Harvard's President Gay & Plagiarism

5,476 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by bear2034
TheFiatLux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Unit2Sucks said:

tequila4kapp said:

Unit2Sucks said:

tequila4kapp said:

The thread has gone in down a classic OT path...

I created the post with broader plagiarism in academia type considerations. Maybe I am naive or just out of touch but 50 instances of plagiarism??? How does the university not care enough about its academic reputation to allow this? The Stanford president resigned with 4 allegations of manipulated research data. Furd reportedly knew of the allegations from peer review stuff and didn't do anything...until the student newspaper reported on it. There's another prominent example I can't quite remember - something like a famous academic study on honesty included falsified data??? I realize that is only 3 examples and we have a gazillion universities in this nation but it just seems like things are out of whack in academia.
I've talked to my brother (a former academic) about this. His view is that there is a lot of like "boilerplate" across academia and that it really depends on the nature of the plagiarism. There are a lot of customs around when and how to cite prior work. Here's an article from the Harvard Crimson about this.

I'm not defending Gay, I have no doubt that she crossed some sort of line if Harvard was willing to can her over this, but I expect that we will see this charge leveled more and more and weaponized politically.

To wit.

I shrugged my shoulders over the initial allegations. It sounded like the same type of thing I did as a 1st term frosh. I would say it is especially bad for her because she was way more advanced in her academic career but in the grand scheme of things...meh. But these later allegations included charges of large passages being lifted verbatim, as well as the shear volume of times that she cheated...yikes...and they are still keeping her on as a professor. WTH???
Maybe it was a negotiated settlement? Or perhaps they don't have nearly a strong enough case to terminate a tenured prof? I have no idea but I wonder whether she is going to stay there for very long after all of this mess. Her testimony was a mess and she damaged the university, she should have been fired from her leadership role for that alone.
This is it exactly.

Reminds me of Cuomo who should have been out as governor for his disastrous and duplicitous leadership during Covid, but it took something else to get him out.
bear2034
tequila4kapp said:

Maybe I am naive or just out of touch but 50 instances of plagiarism??? How does the university not care enough about its academic reputation to allow this?

You can file this incident under rules for thee but not for me. Did Gavin Newsom's reputation take a hit among Californians when he wined and dined at the French Laundry during lockdowns? He's the front runner for President should Biden go down. Harvard is so out of touch they will let it slide unless the backlash continues which I doubt it will.
MinotStateBeav
No I think you're just too indoctrinated to understand levity.
MinotStateBeav
Unit2Sucks said:

tequila4kapp said:

I created the post with broader plagiarism in academia type considerations. Maybe I am naive or just out of touch but 50 instances of plagiarism??? How does the university not care enough about its academic reputation to allow this? The Stanford president resigned with 4 allegations of manipulated research data. Furd reportedly knew of the allegations from peer review stuff and didn't do anything...until the student newspaper reported on it. There's another prominent example I can't quite remember - something like a famous academic study on honesty included falsified data??? I realize that is only 3 examples and we have a gazillion universities in this nation but it just seems like things are out of whack in academia.
I've talked to my brother (a former academic) about this. His view is that there is a lot of like "boilerplate" across academia and that it really depends on the nature of the plagiarism. There are a lot of customs around when and how to cite prior work. Here's an article from the Harvard Crimson about this.

I'm not defending Gay, I have no doubt that she crossed some sort of line if Harvard was willing to can her over this, but I expect that we will see this charge leveled more and more and weaponized politically.

To wit.

Yeah Wajat Ali...he's just about to go and name all those right wing academics in the university systems..Everybody knows the University systems are controlled by the left to the tune of about 10,000 to 1. Please go ahead and get Gorsuch fired lol. Good luck.
movielover
What a preening megalomaniac.
movielover
Dr. Thomas Sowell, Alan Dershowitz, and now Vivek Ramaswamy all advocate Diversity of Thought in universities. There is little in most departments.
dajo9
What's interesting to me is how much people care. Right wing activist Chris Rufo announced he was going to have media wage war on Claudine Gay over plagiarism. The NY Times dutifully followed orders and reported on it breathlessly day after day. She was demoted and people are in here metaphorically dancing on her grave. Two people who almost never post here came from Growls just to join the mob and throw additional rocks.

