Off Topic
Sponsored by

The Odyssey

3,957 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by bearister
dajo9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Back in the days when Hollywood came out with multiple blockbuster movies a year, they were not always good and they were definitely taken for granted by me. And Hollywood really lost me when they seemed to only be able to produce superhero genre movies. So I was thrilled to hear about a blockbuster movie remake of The Odyssey. And my son, who is not a big reader, has always been fascinated by Greek mythology and has actually read The Iliad and The Odyssey was thrilled - so off we went to the theaters.

We were absolutely rewarded. A great movie, absolutely well done. My review last year for One Battle After Another singled out exceptional acting roles. That is not the case for this movie (sorry Matt Damon, who still did a very good job). The greatness in this movie isn't in the acting as much as it is in the timeless story well told. And the effects were really well done but not overdone. Hard to describe but with today's effects they could have easily just shown a man transform into a pig. But they did it differently. Maybe you could say, more artistically. Definitely recommend this one.
tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks for sharing. Hollywood has lost me too and I have grown to pretty much hate the theatre experience. I'll still go, but only for a real reason. This appears to be one.
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Seeing "spectacles" like Spartacus and Ben Hur as a young boy at the Grand Lake Theater triggered my life long love affair with movies.





“Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside”
—Jim Morrison

“I love Cal deeply, by the way, what are the directions to The Portal from Sproul Plaza?”
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?

In the Bay Area, the movie is playing in the full 70mm Imax format (if I have the term correctly) in SF and Dublin (of all places). Is it worth it to go to one of these? Tix are tough to get, but that is one of the reasons the film is getting this buzz.

My daughter and her friends saw it at the Grand Lake the other night.
dajo9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:


In the Bay Area, the movie is playing in the full 70mm Imax format (if I have the term correctly) in SF and Dublin (of all places). Is it worth it to go to one of these? Tix are tough to get, but that is one of the reasons the film is getting this buzz.

My daughter and her friends saw it at the Grand Lake the other night.


Can't say. For us, the imax sold out so we went to the regular version.
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:


In the Bay Area, the movie is playing in the full 70mm Imax format (if I have the term correctly) in SF and Dublin (of all places). Is it worth it to go to one of these? Tix are tough to get, but that is one of the reasons the film is getting this buzz.

My daughter and her friends saw it at the Grand Lake the other night.

Regular 70mm will probably be perfectly fine for most people (I think that's what's at Grand Lake).
ProBonoBear415
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:


In the Bay Area, the movie is playing in the full 70mm Imax format (if I have the term correctly) in SF and Dublin (of all places). Is it worth it to go to one of these? Tix are tough to get, but that is one of the reasons the film is getting this buzz.

My daughter and her friends saw it at the Grand Lake the other night.


Don't sell Director Christopher Nolan and his work short.
He's a PIONEER in 70mm IMAX production.

There's only about 25 IMAX theaters in the United States that are able to produce a true IMAX presentation.
Little known fact, the film is so "heavy" that it needs to be replaced in the camera EVERY 3 MINUTES.

Don't sell Dublin short either.
It's grown from 15,000 to over 71,000 people with an average household income of $215,000

Treat yourself to the IMAX Theater there.

Regal Hacienda Crossings

Regal Hacienda Crossings & IMAX Movie Showtimes & Tickets | Dublin | IMAX

Viewings at 11am - 3pm - 7pm - 11pm




oski003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ProBonoBear415 said:

Big C said:


In the Bay Area, the movie is playing in the full 70mm Imax format (if I have the term correctly) in SF and Dublin (of all places). Is it worth it to go to one of these? Tix are tough to get, but that is one of the reasons the film is getting this buzz.

My daughter and her friends saw it at the Grand Lake the other night.


Don't sell Director Christopher Nolan and his work short.
He's a PIONEER in 70mm IMAX production.

There's only about 25 IMAX theaters in the United States that are able to produce a true IMAX presentation.
Little known fact, the film is so "heavy" that it needs to be replaced in the camera EVERY 3 MINUTES.

