearHunter
OsoDorado said:

What about his transformation into a West Coast cultural version of Ron DeSanctimonious, where his constant obsession is about whether something or someone is "woke"?

I think his anti-woke critiques are mostly genuine (because he really is becoming a grumpy old man). but they are also very calculated expressions of "whataboutism" intended to widen his appeal among Southern MAGA Whites. By embracing anti-wokeism, for example, he has succeeded in having Fox News promote him to that part of his base.

Bill Maher has always been anti-Trump and anti-woke, there was no transformation. He's never backtracked from all the Russia collusion hoax material that he spread. The only reason why it seems like he's suddenly anti-woke is because the left has gone bat **** crazy and we are all reacting to it.
82gradDLSdad
BearHunter said:

OsoDorado said:

Bill Maher has always been anti-Trump and anti-woke, there was no transformation. He's never backtracked from all the Russia collusion hoax material that he spread. The only reason why it seems like he's suddenly anti-woke is because the left has gone bat **** crazy and we are all reacting to it.

This is what I have garnered watching his show.
Big C
OsoDorado said:

Big C said:

I think his anti-woke critiques are mostly genuine
(because he really is becoming a grumpy old man). but they are also very calculated expressions of "whataboutism" intended to widen his appeal among Southern MAGA Whites. By embracing anti-wokeism, for example, he has succeeded in having Fox News promote him to that part of his base.

Well, the new meaning of "woke" (used as a pejorative) is sort of meant to replace "politically correct" and Maher's old show was entitled "Politically Incorrect".

Maher is someone who is left-of-center on most all issues, but rails against political correctness, which has become his brand, his schtick. He has been losing me on some of his anti-woke stuff. Personally, I try and never use that term in its pejorative meaning, but there are lots of times that the "politically correct" crowd makes me smh.

Anybody in the Fox News crowd would get sick of Maher very quickly if they watched him beyond a few "anti-woke" clips, since he completely disagrees with them on most issues and calls them effing idiots and a menace to the nation.
calbear93
Big C said:

OsoDorado said:

Big C said:

I think his anti-woke critiques are mostly genuine
(because he really is becoming a grumpy old man). but they are also very calculated expressions of "whataboutism" intended to widen his appeal among Southern MAGA Whites. By embracing anti-wokeism, for example, he has succeeded in having Fox News promote him to that part of his base.

Well, the new meaning of "woke" (used as a pejorative) is sort of meant to replace "politically correct" and Maher's old show was entitled "Politically Incorrect".

Maher is someone who is left-of-center on most all issues, but rails against political correctness, which has become his brand, his schtick. He has been losing me on some of his anti-woke stuff. Personally, I try and never use that term in its pejorative meaning, but there are lots of times that the "politically correct" crowd makes me smh.

Anybody in the Fox News crowd would get sick of Maher very quickly if they watched him beyond a few "anti-woke" clips, since he completely disagrees with them on most issues and calls them effing idiots and a menace to the nation.
I don't know any comedian who likes political correctness, and I don't know anyone authentic who likes people just looking to get offended.

I disagree with Maher most of the time, especially on religion, but I have always enjoyed watching him because he has a sense of humor and because he seems genuine as opposed to saying what he believes will get him the most social brownie points.

So, if you (not you C) decide whether you like some artist, comedian, etc. based on alignment with your political views, then you need to get inspired to open your mind and your ears.
bearister
Wokeness ripped the gonads out of SNL skits. The skits on the Dave Chappell Show and Madtv had a scorched earth policy towards political correctness and thus were, and still are ,hysterical.
BearHunter
OsoDorado said:

bearister said:

Grumpy old man? And yet, you guys totally agree with every word he says about Trump.
calbear93
BearHunter said:

OsoDorado said:

bearister said:

Grumpy old man? And yet, you guys totally agree with every word he says about Trump.
I agree with Bill Maher on Trump and with Joe Rogan on Biden.

FU primary and the two party system that gives us this crap.
dajo9
Thanks for the clip. I don't really watch either of them but Bill Maher was very persuasive and Joe Rogan sounded like he was judging a Cool Dude competition.
He / Him
82gradDLSdad
calbear93 said:

BearHunter said:

OsoDorado said:

bearister said:

If most Americans aren't scared to death of the fact that these two may be our only choices for president then we seem to be headed toward some sort of catastrophy for our country.
calbear93
82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

BearHunter said:

OsoDorado said:

bearister said:

If most Americans aren't scared to death of the fact that these two may be our only choices for president then we seem to be headed toward some sort of catastrophy for our country.
If I am invited to be a judge at a beauty contest where the only two contestants are Rosie O'Donnell and Rosanne Barr, I am probably skipping the event no matter how much delusional folks tell me that Rosie O'Donnell is the most beautiful woman in the history of mankind.
Big C
82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

BearHunter said:

OsoDorado said:

bearister said:

I will vote for Biden over Trump, no-brainer, but I think he should not have run for reelection. He's had a good first term; he would go down in history as a good President. And if he were, say, 68 instead of 80, I feel like his approval ratings would reflect that. I feel like he still has most all of his marbles, but how long will that last? And just seeing him walk up to the podium with that old-man-shuffle, it just doesn't inspire confidence.
sycasey
Big C said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