I could care less about Claudine Gay. A woman I never heard of before a week ago and from an institution I have zero connection to.

I am far more concerned about unethical behavior from Presidents and Supreme Court members. I am far more interested in reading media from outlets that talk about legal rulings in Texas that will get women killed for lack of healthcare than outlets like the NY Times that follow right wing marching orders to bring the digital lynch mob to Claudine Gay.

But there is still an element in our society that gets downright giddy when a woman of color gets her comeuppance.
American Vermin
TheFiatLux
dajo9 said:

But there is still an element in our society that gets downright giddy when a woman of color gets her comeuppance.
This might be singularly, the most absurd take on here. And that's saying something.
dajo9
TheFiatLux said:

dajo9 said:

This might be singularly, the most absurd take on here. And that's saying something.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks

Apologies for the plagiarism
American Vermin
Unit2Sucks
MinotStateBeav said:

No I think you're just too indoctrinated to understand levity.
lol nice try. You fell for it, but sure we can pretend you posted it as a funny.
bear2034
movielover said:

Dr. Thomas Sowell, Alan Dershowitz, and now Vivek Ramaswamy all advocate Diversity of Thought in universities. There is little in most departments.
bear2034
dajo9 said:

"It is a sad day in America when Harvard can get faculty to compromise high academic standards so easily. This is being done to advance social engineering, diversity, equity, and inclusion DEI goals."
calbear93
Unit2Sucks said:

tequila4kapp said:

Unit2Sucks said:

tequila4kapp said:

To wit.

I shrugged my shoulders over the initial allegations. It sounded like the same type of thing I did as a 1st term frosh. I would say it is especially bad for her because she was way more advanced in her academic career but in the grand scheme of things...meh. But these later allegations included charges of large passages being lifted verbatim, as well as the shear volume of times that she cheated...yikes...and they are still keeping her on as a professor. WTH???
Maybe it was a negotiated settlement? Or perhaps they don't have nearly a strong enough case to terminate a tenured prof? I have no idea but I wonder whether she is going to stay there for very long after all of this mess. Her testimony was a mess and she damaged the university, she should have been fired from her leadership role for that alone.
I think the outside political pressure from the disastrous testimony, if anything, made it more difficult to fire her from her role. You never want to be seen as giving in to the agitators as if politicians have the power to dictate academic decisions (even if the left has already embedded themselves in academia).

Plagiarism is a good reason to fire her that does not necessarily look like it was from political pressure.

I am also confident that, absent such reason, MIT will not give in to pressure.
bear2034
Unit2Sucks
calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

I think the outside political pressure from the disastrous testimony, if anything, made it more difficult to fire her from her role. You never want to be seen as giving in to the agitators as if politicians have the power to dictate academic decisions (even if the left has already embedded themselves in academia).

Plagiarism is a good reason to fire her that does not necessarily look like it was from political pressure.

There is a bit of a chicken and the egg thing going on with conservatives in academia. The conservative movement has for decades been extremely critical of higher education and like, science. As such, they are less likely to see academia as an interesting career path. Just like I would assume that liberals are less likely to be cops.

I won't claim that politics is non-existent in higher education but I don't want to just pretend like the reason there are more liberals than conservatives in academia is just because academia refuses to hire conservatives. Here's an article from the National Review from 2016. The piece discusses a variety of reasons but concedes that applicants are disproportionately liberal.

Given that conservatives believe in equality of opportunity, not equality of outcome, they should easily be able to understand that they are to blame for the fact that there are so few conservative academics. If conservatives want to see more of themselves in higher education, they should become academics rather than complaining about discrimination. I would suggest they pull themselves up by their bootstraps. They can do it!
oski003
Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

There is a bit of a chicken and the egg thing going on with conservatives in academia. The conservative movement has for decades been extremely critical of higher education and like, science. As such, they are less likely to see academia as an interesting career path. Just like I would assume that liberals are less likely to be cops.

I won't claim that politics is non-existent in higher education but I don't want to just pretend like the reason there are more liberals than conservatives in academia is just because academia refuses to hire conservatives. Here's an article from the National Review from 2016. The piece discusses a variety of reasons but concedes that applicants are disproportionately liberal.

