TikTok ban - rant

1,861 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by going4roses
going4roses
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Strong language advisory
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTL8NeW1b/
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
concordtom
Please explain to me the "value add" to TikTok.
Thx in advance.
cbbass1
concordtom said:

Thx in advance.
It's uncensored.
DiabloWags
cbbass1 said:

concordtom said:

Thx in advance.
It's uncensored.

At the risk of MAXIMUM PRIVACY INVASION.

https://www.uottawa.ca/about-us/information-technology/services/security/tiktok-use-privacy-risks#:~:text=Information%20TikTok%20collects&text=You%20could%20also%20unwittingly%20provide,app%20has%20access%20to%20it.

Even with items on your phone that you do not consciencously post on the App.

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
cbbass1
DiabloWags said:

cbbass1 said:

concordtom said:

Thx in advance.
It's uncensored.

At the risk of MAXIMUM PRIVACY INVASION.

https://www.uottawa.ca/about-us/information-technology/services/security/tiktok-use-privacy-risks#:~:text=Information%20TikTok%20collects&text=You%20could%20also%20unwittingly%20provide,app%20has%20access%20to%20it.

Even with items on your phone that you do not consciencously post on the App.
Please tell us how the privacy/surveillance risks of TikTok are different from the privacy/surveillance risks from Facebook, Twitter/X, Instagram, WhatsApp, or just about any other mobile app. [Note: If you care at all about your privacy & your Freedom of Speech, and you put any of these apps on your phone, you're an idiot.]

The only real difference is that with TikTok, the Chinese Communist Party collects your personal data. With the others, it's Google, Apple, and Meta/Facebook -- who gladly pass this data along to DHS, NSA, Palantir, and other managers of our surveillance state.

From the linked article: "There is concern that the Chinese government might use TikTok to push pro-China narratives or misinformation."

Translation: There is concern that some posts available on TikTok might challenge U.S./Corporate narratives & misinformation.

DiabloWags
cbbass1 said:

From the linked article: "There is concern that the Chinese government might use TikTok to push pro-China narratives or misinformation."

Translation: There is concern that some posts available on TikTok might challenge U.S./Corporate narratives & misinformation.

Given the above, I would tend to think that any rational person concerned about their PRIVACY would not have these apps (including TikTok ) on their phone and that the VALUE ADD of being uncensored isn't worth the risk, am I right?
concordtom
cbbass1 said:

The only real difference is that with TikTok, the Chinese Communist Party collects your personal data. With the others, it's Google, Apple, and Meta/Facebook -- who gladly pass this data along to DHS, NSA, Palantir, and other managers of our surveillance state.

Who does BI pass our data on to?
DiabloWags
concordtom said:

Exactly.

Never mind data-brokers who sell our info from credit card companies ... to various DoD agencies.

But cbbass only seems to be concerned with large social media tech firms. Maybe not Bearinsider?

Biden said he would sign any bill effectively banning TikTok or forcing its sale....in an effort to stop its Chinese owners from operating in the U.S.

bearister
If Bannon said this than he must not be in the orbit anymore. I had read he was the return of the prodigal son.

"Steve Bannon, the one-time adviser to Donald Trump, suggested on Saturday that the former president was paid off after a shift in stance on TikTok."

Steve Bannon Suggests Donald Trump Has Been Bought

https://www.newsweek.com/steve-bannon-suggests-donald-trump-has-been-bought-1877583

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
concordtom
DiabloWags said:

concordtom said:

Exactly.

Never mind data-brokers who sell our info from credit card companies ... to various DoD agencies.

But cbbass only seems to be concerned with large social media tech firms. Maybe not Bearinsider?

Biden said he would sign any bill effectively banning TikTok or forcing its sale....in an effort to stop its Chinese owners from operating in the U.S.

In my genealogy researching, I'm regularly shocked about how much I can find on people.

I have no idea how the info gets out there on the internet.
Birthdays, addresses, phone numbers, relatives, associates, neighbors…
concordtom
bearister said:

If Bannon said this than he must not be in the orbit anymore. I had read he was the return of the prodigal son.

