I was reading the article linked below, and they had a few interesting tidbits about Trump's polling numbers:

For example, for all the turmoil and chaos, Trump's polling numbers are the most consistent in history.
Quote:

Sure, 45 percent, or his current 42 percent, is higher than Trump's April low of 38 percent, or his all-time Gallup low, last seen in December, of 35 percent. But his numbers have held within a very narrow range since his inauguration. Indeed, Trump's approval has actually been the most stable of any president in polling history, as this chart from Charles Franklin shows:

It appears that the remarkable consistency is because neither side is budging with regards to preconceptions.

And its important to remember, most people don't care as much on the people on this board:
Quote:

They follow politics episodically and casually, if at all. And so, far from being deeply engaged by the cycle of outrage-and-response that Trump triggers, they ignore most of it and make their judgments based on vaguer, more occasional impressions of political news filtered through a sense of the world around them.

This is another reason I'm skeptical of Allen and VandeHei's interpretation of the link between Trump's poll numbers and his tweets and actions. It assumes that too much of the public is glued to the Trump show, when for all Trump's magnetism, even now, that's not true. Much of the country, particularly at this point in Trump's presidency, is tuning the daily drama in Washington out.
Though I do wonder if that is possible given how much Trump dominates the news. How can anybody have a passing interest in the news of the day? I would think it is very hard to tune out all the drama. It is everywhere from the news, to talk shows, to social media, how is it possible to block it out. Seriously, I'd love a little vacation from the news.

But really I just wanted to share this quote, because I acknowledge and accept that I am very, very weird:
Quote:

The other dynamic here is that Trump's Twitter feed is a lot more salient to political obsessives than to most Americans. It's always worth remembering: If you sought out an article on Trump's poll numbers and made it 1,200 words in and if you're here, you did and you have you're very weird.

https://www.vox.com/explainers/2018/7/5/17531360/donald-trump-poll-numbers-popularity