Given that conservatives believe in equality of opportunity, not equality of outcome, they should easily be able to understand that they are to blame for the fact that there are so few conservative academics. If conservatives want to see more of themselves in higher education, they should become academics rather than complaining about discrimination. I would suggest they pull themselves up by their bootstraps. They can do it!

Are conservatives asking for reparations or affirmative action?
calbear93
Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Kind of confusing narrative. And confusing why a simple, generally accepted statement triggered you to make another snide attacks against conservatives. Never said anywhere (please point to where I did - otherwise, it seems like a strawman argument you created out of thin air) that institutions do not hire conservatives. But I have heard without confirmation (take it for what it's worth) from insiders at Harvard that conservative faculty have harder time making progress or gaining tenure at Harvard.

Not sure what boostraps you are referring to. Are conservatives or liberals the rich folks who use legacy admission and have privileges to get into good schools based on their wealth? Who gets into these elite institutions? Are you suggesting conservatives are in fact not the privileged, rich white folks? Are conservatives excluded from admission to these schools? So what is the bootstrap you are referring to? Are the conservatives who go to these schools choosing not to stay in school after graduation but instead apply their learnings to real life value-add professions instead teaching even though the academic profession does not discriminate against conservatives? Are the liberals the ones who are included to remain forever in academia by nature so that complaining about wealth and student loans while also collecting $900K salary to openly discriminate against Jews and beg wealthy people for donations. When you say academia is liberal because conservatives don't choose to remain in school forever, are you suggesting that academia is open to conservatives? Is that kind of like someone saying there is really nothing wrong with gender pay gap because women just choose not to go into high paying tech jobs? Should women just pull themselves up by their bootstraps?

I will just put this to you being in a bad mood and wanting to make a random snide, political comment.
Unit2Sucks
calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Kind of confusing narrative. ...

I will just put this to you being in a bad mood and wanting to make a random snide, political comment.
I'm in a great mood and made a random snide, political comment.

I really had two points to make. The first is that academia being loaded with liberals is multi-faceted.

The second is the snide political comment which is that rather than complain about academia being liberal (which conservatives have been doing for decades), conservatives should try to become academics. Of course, there is a right way and a wrong way to do that. The right way is to go get a PhD and apply for jobs through normal channels. The wrong way is to become governor, destroy an educational institution by bringing in right wing provocateurs like Rufo and just decide to make it conservative, academics be damned. That's what Ron D did in Florida.

For years conservatives have been downplaying institutional prejudice but claiming that institutions are prejudiced against them.

calbear93
Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

I really had two points to make. The first is that academia being loaded with liberals is multi-faceted.

The second is the snide political comment which is that rather than complain about academia being liberal (which conservatives have been doing for decades), conservatives should try to become academics. Of course, there is a right way and a wrong way to do that. The right way is to go get a PhD and apply for jobs through normal channels. The wrong way is to become governor, destroy an educational institution by bringing in right wing provocateurs like Rufo and just decide to make it conservative, academics be damned. That's what Ron D did in Florida.

For years conservatives have been downplaying institutional prejudice but claiming that institutions are prejudiced against them.

I would suggest we force academic institutions that promote diversity to punish those who openly discriminate against those with conservative view points in the same way that men who openly discriminate against women in the high paying jobs are punished. Saying women should stop complaining about wage gap and just go into hostile environment in tech companies to bridge the gender pay gap is not a deep discussion. Likewise, just saying that conservatives should go into a hostile environment in academia to bridge the political gap is not a deep discussion. Force diversity of thought and punish open discrimination even if politics is not a protected class, especially if they are going to promote academic pursuit and open dialogue. Otherwise, it becomes an echo chamber just like some tech companies are like frat houses.

And liberals have been pointing fingers at all the discrimination while they openly discriminate against select groups.
Cal88
movielover said:

Agree completely on principle, but in this case, the primary motive for pushing Gay out was because the political establishment and the Harvard establishment alike did not tolerate diversity of thought on their campus with regards to Israel/Palestine.