BearHunter said:

OsoDorado said:

bearister said:

I will vote for Biden over Trump, no-brainer, but I think he should not have run for reelection. He's had a good first term; he would go down in history as a good President. And if he were, say, 68 instead of 80, I feel like his approval ratings would reflect that. I feel like he still has most all of his marbles, but how long will that last? And just seeing him walk up to the podium with that old-man-shuffle, it just doesn't inspire confidence.
Biden's age would be a much bigger issue if Trump (who isn't all that much younger) weren't his likely opponent.
dajo9
sycasey said:

Big C said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

BearHunter said:

OsoDorado said:

bearister said:

Biden's age would be a much bigger issue if Trump (who isn't all that much younger) weren't his likely opponent.

"We could have saved America's Republic but the guy who supported it moved slow"
He / Him
OsoDorado
OsoDorado said:

Big C said:

For those interested, Bill Maher will be Ari Melber's guest in a few minutes on his MSNBC show "The Beat."

Should be interesting to see how much quotable, "anti-woke whataboutism" he offers to the Fox News MAGA base, while simultaneously appealing to the principle of "equal justice before the law" for Trump and his co-conspirators ....
oski003
sycasey said:

Big C said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

BearHunter said:

OsoDorado said:

bearister said:

The Republican party is playing 4D chess. They are waiting for the Democrats to commit to Pedo Pete. Once they do, the Republicans will nominate a candidate who doesn't suck as much.
sycasey
oski003 said:

sycasey said:

Big C said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

BearHunter said:

OsoDorado said:

bearister said:

The Republican party is playing 4D chess. They are waiting for the Democrats to commit to Pedo Pete. Once they do, the Republicans will nominate a candidate who doesn't suck as much.
No they won't.
Eastern Oregon Bear
sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

Big C said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

BearHunter said:

OsoDorado said:

bearister said:

No they won't.
He's giving the GOP credit for far more intelligence and courage than they've displayed in the last 10-15 years.

I see oski003 has used the Pedo smear, so he's now operating on the same level as movielover and Yogi. I used to consider him above that level.
BearHunter
oski003 said:

sycasey said:

Big C said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

BearHunter said:

OsoDorado said:

bearister said:

The Democratic Party is a cult. No one will dare challenge the authority of the puppet (Joe Biden) until the cult leader (Barack Obama) gives permission. It's status quo for now.
bearister
Is tRump a cult leader?

*I think there are a whole lot of January 6 insurrectionists in USP's right now that have surfaced from the fog and figured out they got scammed. tRump and his family members will be looking over their shoulders the rest of their lives for those guys. It's one thing to stiff a contractor for a few thousand, it is another to mislead a man into prison and job loss.
MinotStateBeav
"We have to save democracy by arresting our opponent and if that doesn't work, have the states enact the 14th amendment even though we haven't found him guilty. Remember...this is to save democracy! We can't let people decide."
dajo9
MinotStateBeav said:

"We have to save democracy by arresting our opponent and if that doesn't work, have the states enact the 14th amendment even though we haven't found him guilty. Remember...this is to save democracy! We can't let people decide."

The people don't decide. If the people decided, Hillary would have won in 2016. Trump has already tried to overthrow the government. If the Electoral College makes him President again, he'll fill all those military leadership positions Senator Tuberville is keeping open for him and next time he'll be able to use the Insurrection Act and the military. He learned his lesson last time for relying on pikers like the Proud Boys.
He / Him
bearister
14th will never work. Let him get elected and serve from behind bars. Such a fitting trigger for the Fall of the Republic.

Lets Go Brandon 16
Big C said:

82gradDLSdad said:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/biden-approval-rating/

calbear93
BearHunter said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

Big C said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

BearHunter said:

OsoDorado said:

bearister said:

The Democratic Party is a cult. No one will dare challenge the authority of the puppet (Joe Biden) until the cult leader (Barack Obama) gives permission. It's status quo for now.

There is no bench on the Democratic side. So they have no choice but to put up an old unpopular incumbent who is polling lower than someone like Trump. There is no Nikki Halley on the left that could win a general election. Trump and Biden are the only ones who could lose to the other.
OsoDorado
Link to Bill Maher on Ari Melber's show yesterday:

A little OT, but tangentially related, Vivek Ramaswamy being interviewed -- yesterday or the day before -- by Mehdi Hasan:

Enjoy!
82gradDLSdad
OsoDorado said:

Link to Bill Maher on Ari Melber's show yesterday:

A little OT, but tangentially related, Vivek Ramaswamy being interviewed -- yesterday or the day before -- by Mehdi Hasan:

Enjoy!

I've been a bit saddened but not surprised to hear Vivek say some of the things he has. I think he's getting dragged into the 'what do I need to do to get elected' rather than speaking from his heart. I think now that he's got momentum on the Republican side he knows he needs Trump supporters to flip to him. He can't come out and slam Trump and get that support so he is tap dancing around the Trump question.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.