Don't sell Dublin short either.
It's grown from 15,000 to over 71,000 people with an average household income of $215,000

Treat yourself to the IMAX Theater there.

Regal Hacienda Crossings

Regal Hacienda Crossings & IMAX Movie Showtimes & Tickets | Dublin | IMAX

Viewings at 11am - 3pm - 7pm - 11pm




Good stuff Wags. I was just talking to my buddy who was a studio exec and he was talking about the weight of the film and how loud the camera is. Apparently, they build a custom device around it to muffle sound so as not to distract the actors.
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tequila4kapp said:

Thanks for sharing. Hollywood has lost me too and I have grown to pretty much hate the theatre experience. I'll still go, but only for a real reason. This appears to be one.


I stopped going to the theater decades ago.
But, it's a better experience than sitting in front of my tv, I admit.
Jurassic Park
Private Ryan
Schindler's List
Top Gun 2

Brought to life as if I was there.
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
'Tis a shame…
Last movie I saw at Grand Lake,
1981




tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I saw it tonight and really enjoyed it. It was the antithesis of normal Hollywood drivel. What a breath of fresh air.
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Got my ticket for a future date.

If movie theaters had 6 am showings more often, I would go to the movies more often.

I thought $28 was pretty reasonable.

(I hope I don't sit next to anybody.)




okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
okaydo said:

Got my ticket for a future date.

If movie theaters had 6 am showings more often, I would go to the movies more often.

I thought $28 was pretty reasonable.

(I hope I don't sit next to anybody.)

















concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I remember when the Matinee was $2.50 and the regular was $4.50, maybe in 1978?
So... let's see...

AI:
Quote:

The average price to see a movie in 1978 was $2.34.

Ticket Cost Details
  • Nominal average price: $2.34 per ticket.
  • Inflation-adjusted context: This amount equals roughly $9.00 to $9.40 in modern purchasing power.



So, I think your $28 is overpaying.
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concordtom said:

I remember when the Matinee was $2.50 and the regular was $4.50, maybe in 1978?
So... let's see...

AI:
Quote:

The average price to see a movie in 1978 was $2.34.

Ticket Cost Details
  • Nominal average price: $2.34 per ticket.
  • Inflation-adjusted context: This amount equals roughly $9.00 to $9.40 in modern purchasing power.



So, I think your $28 is overpaying.


Only 25 theaters in the U.S. and 41 in the world have iMax 70MM, including just one in NYC.

I will get comfortable seats with lots of leg room.




I'll be seeing it on a screen that Nolan personally uses to tweak his film. (The video of him below is of him at CityWalk in April.)

$28 feels like a bargain.


https://instagr.am/p/DWrHzehB2Mp
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saw it at the Grand Lake in Oakland in non-IMAX 70mm and thought it was a great experience (I sat fairly close to the screen). I don't know that you need to break the bank for IMAX here.
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thx. I appreciate your pointing out that it's an experience in High Tech entertainment, not just a "movie".
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
" (I hope I don't sit next to anybody.)"

Watch out for the guy with the duck in his lap that's eating his popcorn.



…..if it's Boebert…..



…..you're good.
“Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside”
—Jim Morrison

“I love Cal deeply, by the way, what are the directions to The Portal from Sproul Plaza?”
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey said:

Saw it at the Grand Lake in Oakland in non-IMAX 70mm and thought it was a great experience (I sat fairly close to the screen). I don't know that you need to break the bank for IMAX here.


I rarely go to the movies.

Universal is like maybe a 15- to 20-minute drive 5 o'clock in the morning. (But I will probably take the subway.)

It's also great to take advantage of living in a place like Los Angeles, not some backwater like New York City, which only has one IMax 70mm screen.

prospeCt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
~ who has been to Mycenae . . .

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2026/jul/29/tony-review-anthony-bourdain-bestselling-memoir-dominic-sessa-antonio-banderas



Anarchistbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Marvel action movie. Not much to do with the myth.
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anarchistbear said:

Marvel action movie. Not much to do with the myth.

There is no one true myth here. Homer is basically a made-up name for a guy who wrote down a version of a story that had been re-told with different elements many times. The movie is perfectly in line with that.
Anarchistbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

Marvel action movie. Not much to do with the myth.