"Steve Bannon, the one-time adviser to Donald Trump, suggested on Saturday that the former president was paid off after a shift in stance on TikTok."

Steve Bannon Suggests Donald Trump Has Been Bought

https://www.newsweek.com/steve-bannon-suggests-donald-trump-has-been-bought-1877583

Pasted for in-thread context:

"If you get rid of TikTok, Facebook and Zuckerschmuck [CEO Mark Zuckerberg] will double their business," the former president wrote. "I don't want Facebook, who cheated in the last Election, doing better. They are a true Enemy of the People!"

In response to this post, reports noted that the seeming shift in stance from Trump came after a meeting with Jeff Yass, a conservative hedge fund manager who has a $33 billion stake in TikTok. Yass, according to Intelligencer, has been allegedly threatening to pull support from GOP lawmakers who back the bipartisan divestment bill.

Bannon, who led Trump's successful 2016 presidential campaign and served as a White House adviser for the first several months of Trump's presidency, took to Gettr to make his suspicions about the situation clear.

"Simple: Yass Coin," he wrote in a post that included a link to an Axios story about Trump's flip on TikTok.
cbbass1
concordtom said:

cbbass1 said:

Google Analytics, DoubleClick, Facebook, & a few other trackers.

The trackers help the BI guys to know which articles, forums, etc., are popular.

Trackers like Google Analytics (the leader, by far) use information from BI and nearly all the other sites you visit to build & refine a model that organizes & interprets your preferences. Along with your demographic data, this profile is used to sell ads.

This is how Google makes $150 BILLION per year in advertising.

When you use your mobile phone, you have your location & sensor data as well. And many apps have access to your Photos & Files, your Contacts, and even your text messages.
cbbass1
DiabloWags said:

cbbass1 said:

Given the above, I would tend to think that any rational person concerned about their PRIVACY would not have these apps (including TikTok ) on their phone and that the VALUE ADD of being uncensored isn't worth the risk, am I right?
The value add of being uncensored isn't for privacy advocates. It's the basis of the appeal for young people. That and the fact that it's extremely unlikely that any parent or adult that they know would see (& judge) what they post.

The concern about TikTok among U.S. politicians & elites is amusing. The projection is laughable.

Their concern is that young people are getting posts directly from the victims of U.S./Israeli bombing, and get to see them as mercilessly oppressed human beings.

Or that TikTok users might receive content from Chinese Communist Party.

Of course, if they don't want TikTok users to be propagandized by foreign governments, JUST MAYBE we should stop the CIA & NED's propaganda campaigns in other countries. Just sayin'.

Turnabout is fair play, no??

calbear93
cbbass1 said:

DiabloWags said:

cbbass1 said:

The value add of being uncensored isn't for privacy advocates. It's the basis of the appeal for young people. That and the fact that it's extremely unlikely that any parent or adult that they know would see (& judge) what they post.

The concern about TikTok among U.S. politicians & elites is amusing. The projection is laughable.

Their concern is that young people are getting posts directly from the victims of U.S./Israeli bombing, and get to see them as mercilessly oppressed human beings.

Or that TikTok users might receive content from Chinese Communist Party.

Of course, if they don't want TikTok users to be propagandized by foreign governments, JUST MAYBE we should stop the CIA & NED's propaganda campaigns in other countries. Just sayin'.

Turnabout is fair play, no??

I think you are missing the point.

The content is not the asset for state actors. Neither is the platform.

It's the data that states are collecting about individuals.

China, more than any country, has already most likely have accessed backdoor to many of our security system in our major infrastructure. They are not necessarily disrupting, shutting down, or encrypting systems and files at this point because doing so will pivot the conflict, but the ability to shut our way of life down is going to come not from bombs but from incursion into our system.

As we continue to harden our security, how do they continue to gain access? One of the best way is phishing that makes it more and more believable. AI is only going to make it worse, but they have so much data on people with access to important systems, whether utility, corporation, or government. They gather this from personal data that they obtain, including not only your personal data but your behavior, all the preferences that trigger the algorithm to put content you would like in the forefront. That is why TikTok is dangerous. China, being an authoritarian government, can force its companies to release all confidential data.

