Paul Ryan appreciation thread

42 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearister
dajo9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
iwantwinners said:

dajo9 said:

iwantwinners said:

out of curiosity, if MSM isn't "liberal" what is it? What is CNN, MSLSD? You're not going to assert they're conservative. Are they "neutral"? Not likely either by anybody who doesn't have an ideological agenda. Outside of Fox, what broadcast networks are NOT liberal?

Paul Ryan "survived" like 10 terms because his district liked him. A lot.

They are establishment and ratings driven. Corporate.

MSNBC has some liberal shows in the evening.
The establishment and corporate political culture are liberal. It's not sincere all the time, but the execution is liberal.

The fact that so many people mistakenly believe this is why the corporate establishment is able to rob this country blind. You've been conned, iwantwinners
American Vermin
iwantwinners
dajo9 said:

iwantwinners said:

dajo9 said:

iwantwinners said:

out of curiosity, if MSM isn't "liberal" what is it? What is CNN, MSLSD? You're not going to assert they're conservative. Are they "neutral"? Not likely either by anybody who doesn't have an ideological agenda. Outside of Fox, what broadcast networks are NOT liberal?

The establishment and corporate political culture are liberal. It's not sincere all the time, but the execution is liberal.

The fact that so many people mistakenly believe this is why the corporate establishment is able to rob this country blind. You've been conned, iwantwinners
It's like you believe liberals can't be nihilistic, evil crooks
dajo9
iwantwinners said:

dajo9 said:

iwantwinners said:

dajo9 said:

iwantwinners said:

It's like you believe liberals can't be nihilistic, evil crooks

For most of us, when we use large sweeping, generic terms like corporate and establishment we think the reader understands that we are talking about the average of a large group, making the actions of an individual irrelevant.

But I guess i should reconsider. Fox News has made a living showing the actions of an individual crazy liberal and then tarring millions with that action. Apparently lots of people are susceptible to that level of stupidity.
American Vermin
Another Bear
The average age of Fox News viewers is 68. In about 5 years those folks will be dead.
Another Bear
Speaker Paul Ryan forces out the House chaplain
Quote:

The move has sparked anger among Democrats and defenders of the Jesuit priest, who was appointed seven years ago by then-Speaker John Boehner.
Quote:

WASHINGTON House Speaker Paul Ryan has ousted the chaplain of the House of Representatives, according to his resignation letter a move that's angered Democrats and defenders of the Jesuit priest.

The Rev. Patrick Conroy wrote in an April 15 letter to Ryan that was obtained by NBC News, "As you have requested, I hereby offer my resignation as the 60th Chaplain of the United States House of Representatives."

"The position is one which I did not seek nor strive to assume, but I have seen it as a blessing and I have considered it one of the great privileges of my life," Conroy said.

Ryan announced his decision to not seek re-election and retire from Congress on April 11, a few days before Conroy's resignation letter.

Ryan spokeswoman AshLee Strong said Conroy made the decision to resign. "The speaker consulted with the minority leader, but the decision was his," Strong said, referring to Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif. "He remains grateful for Father Conroy's service."

There have been concerns about the pastor being too partisan.

Conroy has been blunt in some of his remarks, including in a prayer about the GOP tax bill on the House floor on Nov. 6, 2017, before the legislation was passed and signed into law by President Donald Trump.

"As legislation on taxes continues to be debated this week and next, may all members be mindful that the institutions and structures of our great nation guarantee the opportunities that have allowed some to achieve great success, while others continue to struggle," Conroy said.

"May their efforts these days guarantee that there are not winners and losers under new tax laws, but benefits balanced and shared by all Americans," he added.

When Ryan gave Pelosi advance notice about Conroy's departure, she made it clear that she disagreed with the speaker and that she had had only received positive feedback about Conroy's service, a Pelosi aide said.

Rep. Gerry Connolly, D-Va., expressed outrage in a tweet on Thursday afternoon: "Speaker Ryan fires House Chaplain? Is nothing sacred?"

Then-Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, nominated Conroy as the chaplain in May 2011, in consultation with Pelosi, and he was sworn in that month.

A spokeswoman for the House chaplain's office, Karen Bronson, said the office had no comment.

When Pope Francis visited Congress in 2015, Conroy asked the Pope if he could bless him and the Pope was happy to received the House chaplain's blessing.
Cheap political move, in the face of God. Seriously, Boehner and Pelosi are both Catholic and checked off. What's Ryan's deal? Not enough hate going around? Opus Dei groupie?
Peanut Gallery Consultant
golden sloth
Another Bear said:

Cheap political move, in the face of God. Seriously, Boehner and Pelosi are both Catholic and checked off. What's Ryan's deal? Not enough hate going around? Opus Dei groupie?
Let's be honest, the position of House Chaplain shouldn't even exist. Separation of Church and State should mean that there are no positions like this. There should be no need for a government sponsored Chaplain for symbolic or ceremonial services. Religion should not be integrated into government in this way.
Another Bear
I agree there shouldn't be a chaplain except tradition says there's should one in place. Ryan had to inject politics into something other Catholics were okay with it, like Boehner. That seems like petty divisiveness and a cheap shot upon exiting.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
AunBear89
golden sloth said:

Another Bear said:

Let's be honest, the position of House Chaplain shouldn't even exist. Separation of Church and State should mean that there are no positions like this. There should be no need for a government sponsored Chaplain for symbolic or ceremonial services. Religion should not be integrated into government in this way.
Unless there are also a House Rabbi, a House Imam, a House Swami, a house Druid, and a House High Priestess, there should be no House Chaplain.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
bearister
Too bad the Bhagwan died. It would have been a great Plan B.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
going4roses
bearister
"He had a number of complaints that the chaplain was not meeting the pastoral needs of the members in general," said Mike Coffman, a representative from Colorado."

Yeah, a bunch of Right Wing Evangelical Bible thumpers have "pastoral needs" that a Jesuit priest is going to satisfy. They need a Televangelist with a hooker problem for that.

going4roses
Lol
Another Bear
And Now, For His Grand Finale, Paul Ryan Is Trying to Kick at Least a Million People Off of Food Stamps

Doing the work of Jesus once again...what a guy!
NYCGOBEARS
After taking $30 mil from Adelson. Whadda guy!
bearister
Pretty sure the communion wafer doesn't dissolve in his mouth.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.