There is no one true myth here. Homer is basically a made-up name for a guy who wrote down a version of a story that had been re-told with different elements many times. The movie is perfectly in line with that.


You're missing the point. There is a character, there is a story, a whole world is described. I agree there is nothing wrong with adaptations, just bad ones.
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Interesting to hear this story be compared to US modern politics and one very naughty bad guy.

I MUST now see the film. This was a fantastic weaving of philosophy with history and Trump.

sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anarchistbear said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

Marvel action movie. Not much to do with the myth.

There is no one true myth here. Homer is basically a made-up name for a guy who wrote down a version of a story that had been re-told with different elements many times. The movie is perfectly in line with that.


You're missing the point. There is a character, there is a story, a whole world is described. I agree there is nothing wrong with adaptations, just bad ones.

There is a character and a story that has been cut up and reinterpreted many times. If you don't like the movie, fine (I do), but it's not some kind of terribly unfaithful version of the story because there's no such thing. Just different storytellers putting their own spin on it.
Aunburdened
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concordtom said:

Interesting to hear this story be compared to US modern politics and one very naughty bad guy.

I MUST now see the film. This was a fantastic weaving of philosophy with history and Trump.



Sometimes, I like to click on crackpot liberal content just to see if I can guess who produced it.

I didn't guess correctly here, but I'm not shocked it was Ezra Klein either.

Of course, I could have just looked at the small type in the upper left corner.
Aun "unburdened by what has been" Bear is the OG legend
- DaddyLegend 9/6/2026
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So you clicked.
But did you listen?
Aunburdened
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concordtom said:

So you clicked.
But did you listen?

Of course not.

A. It's Ezra Klein
B. You think it's good
C. It's more "everything is about Orange Man Bad" clickbait

Any one of those three would have been enough reason to ignore, but put all three together and I've got better ways to spend my time.
Aun "unburdened by what has been" Bear is the OG legend
- DaddyLegend 9/6/2026
dajo9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anarchistbear said:

Marvel action movie. Not much to do with the myth.


I remember thinking the opposite. The characters in The Odyssey are shown to be weak, failing, humans. Even Odysseus. That is 1 of the things I liked about it in contrast to Marvel movies.

The end scene is different but as I understand it, that was faithful to the story because the Gods had empowered Odysseus by then. Except the Nolan story mostly removed the Gods.
Censorship has always been a tool of the fascist
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aunburdened said:

concordtom said:

So you clicked.
But did you listen?

Of course not.

A. It's Ezra Klein
B. You think it's good
C. It's more "everything is about Orange Man Bad" clickbait

Any one of those three would have been enough reason to ignore, but put all three together and I've got better ways to spend my time.

That must mean that spending your time with me ranks higher than Ezra Klein.
Wow! Thank you for the compliment!

No, actually, I don't think you truly feel that way about me.

Instead, it must be that what you value more than both Ezra and me is spending your time insulting strangers on the Internet.

Go, you!
Great contribution to society!
tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concordtom said:

Interesting to hear this story be compared to US modern politics and one very naughty bad guy.

I MUST now see the film. This was a fantastic weaving of philosophy with history and Trump.


I feel sorry for those of you who cannot experience things if it isn't through the lense of Trump.
tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anarchistbear said:

Marvel action movie. Not much to do with the myth.
I disagree. Marvel action movies are fundamentally good guy vs bad guy with variables for how good guy got his super powers. Blah blah blah. Boring. This movie is literally the opposite - our protagonist has no super powers and his odyssey is ultimately a journey of introspection, with implications for society.
Anarchistbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tequila4kapp said:

Anarchistbear said:

Marvel action movie. Not much to do with the myth.
I disagree. Marvel action movies are fundamentally good guy vs bad guy with variables for how good guy got his super powers. Blah blah blah. Boring. This movie is literally the opposite - our protagonist has no super powers and his odyssey is ultimately a journey of introspection, with implications for society.


The dialogue is awful, characters weak and Matt Damon is miscast.

