Great tennis match at Wimbleton

657 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by concordtom
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What in terms of power may have been the greatest match played, South African and Illinois alum 6'8" Kevin Anderson outlasted 6'10" American John Isner 7-6 (8-6) 6-7 (5-7) 6-7 (9-11) 6-4 26-24 at the All England Club in the second longest singles match in grand slam history. The epic encounter captivated fans for six hours and 36 minutes. Both set records for number of service aces and dominated in holding serve. I saw the last 30 minutes of the match after receiving an email to watch. Both players looked exhausted and were visibly limping (apparently both developed blisters and foot pain). The main takeaway from their media conferences was whether tennis should look at introducing fifth set tiebreaks as both men argued for a rule change to prevent players from being gassed for the next match. (Anderson had a long match the preceding day in beating Federer in 5 sets). They may have caught a break as the other semifinal was stopped due to curfew given that how long the Andersen/Isner match took, and will continue tomorrow, meaning Andersen will now be a day fresher than the winner between Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic.
concordtom
I heard about it. After.
Crazy that Isner was involved (winning) in the longest ever match in 2011, I think it was.

So talk, he must have a far superior serve but cannot return.
wifeisafurd
concordtom said:

I heard about it. After.
Crazy that Isner was involved (winning) in the longest ever match in 2011, I think it was.

So talk, he must have a far superior serve but cannot return.
The guy he played also has a huge serve. If these guys could return like Federer or Jocko, no one could beat them. I suppose this is for tennis buffs, but I presume these big hitters have only mediocre ground strokes?
wifeisafurd
Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic also went 5 sets with an extra log set. Two excellent semis.
concordtom
I saw a good amount of that 2011 Isner epic. It got to be funny.
Isner is not so mobile around the court. Huge serve and pretty good elsewhere. He's been around a long time. The top guys beat him. Djokavic will win tomorrow.

I never heard of the South African opponent.

Serena didn't play well enough at all.
She's significantly heavier, to be expected, and made a lot of unforced errors vs Kerber.
Kerber was impressive. Muscular legs, by the way, consistent strokes.
Nice speeches by players post match and post hug. Good sport!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.