It's hypocritical for conservatives to rail about cancel culture then turn around and cancel anyone who is opposed to Israeli policies. The troubling aspect here is that it goes well beyond cancellation, for example it is actually illegal to boycott Israeli apartheid in many states.
Unit2Sucks
calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

I would suggest we force academic institutions that promote diversity to punish those who openly discriminate against those with conservative view points in the same way that men who openly discriminate against women in the high paying jobs are punished. Saying women should stop complaining about wage gap and just go into hostile environment in tech companies to bridge the gender pay gap is not a deep discussion. Likewise, just saying that conservatives should go into a hostile environment in academia to bridge the political gap is not a deep discussion. Force diversity of thought and punish open discrimination even if politics is not a protected class, especially if they are going to promote academic pursuit and open dialogue. Otherwise, it becomes an echo chamber just like some tech companies are like frat houses.

And liberals have been pointing fingers at all the discrimination while they openly discriminate against select groups.
Seems like we both agree that institutional prejudice is a real problem in America and that merely telling someone to try harder or "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" is inadequate to address the real problems people are facing.
bear2034
Cal88 said:

movielover said:

Agree completely on principle, but in this case, the primary motive for pushing Gay out was because the political establishment and the Harvard establishment alike did not tolerate diversity of thought on their campus with regards to Israel/Palestine.

It's hypocritical for conservatives to rail about cancel culture then turn around and cancel anyone who is opposed to Israeli policies. The troubling aspect here is that it goes well beyond cancellation, for example it is actually illegal to boycott Israeli apartheid in many states.

The hidden primary motive, if there is one, is clearly unknown. What was Harvard's official response? And does Harvard have a recent history of folding due to pressure from campus conservatives?
calbear93
Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Seems like we both agree that institutional prejudice is a real problem in America and that merely telling someone to try harder or "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" is inadequate to address the real problems people are facing.
Absolutely. Have never done so other than with some small subset of Generation Z who complain about having to work 9-5 jobs. But, even as a C-Suite executive, I have been supportive of creating an inclusive and open culture that welcome diversity of thought and experience as long as it is respectful to each other. Having said that, people also need to hold themselves accountable for their work ethic instead of falling into the trap of entitlement. And organization have to make sure that those who are able and willing find an open and inclusive place for employees to thrive and develop. There is a risk of abandoning common sense and over calibrating to either side, but making sure that companies get the best talent available and not lose difference makers due to bias is just good business practice for long-term growth.

Hate echo chambers in any situation. Bunch of lemmings or parrots in those situations, spurring each other on like 3rd grade bullies. I would prefer people be more curious of those with different viewpoints instead of playing gotcha and self-promotion.
Eastern Oregon Bear
MinotStateBeav said:

New conservative weapon.....PLAGERISM!!!
It's only January 3rd, but I think we have our COVFEFE for 2024.
Eastern Oregon Bear
movielover said:

What a preening megalomaniac.
Hey! Fiat Lux has been a valued member of BI for many years and one thing is abundantly clear. He's not a megalomaniac.
sycasey
bear2034 said:

tequila4kapp said:

Maybe I am naive or just out of touch but 50 instances of plagiarism??? How does the university not care enough about its academic reputation to allow this?

You can file this incident under rules for thee but not for me. Did Gavin Newsom's reputation take a hit among Californians when he wined and dined at the French Laundry during lockdowns?
Yes, it did. But then Republicans tried running Larry Elder against him in the recall election and thus it went down in flames.

Maybe this would come up again in a national election, but I don't think voters care very much about COVID restrictions anymore.
sycasey
On Claudine Gay: my take is that every Ivy League president who delivered terrible testimony in that Congressional hearing deserves to be canned, and I don't particularly care why it happens. I do think the initial claims of plagiarism against Gay seemed a little thin, but the later ones that came out were blatant. She needed to go.
Unit2Sucks
calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Absolutely. Have never done so other than with some small subset of Generation Z who complain about having to work 9-5 jobs. But, even as a C-Suite executive, I have been supportive of creating an inclusive and open culture that welcome diversity of thought and experience as long as it is respectful to each other. Having said that, people also need to hold themselves accountable for their work ethic instead of falling into the trap of entitlement. And organization have to make sure that those who are able and willing find an open and inclusive place for employees to thrive and develop. There is a risk of abandoning common sense and over calibrating to either side, but making sure that companies get the best talent available and not lose difference makers due to bias is just good business practice for long-term growth.

