Off Topic
Sponsored by

The Odyssey

3,959 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by bearister
Anarchistbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concordtom said:

tequila4kapp said:

concordtom said:

Interesting to hear this story be compared to US modern politics and one very naughty bad guy.

I MUST now see the film. This was a fantastic weaving of philosophy with history and Trump.


I feel sorry for those of you who cannot experience things if it isn't through the lense of Trump.

And I feel sorry for those of you who are poorly educated. Or at least unable to apply the education you've attained.

Jesus said, "Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do,"

SpanishAmerican philosopher George Santayana Said, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

I've been connecting the dots here for years. I, and many others here, have explained the phenomena in psychological detail, from both who the charlatan leader and his leadership posse are to what the motivations and blindnesses of the masses are.

It has been foreseen, and we merely await the coming outcome. Some of these predictions have a few dates on them. You know the ones. November. November. January. Others are baked into the economy and inflate like a broiling cauldron with the on tight. Happy Days Are Here Again? Oh really?

You'll call me a madman.
That's fine.
I'll sit next to man esteemed madmen.


Trump's a minor problem. Go see the Odyssey
tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It appears from your post that you only became interested in seeing The Odyssey when you learned of a Trump-centric interpretation. From afar that seems potentially unhealthy. I would say the exact same thing to anyone who loves Trump and only decided to see the movie because of a hypothetical pro-Trump interpretation. That does not mean I like Trump, approve of Trump, or anything else Trump. It means I am concerned for you.
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Odyssey movie is commenting on the current state of the world for sure, but I don't know that I'd say it's specifically "about Trump." I haven't heard Ezra Klein's full argument yet.
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey said:

The Odyssey movie is commenting on the current state of the world for sure, but I don't know that I'd say it's specifically "about Trump." I haven't heard Ezra Klein's full argument yet.


I'll have to listen again,, sure, but when I saw that Hollywood was releasing some grand retelling it made me think of lame blockbuster Marvel tales of dragons and superheroes.

Never did I think it would be an allegory to today's world - a mirror, perhaps, for us to see ourselves with.

Those are the types of films I like. The ones that make me think. And learn.
tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I saw parallels between Zeus' law and what many flavors of Christianity tell us Jesus says about how to treat people and the world we should create. I won't say anything more ... no spoilers.
Cal88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Are there going to be any spoilers for those who have read the book, which I presume 99% of Cal grads have?

It is pretty normal for movies to reflect the current zeitgeist, except for some films that manage to be more visionary.
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?

concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'd better go dash out to see today's matinee before spoilers are revealed.
dajo9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal88 said:

Are there going to be any spoilers for those who have read the book, which I presume 99% of Cal grads have?

It is pretty normal for movies to reflect the current zeitgeist, except for some films that manage to be more visionary.


I doubt 99% have read the book. I haven't.
Censorship has always been a tool of the fascist
oski003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

Are there going to be any spoilers for those who have read the book, which I presume 99% of Cal grads have?

It is pretty normal for movies to reflect the current zeitgeist, except for some films that manage to be more visionary.


I doubt 99% have read the book. I haven't.


I have read the Iliad, the Odyssey, and the Aeneid. Maybe 50/50 for Cal grads on the Odyssey. If they hadn't read it in high school, I doubt too many stem majors would read it.
Anarchistbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal88 said:

Are there going to be any spoilers for those who have read the book, which I presume 99% of Cal grads have?

It is pretty normal for movies to reflect the current zeitgeist, except for some films that manage to be more visionary.


There aren't any spoilers. The hero prevails, bad guys are slaughtered. Nolan spares us the follow up where Odysseus orders Telemachus to kill the unfaithful slave girls for consorting with the suitors and he has them clean up the carnage then herds them into a courtyard where they are hanged. Too bad, would've been a nice visual

This film isn't visionary- it's kind of like Oppenheimer, a good man wracked by guilt but the moral order in the ancient world was much more complex than this simple take.
tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Perhaps spoiler was the wrong word. Nolan fiddles with the story some. As but one example, the ending is not true to the book. I was thinking of those things. Sheesh, tough crowd.
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How generous of you.




When people tell us who they are, believe them.
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anarchistbear said:

Cal88 said:

Are there going to be any spoilers for those who have read the book, which I presume 99% of Cal grads have?

It is pretty normal for movies to reflect the current zeitgeist, except for some films that manage to be more visionary.


There aren't any spoilers. The hero prevails, bad guys are slaughtered. Nolan spares us the follow up where Odysseus orders Telemachus to kill the unfaithful slave girls for consorting with the suitors and he has them clean up the carnage then herds them into a courtyard where they are hanged. Too bad, would've been a nice visual

This film isn't visionary- it's kind of like Oppenheimer, a good man wracked by guilt but the moral order in the ancient world was much more complex than this simple take.

Thanks for nothing. Now that I know that bad guys are slaughtered, that removes all the suspense for me. Not going!
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This guy from Remember the Titans



Saving Private Ryan




and Sons of Anarchy



…is in The Odyssey.
“Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside”
—Jim Morrison

“I love Cal deeply, by the way, what are the directions to The Portal from Sproul Plaza?”
Refresh
Page 2 of 2 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.