It's always interesting how sometime the plot is completely missed.

Yes, Meta and Google will also gather the same information. However, they are not state actors that are looking to shut our system down for geopolitical reasons to dominate and make us irrelevant.
DiabloWags
calbear93 said:

China, more than any country, has already most likely have accessed backdoor to many of our security system in our major infrastructure. They are not necessarily disrupting, shutting down, or encrypting systems and files at this point because doing so will pivot the conflict, but the ability to shut our way of life down is going to come not from bombs but from incursion into our system.

As we continue to harden our security, how do they continue to gain access? One of the best way is phishing that makes it more and more believable. AI is only going to make it worse, but they have so much data on people with access to important systems, whether utility, corporation, or government. They gather this from personal data that they obtain, including not only your personal data but your behavior, all the preferences that trigger the algorithm to put content you would like in the forefront. That is why TikTok is dangerous. China, being an authoritarian government, can force its companies to release all confidential data.

Yes, Meta and Google will also gather the same information. However, they are not state actors that are looking to shut our system down for geopolitical reasons to dominate and make us irrelevant.

Well said.

China's counterintelligence and economic espionage efforts are becoming more and more documented and they are certainly at the top of the list for our FBI and Director Chris Wray.

The China Threat FBI

And if you aren't aware that those Chinese built cranes at our Ports have communications gear installed (cellular modems that could be used remotely) - - - you haven't been paying attention.

Espionage Probe Finds Communications Device on Chinese Cranes at U.S. Ports - WSJ

Cal88
DiabloWags said:

calbear93 said:

Well said.

China's counterintelligence and economic espionage efforts are becoming more and more documented and they are certainly at the top of the list for our FBI and Director Chris Wray.

The China Threat FBI

And if you aren't aware that those Chinese built cranes at our Ports have communications gear installed (cellular modems that could be used remotely) - - - you haven't been paying attention.

Espionage Probe Finds Communications Device on Chinese Cranes at U.S. Ports - WSJ

The alarmist language above is geared towards credulous people who have zero grasp of modern supply chain management.

Key logistics/supply chain elements are going to have integrated communications gear, that is a very basic part of current materials handling gear like cranes and the IoT wired network.

https://www.overheadlifting.org/how-the-internet-of-things-benefits-overhead-crane-owners-and-operators/

calbear93
Cal88 said:

DiabloWags said:

calbear93 said:

Well said.

The China Threat FBI

The alarmist language above is geared towards credulous people who have zero grasp of modern supply chain management.

Key logistics/supply chain elements are going to have integrated communications gear, that is a very basic part of current materials handling gear like cranes and the IoT wired network.

https://www.overheadlifting.org/how-the-internet-of-things-benefits-overhead-crane-owners-and-operators/

Alarmist?

That statement really makes me question your other statements that you state confidently.

When was the last time you had any oversight of any company?

Cybersecurity breaches have accelerated so quickly in the last few years. They were already significant breaches with ransomware shutting down operations and data exfiltration exposing confidential information. At this point, receiving a regulatorily required notices of data impact is becoming the norm.

What companies are seeing is acceleration of penetration through access of credentials that hostile actors obtain through phishing and vulnerabilities that are then escalated. There are access brokers who find weaknesses, remain dormant and sell access to various hostile actors, etc. With AI now being able to create deep fakes where, like a recent situation, a person wired $25M based on a video conference call with senior leaders where the person was the only one who was real.