Hate echo chambers in any situation. Bunch of lemmings or parrots in those situations, spurring each other on like 3rd grade bullies. I would prefer people be more curious of those with different viewpoints instead of playing gotcha and self-promotion.
Agreed. I also think it's in a lot of ways harder than it's ever been to wrestle with this stuff due to political polarization and the way that it's become top of mind for so many people. Even a decade ago it was much easier to dodge political discussions (the way you can with religion and other potentially controversial topics) but now people tend to be more in your face about things and often expect their employers to reflect their important personal values (of which politics is commonly one).

Ideally the malign influences causing extremism will moderate and we will see this influence recede from what otherwise should be places free from political noise.
Lets Go Brandon
movielover said:

Lotta White Supremacy going on at Ha-vard. Are all the cheaters Liberal?

Harvard President
Stanford President
Pocahontas Warren - fake Native American
Elizabeth Hoover - Cal - fake Native American
Three profs- University of Kansas
UC Riverside prof - fake NA

"Jacqueline Keeler, a writer who investigates people who falsely claim Indigenous ancestry for personal gain, and who posted the details of Smith's agreement earlier this month, told Inside Higher Ed: "Academia is basically a pretendian factory."

"It is the ultimate form of colonization, where they actually become us instead of actually listening to us," she told the outlet."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/aug/28/california-professor-resigns-native-american-heritage

https://apnews.com/article/berkeley-professor-false-native-identity-apology-dabc6d97dcb6f96aedc6c6c62b4975ee

https://www.thecollegefix.com/three-university-of-kansas-professors-face-allegations-of-fake-native-american-ancestry/
Now that we're willing to discuss why people shouldn't pretend to be black or Native American when they're not, maybe someday we'll have a discussion about the explosion of people pretending that they're not the gender that biology says they are
bear2034

Plagiarism is a conservative weapon now?
bear2034
movielover
Daily Mail: Black law professor says Harvard President Claudine Gay DESERVES attacks on her credibility because she helped destroy careers of two African-American scholars whose work contradicted her woke beliefs

"The author continued: 'No one in good faith should defend President Gay because she is the first black president of Harvard. Even if you don't agree with me that our racial struggle is in our past, someone who has targeted black male professors has waived any benefit of the 'first black' defense.'

Twyman, who wrote the race-related book Letters in Black and White: A New Correspondence on Race in America, claimed Gay previously sacked one black professor and 'tarnished' the reputation of another.

"Twyman alleged that gay fired Ronald S. Sullivan Jr. as dean of Harvard's Winthrop House in 2019 after he joined Harvey Weinstein's legal team."

"He also claimed Gay coordinated a 'witch hunt' against economics professor Roland G. Fryer Jr. after his research into the killings of unarmed black men in Houston, Texas, found no racial disparities.

'He made the mistake of undercutting the racial narrative that the Left has adopted, and as a result, Gay did her best to remove all of his academic privileges, coordinating a witch hunt against him,' Twyman said."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12910527/Black-law-professor-says-Harvard-President-Claudine-Gay-DESERVES-attacks-credibility-helped-destroy-careers-two-African-American-scholars-work-contradicted-woke-beliefs.html
movielover
Now DEI exclusionary vetting processes will drive Conservatives to near zero on college campuses.

If you're not Woke, you won't even get an interview.
movielover
It seems that the transgender fad has become less prominent in the media. Was it the backlash, and / or numerous lawsuits? Wonderful Chloe Cole's $70 Million dollar lawsuit has to be a warning shot.

Dr. Jordan Peterson claims a foremost expert on the topic resides in Canada. This clinical psychologist claims if you leave 'transgendered' teenagers (largely girls) alone:

- some grow out of it
- many identify as lesbian

Ergo, these barbaric practices seem to be mutilating normal, healthy lesbian girls into tragic lifelong medical dependants. So they lose functioning breasts, can't have children, and some who undergo bottom surgery have ghastly malformed nonfunctional pretend anatomy.

I believe Dr. Rene Richard's went through a long, thorough evaluation. Today's process seems like a Woke Rubber Stamp line. When one advisor to Chloe Cole - who had a superficial evaluation and was rushed into the trans surgery conveyor
belt - balked at the suggested trans surgery, he / she was removed and replaced with another group think staffer.

tequila4kapp
Cal88 said:

movielover said:

That is an incorrect characterization.

Threatening people - which is what she was asked about - is not "diversity of thought."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.