Odysseus does have superpowers, supplied by the Gods although in this version Athena is not her blood thirsty self but some mousy muse. And Odysseus was not some ptsd brooding guy. The sack of Troy is mentioned in passing in the Odyssey; there was no description of it or scene. Nolan made it central. In fact they sacked another city on the way home. And it doesn't even make sense. After his "therapy" for breaking the code of hospitality, he compensates by breaking the code of hospitality and slaughtering the suitors.
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dajo9 said:

Anarchistbear said:

Marvel action movie. Not much to do with the myth.


I remember thinking the opposite. The characters in The Odyssey are shown to be weak, failing, humans. Even Odysseus. That is 1 of the things I liked about it in contrast to Marvel movies.

The end scene is different but as I understand it, that was faithful to the story because the Gods had empowered Odysseus by then. Except the Nolan story mostly removed the Gods.

I would argue that even if the Gods mostly do not have speaking roles they are still in the story.
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tequila4kapp said:

concordtom said:

Interesting to hear this story be compared to US modern politics and one very naughty bad guy.

I MUST now see the film. This was a fantastic weaving of philosophy with history and Trump.


I feel sorry for those of you who cannot experience things if it isn't through the lense of Trump.

And I feel sorry for those of you who are poorly educated. Or at least unable to apply the education you've attained.

Jesus said, "Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do,"

SpanishAmerican philosopher George Santayana Said, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

I've been connecting the dots here for years. I, and many others here, have explained the phenomena in psychological detail, from both who the charlatan leader and his leadership posse are to what the motivations and blindnesses of the masses are.

It has been foreseen, and we merely await the coming outcome. Some of these predictions have a few dates on them. You know the ones. November. November. January. Others are baked into the economy and inflate like a broiling cauldron with the lid on tight. Happy Days Are Here Again? Oh really?

You'll call me a madman.
That's fine.
I'll sit next to other esteemed madmen.


Friend, Tequila, Donald Trump is like the flickering flame you can see, but cannot grasp - yet it burns. He is a powerful electromagnetic field that you can measure, but if you get too close it shocks.

I've compared him to Napoleon and Hitler.
I'll compare my own self here to, perhaps, others. Maybe one day you'll see that the writing has been on the wall the whole time, and the only thing that can stop him from himself is, well, that thing that gets me banned.

Quote:


Roger Babson

Predicted: In 1929, warned that "sooner or later a crash is coming."
Reaction: Laughed off by Wall Street.
Outcome: The Great Depression struck months later.

Winston Churchill

Predicted: In the 1930s, repeatedly warned about Hitler's rise and German rearmament.
Reaction: Branded an alarmist, ignored by much of Parliament.
Outcome: World War II proved him right.

George Kennan

Predicted: In 1946, warned of Soviet expansionism in his "Long Telegram."
Reaction: Seen as overly pessimistic by some.
Outcome: His analysis became the foundation of U.S. Cold War policy.

Raghuram Rajan

Predicted: In 2005, warned that financial innovation and risktaking could trigger a global crisis.
Reaction: Called "Luddite" by economists at the time.
Outcome: The 2008 financial crisis vindicated him.

Jan Masaryk

Predicted: Warned in 194748 that Czechoslovakia would fall under Soviet domination.
Reaction: Considered paranoid by some Western diplomats.
Outcome: The Communist coup of 1948 proved him right.



And now, I'll wrap this post full circle.

The stories of Homer, Hesiod, and the tragedians weren't just entertainment; they were allegories for life and nature, teaching lessons about ourselves and the forces that govern existence.

They were signposts on the road of life trying to equally advise us of how to attain glory and warn us of pitfalls and doom.


The modern road signs have played out for years. Yet, it is the folly of man that we cannot see them, again and again.

The glorious play goes on.

I will be visiting this recently excavated Theater in Cartagena,Spain in 3.5 weeks near our family home. Because of you, Tequila, I will envision DJT as a character placed on stage. Heroic triumph? Comedy? Tragedy?

We'll know in 20 years. Stay alive and keep watching.



Page 1 of 2 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.