Even Microsoft and HPE recently filed 8-Ks announcing deep breaches by state actors. One of the biggest threats are shut down in utility, hospitals, wireless providers (how many times have T-Mobile been attacked).

https://www.sec.gov/ixviewer/ix.html?doc=/Archives/edgar/data/0001645590/000164559024000009/hpe-20240119.htm

https://www.sec.gov/ixviewer/ix.html?doc=/Archives/edgar/data/0000789019/000119312524011295/d708866d8k.htm

Why do act like you know what you are talking about? Talk to CIOs and CEOs as I have. We have updates on cybersecurity at every single audit committee meeting at my board. During my networking with Global CEO conference, I was shocked how quickly and more advanced the hostile environment is accelerating including not only private actors (many of whom are based on Russia, China and North Korea) but by state actors. China has a division in their military dedicated to cyber warfare. You think it's alarmist? Do you know how much investment still needs to be made in the outdated IT system in our core utility and infrastructure? How sophisticated do you think people who use TikTok and then also work at utility with credential into the system are about more and more realistic phishing attempt from data collected by bad actors about the individuals? Please provide your basis for making your statement.

Talk about choosing ignorance over education.
Cal88
calbear93 said:

Cal88 said:

DiabloWags said:

calbear93 said:

Well said.

The China Threat FBI

Alarmist?

That statement really makes me question your other statements that you state confidently.

Cybersecurity breaches have accelerated so quickly in the last few years. They were already significant breaches with ransomware shutting down operations and data exfiltration exposing confidential information. At this point, receiving a regulatorily required notices of data impact is becoming the norm.

What companies are seeing is acceleration of penetration through access of credentials that hostile actors obtain through phishing and vulnerabilities that are then escalated. There are access brokers who find weaknesses, remain dormant and sell access to various hostile actors, etc. With AI now being able to create deep fakes where, like a recent situation, a person wired $25M based on a video conference call with senior leaders where the person was the only one who was real.

Even Microsoft and HPE recently filed 8-Ks announcing deep breaches by state actors. One of the biggest threats are shut down in utility, hospitals, wireless providers (how many times have T-Mobile been attacked).

https://www.sec.gov/ixviewer/ix.html?doc=/Archives/edgar/data/0001645590/000164559024000009/hpe-20240119.htm

https://www.sec.gov/ixviewer/ix.html?doc=/Archives/edgar/data/0000789019/000119312524011295/d708866d8k.htm

Why do act like you know what you are talking about? Talk to CIOs and CEOs as I have. We have updates on cybersecurity at every single audit committee meeting at my board. During my networking with Global CEO conference, I was shocked how quickly and more advanced the hostile environment is accelerating including not only private actors (many of whom are based on Russia, China and North Korea) but by state actors. China has a division in their military dedicated to cyber warfare. You think it's alarmist? Do you know how much investment still needs to be made in the outdated IT system in our core utility and infrastructure? How sophisticated do you think people who use TikTok and then also work at utility with credential into the system are about more and more realistic phishing attempt from data collected by bad actors about the individuals? Please provide your basis for making your statement.

This is the point that I am addressing above, that DWags has expressed stupefaction at the rather mundane fact of cranes being a part of the data network, as if cranes are being set up as some kind of a spying device:
Quote:

"And if you aren't aware that those Chinese built cranes at our Ports have communications gear installed (cellular modems that could be used remotely) - - - you haven't been paying attention."

Companies have a large number of data points that can be hacked, and a crane is just one of many items in the IoT logistical network. I am not disputing that cybersecurity is a thing, just that the fact that cranes being wired is normal today.
tequila4kapp
TikTok is an agent of the Chinese Communist Party. The CCP is an enemy, a nefarious actor. This is magnitudes different from 'mere' privacy concerns or corporate supply chains.

Trump is wrong. Biden is right.

Screw the big money donors - regardless of party - who want to protect their financial interests. Protect the country.

TikTok is being given the option to sell to a non-CCP affiliated/controlled party. They can avoid the ban with relative ease.
calbear93
Cal88 said:

calbear93 said:

Cal88 said:

DiabloWags said:

calbear93 said:

Well said.

The China Threat FBI

Alarmist?

This is the point that I am addressing above, that DWags has expressed stupefaction at the rather mundane fact of cranes being a part of the data network, as if cranes are being set up as some kind of a spying device:
Quote:

"And if you aren't aware that those Chinese built cranes at our Ports have communications gear installed (cellular modems that could be used remotely) - - - you haven't been paying attention."

