Democrats unveil their strategy for the mid-terms

4,401 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by golden sloth
Another Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
19 y.o.'s came out to vote for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. I think the youth know they're voting for their future.

Stayer or Soros should drop some "get out the vote" funds.
golden sloth
sycasey said:

I recommend reading the rest of the article. The overall % of young voters is important, but less important than the turnout relative to the usual midterm election.

Quote:

And it's actually a big improvement for Democrats compared to past midterms. In the 2014 midterms, when Democrats lost control of the Senate, only 13 percent of young voters participated, according to the census.

I read the rest of the article, and although the current number is an improvement on 2014, they are still about 40 points behind the boomers. That has to change. Young people need to take their future into their hands, and dislodge the boomer generations that are plundering their future.
sycasey
golden sloth said:

sycasey said:

I recommend reading the rest of the article. The overall % of young voters is important, but less important than the turnout relative to the usual midterm election.

Quote:

And it's actually a big improvement for Democrats compared to past midterms. In the 2014 midterms, when Democrats lost control of the Senate, only 13 percent of young voters participated, according to the census.

I read the rest of the article, and although the current number is an improvement on 2014, they are still about 40 points behind the boomers. That has to change. Young people need to take their future into their hands, and dislodge the boomer generations that are plundering their future.
Virtually all generations have started voting in greater numbers as they age. I suspect Millennials will be no different.

Boomers were also an unreliable voting bloc when they were in their 20s.
golden sloth

It appears that in at least some of Trump country, people believe Republicans are more corrupt than Democrats, and more importantly the Independents believe Republicans are more corrupt than Democrats. Also, the cohort that the corruption message resonates the most with is the white voters without college educations aka Trump's core demographic.
Quote:

Conducted the first week of July, the poll found 54 percent of voters across 48 GOP-controlled congressional districts said Republicans are "more corrupt" than Democrats, with 46 percent arguing that Democrats were more corrupt.

Independents are even tougher on the GOP: 60 percent of independents polled said that Republicans are responsible for the majority of corruption taking place in Washington. Moreover, 56 percent of Republicans said Congress is not checking the Trump administration enough, and 57 percent of independents agree.

Interestingly, the corruption message seems particularly effective with white voters without college educations, while a focus on jobs and health care works well with nonwhite voters and supporters of Hillary Clinton. Per the poll:

https://www.vox.com/2018/7/20/17590908/gop-corrupt-dnc-platform-2018-midterms
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.