Off Topic
Sponsored by

Local op-ed on academic decline of incoming Cal students

1,152 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by BearlySane88
BearBones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Title: "I teach calculus at Berkeley. Some of my students can't do middle school math

Since the University of California abandoned the SAT and ACT, thousands of faculty say it's admitting students who aren't prepared for the coursework. Will UC listen?"

https://sfstandard.com/opinion/2026/08/15/uc-berkeley-sat-test-blind-admissions-math-scores/
tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Excellent read. Thanks for sharing.
Cal88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

One student I'll call him Elias was admitted to a top University of California engineering program. His family was thrilled though surprised. Math had been his weakest subject in high school, but they assumed the university had seen something they hadn't.


I thought these students with deficient math backgrounds were majoring in humanities, it's outrageous that they are admitted to Cal STEM programs.
tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
From the article, for those who will not read it:

"Both (Nadia and Elias - pseudonyms) took California's standardized math assessment as juniors in 2024.

Both later applied to UC Berkeley.

Two real Bay Area high schools put numbers to this pattern. At Dougherty Valley High School in San Ramon, 432 of 756 juniors exceeded California's math standard in 2024, as measured by SBAC. Of the school's 542 Berkeley applicants that fall, 44 were admitted an acceptance rate of 8%.

At Mission High School in San Francisco, 193 of 202 juniors did not meet the state math standard. Yet Berkeley admitted 34 of the school's 76 applicants a 45% acceptance rate.

Based on those figures, at least 174 Dougherty Valley students who exceeded the state benchmark were rejected, and a student with Nadia's academic record would have been among them.

At least 25 Mission High students who failed to meet the benchmark were admitted, and a student with Elias' academic record could have been among them."
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Doing away with standardized tests was a wild idea that never actually accomplished what its proponents said it would.
tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mission HS appears to be a pretty mediocre HS - ranked poorly in the state, etc. How are they getting such an abnormally high acceptance rate?
GrinandBearit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tequila4kapp said:

Mission HS appears to be a pretty mediocre HS - ranked poorly in the state, etc. How are they getting such an abnormally high acceptance rate?

Are you actually asking the question or is this rhetorical? Demographics might lead you to the answer.
When you start with a conclusion, you tend to find evidence that agrees with it.
tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GrinandBearit said:

tequila4kapp said:

Mission HS appears to be a pretty mediocre HS - ranked poorly in the state, etc. How are they getting such an abnormally high acceptance rate?

Are you actually asking the question or is this rhetorical? Demographics might lead you to the answer.

I am hoping it is not demographics, so I am actually asking.
GrinandBearit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tequila4kapp said:

GrinandBearit said:

tequila4kapp said:

Mission HS appears to be a pretty mediocre HS - ranked poorly in the state, etc. How are they getting such an abnormally high acceptance rate?

Are you actually asking the question or is this rhetorical? Demographics might lead you to the answer.

I am hoping it is not demographics, so I am actually asking.

I wish and hope it isn't also but i's the only factor I see that is different, race and economic status.

Mission
Two thirds come from low income households.
71% Hispanic/Latino
10% Black/African American
7% Asian
7% White

Dougherty
Affluent community, high income households.
80% Asian
7% White
5% Hispanic/Latino
2% Black/African American

When you start with a conclusion, you tend to find evidence that agrees with it.
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tequila4kapp said:

GrinandBearit said:

tequila4kapp said:

Mission HS appears to be a pretty mediocre HS - ranked poorly in the state, etc. How are they getting such an abnormally high acceptance rate?

Are you actually asking the question or is this rhetorical? Demographics might lead you to the answer.

I am hoping it is not demographics, so I am actually asking.

It's likely their attempt to do affirmative action without doing it.
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?

I can't speak to the academic quality/capabilities/achievements of Mission HS's students but, for a number of years now, they have been touted as a top school in terms of getting their students into colleges. Often students whose parents didn't attend college.

Hot take: maybe they are doing it through a combination of easy grading, college counseling and the no-SAT/ACT rules. It'll be interesting to see what happens after the SAT is reinstituted.

GPA may still be the best single indicator we have, but there is a lot of randomness to it depending on the school, the class, the teacher, etc. Not all 4.3 students are alike!
dajo9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I dont think this is anything new. I believe UC Berkeley has always strived for geographic diversity. The main reason Mission has such a relatively high acceptance rate is because the other school had 7x more applicants. The Mission kids are self selecting out and not applying. Denominators matter.

But the scenario described goes back at least to the 1990s. I know because I was one of those kids. My high school in San Bernardino had 3 attend UC Berkeley from my year. I bet our acceptance rate was pretty good too as most kids at my high didnt know about UC Berkeley. I heard about many kids from Lowell HS (I think) who had better scores than me and did not get in. Geographic diversity. I bet my high school had a higher acceptance rate than Lowell HS.
Censorship has always been a tool of the fascist
tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you google Mission and ranking it's pretty well crap according to multiple separate sources. About the only thing it seems to have going for it is the number of kids who get accepted to ucb.
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't mind some of the demographic stuff being used as sort of a "tie breaker", but when you totally compromise academic qualifications and achievements, you get crap... for everybody involved. And that's the problem with GPA / grade inflation / no SAT. Tons of kids apply with a high GPA but it doesn't mean that much.
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

I don't mind some of the demographic stuff being used as sort of a "tie breaker", but when you totally compromise academic qualifications and achievements, you get crap... for everybody involved. And that's the problem with GPA / grade inflation / no SAT. Tons of kids apply with a high GPA but it doesn't mean that much.

Yup, this is kind of why you needed the SAT, as another way to weed out the kids who benefitted from grade inflation or other things.
Cal88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
At the very least, if a kid from a disadvantaged background showed a lot of promise, leadership and potential but had some gaps in their academic baggage, send them to JC on a deferred admission conditional on doing well with the required coursework.
BearlySane88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal88 said:

At the very least, if a kid from a disadvantaged background showed a lot of promise, leadership and potential but had some gaps in their academic baggage, send them to JC on a deferred admission conditional on doing well with the required coursework.


Do UC's still do this? Is so, yes to this for sure
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.