Companies have a large number of data points that can be hacked, and a crane is just one of many items in the IoT logistical network. I am not disputing that cybersecurity is a thing, just that the fact that cranes are wired is normal today.

Got it. Sorry for missing the point myself.
DiabloWags
tequila4kapp said:

TikTok is an agent of the Chinese Communist Party. The CCP is an enemy, a nefarious actor. This is magnitudes different from 'mere' privacy concerns or corporate supply chains.

Trump is wrong. Biden is right.

Screw the big money donors - regardless of party - who want to protect their financial interests. Protect the country.

TikTok is being given the option to sell to a non-CCP affiliated/controlled party. They can avoid the ban with relative ease.

Thank You.
Genocide Joe
Now this is a rant. 10/10

Genocide Joe
Quote:

How sophisticated do you think people who use TikTok and then also work at utility with credential into the system are about more and more realistic phishing attempt from data collected by bad actors about the individuals? Please provide your basis for making your statement.

tequila4kapp
Peter Schweizer, investigative reporter and author of Blood Money:

"ByteDance is a company that is joined at the hip to the Chinese Ministry of State Security. They do joint research together on artificial intelligence. The Chinese government has designated the TikTok algorithm as a state secret. This is not just company proprietary information, it is a state secret. And, as I lay out in 'Blood Money,' I quote extensively from Chinese propaganda officials, military officials, they view TikTok as a Trojan Horse and they lay out in great detail how they are already using it to manipulate and drive young people in what they think and what they feel. So, this is a form of what China calls cognitive warfare. *** The notion that a company that works closely with the Ministry of State Security is giving unfettered access to our children and we can't do something about it, we might as well give it up if we can't pass a bill like this.

They're all going to make money, because there's a lot of interest that companies would have in acquiring this asset. So, it's not like they're losing it. … And the investors, the American investors and the Chinese investors, would be made whole. They would make money on this deal. The reason they don't want to end this is they don't want to give up the control and the access to our kids."
calbear93
Genocide Joe said:

Quote:

How sophisticated do you think people who use TikTok and then also work at utility with credential into the system are about more and more realistic phishing attempt from data collected by bad actors about the individuals? Please provide your basis for making your statement.

If an enemy used personal data from TikTok that they then used to further infiltrate any future networks at our most critical infrastructure, it would be a hostile action and not a threat. An enemy who has already infiltrated although not shut down some of key weaker networks through phishing having legal authority to demand personal information collected by a Chinese company is a threat. Not sure how anyone thinks it is not.
tequila4kapp
Genocide Joe said:

Now this is a rant. 10/10

How does allowing CCP to keep control of TikTok put America First?

I cannot think of a single way.
Cal88
Here's something to think about:

Quote:

The First Amendment provides that Congress make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting its free exercise. It protects freedom of speech, the press, assembly, and the right to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
tequila4kapp
Cal88 said:

Quote:

The First Amendment provides that Congress make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting its free exercise. It protects freedom of speech, the press, assembly, and the right to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

No right is absolute.

1st Amendment speech rights have two broad categories of exception:

1. The government can "restrict the time, place, or manner of speech, if the restrictions are unrelated to what the speech says and leave people with enough alternative ways of expressing their views. Thus, for instance, the government may restrict the use of loudspeakers in residential areas at night, limit all demonstrations that block traffic, or ban all picketing of people's homes."

2. Then we have types of speech that are not protected at all: incitement, defamation, fraud, obscenity, child pornography, fighting words, and threats.

As it relates to TikTok users, see category 1 - there are numerous alternative social media options for expressing one's views.

As it relates to TikTok, there's a real argument about whether they are engaging in any speech whatsoever. Social Media have fought for years to declare they are a platform not a publisher. Can't have it both ways. Further, their action - gathering data on US citizens on behalf of the CCP - is not speech. And even if it is somehow speech it is incredibly easy to foresee that national security concerns would trump their right to exist as a CCP state entity (we must always remember this isn't an outright ban; they can sell to a non CCP/Russia/N. Korea/Iran entity and keep on keeping on)
Genocide Joe
tequila4kapp said:

Peter Schweizer, investigative reporter and author of Blood Money:

"ByteDance is a company that is joined at the hip to the Chinese Ministry of State Security. They do joint research together on artificial intelligence. The Chinese government has designated the TikTok algorithm as a state secret. This is not just company proprietary information, it is a state secret. And, as I lay out in 'Blood Money,' I quote extensively from Chinese propaganda officials, military officials, they view TikTok as a Trojan Horse and they lay out in great detail how they are already using it to manipulate and drive young people in what they think and what they feel. So, this is a form of what China calls cognitive warfare. *** The notion that a company that works closely with the Ministry of State Security is giving unfettered access to our children and we can't do something about it, we might as well give it up if we can't pass a bill like this.

They're all going to make money, because there's a lot of interest that companies would have in acquiring this asset. So, it's not like they're losing it. … And the investors, the American investors and the Chinese investors, would be made whole. They would make money on this deal. The reason they don't want to end this is they don't want to give up the control and the access to our kids."
This is my favorite Peter Schweizer tweet that I could find.

This is the cover of his book

I'm more than happy to have anything out there that exposes how corrupt all the people pictured on the cover of this book are, but also know this guy isn't just some neutral investigative reporter. This guy is a big-time GOP China hawk.
tequila4kapp
Genocide Joe said:

I'm more than happy to have anything out there that exposes how corrupt all the people pictured on the cover of this book are, but also know this guy isn't just some neutral investigative reporter. This guy is a big-time GOP China hawk.
See the list of his works. Yes, some likely favorable pieces about Reagan. But overwhelmingly the theme of his work deals with corruption within government, the entitlement of the governing class, how politicians use government to enrich themselves. One of those works is about Jeb Bush. His more recent works that touch on China are very consistent with the themes of his other works. He isn't a China hawk. The more recent focus on China can be attributed to the old line about bank robbers robbing banks because that's where the money is.
Lets Go Brandon 10
tequila4kapp said:

Cal88 said:

Quote:

No right is absolute.

1st Amendment speech rights have two broad categories of exception:

1. The government can "restrict the time, place, or manner of speech, if the restrictions are unrelated to what the speech says and leave people with enough alternative ways of expressing their views. Thus, for instance, the government may restrict the use of loudspeakers in residential areas at night, limit all demonstrations that block traffic, or ban all picketing of people's homes."

2. Then we have types of speech that are not protected at all: incitement, defamation, fraud, obscenity, child pornography, fighting words, and threats.

As it relates to TikTok users, see category 1 - there are numerous alternative social media options for expressing one's views.

As it relates to TikTok, there's a real argument about whether they are engaging in any speech whatsoever. Social Media have fought for years to declare they are a platform not a publisher. Can't have it both ways. Further, their action - gathering data on US citizens on behalf of the CCP - is not speech. And even if it is somehow speech it is incredibly easy to foresee that national security concerns would trump their right to exist as a CCP state entity (we must always remember this isn't an outright ban; they can sell to a non CCP/Russia/N. Korea/Iran entity and keep on keeping on)

tequila4kapp
Respectfully, that's crazy talk. Nobody has said anything about changing TikTok content, just moving ownership away from CCCP.

Social media companies are platforms not publishers. If TT vanished today the same user provider content would move to the next thing.

Reminder: if TT really was an innocent corporation free from CCP influence why is TT source code considered a state secret, why have previous attempts to sell been nixed by the CCP's insistence that source code can't be sold, and why has TT refused Billions of profit to its shareholders via a sale? Answer: the CCP values the intelligence it gathers via the App more than the monetary value of the company.
DiabloWags
The House is fast-tracking and tying a bipartisan effort to crack down on TikTok that could lead to passage of law that forces its sale.

It will be tied to a sweeping aid package for Ukraine and Israel.

Vote scheduled this weekend.

Support Ukraine and Israel.
Or support TikTok.

Edit: Legislation and $95 Billion Aid Package passed.

THANK YOU HOUSE SPEAKER JOHNSON. MAGA!
going4roses
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPRwMyjgc/
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.